Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17876
Default Re: Realistic view of the receiving corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Part of me thinks the Bengals thought Shipley might have recovered and been the #2 WR. As a rookie his numbers were up there with Dez Bryants.

Many but not all my remarks referred to the outside slot WR. I considered Shipley a slant or inside slot WR. He was a very good WR for us.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23013
bengals Re: Realistic view of the receiving corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Part of me thinks the Bengals thought Shipley might have recovered and been the #2 WR. As a rookie his numbers were up there with Dez Bryants.
Shipley was not going to play on the outside.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Maybe Chad was garbage, but he was better then Caldwell. He would have at least received double team something that would have helped out AJ.

As for Owens, Owens was on his way to becoming an All Pro that year with his production.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ualified=false

Mediocre huh, that is silly.

He was the ONLY Bengal to make the NFL top 100 players of the year. So what does that mean about the rest of the squad worse then Mediocre???

Other then AJ Green, no other WR of the Bangals have come close to his production.

A matter of fact you can combine all the WR's other then Green for 2011 and for 2012 and they still don't match what TO did in 2010. Seriously man, before you write think about it.

And what you wrote is still addressing about replacing the "divas" with better WR's. I have no allegiance to Chad and Owens, I have an allegiance to the team and the team needed to replace them with better WR's if they were going to replace them at all.

You see what the 49ers coach did he replaced his QB with another QB. The Ravens replaced their OC with another OC. Neither did so at the end of the year, but during the season. If Simpson/Caldwell were better then the "divas" then you replace them ASAP. But it was obvious that Simpson/Caldwell were NOT beter then the "divas" otherwise they would have been starters.

Again, I am going to repeat this for the hard of reading, but someone will respond with a foolish response.

I am NOT saying we should have not replaced the "divas'. However, if you are going to replace #1 and #2, you DON"T replace them with #3 and #4. You do what you can do to get better.

You don't replace Dalton with Gradkowski, you get a better QB!! PERIOD!!!!!
Stats are great but the stats do not tell the story of how TO is a unity bleeding parasite. He does not have to open his mouth merely just exist in the clubhouse to tear it apart.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Stats are great but the stats do not tell the story of how TO is a unity bleeding parasite. He does not have to open his mouth merely just exist in the clubhouse to tear it apart.

Was the clubhouse torn apart in 2010? I certainly don't remember any stories that can back your claim!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36858

Quote:
I think we are both in agreement our Bengals need a good #2 and possibly a good #3 WR. The difference is I never trusted Simpson/Caldwell at all. We only gave the TOcho experiment one year. Unfortunately, the whole team collasped from the FO and the medical staff being burnt with Antonio Bryant, to Cedric Benson's fumbalitis, our defense stinking, Palmer's interceptions, our inept coaching staff, Shipley's dropped ball at the goal line vs the Steelers, etc.

I am hopeful that Sanu and our WR's return better next year.
I'm very confident Sanu can be a good #3, but only moderately confident he would suffice if called upon to be our #2. That's why I certainly hope we do not stand pat at WR.

In my dreams, we sign Hartline and then identify and draft next year's Doug Martin, preferrably with that early second rounder so we can grab that Elam kid in the first......My, my, my, that would be somethin'.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19948

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I'm very confident Sanu can be a good #3, but only moderately confident he would suffice if called upon to be our #2. That's why I certainly hope we do not stand pat at WR.

In my dreams, we sign Hartline and then identify and draft next year's Doug Martin, preferrably with that early second rounder so we can grab that Elam kid in the first......My, my, my, that would be somethin'.

Hope we get Hartline too. Aj, Hartline, Sanu, and Jones with a dash of Baby Hawk at times will be better than any lineup we had this season. Especially considering Sanu and Jones will have a year of experience under their belts.

And as much as I like Doug Martin, I hope we find next year's Alfred Morris. Talk about a 6th round rookie beast, wow.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Hartline would be good as a #2. I thing the end zone has a restraining order against him though. Almost 1100 yards receiving and 1 TD???
Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448

I really believe the coaches think Jones will be the two next year, and if the light does come on for him, he will in my opinion be a much better receiver than Hartline.

My worry is having a quarterback to get them the ball.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
I really believe the coaches think Jones will be the two next year, and if the light does come on for him, he will in my opinion be a much better receiver than Hartline.

My worry is having a quarterback to get them the ball.
Then you have no worries then do you?

I would have loved to have heard these boards while many of the premier QBs in the league were struggling thru their early seasons and not even being close to what Dalton has done already.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Was the clubhouse torn apart in 2010? I certainly don't remember any stories that can back your claim!!!!
The clubhouse had no unity in 2010. Either your memory is failing or you may want to go back and research alittle. Guess your memory does not recall the sulking of Chad on the sideline and the arguing with Palmer.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12101

Quote:
I would have loved to have heard these boards while many of the premier QBs in the league were struggling thru their early seasons and not even being close to what Dalton has done already.
I just find it funny that every that it gets brought up, the Dalton 'doubters' (read:haters) would rather beat around the bush than acknowledge that only a very select few QB's ever make an entire team better and that most QB's don't need time or tools.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18628

Quote:
Um............ did you watch any games in '10? Remember whenever a ball would be thrown even a yard off the mark and, rather than adjust his route by slowing down, jumping, or even just moving a foot to the left/right, TO would just give up on the ball. Not only did he not put forth any effort to make a tough catch, he also wouldn't put forth any effort to try and knock the ball away from the defender.

If your "star" receiver isn't even putting forth any effort, you don't think that has a negative effect on team chemistry?

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The clubhouse had no unity in 2010. Either your memory is failing or you may want to go back and research alittle. Guess your memory does not recall the sulking of Chad on the sideline and the arguing with Palmer.

I remember the sulking of Chad and Whitlock taking Chad to task, but are you going to blame TO for Chad's antics? Are you going to blame TO for Chads antics before 2010? Are you going to blame TO for Chad head butting his then wife?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Um............ did you watch any games in '10? Remember whenever a ball would be thrown even a yard off the mark and, rather than adjust his route by slowing down, jumping, or even just moving a foot to the left/right, TO would just give up on the ball. Not only did he not put forth any effort to make a tough catch, he also wouldn't put forth any effort to try and knock the ball away from the defender.

If your "star" receiver isn't even putting forth any effort, you don't think that has a negative effect on team chemistry?
Your logic is completely flawed. The If This Then That Conditional Construct is wrong on many levels. Whether or not the antecedent of TO slacking off in 2010 does not mean the consequent of the team having a negative effect on the team chemistry.

For instance, the Front Office and Medical Staff debacle in the signing and subsequent releasing of Antonio Bryant had nothing to do, nada with Owens. Similarly, Cedric Benson's 7 fumbles had nothing to do with Owens. The defense which was a mainstay in 2009 collapsed in 2010. The collapse against Buffalo with a 28-7 lead, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc was not because Owens. Nor was the ridiculous call to pass the ball at the end of the game against Tampa Bay instead of running the ball. The dropped pass close to the endzone by the reliable Shipley against the Steelers was also not Owens fault. These were just some of the comedic events that the Bengals performed in 2010. I won't talk about the opening day first half blowout by the Patriots or the last pass by Palmer to the open receiver on the last play of the year against the Ravens that was not thrown correctly.

Yes, I remember 2010 a little bit different then you did

Last edited by BengalYankee; 01-30-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I remember the sulking of Chad and Whitlock taking Chad to task, but are you going to blame TO for Chad's antics? Are you going to blame TO for Chads antics before 2010? Are you going to blame TO for Chad head butting his then wife?
Chad prior to 2010 had antics. However, prior to the arrival of TO he came across as just a guy having fun. In 2010 he started coming across as sort of mean spirited and vindictive. This attitude change seemed to begin when he started hanging with TO more and more. TO haw dismantled every clubhouse he has been in.

I never stated anything about the domestic violence case but be ridiculous if you wish.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1082

Quote:
Chad prior to 2010 had antics. However, prior to the arrival of TO he came across as just a guy having fun. In 2010 he started coming across as sort of mean spirited and vindictive. This attitude change seemed to begin when he started hanging with TO more and more. TO haw dismantled every clubhouse he has been in.

I never stated anything about the domestic violence case but be ridiculous if you wish.
Really? So when he demanded to be traded he was just having fun? You can blame TO all day for not giving 100% in the games and then becoming a distraction when the season was lost but Chad was already pretty far gone before TO got here.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17190

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
Really? So when he demanded to be traded he was just having fun? You can blame TO all day for not giving 100% in the games and then becoming a distraction when the season was lost but Chad was already pretty far gone before TO got here.
Yeah, 'cause he was far gone in 2009

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

You have to be drunk. You don't remember when Chad admitted he did not care and did not want to work out previous to the 2008 season????

You don't remember he was upset because the "media" called him a cancer[prior to TO's arrival] and Marvin Lewis and the Bengals did not stick up for him????

Please it is you who are being ridiculous. If anyone wants to talk to truthfully talk about team chemistry read the following.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351518
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Yeah, 'cause he was far gone in 2009
What an intelligent, insightful response!

In case you don't remember, Chad started becoming less about the Bengals and more about getting his name on ESPN. Here's a clue: his is real surname isn't Ocho Cinco. Since you're a little dense, that's what I meant by 'pretty far gone.'
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
You have to be drunk. You don't remember when Chad admitted he did not care and did not want to work out previous to the 2008 season????

You don't remember he was upset because the "media" called him a cancer[prior to TO's arrival] and Marvin Lewis and the Bengals did not stick up for him????

Please it is you who are being ridiculous. If anyone wants to talk to truthfully talk about team chemistry read the following.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351518
Was 2008 the year Chad waited until right before training camp to get an operation on his foot/ankle/knee/something?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Was 2008 the year Chad waited until right before training camp to get an operation on his foot/ankle/knee/something?

Yes, 2008 was the year Chad an operation but I don't when it happened. All I know he was not a happy camper and wanted to get traded.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post

Your Point

My Counter Point

Self proclaimed "Greatest Receiver of all time" RANDY MOSS!!!!

Where are the 49ers now???

P.S. When is the last time Randy pulled in numbers as TO did in 2010???

Note: I have a feeling I know what your response will be and I have my reply just itching to use.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 01-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
What an intelligent, insightful response!

In case you don't remember, Chad started becoming less about the Bengals and more about getting his name on ESPN. Here's a clue: his is real surname isn't Ocho Cinco. Since you're a little dense, that's what I meant by 'pretty far gone.'
What a ****ty use of sarcasm!

It was. Because its the truth.

You are obviously the dense one, because Chad was all about the team in2009. And he had a phenomenal season.

CHILD PLEASE

Last edited by Truck_1_0_1_; 01-30-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
It was. Because its the truth.

You are obviously the dense one, because Chad was all about the team in2009. And he had a phenomenal season.
Chad was a good player... but distractions killed the football star.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Chad was a good player... but distractions killed the football star.
Not in 2009

CHILD PLEASE