Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 94
Default My first and pre combine mock draft (probably horrible)

I honestly don't feel like WR is as much of a need as all of you do. If Sanu is healthy then we have our number two guy there and Hawkins can play the slot with Jones as well. My feeling is that the Bengals need O-line help, Safety, and RB mostly. So with that here we go!

1. Matt Elam S - We have all been clamoring for a safety high in the draft. This seems like a good solid one to me.
2a.Eddie Lacy RB - IF he falls this far this would be another steal. Probably though this may be Joseph Randle and that's okay too.
2b. Barret Jones C/G/T - We need offensive line help and this guy can play any position on the offensive line.
3. Jonathan Bostic - ILB - We need more LB's who can cover, so with this pick I pick a LB who can do just that.
4. Tyrion Mathieu CB - The Bengals have a pretty good track record of taking these troubled youths and making them into something. This guy is as talented as anyone out there and if he was not a troubled youth would be a top pick. So getting him in the 4th would be a steal.
5. Kyle Long - OT - I'm a big believer in pedigree plus this guy has the size to be really good.
6a. Dan Buckner WR - a Tall WR, worth giving a shot to make the roster but this position seems already loaded in my mind.
6b. Jordan Rodgers QB - Yup Aaron Rodgers brother as our last pick. At some point or another every QB goes down. When they do it's good to have a really decent backup and so why not pick up the younger Rodgers?
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29075
Default Re: My first and pre combine mock draft (probably horrible)

Prefer Vaccaro if he's there. Elam misses too many tackles going for the hit IMO.

Not sure Lacy is the change of pace guy they are looking for.

The only way I see the Bengals going O-line early is if they lose Andre, or an OT is simply the BPA and no one at a position of need is a value where they pick.

Can he play OLB? Burfict will be the ILB.

Too early to take him, and I don't think the Bengals will draft him at all.

Kyle Long may well be long gone by then. No pun intended.

Ok.

Rather have a vet backup, but at that point what does it matter.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1554

Matheiu is not that great, plus all the off the field nonsense. I would take him in the 7th maybe.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

I don't think that Elam misses too many tackles, but that's my opinion. As far as Mathieu is concerned, why does everyone say that? He was the most dominating defensive player in 2011 and that's in the SEC. He is not overrated.
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willminus2 View Post
I honestly don't feel like WR is as much of a need as all of you do. If Sanu is healthy then we have our number two guy there and Hawkins can play the slot with Jones as well. My feeling is that the Bengals need O-line help, Safety, and RB mostly. So with that here we go!

1. Matt Elam S - We have all been clamoring for a safety high in the draft. This seems like a good solid one to me.
2a.Eddie Lacy RB - IF he falls this far this would be another steal. Probably though this may be Joseph Randle and that's okay too.
2b. Barret Jones C/G/T - We need offensive line help and this guy can play any position on the offensive line.
3. Jonathan Bostic - ILB - We need more LB's who can cover, so with this pick I pick a LB who can do just that.
4. Tyrion Mathieu CB - The Bengals have a pretty good track record of taking these troubled youths and making them into something. This guy is as talented as anyone out there and if he was not a troubled youth would be a top pick. So getting him in the 4th would be a steal.
5. Kyle Long - OT - I'm a big believer in pedigree plus this guy has the size to be really good.
6a. Dan Buckner WR - a Tall WR, worth giving a shot to make the roster but this position seems already loaded in my mind.
6b. Jordan Rodgers QB - Yup Aaron Rodgers brother as our last pick. At some point or another every QB goes down. When they do it's good to have a really decent backup and so why not pick up the younger Rodgers?
would be very happy with this draft, except i would take bernard over lacy if they are both there(doubtful)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
I don't think that Elam misses too many tackles, but that's my opinion. As far as Mathieu is concerned, why does everyone say that? He was the most dominating defensive player in 2011 and that's in the SEC. He is not overrated.
How many shut down corners do you hear about who are barely 5'9? In college, it's
all about speed. In the NFL it's only the about the players who combine speed with Size.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
How many shut down corners do you hear about who are barely 5'9? In college, it's
all about speed. In the NFL it's only the about the players who combine speed with Size.
He was far from the most dominant defensive player. He caused a lot of fumbles by stripping the ball, do you think he will do that in the NFL?

If I remember correctly, Mathieu gave up over a 50% completion % to receivers that he covered. He was not anywhere near the corner that Claibourne was.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
He was far from the most dominant defensive player. He caused a lot of fumbles by stripping the ball, do you think he will do that in the NFL?

If I remember correctly, Mathieu gave up over a 50% completion % to receivers that he covered. He was not anywhere near the corner that Claibourne was.
Just proves that even in the SEC, not all the best College players are the best NFL players.
And let's assume he doesn't have Charles Tillman hands.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37423

Quote:
I don't think that Elam misses too many tackles, but that's my opinion. As far as Mathieu is concerned, why does everyone say that?
People just hear somebody on these boards say it and they run with it; especially if they want it to be true. I remember late in the year somebody said "Rey is playing better" and all kins of folks kept saying "Rey is playing better", drove me crazy.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22382

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
People just hear somebody on these boards say it and they run with it; especially if they want it to be true. I remember late in the year somebody said "Rey is playing better" and all kins of folks kept saying "Rey is playing better", drove me crazy.
Must have. Considering he did play better the latter half of the season than he did the first.
I bet that just stuck in your craw
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Must have. Considering he did play better the latter half of the season than he did the first.
his playing better was still awful tho.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
See Prime example; here's one that heard it and therefore, believed it and repeated it.

Here is how PFF ranked Rey Maualuga's play from the 10th game of the season until the end. Ranking on the team:

10- last
11- last
12- One of his better games
13- 3rd worst
14- 2nd worst
15- last
16- 2nd worst

Playoff Game- Worst

There was absolutely no theme of playing better.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Prefer Vaccaro if he's there. Elam misses too many tackles going for the hit IMO.

Not sure Lacy is the change of pace guy they are looking for.

The only way I see the Bengals going O-line early is if they lose Andre, or an OT is simply the BPA and no one at a position of need is a value where they pick.

Can he play OLB? Burfict will be the ILB.

Too early to take him, and I don't think the Bengals will draft him at all.

Kyle Long may well be long gone by then. No pun intended.

Ok.

Rather have a vet backup, but at that point what does it matter.
I like Elam a lot but not sure that they will take a S so early with this being a deep draft at the position. I like the B.Jones pick as well. Not sold on Lacey yet wanna see his combine numbers first. I don't mind the Rodgers pick late. Not so sure about the rest though.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Yeah tell that to Darrell Green who was 5'8" and played until he was like 40 and still was fast as hell.It's about technique,hips and the ability to cover.I also don't want Mathieu for his cb play but more for his return ability.I also think he can be a nickle corner and do very well at it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7116

Quote:
See Prime example; here's one that heard it and therefore, believed it and repeated it.

Here is how PFF ranked Rey Maualuga's play from the 10th game of the season until the end. Ranking on the team:

10- last
11- last
12- One of his better games
13- 3rd worst
14- 2nd worst
15- last
16- 2nd worst

Playoff Game- Worst

There was absolutely no theme of playing better.
Geno Atkins pretty much was the best player on the team every game all season.

Some of Atkins' games, he played PHENOMENAL, some he played EXCELLENT, and others he played SOLID.

Maualuga played ATROCIOUSLY, HORRIBLY, and POORLY. Just because Maualuga still was the worst defender doesn't necessarily mean that his play didn't remain the worst on the defense AND improve at the same time.

Innately, the two statements aren't at odds with each other.

Now, some posters may be attempting to augment the reality. That is another thing all together.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
Yeah tell that to Darrell Green who was 5'8" and played until he was like 40 and still was fast as hell.It's about technique,hips and the ability to cover.I also don't want Mathieu for his cb play but more for his return ability.I also think he can be a nickle corner and do very well at it.
Did Darrell Green get kicked out of college for repeat violations of drug policies? And then get arrested for being at a drug bust where 5+ pounds of marijauana was confiscated?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
When Green played, there weren't nearly so many big and fast receivers. Not to take anything away from him, but things are different now.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Did Darrell Green get kicked out of college for repeat violations of drug policies? And then get arrested for being at a drug bust where 5+ pounds of marijauana was confiscated?
Nope, but what does that have to do with suggesting a short CB can't cover and comparing Green's skillset to Matieu's?

Green went in the 1st round cause he was a lightning fast, model citizen, and a playmaker. Mathieu is 2 of those.

BTW Mathieu wasn't kicked out of college.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

Okay well after reading some other drafts how about this one?

1. Alec Ogletree LB
2a. Matt Elam S
2b. Barret Jones C/G/T
3. Johnathan Franklin RB
4. Xavier Nixon OT
5. Tyrion Matthieu CB
6a. Marcus Lattimore RB
6b. Dan Buckner WR
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Nope, but what does that have to do with suggesting a short CB can't cover and comparing Green's skillset to Matieu's?

Green went in the 1st round cause he was a lightning fast, model citizen, and a playmaker. Mathieu is 2 of those.

BTW Mathieu wasn't kicked out of college.
That's right. He was kicked off the football team not off of school.

You can't pick and choose what you get with Mathieu. He is both short AND has huge character flags.

It seems to me that Green might have been short but with no character flags. And was drafted 28th overall (last player in the 1st round at the time).