Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,311
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Would be a wasted pick imo. We have Hawkins, who I'm not going to argue is as good, but we have no idea how to use him. Over the second half of the season, Hawkins was averaging 34 yards/game. Hue Jackson's offense would suit a lot receiver a lot better, but right now he'd be a useless toy.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Would be a wasted pick imo. We have Hawkins, who I'm not going to argue is as good, but we have no idea how to use him. Over the second half of the season, Hawkins was averaging 34 yards/game. Hue Jackson's offense would suit a lot receiver a lot better, but right now he'd be a useless toy.
Also just with how Andy plays (throws high) taller WR who can go up and get it are what we should look for.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
PhxBENGALfanatic's Avatar
PhxBENGALfanatic PhxBENGALfanatic is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,550
Rep Points: 1035
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Taking a WR in the third or fourth round just means that we will likely end up with the same backup caliber WRs our offense already is already loaded with. We need a starter.

There are quite a few that are worth a first round pick his year. I don't think Austin will be the guy, but I expect us to take a WR with our first pick.
I am with you! I would only go SS, WR or RB in round 1.
__________________
The time has come for everyone to clean up their own back yard before they go knocking on their neighbor’s door. WHO DEY! I see big things in our future as Bengals fans!

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,311
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Also just with how Andy plays (throws high) taller WR who can go up and get it are what we should look for.
Yup, seen a few throws this season that were just over the fingertips of Hawkins. A taller receiver would have come down with it. Andy tends to let them sail under pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Yup, seen a few throws this season that were just over the fingertips of Hawkins. A taller receiver would have come down with it. Andy tends to let them sail under pressure.
Most QB's do.
Not a huge problem. Teams should be built around the QB's skill (or lack thereof in some cases)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,311
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Most QB's do.
Not a huge problem. Teams should be built around the QB's skill (or lack thereof in some cases)
Still think Hues offense would better suit this team. If Hue was the OC next year, I'd be picking up Sanu in the slot for my fantasy team. Ran a lot of high percentage quick slants.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Still think Hues offense would better suit this team. If Hue was the OC next year, I'd be picking up Sanu in the slot for my fantasy team. Ran a lot of high percentage quick slants.
It would be about the same in final production/success.
We still lack a clear #2 for the Hue style of offense, a secondary vertical threat.

We still lack the weapons for it regardless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,335
Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Taking a WR in the third or fourth round just means that we will likely end up with the same backup caliber WRs our offense already is already loaded with. We need a starter.

There are quite a few that are worth a first round pick his year. I don't think Austin will be the guy, but I expect us to take a WR with our first pick.
Your statement really is not acccurate at all. Here is a breakdown for you. Of the WRs listed as 1or 2 on NFL depth charts (tried to take out injury replacements with insignificant snaps) it breaks down as follows:

19 - 1st RD selections
Of those 19 .....11 were bottom half of RD 1

45 starters were not 1st RD selections

13 were 2nd RD selections

32 were 3rd Rd or lower with 8 of the 32 being UDFAs
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM
RIPChrisHenry RIPChrisHenry is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 635
Rep Points: 344
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

no on tavon.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,108
Rep Points: 2917
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmp2 View Post
Love the idea. I've been watching highlights of Austin and instantly pegged him for the Bengals.

21 only seems like a reach given that LB/S seems like such a pressing need. However, the Bengals can solidify LB if Lawson and Howard re-sign. Additionally, the LBs you can get at 21 are about the same you will see in the 2nd. Lastly, one of Reid, Elam (yes please) or Vaccaro should be there at the top of the 2nd.

Austin fills three holes. Hawkins is a ER-FA. Austin does what Hawkins does except he probably does it better and for the same money. Tate is UFA. Austin can return kicks/punts. Because he can replace Hawkins as well, there is one less WR to dress. Sanu, Binns and Jones can all be active. Scott is UFA. The Bengals need an elusive change of pace RB. Austin lined up as a RB last season and carried the ball 72 times for 643 yds. While there is no way he can carry the ball 20 times a game (or even 10), moving him around could get him enough touches to spell the Law Firm.
I do like Austin and think he is possibly the next Percy Harvin. He would add needed speed and quickness to the offense. If we were to trade back to the late first early second I would be ok with it.

There is already talk that Vaccaro could go in the top 10. As the process goes along I think he is one of the safest pick in the draft. IMO if he is their at 21 you scoop him up and solve our S position. Watch out for the PIT, the Steelers they may get their next 10 year safety.

I don't think Binns somehow make it back on the roster.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 01-29-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,335
Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Interesting .....since draft info on starting NFL receivers has been posted no one really seems to want to talk about the need for a 1st RD wideout anymore.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Interesting .....since draft info on starting NFL receivers has been posted no one really seems to want to talk about the need for a 1st RD wideout anymore.
If Patterson is there at 21, he would be on my short list on who to take.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,335
Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
If Patterson is there at 21, he would be on my short list on who to take.
I have no problem taking a WR. I just find it funny that there has been all this talk from many about the only way WRs are truly successful is if they are 1st round selections yet the numbers actually tell a completely different story.

The difference being teams going thru the rookie growing pains and allowing WRs to develop. Exactly what should be done with Jones and Sanu. Keep playing them and let them continue to improve.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
crazyjdawg's Avatar
crazyjdawg crazyjdawg is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cincy
Posts: 9,960
Rep Points: 19781
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Id rather not go with WR in the first round. I think we can address WR in the third or fourth round with some good talent. We could even address it via Free Agency as well. I would rather address Linebacker or O-Line in the first round. I think you will only see one WR go in the first and that will be Allen from Cal!!
We already have some 3rd and 4th round talent at WR. I'd rather have a WR that can compliment AJ rather than just feed off of his double coverage.
__________________


5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,335
Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
We already have some 3rd and 4th round talent at WR. I'd rather have a WR that can compliment AJ rather than just feed off of his double coverage.
I cannot help to think though that Sanu and Jones were starting to show that they do have some talent. As well, very different in their talent. I find it very possible that one or both could end up complimenting AJ very well.

I favor Sanu. While he does not have burner speed he just seems to be a football player if that makes sense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I cannot help to think though that Sanu and Jones were starting to show that they do have some talent. As well, very different in their talent. I find it very possible that one or both could end up complimenting AJ very well.

I favor Sanu. While he does not have burner speed he just seems to be a football player if that makes sense.
And you are willing to pin the offense's success on the hopes of a 3rd and 5th rounder both panning out?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,335
Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And you are willing to pin the offense's success on the hopes of a 3rd and 5th rounder both panning out?
I do not think the success should be pinned to them or if we were to select a 1st RD receiver on that player either. I feel this offense needs to develop a more consistent running attack that employs a threat that can take it to the house if they get in the open field.

I think developing the running game to perform at a consistently high level will do more for this offense than adding another WR will do. I also would like to see better utilization of guys like Orson Charles. I feel he was a guy that showed skill but just was not given enough opportunity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I do not think the success should be pinned to them or if we were to select a 1st RD receiver on that player either. I feel this offense needs to develop a more consistent running attack that employs a threat that can take it to the house if they get in the open field.

I think developing the running game to perform at a consistently high level will do more for this offense than adding another WR will do. I also would like to see better utilization of guys like Orson Charles. I feel he was a guy that showed skill but just was not given enough opportunity.
I think this offense needs an upgrade of talent. RB and WR.
The offense hinges on those two spots being upgraded.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I cannot help to think though that Sanu and Jones were starting to show that they do have some talent. As well, very different in their talent. I find it very possible that one or both could end up complimenting AJ very well.

I favor Sanu. While he does not have burner speed he just seems to be a football player if that makes sense.
Makes all the sense in the world, but my thought is Sanu in the slot, because of the way he crosses the middle, but either way, I believe both are keepers.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,335
Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I think this offense needs an upgrade of talent. RB and WR.
The offense hinges on those two spots being upgraded.
Will not totally disagree but I do believe that we are going to see some seriously good football from Sanu. I am not as sold on Jones but I think he showed flashes.

I do think importance wise that we have to upgrade the running game. That is not a shot at Benny either. I think he did a great job last season with the skillset that he has. I just still believe his strength lies in tough yardage, short yardage, and goal lie sets.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,865
Rep Points: 30139
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Sorry, I just don't see a slot receiver as a first round need.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,108
Rep Points: 2917
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And you are willing to pin the offense's success on the hopes of a 3rd and 5th rounder both panning out?
IDK we had a pretty good 7th rounder pan out and be a great #2 for some years.

Hopkins is the only guy I like at the top of our draft but not in the 1st.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM
arsonist7 arsonist7 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: white oak
Posts: 239
Rep Points: 152
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

no, no, and no why do people keep wanting to draft another wr with such a high pick when we got a stud wr 2 yrs ago and 2 promising rookies this past year, grab a good FA wr and focus on lb(possibly 2), safety, good running back, and oline
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 AM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,365
Rep Points: 25303
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
IDK we had a pretty good 7th rounder pan out and be a great #2 for some years.

Hopkins is the only guy I like at the top of our draft but not in the 1st.
And? Has nothing to do with anything
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,108
Rep Points: 2917
Default Re: Tavon Austin in the 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And you are willing to pin the offense's success on the hopes of a 3rd and 5th rounder both panning out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And? Has nothing to do with anything

What? I'm saying that Housh was a 7th rounder and turned out to be a great #2. I would say that both Sanu and Jones looked better then Housh did in his rookie year. Does that clear it up for you?
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.