Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34572
Default My first (and probably last) 2013 mock

1. Keenan Allen - WR - Cal

I'm really not sure the Bengals will land a WR in free agency. Bowe/Wallace/Jennings will cost more than MB is willing to pay, and Hartline could easily stay with the Dolphins or go somewhere else. The other options aren't really worth our time. I think the Bengals will see the success that Atlanta has had with Roddy White/Julio Jones, and try to duplicate that. Keenan Allen should be available at #21. He has the size (6'3" 210 lbs) decent speed (4.51) and production. He's a much better prospect than his former teammate Marvin Jones. I could also see Cordarrelle Patterson here, if he falls to us.

2a. Giovanni Bernard - RB - North Carolina

I've gone back and forth on which RB we will pick, but I keep coming back to Bernard. I really like Christine Michael, but the injuries and lack of production (not his fault) are typically things that the Bengals avoid. Michael would be worth a shot, but I don't see it happening. I really think Jay and Marv want to seriously address RB, so they will be taking one high. Bernard make the most sense. If he's not there, I think we should target Gillislee or Johnathan Franklin later on.

2b. Bacarri Rambo - S - Georgia

This is a pretty deep class of safeties. I don't see us getting Matt Elam (he won't get past the Ravens in round 1), but Rambo is an excellent consolation prize. Good size (6' 210 lbs) and playmaking ability (16 ints, 3 TD's, 34 PD's). Sound tackler. Truly a one man army.

3. Chase Thomas - SLB - Stanford

I really think Marvin sees Burfict as the future at MLB. He recently said something along the lines that Burfict was one of the best players he's coached. High praise. So, I think Burfict will be our starting MLB next season, and Thomas Howard will be back at WLB. That leaves SLB as our one opening. I know we signed Maybin, but who knows if he will work out, and that may have been a smokescreen signing/insurance anyway. I think Thomas (or Porter) is the pick here.

4. Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State

Clements is almost certainly gone and Newman will turn 35 before the season. We need to take a corner with a quality pick. McFadden is a great value. He's right around Leon Hall's size (5'11" 190 lbs). Had 3 int's last year, 2 returned for scores. Also had 15 PD's.

5. Zac Dysert - QB - Miami

I'm 50/50 on whether or not the Bengals may try to replace Gradkowski. I do know that it would save at least a million to draft one, and it's not like Dalton still needs a mentor. Dysert had the worst showing at the Senior Bowl, and he was considered a 4th round prospect before that. I could see him falling to us in the 5th. He'd make a good backup with potential.

6a. Denard Robinson - ? - Michigan

Some will probably scoff at me having Robinson in the 6th round, but some sites are saying he will go undrafted. He didn't look good running routes at the Senior Bowl, and he apparently has trouble fielding kicks/punts. He does have good athletic ability, so he would make a good PS candidate.

6b. Blaize Foltz - G - TCU

I'm sure we will take a lineman somewhere. I just don't see a need to take one high this year. Whit has at least a couple years left, both guard position are pretty well set, and Cook/Robinson will battle it out at center (hopefully Trevor gets the job). Foltz will be another body for the PS, or maybe he'll be a diamond in the rough.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-29-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38280
Default Re: My first (and probably last) 2013 mock

Seems cool to me.

The more I hear about Elam, the more I wonder if he's not worth our 21.

Then we target a RB like Bernard who you mention with our first second rounder.

And of course that's assuming we sign a WR which I really hope we do as my sig attests.

If we don't I may be cool with a WR in the first although I'm not sure the team won't view either RB or SS as a more pressing need especially if the value at one of those two postions is there.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Seems cool to me.

The more I hear about Elam, the more I wonder if he's not worth our 21.

Then we target a RB like Bernard who you mention with our first second rounder.

And of course that's assuming we sign a WR which I really hope we do as my sig attests.

If we don't I may be cool with a WR in the first although I'm not sure the team won't view either RB or SS as a more pressing need especially if the value at one of those two postions is there.
I wouldn't be opposed to taking Elam at 21, as long as we sign a WR. Otherwise, I see WR2 as a bigger issue than SS imo.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to taking Elam at 21, as long as we sign a WR. Otherwise, I see WR2 as a bigger issue than SS imo.
Hard to argue with that logic considering how strong the defense was, and just got stronger as the season went on.

The only way to combat that notion is if one is 100% sold on Sanu as our #2. I like him and think it's possible that he could be that, but I am no where near certain enough of that to go all in behind that idea.

Here's a thought, I wonder if one of the prime FA SS available could be had for less than Hartline? Idk.

I also don't know how confident we can be in a WR we draft even as high as 21.

If I had my druthers, I'd throw money at Hartline and hope his Ohio ties help draw him here. I have to imagine Miami prolly would like to keep him around with the idea of drafting a true #1 to go along with him. So like you, I worry whether or not we can actually pull it off cuz as much as I want him, I don't want to over pay to a stupid degree to land him.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Hard to argue with that logic considering how strong the defense was, and just got stronger as the season went on.

The only way to combat that notion is if one is 100% sold on Sanu as our #2. I like him and think it's possible that he could be that, but I am no where near certain enough of that to go all in behind that idea.

Here's a thought, I wonder if one of the prime FA SS available could be had for less than Hartline? Idk.

I also don't know how confident we can be in a WR we draft even as high as 21.

If I had my druthers, I'd throw money at Hartline and hope his Ohio ties help draw him here. I have to imagine Miami prolly would like to keep him around with the idea of drafting a true #1 to go along with him. So like you, I worry whether or not we can actually pull it off cuz as much as I want him, I don't want to over pay to a stupid degree to land him.
Signing Hartline and taking Elam at 21 is definitely what I would want to do, but I based my mock on what I see happening. With 31 other teams in the league, it's more likely that Hartline will go elsewhere. He does have Ohio ties as you pointed out, so idk. We'll see. Man I hate this point in the offseason.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Signing Hartline and taking Elam at 21 is definitely what I would want to do, but I based my mock on what I see happening. With 31 other teams in the league, it's more likely that Hartline will go elsewhere. He does have Ohio ties as you pointed out, so idk. We'll see. Man I hate this point in the offseason.
Yea, the anxiety of what issues your team will address prior to the draft so you can have a more clear idea of what positions you'll probably see called on draft day.

I'm already feenin for the draft and the SB ain't even been played yet.

Soon I'll start doing my research and post my annual uber awesome mock drafts.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178

No complaints here. McFadden would be a steal in the 4th.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343

Very good draft. I would be ecstatic if the Bengals came away with this.

I'm not a big fan of Dysert. But that's just nitpicking honestly. Overall, I definitely like it and this is one of my favorite mock drafts. Good job

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Allen & Green would tear the league up.

Leon McFadden will be a good corner especially as a 4th rounder

Zac Dysert would be a very reliable backup & could possibly start somewhere.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 345

tooo early for rambo...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
tooo early for rambo...
Meh, I don't know about that. Most sites had Rambo as an early to mid 3rd rounder.

That was before his excellent showing at the Senior Bowl. Late 2nd round isn't too high imo.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4287

Thomas good in coverage to be wlb? Interesting. Heard he had a bad senior bowl week.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4187

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Thomas good in coverage to be wlb? Interesting. Heard he had a bad senior bowl week.
He means Thomas Howard as the WLB and Chase as the SAM, but ya Chase Thomas was awful at the senior bowl because they play a 4-3 and he was lost at SAM. He is strictly a 3-4 OLB and proved it last week.

Last edited by Synric; 01-29-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025

I could definitely live with this. My only issue is Chase Thomas. I thought I heard or read some Senior Bowl notes saying how bad he bombed it???? I would rather take Gerald Hodges or Kasheem Greene one round earlier.

Overall, good draft!!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
He means Thomas Howard as the WLB and Chase as the SAM, but ya Chase Thomas was awful at the senior bowl because they play a 4-3 and he was lost at SAM. He is strictly a 3-4 OLB and proved it last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I could definitely live with this. My only issue is Chase Thomas. I thought I heard or read some Senior Bowl notes saying how bad he bombed it???? I would rather take Gerald Hodges or Kasheem Greene one round earlier.

Overall, good draft!!
I didn't know he bombed out so bad at the Senior Bowl. Maybe Sean Porter would be a better choice then. Of course, Thomas may just need to be coached up more. The Senior Bowl may be the first time he's tried playing 4-3 SLB.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9053

chase thomas would be a steal in the late 3rd round
4th Doran Grant CB
4th JT Surratt DT
5th Jamil Douglas G
5th Aaron Davis LB
6th James Rouse DE
7th Mario Alford WR
UDFA Michael Dyer RB
UDFA Josh Shaw CB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
chase thomas would be a steal in the late 3rd round
Not after his Senior Bowl practices...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
Not after his Senior Bowl practices...
Nor would Ansah after his Senior Bowl practices...

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182

Like K. Allen in first...I do think we can pick up Ogletree with 2a pick...if not him another talented cover LB.

Not sure I get the reason to wanting a replacement back up. Did I miss something with Gradkowski? He knows the system well. Why bring someone else in? Grad has proven he can win in the NFL. Dysert may never get there. This position changed dramatically now that teams are only dressing two QBs. If Dysert would be practice squad that's one thing, but dressed and only back up?

I also don't get judging Chase on one week, one game, and even one play. Seriously he is being over criticized for being chopped on that block that sprang Franklin for a 20 yrd run. I get judging someone from a Sun Belt or Mac school because that is the first time they will play NFL caliber competition. Chase did that for years at Stanford and performed well enough to be drafted (and mocked) in 3rd round.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
I didn't know he bombed out so bad at the Senior Bowl. Maybe Sean Porter would be a better choice then. Of course, Thomas may just need to be coached up more. The Senior Bowl may be the first time he's tried playing 4-3 SLB.
Hodges or Porter more fits what we need than Chase Thomas
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
Not sure I get the reason to wanting a replacement back up. Did I miss something with Gradkowski? He knows the system well. Why bring someone else in? Grad has proven he can win in the NFL. Dysert may never get there. This position changed dramatically now that teams are only dressing two QBs. If Dysert would be practice squad that's one thing, but dressed and only back up?
1. Gradkowski isn't the only QB in the universe that can learn Jay's system. Andy seemed to learn most of it in a few weeks.

2. He's proven he can win? He's 6-14 as a starter.

3. I would feel just fine with Dysert as our only backup. He couldn't be any worse.

Basically, people who like Gradkowski need to compare his numbers to other backups around the league.

52.9% completions
5.7 yards per attempt
more INT's than TD's
65.8 passer rating

Those numbers tell the story. He's one of the worst backups in the league.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
1. Gradkowski isn't the only QB in the universe that can learn Jay's system. Andy seemed to learn most of it in a few weeks.

2. He's proven he can win? He's 6-14 as a starter.

3. I would feel just fine with Dysert as our only backup. He couldn't be any worse.

Basically, people who like Gradkowski need to compare his numbers to other backups around the league.

52.9% completions
5.7 yards per attempt
more INT's than TD's
65.8 passer rating

Those numbers tell the story. He's one of the worst backups in the league.
Those numbers are nice but don't tell the whole story. They don't compare what Dysert would do in his place. That part of the story we can only speculate on. But I have a feeling Gradkowski next year would do better if Dalton went down for four to six games. And when only one back up can dress...that should be the question asked.

6-14 is just below .500. When a back up does better than that they sometimes get a starting spot. Dysert has not proven much in his college career. He did poorly last week.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Those numbers are nice but don't tell the whole story. They don't compare what Dysert would do in his place. That part of the story we can only speculate on. But I have a feeling Gradkowski next year would do better if Dalton went down for four to six games. And when only one back up can dress...that should be the question asked.

6-14 is just below .500. When a back up does better than that they sometimes get a starting spot. Dysert has not proven much in his college career. He did poorly last week.
6 wins and 14 losses. That's 8 games below .500, and he's only played 20 games. That's terrible.

You are correct that numbers only tell part of the story. When you watch him, the other part gets told.

His stats are pathetic, and he looks pathetic on the field. Just to make this clear, I'm not hating on the dude. I have nothing against him, I just think he's terrible.

Look at the numbers of Shaun Hill, Charlie Batch, David Carr, Matt Moore, etc. Heck, just watch them play.

Some backups actually have an NFL arm and don't need to dump it off 70% of the time.

Aside from the fact that I think Grad is terrible, a rookie QB would be way cheaper. And look how good Kirk Cousins was for the Skins.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-29-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
6 wins and 14 losses. That's 8 games below .500, and he's only played 20 games. That's terrible.

You are correct that numbers only tell part of the story. When you watch him, the other part gets told.

His stats are pathetic, and he looks pathetic on the field. Just to make this clear, I'm not hating on the dude. I have nothing against him, I just think he's terrible.

Look at the numbers of Shaun Hill, Charlie Batch, David Carr, Matt Moore, etc. Heck, just watch them play.

Some backups actually have an NFL arm and don't need to dump it off 70% of the time.

Aside from the fact that I think Grad is terrible, a rookie QB would be way cheaper. And look how good Kirk Cousins was for the Skins.
Nope. The whole story is Dysert against an NFL team...nothing like he experienced in college. He left that part out again. An argument against Gradkowski doesn't equate to an argument for Dysert.

Last edited by Bengals Fan For Life!; 01-29-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Nope. The whole story is Dysert against an NFL team...nothing like he experienced in college. He left that part out again. An argument against Gradkowski shouldn't equate to an argument for Dysert.
You're right. Dysert (or any other rookie) could be terrible.

Even in that worst case scenario, it wouldn't be any worse than what we have with Grad, who has already proven that he's terrible and will cost more money than a rookie.