Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: Pre-Combine 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
lacy is more explosive then bernard. lacy is bigger then bernard. lacy is faster then bernard. lacy is better then bernard.
No one on here has mentioned much about the running back from the Florida Gators,Mike Gillisbee.Does anyone know much about him?? Is he any good?Has he been abused and worked to death or what.Someone on here awhile back said he was pretty good. I saw him in the senior bowl, but he only played a few snaps. Would appreciate some feedback about him.Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: Pre-Combine 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
I'm sorry did you say keep Rey? I guess I'm in a dream...
Very good mock from you, Natikid873>I would jump all over all the guys you picked.Hope we can get some of them, but a really good mock.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519
Default Re: Pre-Combine 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Nice to see you're paying attention.

When Hall and A. Jones are both on the field in nickel situations, Jones lines up outside while Hall covers the slot receiver.

Newman, Clements, and Jones are FAs. Jones, Ghee, and (to a lesser extent) Prater have injury concerns. Kirkpatrick is unproven and Rhodes could possibly beat him out for the starting position opposite Hall. If the Bengals draft a CB in the 2nd round he will most likely see the field in nickel situations covering the offense's #1 or #2 WR with Hall covering the slot WR. The nickel CB sees almost as much playing time as one of the LBers. Last year proved you need good depth at CB.

And from a cap stand point, FA LBers are more affordable than FA CBs.
In a nickel, I see Pacman, Dre Kirk, & Hall playing.

As for depth, I support re-signing Newman for another year.

It seems to me a 2nd round pick would be behind Hall/Dre Kirk/Pacman/Newman but ahead of Prater/Ghee.

And subsequently, the 2nd round pick wouldn't see any playing time. I'd rather get a 2013 contributor (RB, LB, S, WR) than a redshirt CB.

Addressing the "long in the tooth" issue, in 2014, I suport drafting a DE (upgrade Geathers or Gilberry) and CB (upgrade Newman) in the first 2 rounds.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bech72 View Post
I have to assume that MJ is resigned; this staff drafted him and turned him into the player that many thought he had the potential to be.

I'm also assuming that RT is set whether that means that we franchis/resign Andre Smith or roll with Anthony Collins at the spot. I also see Pacman coming back. Hoping to see a bunch of our FAs back as well; from Gilberry to Howard to Maualuga and Gradkowski, keeping our own guys is going to be important this year.

I'm also assuming that we add a vet SS; hopefully a William Moore, but a Dashon Goldson would do as well.

If there is cap space, I wouldn't hate to see us add a front loaded 3 year deal WR, either a Bowe or Jennings. Either would make the O much more dangerous and allow our young guys to develop while not making a monster extension for Green impossible.

DRAFT: Definitely skewed toward the D.

1. Ezekial Ansah DE BYU

It isn't a secret that the Ds strength is the D-line. Ansah has enormous upside and while he would be a luxury pick, why not. A DE rotation that features MJ and Dunlap as starters and has Gilberry and Ansah coming off the bench and potentially utilizes Moch as a pure PRS could end up being very dangerous.

2. Xavier Rhodes CB Florida St.

Our secondary isn't a weak spot like it was a year ago and I would expect to see Kirkpatrick enter camp as the starter opposite Hall. If Pac is back then we would have a solid 3 CB set. That said, adding Rhodes could make things very interesting considering that the NFL is definitely a passing league. Kirk and Rhodes could end up being a similar duo to Sherman and Browner based on size alone and Hall could go inside and shut down any slot guy. A great DL and Secondary is the recipe for a top tier D.

2. Giovani Bernard RB UNC

Bernard is definitely the back we need to target if we are looking for a compliment to BJGE. If we're looking for an every down back then Lacy is your guy, but Bernard would add the explosive element that this O is lacking.

3. Sean Porter LB Texas A&M

Porter was monster in the 3-4 as a pass rusher in 2011 and a very solid OLB in the 4-3 this season. He's a guy that could start as a rookie and make an immediate impact.

4. Robert Lester S Alabama

Lester seems to be ticketed to the late 3rd in most current mocks and dropping him to 4 isn't a stretch just yet. He's one of my favorite safeties in this class and could be an impact defender down the line. S is a position that drops routinely and with the depth of the class, we could easily add an eventual starter in 3 or 4.

5. Kevin Reddick LB UNC

Reddick has had some issues and if Sturdivant can drop to 6 then this isn't crazy. We need to add 2 LBs in this draft IMO. That is at this point though. If they add a FA and think that Joiner can make the 53 then 1 would suffice.

6. Alex Hurst RT LSU

Hurst is likely to fall in the draft due to a lack of athleticism. As a 3rd or 4th OT you don't need to be an elite athlete; he definitely has the ability to contribute in heavy packages.

6. Josh Boyce WR TCU

I like the idea of adding Boyce. He had his best season with Dalton at QB in 2010 as a true freshman and would be an interesting guy to develop as the 6th WR and a possible replacement for Hawkins should we not be able to resign him after 2013.
not bad at all, but hopefully we dont have to grab a de in this draft and we can take a good lb there, because honestly we could probably use 2 in this draft, but it will be interesting to see how ansah does at the next level
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
In a nickel, I see Pacman, Dre Kirk, & Hall playing.

As for depth, I support re-signing Newman for another year.

It seems to me a 2nd round pick would be behind Hall/Dre Kirk/Pacman/Newman but ahead of Prater/Ghee.

And subsequently, the 2nd round pick wouldn't see any playing time. I'd rather get a 2013 contributor (RB, LB, S, WR) than a redshirt CB.

Addressing the "long in the tooth" issue, in 2014, I suport drafting a DE (upgrade Geathers or Gilberry) and CB (upgrade Newman) in the first 2 rounds.
Why do you see Kirkpatrick over A. Jones and Newman if both are re-signed? If you see Kirkpatrick over A. Jones and Newman, why not Rhodes over A. Jones and Newman, too?

A. Jones and Newman are both FAs. A. Jones signed a 1yr/950K contract. Newman signed a 1yr/825K contract. The 37th pick in the 2012 NFL draft signed a 4yr/5.17M contract. I'd rather have a talented, young CB with the potential to improve over the next 4 years than an aging, declining Newman for one year at almost the same price and the need to fill his roster spot again next year.