Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089
Default Warming Up and Cooling Down

Throughout this past season and current offseason building up to the draft, we have all had our favorites that we would like to see become a Bengal, as well as those that may be talented, but had some issues (either on field or off field) that made us hope the Bengals stay away from them.

However, I have seen some people choose players in their mocks that they formerly did not care for, and vice versa.

So I ask you...which player(s) have you warmed up to and which player(s) have you cooled down on? And why?

Warming Up:
Matt Elam, SS Florida
- I really dislike(d) how careless he has been at times, taking dumb penalties for being overly aggressive. Reminded me of the carelessness of Taylor Mays in the preseason. But watching him more, I noticed he has gotten smarter, and is still one heck of a playmaker with a great motor. I think that if we could harness his aggression much like we did with Burfict, we could have a star at SS. Again, not saying he's my favorite safety this year, but I'm liking him more than I used to.

Cooling Down:
Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford -
Chase Thomas is the type of OLB that our team tends to aim for when searching for a SAM. I would still prefer him over a pure college DE like Mingo, as Thomas still has some amount of coverage skills, but his performance at the end of the season has been less than stellar. Also, we just signed Maybin. Between Maybin, Joiner, and Moch, we have our rushing style of SAM. Because of this, it would be nice to see a more traditional OLB at SAM to swap in and out with Maybin/Joiner/Moch, and that OLB could come in the draft. Some good candidates include Sean Porter and Gerald Hodges. I wouldn't be too upset though if the Bengals picked Thomas, as he is intelligent and has a good motor. Just needs to develop his coverage skills more, and learn to have better instincts.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648
Default Re: Warming Up and Cooling Down

Warming Up:
Monte Ball, RB Wisconsin
- He is a TD machine. I liked other backs like Lacy better, but I really think Ball could be the guy. He does have more wear on him than Lacy, but I think he is worth the gamble. Especially if he is around at the bottom of the second round. He has been compared to Curtis Martin. Not a bad comparison at all.

Cooling Down:
Any Center
- I just don't think it is as dire as we think. Robinson played well, and Cook will have more time to bounce back come next season. I think as fans we assume coming back from injury should be seamless, but it isn't. The coaching staff probably should have left in Robinson all season though.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmerga View Post
Warming Up:
Monte Ball, RB Wisconsin
- He is a TD machine. I liked other backs like Lacy better, but I really think Ball could be the guy. He does have more wear on him than Lacy, but I think he is worth the gamble. Especially if he is around at the bottom of the second round. He has been compared to Curtis Martin. Not a bad comparison at all.

Cooling Down:
Any Center
- I just don't think it is as dire as we think. Robinson played well, and Cook will have more time to bounce back come next season. I think as fans we assume coming back from injury should be seamless, but it isn't. The coaching staff probably should have left in Robinson all season though.
Agreed that they should have left Robinson in the rest of the season, and probably would have if we had been eliminated from the playoffs. If Cook was not fully recovered, he should not have gone back in, but when your job is potentially threatened, you try and do what you can I guess.
I too think they may give the current centers one more year before possibly pulling the trigger on upgrading the position. It may just be hope that we see someone like Jones or Frederick drafted.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Agreed that they should have left Robinson in the rest of the season, and probably would have if we had been eliminated from the playoffs. If Cook was not fully recovered, he should not have gone back in, but when your job is potentially threatened, you try and do what you can I guess.
I too think they may give the current centers one more year before possibly pulling the trigger on upgrading the position. It may just be hope that we see someone like Jones or Frederick drafted.
I wouldn't hate an upgrade at Center, but I don't think it will happen. Personally I like Khalid Holmes in the third round if possible. I think we can get some playmakers instead of going after the top 2 centers with our first 3 picks.

Something like...

1. Vacarro or Ogletree (Or try to trade down)
2a. Lacy, Ball, or Bernard
2b. DaRick Rogers or another good WR.
3. Khalid Holmes

Still, I think they will have other players and positions higher on our board than Center. If Sean Porter or Jamie Collins is there in the 3rd, I would think we would value them over a Center.

Same with RB, WR, S, LB in the first two rounds.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13777

Warming up

Cordelle Patterson - Thought he was too raw and suspect hands, but looks to be moving up the boards. Explosive.

Cooling Down

Jarvis Jones - Just not sold on the guy. He seems to be falling. I should say I'm not sold on him early, if he somehow is around at 21 we have to consider him.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Warming up: Any WR in the top 2 rounds
-if we don't land a solid vet in FA then I really want this team to take a WR high in order to try and land a playmaker. We need to upgrade that position group one way or another.

Cooling down: Manti Teo
-i still think he'd be a good player to have, bit taking him in the 1st if hes available isn't something I'd particularly like.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22833

Cooling Down:

As some of you have said, any center.

Warming Up:

Arthur Brown + Khaseem Greene

I'd really like both of these guys. I've been pushing for Greene for awhile now, but I hadn't watched much tape on Brown until recently. I'd love to trade down in the first and grab both of them and a RB in the 2nd round.

Maybe go:

1. Elam
2a. Brown
2b. Lacy or Bernard
2c. Greene
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23172
bengals Re: Warming Up and Cooling Down

Warming up:

Christine Michael RB Texas A&M

Kenjon Barner RB Oregon

Phillip Thomas S Fresno State

Cooling down:

Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39539

Cooling

KENNY VACCARO- Do not like the fact that he declined his invite to the Senior Bowl.

Warming

MIKE GILLISLEE- Loved him early in the season then fell out of love. He has worked his way back to like.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5086

Warming:

Da'Rick Rogers- I keep seeing comparisons of Julio Jones, but with Randy Moss issues. I'd take the risk for a shot to have a elite threat on the other side of AJ.

Cooling:

Bacarri Rambo- I think the guy is over hyped because of his name......
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1035

Cooling Down: Giovani Bernard - RB - UNC
Giovani had a very good year and decided his time was now. His youth and lack of breakaway speed is a huge concern. This team needs a player who is ready to take on the load when needed. Deep down I doubt this is the guy we need to fill that role. His size is not a huge concern for me but his durability is. I feel there are players who are better suited to take their game to the NFL.

Warming Up: Jordan Poyer - CB - OSU
I am warming up to the idea of a CB early and if Poyer is there with pick 2a I would take long look at this guy. He plays the run and was left on a island with the way the beavers blitz on defense. He has good size and speed with ball skills this secondary lacks outside of Leon. Poyer is a solid punt and KO returner and that is another boost to his value. I know the Dre pick looms large but they could be the tandem of the future at corner for the Bengals. I think this kid has what it takes!

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Last edited by PhxBENGALfanatic; 02-01-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23172
bengals Re: Warming Up and Cooling Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBENGALfanatic View Post
Cooling Down: Giovani Bernard - RB - UNC
Giovani had a very good year and decided his time was now. His youth and lack of breakaway speed is a huge concern. This team needs a player who is ready to take on the load when needed. Deep down I doubt this is the guy we need to fill that role. His size is not a huge concern for me but his durability is. I feel there are players who are better suited to take their game to the NFL.

Warming Up: Jordan Poyer - CB - Oklahoma State
I am warming up to the idea of a CB early and if Poyer is there with pick 2a I would take long look at this guy. He plays the run and was left on a island with the way the Cowboys blitz on defense. He has good size and speed with ball skills this secondary lacks outside of Leon. Poyer is a solid punt and KO returner and that is another boost to his value. I know the Dre pick looms large but they could be the tandem of the future at corner for the Bengals. I think this kid has what it takes!
Pretty sure Poyer plays for Oregon State. That would be the Beavers and not the Cowboys.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3285

Warming up:

Phillip Thomas - I really love Elam - but I doubt he'll be there in the 2nd round and Thomas should be. He also appears to be a smart, disciplined player - something we need with Nelson at the other spot.

Cooling down:

Alec Ogletree - the guy has the measurables no doubt. I just don't know if he's got the right stuff between his ears. Not a really well informed opinion on my part I must admit, but just the impression I get watching him.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8286

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Cooling

KENNY VACCARO- Do not like the fact that he declined his invite to the Senior Bowl.

Warming

MIKE GILLISLEE- Loved him early in the season then fell out of love. He has worked his way back to like.
I'm in agreement with this.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Pretty sure Poyer plays for Oregon State. That would be the Beavers and not the Cowboys.
Yes my mistake! You are correct!

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter