Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 291
Default The Freak's Early Mock

All the usual caveats apply: Way early in the process, before the combine, before pro days, free agency can change, blah blah blah...

Resign:
Andre Smith - Priority 1
Michael Johnson - Priority 1A
Pat Sims - Not very flashy, but we're a different defense when he's in there. Need to make him one of the priorities.
Kevin Huber - Solid punter, gets the job done
Mike Nugent / Josh Brown - pick one, locks up the kicking game
Adam Jones - Has really been a great corner and revived his career. Probably won't be expensive because of his past.
Terence Newman - Has also revived his career, will want to stick with Zimmer.
Cedric Peerman - Solid speacial teamer and backup RB. Could get more snaps at RB.
Thomas Howard - Coming off an injury, won't have a lot of options. We're thin at LB, so we'll bring him back.
Clark Harris - Who? Exactly!
Richard Quinn - Depth.
Bruce Gradkowski - Solid backup QB.
Chris Crocker - We'd definitely like an upgrade, but we definitely don't want to downgrade. We resign him, just in case.
Dennis Roland - See Chris Crocker
Jeromy Miles - Safety Depth and special teams.
Dan Skuta - Special teamer won't have many options, stays here to compete for a spot. He's certainly been a survivor.
Rey Maualuga - Won't see a lucrative offer from another team, or from us really. Although he could possibly go to the 49ers and become a superstar like several other ex-bengals. But he knows his best chance of success is probably to stay here. We'd like to upgrade, but we'll resign him for no guaranteed money just in case we can't bring someone else in.

Does not resign:
Wallace Gilberry - Will find the grass greener elsewhere after a solid season. We'd like him back for sure, but I think he can get a bigger contract from another team.
Bernard Scott - Coming off an injury, hasn't stayed healthy, hasn't made an impact. Will try to revive his careeer elsewhere.
Brandon Tate - Good luck to you.
Brian Leonard - Doesn't seem to fit in here, will look for new opportunities
Nate Clements - Aging, declining, will look for other opportunities.
Manny Lawson - Probably looks to go elsewhere after a rough year.
Robert Geathers - Too expensive, declining production.

Outside FA: Just like each of Mike Brown's years, no one big. We'll sign some middle of the road guys, but no who will blow your hair back or be marked as a significant improvement over the guy he replaced.

Team needs:
1. Offensive playmaker. This could be at RB, WR, or TE. He could be on the roster (Gresham with better hands/consistency?, Sanu?, Jones?), but it never hurts to add a playmaker.

2. Linebacker - The cupboard is pretty bare here, with guys either declining (Lawson), injured (Howard), or just not very good for whatever reason (Maualuga). Also, with Burfict's history I do worry if he can handle the offseason. I think he does, but that does stick in the back of my mind as we maybe don't count on him too much until he proves it.

3. Safety/Corner - The depth and talent at safety has been well chronicled. We're certainly better at corner, but we're aging and the youth has fought injury. Here's hoping Kirkpatrick comes back strong and Ghee can break the injury bug.

4. Offensive line - I think Center is questionable, and depth at Tackle is always priority for Alexander. I think we could see a surprise tackle pick in the second round of the draft - kind of like how we took Whitworth when Levi Jones was a pro bowl alternate.

On to the draft:
I will admit, this draft engages in a lot of wishful thinking that these guys slide to our positions. I think there is a good chance none of the first 5 guys make it to the picks where I have them slotted.

1. Alec Ogletree LB, Georgia - He is the athlete we need to play the LB position. Heck, we might actually cover a tight end for the first time in twenty something years. One thing scares me, his suspension earlier this year. No one seems to mention it, but can this guy handle an NFL lifestyle?

2a. Giovanni Bernard RB, North Carolina - Here's hoping he can be the playmaker on offense that we need.

2b. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers - We continue to make over our LB core with the atheltic Rutgers 'backer. Would probably sit behind Howard as he returns from injury.

3. T.J. McDonald, S, USC - Possibility to start since we're weak at safety, but likely to add depth his first year and see an increase in playing time throughout the season.

4. Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida - Lots of talent, lacks focus. Hopefully Alexander can get his fundamentals straightened out and get him focused on using that athletic ability.

5. Emory Blake, WR, Auburn - Has the physical ability, height and speed ratio.

6a. Cornelius Washington, DE, Georgia - rangy DE to add to compete for a roster spot

6b. Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas - Adding depth and a playmaker on special teams. Could compete for the return jobs immediately.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182
Default Re: The Freak's Early Mock

Like it.

Personally, I dont want to see Maualuga in stripes again. Is it an emotive instead of rational response...yes..probably...but can you blame me after Texans game?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
Like it.

Personally, I dont want to see Maualuga in stripes again. Is it an emotive instead of rational response...yes..probably...but can you blame me after Texans game?
Just the Texans game? How about the entire season? Show him the door.

The draft is solid. Not a fan of McDonald personally though, but if he's the best available,
fine. I'm hoping this is the year were we find a starting caliber safety in the draft.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Just the Texans game? How about the entire season? Show him the door.

The draft is solid. Not a fan of McDonald personally though, but if he's the best available,
fine. I'm hoping this is the year were we find a starting caliber safety in the draft.
There was no single game where he was picked on more and it was so plainly evident the strategy was throw to the TE or RB that Rey was guarding. That is why I said Texans game.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21020

Look at what you defined as team needs. Then look at who you actually selected. See anything peculiar?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 567

really like it! if we get Ogletree, bernard, and greene id be thrilled. only thing id like to see is a #2WR somewhere but i could live with this for sure.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43048

Not bad, but two major flaws to my opinion.

A. Don't let Gilberry walk, he's good and they need to keep him around. Plus, it saves a draft spot from having to take a DE.

B. Would much rather have Eddie Lacy as a high RB selection, over Bernard who I feel will get beat down in the NFL. Then use the later pick saved by re-signing Gilberry on another RB...Zac Stacy.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
There was no single game where he was picked on more and it was so plainly evident the strategy was throw to the TE or RB that Rey was guarding. That is why I said Texans game.
It's hard to argue with you when we agree with each other. So I'm gonna leave it at that.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

TJ McDonald can't cover.I want a safety that can cover rb's and te's and he's just not it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
TJ McDonald can't cover.I want a safety that can cover rb's and te's and he's just not it.
yes me too, as well as a good lb who can to
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

A. Don't let Gilberry walk, he's good and they need to keep him around. Plus, it saves a draft spot from having to take a DE.

B. Would much rather have Eddie Lacy as a high RB selection, over Bernard who I feel will get beat down in the NFL. Then use the later pick saved by re-signing Gilberry on another RB...Zac Stacy.
Gilberry is a Free Agent. As a Free Agent, he can decide not to resign here, it is a two way street. I think us spending big money on Johnson combined with Gilberry's solid play will lead to him choosing to sign elsewhere. I'd love to re-sign him, I thought he played great for us this year, I just think his play will earn him a bigger contract and role somewhere else than we can offer here. A victim of the numbers, so to speak.

I can see drafting Lacy over Bernard. I do wonder if Lacy is a product of an offensive line that was clearly a level above everyone they played. Also, he seems to be a similar runner to the Law Firm, which does not add a new dimension to our offense the way Bernard would.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Like it.

Me either, but I think he re-signs. We'll need to find an upgrade, but that doesn't mean we don't re-sign him. It just means we maintain our current level until we can upgrade. It wouldn't be hateful to see him here as a backup coming in on obvious running downs. But I'd like to see him on the bench more than on the field.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post

It worries me that he is one of the relatively few players our staff had meetings with during Senior Bowl week. I really don't remember any other Safeties we met with. There's 5-6 guys I want before him
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBengalFreak View Post
Me either, but I think he re-signs. We'll need to find an upgrade, but that doesn't mean we don't re-sign him. It just means we maintain our current level until we can upgrade. It wouldn't be hateful to see him here as a backup coming in on obvious running downs. But I'd like to see him on the bench more than on the field.
I think Zimmer likes to go with guys that know the system. I think that is why Dre never saw the field and Newman played all the time. I think that could be the case if Rey retrns. I could see just minor changes in the LBer play if Rey stays.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

I think it's important to resign Gilberry. He was really good. I like Lacy alot too and would be happy with either one. I see Bernard as a change of pace guy and Lacy as a 3 down back on this club
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 673
bengals Re: The Freak's Early Mock

Gilberry is a MUST,
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I think it's important to resign Gilberry. He was really good. I like Lacy alot too and would be happy with either one. I see Bernard as a change of pace guy and Lacy as a 3 down back on this club
Once again, I would love to re-sign Gilberry. I just think he'll be a victim of the numbers. We'd have to throw starter money at him, and he'll get a better opportunity somewhere else that HE will pursue. Keep in mind he's not restricted, if he can go to another team even if we want him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham fan View Post
Gilberry is a MUST,
Over Johnson and Smith? You really think so?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
All the usual caveats apply: Way early in the process, before the combine, before pro days, free agency can change, blah blah blah...

Resign:
Andre Smith - Priority 1
Michael Johnson - Priority 1A
Pat Sims - Not very flashy, but we're a different defense when he's in there. Need to make him one of the priorities.
Kevin Huber - Solid punter, gets the job done
Mike Nugent / Josh Brown - pick one, locks up the kicking game
Adam Jones - Has really been a great corner and revived his career. Probably won't be expensive because of his past.
Terence Newman - Has also revived his career, will want to stick with Zimmer.
Cedric Peerman - Solid speacial teamer and backup RB. Could get more snaps at RB.
Thomas Howard - Coming off an injury, won't have a lot of options. We're thin at LB, so we'll bring him back.
Clark Harris - Who? Exactly!
Richard Quinn - Depth.
Bruce Gradkowski - Solid backup QB.
Chris Crocker - We'd definitely like an upgrade, but we definitely don't want to downgrade. We resign him, just in case.
Dennis Roland - See Chris Crocker
Jeromy Miles - Safety Depth and special teams.
Dan Skuta - Special teamer won't have many options, stays here to compete for a spot. He's certainly been a survivor.
Rey Maualuga - Won't see a lucrative offer from another team, or from us really. Although he could possibly go to the 49ers and become a superstar like several other ex-bengals. But he knows his best chance of success is probably to stay here. We'd like to upgrade, but we'll resign him for no guaranteed money just in case we can't bring someone else in.

Does not resign:
Wallace Gilberry - Will find the grass greener elsewhere after a solid season. We'd like him back for sure, but I think he can get a bigger contract from another team.
Bernard Scott - Coming off an injury, hasn't stayed healthy, hasn't made an impact. Will try to revive his careeer elsewhere.
Brandon Tate - Good luck to you.
Brian Leonard - Doesn't seem to fit in here, will look for new opportunities
Nate Clements - Aging, declining, will look for other opportunities.
Manny Lawson - Probably looks to go elsewhere after a rough year.
Robert Geathers - Too expensive, declining production.

Outside FA: Just like each of Mike Brown's years, no one big. We'll sign some middle of the road guys, but no who will blow your hair back or be marked as a significant improvement over the guy he replaced.

Team needs:
1. Offensive playmaker. This could be at RB, WR, or TE. He could be on the roster (Gresham with better hands/consistency?, Sanu?, Jones?), but it never hurts to add a playmaker.

2. Linebacker - The cupboard is pretty bare here, with guys either declining (Lawson), injured (Howard), or just not very good for whatever reason (Maualuga). Also, with Burfict's history I do worry if he can handle the offseason. I think he does, but that does stick in the back of my mind as we maybe don't count on him too much until he proves it.

3. Safety/Corner - The depth and talent at safety has been well chronicled. We're certainly better at corner, but we're aging and the youth has fought injury. Here's hoping Kirkpatrick comes back strong and Ghee can break the injury bug.

4. Offensive line - I think Center is questionable, and depth at Tackle is always priority for Alexander. I think we could see a surprise tackle pick in the second round of the draft - kind of like how we took Whitworth when Levi Jones was a pro bowl alternate.

On to the draft:
I will admit, this draft engages in a lot of wishful thinking that these guys slide to our positions. I think there is a good chance none of the first 5 guys make it to the picks where I have them slotted.

1. Alec Ogletree LB, Georgia - He is the athlete we need to play the LB position. Heck, we might actually cover a tight end for the first time in twenty something years. One thing scares me, his suspension earlier this year. No one seems to mention it, but can this guy handle an NFL lifestyle?

2a. Giovanni Bernard RB, North Carolina - Here's hoping he can be the playmaker on offense that we need.

2b. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers - We continue to make over our LB core with the atheltic Rutgers 'backer. Would probably sit behind Howard as he returns from injury.

3. T.J. McDonald, S, USC - Possibility to start since we're weak at safety, but likely to add depth his first year and see an increase in playing time throughout the season.

4. Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida - Lots of talent, lacks focus. Hopefully Alexander can get his fundamentals straightened out and get him focused on using that athletic ability.

5. Emory Blake, WR, Auburn - Has the physical ability, height and speed ratio.

6a. Cornelius Washington, DE, Georgia - rangy DE to add to compete for a roster spot

6b. Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas - Adding depth and a playmaker on special teams. Could compete for the return jobs immediately.

ogletree...dont like the value, i dont see him being anybetter than hodges. hodges can also play all three lb pisitions but can also rush and i like him better against the run. IMO alec is weak at the point of attack and i feel the better move here is to trade back get more picks and add Hodges in the third.

dont mind bernard but i dont think he is as good as everybody makes him out to be. He has great feet and inccredible hands but his strength in the NFL will be an issue and he is also not fast. I worry about that. I think there are better backs to get here for our team...if lacy is here id take him over bernard along with ball, Randle, or ellington. But id rather grab a running back with our second, 2nd rounder and with our first grab a top notch safety.

Khaseem greene is to small he got swallowed up alot in the senior bowl, once an olineman got ahold of him he wasnt going anywhere.. i watched him carefully...no thanks.

TJ mcdonald hes better with his hips and can turn and run better than Taylor mays, but what is that really saying. Theres a ton of safeties even at this pick that are much better players for us and what we need. no thanks on the little bit better taylor mays, in TJ mcdonald. Much rather have swearinger, P thomas, Jefferson, the list goes on..

I like the rhodes pick. great value here. Love it. although i dont want us to draft a corner id rather sign a FA its tough to argue with the value and talent of this kid at this pick. im all for it.

Emory blake....hmm we just spent a 3rd and a 5th on a reciever last year, u want to dit again based on what... No thanks on a late round reciever. go receiver early or not at all. we just did this last year guy.

I like cornelius washington and i llike the position. I like David bass at this pick instead but he could continue to rise.

I love dennis johnson. I think he will be goooooood.

overall....ehh.

Last edited by RIPChrisHenry; 01-31-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
ogletree...dont like the value, i dont see him being anybetter than hodges. hodges can also play all three lb pisitions but can also rush and i like him better against the run. IMO alec is weak at the point of attack and i feel the better move here is to trade back get more picks and add Hodges in the third.

Ogletree is better than Hodges and Im a huge suporter of drafting Hodges. Ogletree stuffed your boy Lacy in the hole on the goalline in the SEC championship. He also took him down when Lacy was running with a full head of steam (granted Ogletree fell backwards). I do think he is a little too much of a read and react player, but his speed and athleticism make up for that. If he is there we should absolutely pull the trigger.

dont mind bernard but i dont think he is as good as everybody makes him out to be. He has great feet and inccredible hands but his strength in the NFL will be an issue and he is also not fast. I worry about that. I think there are better backs to get here for our team...if lacy is here id take him over bernard along with ball, Randle, or ellington. But id rather grab a running back with our second, 2nd rounder and with our first grab a top notch safety.

Eddie Lacy is a monster, but as stated in the OP he ran behind an amazing oline. Plus he had a COP back in Yeldon to keep defenses on their toes. BJGE is the same back we need Gio, or Ellington, or Barner to add some speed back there.

Khaseem greene is to small he got swallowed up alot in the senior bowl, once an olineman got ahold of him he wasnt going anywhere.. i watched him carefully...no thanks.

Greene had a sub par Senior bowl but he is still one of the best cover LB in the draft. Passing on him would be a mistake especially if he is still there at 2b

TJ mcdonald hes better with his hips and can turn and run better than Taylor mays, but what is that really saying. Theres a ton of safeties even at this pick that are much better players for us and what we need. no thanks on the little bit better taylor mays, in TJ mcdonald. Much rather have swearinger, P thomas, Jefferson, the list goes on..

I actually agree with you here. A lot of safeties I feel are better in coverage

I like the rhodes pick. great value here. Love it. although i dont want us to draft a corner id rather sign a FA its tough to argue with the value and talent of this kid at this pick. im all for it.

He picked Xavier Nixon not Xavier Rhodes

Just my opinion
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18627

Quote:
Maybe teams will see the reason Gilberry produced like he did, much like Fanene and Rucker, was that he was part of a rotation that happened to include Geno and take that production with a grain of salt like they should..
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

If you're going to draft a safety, it better be a guy that can cover. If Vacarro is on the board I'm praying that we take him.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
If you're going to draft a safety, it better be a guy that can cover. If Vacarro is on the board I'm praying that we take him.
Shawn Williams covers very well, tackles well, and already plays a style similar to how Zimmer plays our safeties. He can also be had in the 3rd or 4th. I really hope we don't panic and grab a safety ahead of other needs with shallower talent pools.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...