Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4123
bengals Trade Concept

I am not really a fan of trading up. But lets say there are two guys we really covet and we have concerns about one or the other being available at pick 37 and we want to move back up into the end of round one.

We could trade both of our second round picks. 37 and 53 have a value of 900 points on the draft trade value chart. For a teams 1st and 3rd.

For example let's say New England who picks at 29 and is always open to trades. Their 1st and 3rd are worth 768 points.

We could do better according to the draft trade value chart, but those things don't always work out exactly. I used New England because they always seem to make trades. But we could get all the way up to 24th in the first which Minnesota has and their 22nd pick in the third. Which equals out to 900 points.

We would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. I would have no problem if we targeted two guys in the first who we thought would be immediate impact players and made a move like this.

I can think of quite a few combos that I would be pretty happy to go up and get instead of waiting to see if they fall.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533
Default Re: Trade Concept

So, keep 21, move up for 29, next pick in the 3rd? Not bad if we know those 1st two are hum-dingers.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: Trade Concept

I have no interest in trading up. There is deep talent in this draft and we could use every selection to enhance this team and provide competition across the board.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
So, keep 21, move up for 29, next pick in the 3rd? Not bad if we know those 1st two are hum-dingers.
Yep you got it. Could be even higher than 29.

Two firsts and two thirds doesn't sound all that bad. Especially if the first two are studs.

And if we really wanted a 2nd round pick that bad packaging the two thirds together could get us back up into the end of round 2.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I have no interest in trading up. There is deep talent in this draft and we could use every selection to enhance this team and provide competition across the board.
2 firsts and 2 thirds could easily end up being better than a first, 2 seconds, and a third. Especially if it ensures we get two guys who we think are great fits. We still end up with the same number of picks in the first 3 rounds. Gotta keep an open mind.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I am not really a fan of trading up. But lets say there are two guys we really covet and we have concerns about one or the other being available at pick 37 and we want to move back up into the end of round one.

We could trade both of our second round picks. 37 and 53 have a value of 900 points on the draft trade value chart. For a teams 1st and 3rd.

For example let's say New England who picks at 29 and is always open to trades. Their 1st and 3rd are worth 768 points.

We could do better according to the draft trade value chart, but those things don't always work out exactly. I used New England because they always seem to make trades. But we could get all the way up to 24th in the first which Minnesota has and their 22nd pick in the third. Which equals out to 900 points.

We would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. I would have no problem if we targeted two guys in the first who we thought would be immediate impact players and made a move like this.

I can think of quite a few combos that I would be pretty happy to go up and get instead of waiting to see if they fall.
There are so many position groups where there are so many guys so close to each other this year that this might not ever be necessary.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

The positions the Bengals need to fill do not necessitate them trading up.

Might even like to see them trade out of the first.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
There are so many position groups where there are so many guys so close to each other this year that this might not ever be necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
The positions the Bengals need to fill do not necessitate them trading up.

Might even like to see them trade out of the first.
With such a crumby QB class there could be a lot more guys who we thought would be there for us that get picked earlier than expected. Depending on if/when there is a run on QBs.

I guarantee all these safeties people like will not all make an impact their rookie year. Maybe 2 or 3 of them tops.

One C has consistently gotten 1st and early 2nd round grades. I sure wouldn't mind snatching him up before GB can get a hold of him.

Teams always need LBs. There are 3-4 of them with first round grades. If we pass on LB in the first we could be reaching big time for the next best LB by the time 37 rolls around.

No telling who is going to be there at 53. It has really been one of the harder picks for me to fill out in mock drafts. There are guys who will be available in the 3rd who intrigue me just as much as some guys who will be available later in the 2nd.

I wouldn't mind trading out of the first. But only if we are loading up on more tickets for the Johnny Football/Clowney lottery in 2014.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4036

There will be multiple QB's in the first round for the simple fact that teams need QB's and will over value guys leading into the draft ie Gabbert, Ponder,etc
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Please stop with the stupid mythical trade value chart which makes absolutely no sense
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
With such a crumby QB class there could be a lot more guys who we thought would be there for us that get picked earlier than expected. Depending on if/when there is a run on QBs.

I guarantee all these safeties people like will not all make an impact their rookie year. Maybe 2 or 3 of them tops.

One C has consistently gotten 1st and early 2nd round grades. I sure wouldn't mind snatching him up before GB can get a hold of him.

Teams always need LBs. There are 3-4 of them with first round grades. If we pass on LB in the first we could be reaching big time for the next best LB by the time 37 rolls around.

No telling who is going to be there at 53. It has really been one of the harder picks for me to fill out in mock drafts. There are guys who will be available in the 3rd who intrigue me just as much as some guys who will be available later in the 2nd.

I wouldn't mind trading out of the first. But only if we are loading up on more tickets for the Johnny Football/Clowney lottery in 2014.
I want a new C as much as anyone, but unless it's just insane value, I don't think we'll draft one.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2489

How about we trade down with Jacksonville, Kansas City, etc so they can draft that QB they want before he's gone? Pick up a 2nd a third, 4th and something high next year something to that tune. I don't look at the value chart so idk what that would entail
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Please stop with the stupid mythical trade value chart which makes absolutely no sense
Why? It's the only thing we have to roughly go by. And most trades end up being somewhat close to fair value when you look at the numbers, it hardly ever works out perfectly, but it is a damn good tool for projecting. Sure the rookie wage scaled changed the top of the draft. But I'm not talking about getting into the top 5 or 10.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I want a new C as much as anyone, but unless it's just insane value, I don't think we'll draft one.
We started a washed up guy off the street and an UDFA rookie at the position this past year. I think we will give it a good deal of thought. Especially the way Cook played when he came back and the fact C was the obvious weakness on our OL.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
There will be multiple QB's in the first round for the simple fact that teams need QB's and will over value guys leading into the draft ie Gabbert, Ponder,etc
As bad is may seem. I think Gabbert and Ponder would be in the discussion as the best QB in this class. And with the recent success of QBs not drafted in the 1st Dalton, Kaepernick, R. Wilson, Nick Foles, TJ Yates. I really would not be surprised to see some teams wait.

I don't doubt that a couple will go in the first. And I would love if a bunch went in the first bc that means more guys left for us to pick from. But this QB class is dreadful.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

If anything the Bengals should trade out of the 1st RD. The 21st selection carries an 800 value which would easily get them another 2nd and 3rd selection.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but the chart is not mythical. It is the source NFL teams use to value draft positions. It does exist and is easily found online.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
If anything the Bengals should trade out of the 1st RD. The 21st selection carries an 800 value which would easily get them another 2nd and 3rd selection.
The further you get out of the first the further the probability falls that the rookie produces in year 1.

A couple solid free agent acquisitions and a couple impact rookies and we could take the next step.

We have a very good team. Stockpiling mediocre talent isn't what is going to get us over the hump.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
How about we trade down with Jacksonville, Kansas City, etc so they can draft that QB they want before he's gone? Pick up a 2nd a third, 4th and something high next year something to that tune. I don't look at the value chart so idk what that would entail
If we get Ogletree their, that might be the trade that gets you GM.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but the chart is not mythical. It is the source NFL teams use to value draft positions. It does exist and is easily found online.
Quote:
Hasn't anyone realized this guy is the most ignorant person on here?

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

Quote:

I think this is good for us, some of these teams will be looking to trade back in to the first to get a QB IMO. KC, PHI, BUF, NY, AZ. All looking for a possible QB.

Vaccaro will start day one and hold his own as a rookie.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The further you get out of the first the further the probability falls that the rookie produces in year 1.

A couple solid free agent acquisitions and a couple impact rookies and we could take the next step.

We have a very good team. Stockpiling mediocre talent isn't what is going to get us over the hump.
We do not need rookie impact to take that step. A couple of good FA signings and we are there. Heck it is going to be like having two draft classes this season. Sanu and Dre healthy and playing time for Still and Thompson. Not too mention having Brandon Joiner in all the offseason workouts.

Good teams do not depend on the draft to compete.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26856

Quote:
I agree. This is a draft with deep talent in areas of need for us. And as an aside, i wonder how long people here have actually been following the Bengal's draft trends? We........don't.........trade........up........

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26856

Quote:
We do not need rookie impact to take that step. A couple of good FA signings and we are there. Heck it is going to be like having two draft classes this season. Sanu and Dre healthy and playing time for Still and Thompson. Not too mention having Brandon Joiner in all the offseason workouts.

Good teams do not depend on the draft to compete.
They use them to STAY competitive.

Just finishing your statement.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
I agree. This is a draft with deep talent in areas of need for us. And as an aside, i wonder how long people here have actually been following the Bengal's draft trends? We........don't.........trade........up........
Before last year everybody was saying we won't trade back because we don't it is too rare. It happened. If it is an option you can't rule it out just because.

We were supposedly considering trading up for Mays a few years ago.

When was the last time we had an extra 2nd round pick as ammo to trade up?

We traded back last year.
We traded Rivers.
We traded our franchise QB.
We traded Chad.
We traded for Mays.
We traded for Nelson.
We traded for Leonard.
We traded for Kelly Jennings. Player for player.
We traded for Deltha.

The majority of these trades are recent. The majority of our recent drafts have been better than years past. Things have changed.

I'm not saying it will certainly happen. Just that it is a possibility.