Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7773
Default Re: I didn't know LeBeau choked during our superbowl

Billups drop was still the difference. Rarely will I ever say that 1 certain play was responsible for loss. But this one and Bill Buckners World Series play qualify in my book.

Probably the only Joe Montana pass ever dropped that was thrown that perfectly to a player. Right in the #'s. Still hurts to to think about it.

But still like Billups as a Bengals player. Bengals jinx entered the game and coupled with Joes lucky horseshoe. It was a recipe for Bengals disaster pie.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588

Anytime you lose you are always going to question the steps you took in the game.

Since we lost we get to think...
If the offense could have turned one of those field goals into touchdowns...
If Krumrie doesn't break his leg...
If Wilson isn't caught doing cocaine...
If LeBeau changes his coverages...
If Billiups intercepts that ball...

The 49er's fans get to remember them winning on the last drive.
Not:
Steve Wallace broke his ankle...
We had only the second KO returned for a touchdown...
We missed the shortest field goal in Superbowl history...

Winning makes you forget the bad stuff and focus on the good stuff.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 70

Would love to have seen Billups catch it, but with an entire quarter to go, you can't say that the game would have been decided differently. The entire fourth quarter would have been different. The way the Niners were moving the ball once they decided to start winging it was unreal. Bengals D had no answer.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
Anytime you lose you are always going to question the steps you took in the game.

Since we lost we get to think...
If the offense could have turned one of those field goals into touchdowns...
If Krumrie doesn't break his leg...
If Wilson isn't caught doing cocaine...
If LeBeau changes his coverages...
If Billiups intercepts that ball...

The 49er's fans get to remember them winning on the last drive.
Not:
Steve Wallace broke his ankle...
We had only the second KO returned for a touchdown...
We missed the shortest field goal in Superbowl history...

Winning makes you forget the bad stuff and focus on the good stuff.
Good points. In fact, the play before that shortest missed FG by the 49ers they should have had a TD run by Tom Rathman, but the umpire ran into him and prevented him from scoring! They also had the first ever reversal of a completed pass in Superbowl history, when a pass completed inside the 5-yard line was overturned because of a slight bobble by the receiver when he hit the ground. 49ers certainly missed plenty chances of their own in that game.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
I dont think he was thrown to in the first half, but we cant exactly say that none of the attempts when Andy was flushed or sacked were not designed for Green.
Doesn't matter, you can make excuses to as why Green had ZERO targets but a game plan that was designed to not fully exploit your only true play maker in a do or die game is faulty at any level.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5183

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballBender View Post
I was reading this article about coaches and the tough choices they face during the superbowl and the Bengals/49ers superbowl was mentioned....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...chaos-big-game

Of course, Holmgren wasn't the only coach to have such issues in the heat of such a huge moment. Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator **** LeBeau -- who is widely considered one of the smartest defensive minds in the game's history -- had a rough night when he coached Cincinnati's defense against San Francisco in Super Bowl XXIII. That game is best known for the 92-yard drive that ended with 49ers quarterback Joe Montana hitting John Taylor for the game-winning touchdown. But that legendary Super Bowl moment might not have happened if LeBeau had listened to his fellow assistants during the possession.

Defensive coaches pleaded with LeBeau to alter his schemes as the 49ers moved up the field, according to one team source. They specifically wanted LeBeau to double-cover 49ers wide receiver Jerry Rice, who was on his way to an 11-catch, 215-yard performance. LeBeau responded by sticking with the same defense -- a cover-2 look with four down linemen and two linebackers -- that gave Montana ample opportunity to make history. "**** actually apologized for that after the game was over," the team source said. "Here's one of the greatest defensive coaches ever, and even he choked in the Super Bowl."

Bummer
Leave it to him to do that when hes with us but not when hes with the Steelers..
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather07 View Post
Leave it to him to do that when hes with us but not when hes with the Steelers..
Well ... remember the Steelers did give up a late TD to Larry Fitzgerald in the last Superbowl they won. Just lucky for them on that occasion there was more than 34 seconds left on the clock for their offense to respond with their own TD.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 866

I hate the word "choke" in general, and it certainly doesn't apply in this situation. LeBeau made what he thought at the time was the best decision. Only he -- not his assistants, not even the head coach -- had the most knowledge of all factors. It really annoys me that some writer who probably never played or coached puts the "choke" tag on a Hall of Famer.

Coaches make hundreds of decisions during a game. Some of them are going to be wrong. Just because it happened when it did doesn't mean that he choked. Hindsight is always 20-20.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
Hindsight - yadda....

Like seriously he cares about your forgiveness....
It didnt take hindsight to know that gameplan would fail miserably.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3082

Speaking of our Super Bowl, it's playing right now on the NFL channel.

I think I'll watch it right up until Breech kicks the last field goal, then off it goes.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 70

Huge play never talked about was in bengals last series. The last 3downs before the field goal,they were trying to get a first and run some clock. However Kozerski, playing center had a false start. Now it's 1st and 15. No longer would three handoffs to Ickey get a first. He also had a false start in another drive that the bengals were deep in 9er territory ruining a TD chance. Take away that last false start and try again. One more first down and more clock runs. Maybe a TD. It was a big fuch up by the center
Old 02-02-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6495

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacow21 View Post
For the eight millionth time,Billups dropped imt was the second play of he fourth quarter,NOT THE FINAL DRIVE.
Still led to a 49'er TD.

If that had been Fulcher, then the Lombardi XXIII would have been ours.

Billups was also a no good punk.