Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519
Default Pre-Combine 1.0

I have to assume that MJ is resigned; this staff drafted him and turned him into the player that many thought he had the potential to be.

I'm also assuming that RT is set whether that means that we franchis/resign Andre Smith or roll with Anthony Collins at the spot. I also see Pacman coming back. Hoping to see a bunch of our FAs back as well; from Gilberry to Howard to Maualuga and Gradkowski, keeping our own guys is going to be important this year.

I'm also assuming that we add a vet SS; hopefully a William Moore, but a Dashon Goldson would do as well.

If there is cap space, I wouldn't hate to see us add a front loaded 3 year deal WR, either a Bowe or Jennings. Either would make the O much more dangerous and allow our young guys to develop while not making a monster extension for Green impossible.

DRAFT: Definitely skewed toward the D.

1. Ezekial Ansah DE BYU

It isn't a secret that the Ds strength is the D-line. Ansah has enormous upside and while he would be a luxury pick, why not. A DE rotation that features MJ and Dunlap as starters and has Gilberry and Ansah coming off the bench and potentially utilizes Moch as a pure PRS could end up being very dangerous.

2. Xavier Rhodes CB Florida St.

Our secondary isn't a weak spot like it was a year ago and I would expect to see Kirkpatrick enter camp as the starter opposite Hall. If Pac is back then we would have a solid 3 CB set. That said, adding Rhodes could make things very interesting considering that the NFL is definitely a passing league. Kirk and Rhodes could end up being a similar duo to Sherman and Browner based on size alone and Hall could go inside and shut down any slot guy. A great DL and Secondary is the recipe for a top tier D.

2. Giovani Bernard RB UNC

Bernard is definitely the back we need to target if we are looking for a compliment to BJGE. If we're looking for an every down back then Lacy is your guy, but Bernard would add the explosive element that this O is lacking.

3. Sean Porter LB Texas A&M

Porter was monster in the 3-4 as a pass rusher in 2011 and a very solid OLB in the 4-3 this season. He's a guy that could start as a rookie and make an immediate impact.

4. Robert Lester S Alabama

Lester seems to be ticketed to the late 3rd in most current mocks and dropping him to 4 isn't a stretch just yet. He's one of my favorite safeties in this class and could be an impact defender down the line. S is a position that drops routinely and with the depth of the class, we could easily add an eventual starter in 3 or 4.

5. Kevin Reddick LB UNC

Reddick has had some issues and if Sturdivant can drop to 6 then this isn't crazy. We need to add 2 LBs in this draft IMO. That is at this point though. If they add a FA and think that Joiner can make the 53 then 1 would suffice.

6. Alex Hurst RT LSU

Hurst is likely to fall in the draft due to a lack of athleticism. As a 3rd or 4th OT you don't need to be an elite athlete; he definitely has the ability to contribute in heavy packages.

6. Josh Boyce WR TCU

I like the idea of adding Boyce. He had his best season with Dalton at QB in 2010 as a true freshman and would be an interesting guy to develop as the 6th WR and a possible replacement for Hawkins should we not be able to resign him after 2013.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3197
Default Re: Pre-Combine 1.0

don't think this is possible, but if it were to happen I would be frikkin giddy.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
don't think this is possible, but if it were to happen I would be frikkin giddy.
Really only Lester seems unlikely in 4. Rhodes is seen as a late 1st which means a high 2nd is possible and Bernard rates anywhere in 2 as of now. If either kill the combine then it is highly unlikely!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73627

Absolutely yes. My favorite prospects realistically here
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

I'm sorry did you say keep Rey? I guess I'm in a dream...

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
I'm not saying he ones back a guaranteed starter; I'd like to see him back and let him compete. He's been written into the starting lineup in pen since he was drafted; I'd like I see him have to earn it.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
This logic sounds very, very similar to the elated fan when Crocker was cut and then the outraged fan when Crocker was re-signed.

Re-Signing Maualuga would serve as excellent depth and would free up the Bengals to approach the draft with a much more bpa approach.

WTS, even with re-signing Maualuga, I would still get a strong LB in either the 1st or 2nd round.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
This logic sounds very, very similar to the elated fan when Crocker was cut and then the outraged fan when Crocker was re-signed.

Re-Signing Maualuga would serve as excellent depth and would free up the Bengals to approach the draft with a much more bpa approach.

WTS, even with re-signing Maualuga, I would still get a strong LB in either the 1st or 2nd round.
If the right guy is there then definitely. Minter is intriguing for and could potentially start early. Te'o could end up being very similar to Rey, so why spend the high pick. Ogletree needs to add bulk but could help upgrade coverage at the position early on.

The other LBs are a little undersized IMO for a 1 or 2; guys like Brown and Greene.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 86

Rey will be a beast next year in stripes mark it down! He had over 100 tackles and played great.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bech72 View Post
If the right guy is there then definitely. Minter is intriguing for and could potentially start early. Te'o could end up being very similar to Rey, so why spend the high pick. Ogletree needs to add bulk but could help upgrade coverage at the position early on.

The other LBs are a little undersized IMO for a 1 or 2; guys like Brown and Greene.
You are a bit old-fashioned in your thoughts on "undersized."

Rey Lewis dropped weight in 2012. Maualuga dropped 265 lbs to 250 lbs in 2012, and his play improved. Burfict dropped weight in 2012 (from the combine) to 245 lbs.

We just desparately need LBs that can cover and have speed.

Could Ogletree gain some weight? Yes. But he will gain weight as he goes on a professional lifting schedule. I would welcome either (or both) Ogletree and Greene in stripes.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

lacy is more explosive then bernard. lacy is bigger then bernard. lacy is faster then bernard. lacy is better then bernard.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boywonder View Post
Rey will be a beast next year in stripes mark it down! He had over 100 tackles and played great.
Ummm...did we watch the same linebacker?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalrocker View Post
Ummm...did we watch the same linebacker?

That is what I was thinking. He played far from great this season. He had some solid games but also a lot of really poor performances. Don't really see him back whether that means moving Burfict to the middle or drafting a different MLB. Each year I have hoped to see progress from Rey but it just hasn't really happened. If he can be signed on the cheap then yeah I could see the reasoning for bringing him in for good depth and in hopes a fire is sparked in him but I don't see him wanting to just be depth and I don't see him signing on the cheap to stay either. If a team is willing to overpay on that same potential we have all been waiting to see then he will jump on it and this staff won't blink an eye to see him leave.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1835

For reasons unkown somewhere in my brain I dislike Anash. I have a feeling he will get overpowered in the NFL. I am probably wrong but just can't bring myself to like him. Like the rest of the draft though
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11187

I just don't see DE being a big enough need this year to merit our first pick. Just don't. I'd rather go Ol than DL in the first.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
I just don't see DE being a big enough need this year to merit our first pick. Just don't. I'd rather go Ol than DL in the first.
DE definitely isn't a need especially if MJs back; if FA goes well enough then we should be able to make a luxury pick or two come draft time.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bech72 View Post
DE definitely isn't a need especially if MJs back; if FA goes well enough then we should be able to make a luxury pick or two come draft time.
I totally agree with you there. Looking forward to being able to do a lot of BPA this draft.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
lacy is more explosive then bernard. lacy is bigger then bernard. lacy is faster then bernard. lacy is better then bernard.
Lacy isnt better than Bernard sorry but its not accurate.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24334
bengals Re: Pre-Combine 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
They are completely different backs so you are comparing apples and oranges. Bernard is better at his type of game then Lacy would be. Lacy is better at his type of game then Bernard would be.

I think you may be overstating when you say Lacy is faster than Bernard is but we will know soon enough.

Bech made a statement that you ignored and that was Bernard as a compliment back to Ellis. I have us taking Lacy in my latest mock and in doing so I would envision Benny being released as they are both power runners.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

This would not be my favorite draft but I certainly would not hate it.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
I can see what you are saying but you also have to look at value and best player available. It is very possible that Okafor and Ansah will be BPA when we select. You cannot ignore talent because it is not your greatest perceived need.

You also have to take into account that the Zimmer defense thrives on a rotation. With Ansah you have a guy that allows this team to not pursue Geathers in FA. He is a massive body that
is athletic and can run. He can play outside with speed or power and would be effective at L or R end and could easily move inside on passing or running downs.

If we were to not re-sign MJ, which I find highly doubtful, then I would supplement this selection with Okafor whom I believe is a day 1 ready starter. However, with getting MJ back there is zero downside with adding Ansah.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Can someone please explain to me the logic of drafting a CB high?

CB1: Hall/Rhodes
CB2: Dre Kirk/Newman
Slot: Pacman/Prater or Ghee

Our 2nd round pick would not see the field in 2013 while the Bengals still have huge NEEDs at Safety (could use 2) and LB (could use 2 or 3) and RB (probably need 2).

As for the "stud" defensive end and the bpa argument, I would see more value in trading back, adding a 3rd (or 2nd) rounder, and then adding more solid players.

Adding a 4th round safety doesn't work for me. What happens if Lester is gone, do the Bengals start a 5th round nobody?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:

No ****. Considering the guy has no positive attributes relating to playing LB.
No lateral movement.
No open field tackling ability
As soon as he's blocked, he can't get unblocked.
If he covered me, I'd get a touchdown.
The only logical reason people seem to still to like him is for his hair and his tats... And those people don't pay much attention to the game.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:

Our 2nd round pick would not see the field in 2013 while the Bengals still have huge NEEDs at Safety (could use 2) and LB (could use 2 or 3) and RB (probably need 2).

As for the "stud" defensive end and the bpa argument, I would see more value in trading back, adding a 3rd (or 2nd) rounder, and then adding more solid players.

Adding a 4th round safety doesn't work for me. What happens if Lester is gone, do the Bengals start a 5th round nobody?
Nice to see you're paying attention.

When Hall and A. Jones are both on the field in nickel situations, Jones lines up outside while Hall covers the slot receiver.

Newman, Clements, and Jones are FAs. Jones, Ghee, and (to a lesser extent) Prater have injury concerns. Kirkpatrick is unproven and Rhodes could possibly beat him out for the starting position opposite Hall. If the Bengals draft a CB in the 2nd round he will most likely see the field in nickel situations covering the offense's #1 or #2 WR with Hall covering the slot WR. The nickel CB sees almost as much playing time as one of the LBers. Last year proved you need good depth at CB.

And from a cap stand point, FA LBers are more affordable than FA CBs.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:

I'm typcially good with adding a top flight CB. It's a passing league...and our guys are a little long in the tooth. Furthermore, we really have no idea what we'll get out of Kirkpatrick. Best case scenario you have 3 excellent corners (Hall, Rhodes, Dre Kirk) that are under contract for the next few years. Plus with all the 3 and 4 wide sets all would get their fair share of PT if healthy. If you lose a starter you've got great depth.

Agree that safety is a huge need...but if they take a DE, WR or CB high I won't complain. All impact positions.