Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise > Hot Topic: Free Agency & Trades

Hot Topic: Free Agency & Trades Discuss all speculation on free agency & trade matters as they pertain to the Bengals. Who would you like for them to sign or deal for? Who are the top free agents available?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 164
Default Felix Jones would look great in stripes

There is talk about Reggie Bush coming to the Bengals in free agency, or possibly a trade for Darrin McFadden. Felix Jones is a guy that the Bengals should look to sign. Bush brings too much of a circus with him, and McFadden is too pricey and injury prone.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11256/felix-jones

He's just 25 years old, with great speed. He is a good receiver out of the backfield. (125 receptions the past 4 seasons) Despite his reputation as being fragile, he's missed just 6 games in the past 4 seasons. He's been a situational player in Dallas, and would serve the same role here. 8-10 carries a game with BJGE still here spitting carries and getting perhaps the slight edge. He'll also likely contribute and 2-3 receptions a game. He's 5'10 215. So although hows not really a strong back, he can run a little bit between the tackles. Imagine his speed hitting a few of those holes that were there for BJGE this past season. He'll be a lot less money than either of the other 2 backs mentioned, and he would essentially be the player Bernard Scott was supposed to be. He's a former first rounder, that hasn't blossomed into a feature back, but is effective in a reserve role. He has just 569 career carries. Adding Felix Jones to a short deal, 2-3 years wouldn't deter the strategy of drafting another RB in the first 3 rounds, and getting him some playing time as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10536
Default Re: Felix Jones would look great in stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
There is talk about Reggie Bush coming to the Bengals in free agency, or possibly a trade for Darrin McFadden. Felix Jones is a guy that the Bengals should look to sign. Bush brings too much of a circus with him, and McFadden is too pricey and injury prone.

He's just 25 years old, with great speed. He is a good receiver out of the backfield. (125 receptions the past 4 seasons) Despite his reputation as being fragile, he's missed just 6 games in the past 4 seasons. He's been a situational player in Dallas, and would serve the same role here. 8-10 carries a game with BJGE still here spitting carries and getting perhaps the slight edge. He'll also likely contribute and 2-3 receptions a game. He's 5'10 215. So although hows not really a strong back, he can run a little bit between the tackles. Imagine his speed hitting a few of those holes that were there for BJGE this past season. He'll be a lot less money than either of the other 2 backs mentioned, and he would essentially be the player Bernard Scott was supposed to be. He's a former first rounder, that hasn't blossomed into a feature back, but is effective in a reserve role. He has just 569 career carries. Adding Felix Jones to a short deal, 2-3 years wouldn't deter the strategy of drafting another RB in the first 3 rounds, and getting him some playing time as well.
Pretty sure I have ran his name in the ground around here.....

http://boards.bengals.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=22

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1

Last edited by Lawless_1; 01-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: -37

I would absolutely love to see Jones here for the right price. We can't play this vanilla offense anymore bring out the swing passes!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360
bengals Re: Felix Jones would look great in stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-1-sack View Post
I would absolutely love to see Jones here for the right price. We can't play this vanilla offense anymore bring out the swing passes!
Forget felix, guy runs like a *****, and he SHUCKS, No thanks. if he comes here ima be soo bumbed. so, so bumbed. Bush or nobody at running back in free agency.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

He is garbage. He has been in the NFL for 5 years in one of the better offenses over that time and has only 2728 rushing yards and 11 TDs. His job was quickly taken by a 3rd round pick. And his production has been on the decline for the last 3 years. Every time he is given the opportunity to step up he fails.

The only criteria he meets that we look for is that he is a first round flop and would be a reclamation project that could be had cheap.

He was a hand picked Jerry Jones golden boy who was from Jerry's alma mater and despite that fact has "earned" just 23 career starts.

A guy with declining production and durability concerns is far from my wish list.

Sure he is young and still has a chance to turn his career around. But I would rather let someone else take the gamble on that.

Do you really want the type of guy who comes into camp in a contract year fat and out of shape and fails conditioning tests? That shows poor dedication and really to me shows he doesn't care.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13757

Felix Jones... really? I'd rather draft a guy.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5072

Garbage.....Are we just naming all FAs now and saying we should get them?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089

Too many great RBs in the upcoming draft that fit the mold of what Gruden has stated he wants. Plus, we are not looking for a #1 RB, but more of a complementary RB that could play more of a role if BJGE went down.

I would be surprised if the Bengals went to FA for a RB like Bush, McFadden, or even Felix Jones. But Jones does fit the former first-round "bust" label that the Bengals may feel they could rebirth.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
Felix Jones... really? I'd rather draft a guy.
Signing Jones would in no way deter getting another RB in the draft. It's not like he would command a huge, long term contract. It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario. It can, and should be a do both scenario.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19168

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Too many great RBs in the upcoming draft that fit the mold of what Gruden has stated he wants. Plus, we are not looking for a #1 RB, but more of a complementary RB that could play more of a role if BJGE went down.

I would be surprised if the Bengals went to FA for a RB like Bush, McFadden, or even Felix Jones. But Jones does fit the former first-round "bust" label that the Bengals may feel they could rebirth.
He's also never really been a feature back so he wouldn't have a problem with backing up someone else.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post

I would argue that there aren't any "great" RB's at all in the upcoming draft. Most folks seem to think that there may be 1-2 guys taken in the first round. (Bernard and Lacy), and a slew of good potential RB's that will likely go in rounds 2-4. Felix Jones has never been a #1 back in his career. His career high in carries is 185, and he even split carries in college. Felix Jones is that complimentary back you speak of that could play more of a role if BJGE were to get injured.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Garbage.....Are we just naming all FAs now and saying we should get them?

Garbage? Are you just calling any potential free agents garbage, and dismissing them? Tell me specifically what it is you don't like about a guy that has a 4.8 career YPC, and has caught 125 passes of the past 4 years with a completion to target ratio of 81%.

For what it's worth, I have started threads about 2, that's right, exactly 2 free agents. Jones and Devery Henderson. Where is you comment even coming from? If you think me starting threads about exactly TWO free agents is just naming all of them, there is really nothing for me to say. I didn't just name them and leave the thread, I actually discussed the players and what they could bring to the table for this team and how they could fit in. If that is not to your liking, you are free to not post in the thread, but to make a comment in the thread about naming all FAs, is just ludicris.

Feel free to explain what part of Jones game, contract expectations,or off the field issues that may play a role in his signing, and why you may not want him in stripes.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
He is garbage. He has been in the NFL for 5 years in one of the better offenses over that time and has only 2728 rushing yards and 11 TDs. His job was quickly taken by a 3rd round pick. And his production has been on the decline for the last 3 years. Every time he is given the opportunity to step up he fails.

The only criteria he meets that we look for is that he is a first round flop and would be a reclamation project that could be had cheap.

He was a hand picked Jerry Jones golden boy who was from Jerry's alma mater and despite that fact has "earned" just 23 career starts.

A guy with declining production and durability concerns is far from my wish list.

Sure he is young and still has a chance to turn his career around. But I would rather let someone else take the gamble on that.

Do you really want the type of guy who comes into camp in a contract year fat and out of shape and fails conditioning tests? That shows poor dedication and really to me shows he doesn't care.
I don't think if he signs, he would need to concern himself with the number of "starts" he earns. I wasn't suggesting signing him to become a starter. Sign him to continue his role that he has done for the past 4 seasons. A complimentary back with speed and good receiving skills. 8-10 carries and 2-3 receptions per game.

As to him reporting out of shape last year, that is a concern. But he was also coming off of shoulder surgery, so perhaps that played a part in his inability to work out as he usually would in the off season.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5072

Quote:
Garbage? Are you just calling any potential free agents garbage, and dismissing them? Tell me specifically what it is you don't like about a guy that has a 4.8 career YPC, and has caught 125 passes of the past 4 years with a completion to target ratio of 81%.

For what it's worth, I have started threads about 2, that's right, exactly 2 free agents. Jones and Devery Henderson. Where is you comment even coming from? If you think me starting threads about exactly TWO free agents is just naming all of them, there is really nothing for me to say. I didn't just name them and leave the thread, I actually discussed the players and what they could bring to the table for this team and how they could fit in. If that is not to your liking, you are free to not post in the thread, but to make a comment in the thread about naming all FAs, is just ludicris.

Feel free to explain what part of Jones game, contract expectations,or off the field issues that may play a role in his signing, and why you may not want him in stripes.
Simple he is an average back and not really an upgrade over Law Firm outside of speed. He has issues staying healthy and he really doesn't feel holes open they have to be huge.My comment about FAs is to a lot of guys who post about any FA out there not necessarily you.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Simple he is an average back and not really an upgrade over Law Firm outside of speed. He has issues staying healthy and he really doesn't feel holes open they have to be huge.My comment about FAs is to a lot of guys who post about any FA out there not necessarily you.
The Law Firm is going to be here. He is what he is, a solid back that lacks breakaway speed. Signing Felix in no way would replace the law firm, or to upgrade the starting RB position. He is a complimentary back, as I stated in the OP. 8-10 carries and 2-3 receptions a game. Pretty much what he's doing now in Dallas. Jones has a lot more speed than BJGE, and would have likely been able to take a couple of those big runs BJGE had to the house. For what it's worth, BJGE really needs open holes to run through as well. He's not the type of back to create a play when it's not there. I agree Jones isn't either, but our line is pretty good at opening those holes. We just need a back with enough speed to hit the holes and get to the second level. Jones has that speed, and more, he can outrun most LB's and safetys in the league. And he can catch the ball really well.

No worries about your FA comment. I understand there are threads about nearly every player released or in FA, and a lot offer no opinions of the OP. Many just give a name and ask for thoughts. I haven't posted a lot here, and I won't ever be a big time poster. But when I do start a thread, I try to make a case for my opinion, and at least give thought to various aspects of a players game, contract expectations, and off field issues.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1513

I don't think he is the RB we are looking for - a complement to BJGE.

He wouldn't take the running game to the next level. I hope we find that RB in the draft.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13757

Quote:
Signing Jones would in no way deter getting another RB in the draft. It's not like he would command a huge, long term contract. It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario. It can, and should be a do both scenario.
I thought the same thing when we signed BJGE
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Quote:
I would argue that there aren't any "great" RB's at all in the upcoming draft. Most folks seem to think that there may be 1-2 guys taken in the first round. (Bernard and Lacy), and a slew of good potential RB's that will likely go in rounds 2-4. Felix Jones has never been a #1 back in his career. His career high in carries is 185, and he even split carries in college. Felix Jones is that complimentary back you speak of that could play more of a role if BJGE were to get injured.
I do not believe for one moment that our staff will get someone elses back in FA.I do believe they will go after someone in this draft that can be taught our system.I would be shocked if they signed another free agent from another team.I do not see anyone in free agency that would sign for the bucks that mikey would offer.As for a wide receiver, perhaps yes.I would not want someone elses RB, unless he has a ton of upside and was blazin fast and those guys are not released.Most of the RB'S in free agency have issues, either too slow, injured, alot of miles on them or too old and on and on.The good ones are not released and why take a chance on them when we can get a really good one in 2nd or 3rd round, which i think they will for sure do.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Quote:

Mike Gillisbee, FLORIDA GATORS. look him up. He could be the guy they get in 2nd or 3rd if he is still sitting there.Dude can fly,is a willing blocker, a team guy, no troubles,very physical,good hands,has a second gear when he hits the hole, and is very smart.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44779

Quote:

Pass on Felix Jones.

There must have been a reason that this great talent hasn't emerged as the next great shining star for the Cowboys.

What's his knock? Can he not pass block, or something? Does he fumble? Is he "soft"?? There has to be a legitimate reason he's not "the man" with the Cowboys.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Pass on Felix Jones.

There must have been a reason that this great talent hasn't emerged as the next great shining star for the Cowboys.

What's his knock? Can he not pass block, or something? Does he fumble? Is he "soft"?? There has to be a legitimate reason he's not "the man" with the Cowboys.
He's not feature back material. He is a bit "soft" and isn't a very physical football player. His pass blocking is below average at best. He seems to get nicked up a bit during games, but displays some toughness by playing through and not missing games. He had off season shoulder surgery last year, but no major injury concerns. He doesn't fumble excessively, but he could improve. 10 career fumbles in just over 750 career touches, so approx 1 fumble in every 75 touches. He can also return kickoffs, and has a 24 yd average per return, and a 98 yarder.

Essentially he can be what Bernard Scott was supposed to be, and we can still go after a back in the draft.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44779

Quote:
He's not feature back material. He is a bit "soft" and isn't a very physical football player. His pass blocking is below average at best. He seems to get nicked up a bit during games, but displays some toughness by playing through and not missing games. He had off season shoulder surgery last year, but no major injury concerns. He doesn't fumble excessively, but he could improve. 10 career fumbles in just over 750 career touches, so approx 1 fumble in every 75 touches. He can also return kickoffs, and has a 24 yd average per return, and a 98 yarder.

Essentially he can be what Bernard Scott was supposed to be, and we can still go after a back in the draft.

Everything that you just listed are very good reasons for him not to be a Bengal.

Soft RB, poor pass blocker, 1 fumble in every 75 touches. (that's like every other game, for a feature back)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Everything that you just listed are very good reasons for him not to be a Bengal.

Soft RB, poor pass blocker, 1 fumble in every 75 touches. (that's like every other game, for a feature back)
Again, I can't emphasize this enough. He is not a feature back. I am not advocating him coming here to be a feature back, I'm saying to bring him in as a complimentary back. BJGE is our guy to get the bulk of the work. He'll get his 15-20 carries. Jones would be a guy to spell BJGE, and catch a few passes out of the backfield. He has great speed, and a few of those runs that BJGE had last year may have been taken to the end zone by Jones.

actually 1 fumble every 75 touches would equal about 4 a year for a feature back getting 300 carries, or 5 a year for a heavy workload of 375 touches a year. About average, not a fumbling issue at all.

Soft RB as is in he will try to run around the defender instead of over them, and he will take what is there and get out of bounds, but he's not the player to turn it back inside for extra yardage or punish defenders. He's a better receiver than pass blocker, and I would trade the speed and above average receiving skill, for the below average pass blocking, to fill the role the Bengals offense needs. If Bernard Scott was getting the Bengals 615 yards rushing, while averaging 4.5 YPC, and catching 32 passes for another 260-265 yards, 8.4 YPC and 3-4 TD's, no one would care that Bernard Scott can't block. But we haven't got that production from Bernard, and he still can't block either. The numbers are the average for Jones in the past 4 seasons.

I would like to have the Bengals replace Bernard Scott, and still draft a back. Jones is a guy that has produced in limited opportunities, and his role here would continue to be limited. I would feel much better going into next season with a guy like Jones that I know what he's capable of doing and producing, BJGE, and a rookie 2-3 round pick. Than I would with bringing Bernard Scott back, and a rookie to pair with BJGE, or going with BJGE and 2 rookies. Leonard, Peerman and/or Herron are depth and special teams type guys IMO, and shouldn't be looked at as solutions to the RB position. I think Jones offers an upgrade to all of those guys, and wont cost a ton of money.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4196

Quote:
Again, I can't emphasize this enough. He is not a feature back. I am not advocating him coming here to be a feature back, I'm saying to bring him in as a complimentary back. BJGE is our guy to get the bulk of the work. He'll get his 15-20 carries. Jones would be a guy to spell BJGE, and catch a few passes out of the backfield. He has great speed, and a few of those runs that BJGE had last year may have been taken to the end zone by Jones.

actually 1 fumble every 75 touches would equal about 4 a year for a feature back getting 300 carries, or 5 a year for a heavy workload of 375 touches a year. About average, not a fumbling issue at all.

Soft RB as is in he will try to run around the defender instead of over them, and he will take what is there and get out of bounds, but he's not the player to turn it back inside for extra yardage or punish defenders. He's a better receiver than pass blocker, and I would trade the speed and above average receiving skill, for the below average pass blocking, to fill the role the Bengals offense needs. If Bernard Scott was getting the Bengals 615 yards rushing, while averaging 4.5 YPC, and catching 32 passes for another 260-265 yards, 8.4 YPC and 3-4 TD's, no one would care that Bernard Scott can't block. But we haven't got that production from Bernard, and he still can't block either. The numbers are the average for Jones in the past 4 seasons.

I would like to have the Bengals replace Bernard Scott, and still draft a back. Jones is a guy that has produced in limited opportunities, and his role here would continue to be limited. I would feel much better going into next season with a guy like Jones that I know what he's capable of doing and producing, BJGE, and a rookie 2-3 round pick. Than I would with bringing Bernard Scott back, and a rookie to pair with BJGE, or going with BJGE and 2 rookies. Leonard, Peerman and/or Herron are depth and special teams type guys IMO, and shouldn't be looked at as solutions to the RB position. I think Jones offers an upgrade to all of those guys, and wont cost a ton of money.
Jones has never had a 1,000 yard season. You got to have a rb that is able to take over BJGE should he get hurt. With BJGE in the middle of his career it is probably best to draft a RB who would be able to start if need be.
3. OLB Ronnell Lewis 6'2" 253 Oklahoma
4. RB Ronnie Hillman 5'9" 200 San Diego St
5.. TE Rhett Ellison 6'5" 251 USC
5. FS Aaron Henry 6'0" 208 Wisconsin
5. WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 182 Arkansas
6. OG Joe Looney 6'3" 309 Wake Forest
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23013

Quote:

He's just 25 years old, with great speed. He is a good receiver out of the backfield. (125 receptions the past 4 seasons) Despite his reputation as being fragile, he's missed just 6 games in the past 4 seasons. He's been a situational player in Dallas, and would serve the same role here. 8-10 carries a game with BJGE still here spitting carries and getting perhaps the slight edge. He'll also likely contribute and 2-3 receptions a game. He's 5'10 215. So although hows not really a strong back, he can run a little bit between the tackles. Imaginemini his speed hitting a few of those holes that were there for BJGE this past season. He'll be a lot less money than either of the other 2 backs mentioned, and he would essentially be the player Bernard Scott was supposed to be. He's a former first rounder, that hasn't blossomed into a feature back, but is effective in a reserve role. He has just 569 career carries. Adding Felix Jones to a short deal, 2-3 years wouldn't deter the strategy of drafting another RB in the first 3 rounds, and getting him some playing time as well.
Don't you question missing 6 games in 4 seasons while only being used in a situational role?

You know who I think would look good in stripes? In no particular order:

Eddie Lacy
Giovani Bernard
Christine Michael
Joseph Randle
Mike Gillislee
Johnathan Franklin
Kenjon Barner (in tandem with one of the above)
Kerwynn Williams (in tandem)
Andre Ellington (in tandem)