Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14733
Default Big Coaching Moves Help Browns

No longer will the Browns be the laughing stock of the AFCN. So far they are the most improved team this offseason. With the addition of Norv to run the offense, look for Richardson to finally break out. He's always loved his rb's and Richardson can be just as good as LT was for him. The offense has improved at the WR position and they have the best Oline in the north. The only issue is Weeden, who we've made look like Elway with bad coaching.

On D they didn't have much need to improve and may have taken a step backwards by switching to a 3-4, however you can't deny their talent on that side of the ball. Hiring Horton was a steal and along with Norv provides a strong foundation for the Browns in the future. I thought the hiring of Chud was a dud, but only because there was so much talk about them going big. Chud I believe can be a good coaching hire mainly because of the strong staff he brought in.

Only "good news" is the hiring of Lombardi. What a joke.

Other than that, This may be the year Cleveland actually makes 8+ wins....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18257
Default Re: Big Coaching Moves Help Browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
No longer will the Browns be the laughing stock of the AFCN. So far they are the most improved team this offseason. With the addition of Norv to run the offense, look for Richardson to finally break out. He's always loved his rb's and Richardson can be just as good as LT was for him. The offense has improved at the WR position and they have the best Oline in the north. The only issue is Weeden, who we've made look like Elway with bad coaching.

On D they didn't have much need to improve and may have taken a step backwards by switching to a 3-4, however you can't deny their talent on that side of the ball. Hiring Horton was a steal and along with Norv provides a strong foundation for the Browns in the future. I thought the hiring of Chud was a dud, but only because there was so much talk about them going big. Chud I believe can be a good coaching hire mainly because of the strong staff he brought in.

Only "good news" is the hiring of Lombardi. What a joke.

Other than that, This may be the year Cleveland actually makes 8+ wins....
Their D is always scary and tough to play.. add in a Offense and Richardson playing with a year of playing time under his belt..Wheeden looked good. They need to get some Receivers in there so he isn't throwing to bums.. Cleveland could challenge or take the divsion in next 5 years.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzberg06 View Post
Their D is always scary and tough to play.. add in a Offense and Richardson playing with a year of playing time under his belt..Wheeden looked good. They need to get some Receivers in there so he isn't throwing to bums.. Cleveland could challenge or take the divsion in next 5 years.
I agree. I don't think Weeden is extremely terrible for being a rookie. He did make some horrible decisions but he has absolutely nobody to throw it to. Josh Gordon is coming along but he's been more of a deep threat than an actual reliable receiver. Richardson is a good back and runs hard. They have the pieces there, they just need to give it time. I think the more they take the rebuilding path (where they dismantle everything every year or two) will hurt them. They need to give this group a chance.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7859

I'm not worried about the Browns. The new staff refuses to commit to him, which is understandable since they didn't draft him, but it's looking very likely that they'll have 3 starting QBs in 3 years. That kind of constant turnover isn't good for anyone.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13623

I like what the Browns are doing. You obviously have to give Weeden another year to see what you've got in him. Give him someone to complement Gordon (Little isn't that guy) and that can be a scary offense to go with an already good defense. They were pretty banged up on D this year.

I could see them being serious contenders for the division in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1802

Regarding Norv Turner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmerga View Post
Personally I think he is a little overrated. He is good, but if you actually look at his resume' it isn't like he turn around offenses quickly.

"Expectations have to be tempered with Turner. His last two stints as coordinator haven't been instant restoration projects. Under Turner, the Dolphins offense finished 15th in 2002 and 24th in 2003. His last stop as coordinator was 2006 in San Francisco, where the offense was 26th in the league but quarterback Alex Smith showed signs of a turnaround."
Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...oup-for-browns

and as Lebe1983 said in the comments:

"Overrated garbage coach. If they want to tout how he developed Philip Rivers, let's look at Phillip Rivers the last two seasons?

How about his numerous other failings? I'm just saying, a coach who has been with 7 teams since 2000, a losing record, and a resume full of under performing teams, isn't a keeper.

Are any of these teams memorable?
2000 Redskins?
2001 Chargers?
2002-2003 Dolphins
2005-2005 Raiders
2006 49ers
2007-20012 Chargers (A few good teams here at the start with that loaded Marty Ball roster)

To me, everywhere Norv Turner has been for the last 13 years has been a underperforming or very bad team. He hasn't turned any of them around. The Chargers were a loaded 14-2 team when he got them and has since driven them into a wall.

It figures the Browns would hire this clown. Same team that drafts 29 year old rookies--some things never change.

I wouldn't even hire Norv Turner to clean my pool."

Last edited by Pezmerga; 01-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13562

On paper this looks like a pretty good move for the Browns. They have strong defense, versatile runningback, strong arm qb, decent offensive line etc.. All they really need to be able to run this system effectively is a good TE and another wideout alongside the developing Josh Gordon. I wouldnt sleep on this move especially depending on how the Browns draft and FA goes.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
On paper this looks like a pretty good move for the Browns. They have strong defense, versatile runningback, strong arm qb, decent offensive line etc.. All they really need to be able to run this system effectively is a good TE and another wideout alongside the developing Josh Gordon. I wouldnt sleep on this move especially depending on how the Browns draft and FA goes.
Ray Horton says they're switching to a 3-4 which means they'll need players to fit that system. They have some players who have shown they can play both(D'Qwell Jackson, Aythiba Rubin) but their defense is a question mark to me.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Last edited by Bryan; 01-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Ray Horton says they're switching to a 3-4 which means they'll need players to fit that system. They have some players who have shown they can play both(D'Qwell Jackson, Aythiba Rubin) but their defense is a question mark to me.
If that's true, the switch will delay their development a but as well. They won't be a factor in 2013. 2014 may be a different story though.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
If that's true, the switch will delay their development a but as well. They won't be a factor in 2013. 2014 may be a different story though.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...wns-to-run-3-4

Quote:
Even though head coach Rob Chudzinski said the Browns would run a hybrid defense, defensive coordinator Ray Horton has a different plan on what type of defense he'll run. "It'll be a 3-4 defense, the same defense we ran (in Arizona)," Horton told 910 AM in Arizona, via The Plain Dealer. "It won't be a hybrid unless you're playing golf." Horton also said he would've "unequivocally" brought in Norv Turner as his offensive coordinator if the Cardinals had hired him to be their head coach.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Last edited by Bryan; 01-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13520

My personal take on it is that first and foremost Banner is going to singlehandedly set the franchise back or at least stall it out longer.

He is a contract man and nothing more and he wants absolute control over the roster which is not all that unusual but the other rumor was that Weisenhut turned down the job after a second interview because banner also wanted to have control of choosing the coaching staff, which any HC worth anything would never allow.

The only reason Chud was hired was because he is a yes man and could get Turner.

The hire of Lombardi was just a joke and Weedon will not even be given a chance IMO.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14733

Browns eyeing a AFCN assault?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...vals/#comments

Flacco, Wallace etc...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13520

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
Browns eyeing a AFCN assault?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...vals/#comments

Flacco, Wallace etc...
One taste of the Lake Erie water and Flacco will be the next Brady Quinn. :)

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert

Last edited by duke0476; 02-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18257

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
One taste of the Lake Erie water and Flacco will be the next Brady Quinn.
I hope they get Wallace..they think Little had a case of the dropseys