Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1909
Default Zimmer in playoff game

I re-watched the playoff game. The #1 thing I noticed about the game about our defense was that the pass rush was completely non existent. Mike Zimmer brought more than 6 guys in a blitz only 3 time the entire game. The rest of the time it was just the front 4 or maybe a solo blitzer from time to time. It almost as if Zimmer was afraid of getting beat. In every big game we play it seems like he always runs and hides with his play calling. Yes the front 4 has gotten consistent pressure on their own the entire season but things change in the playoffs. Texans completely out coached us and completely out gameplanned us two years in a row.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921
Default Re: Zimmer in playoff game

I don't know if you call a 19-13 ball game being completely outcoached or gameplanned.

We didn't want to get eaten alive on the play action end of story.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
I don't know if you call a 19-13 ball game being completely outcoached or gameplanned.

We didn't want to get eaten alive on the play action end of story.

Exactly Zimmer was afraid of getting beat. The texans held the ball for nearly 40 minutes and compiled 420 yards of total offense.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22382

We spent a good portion of the season getting pressure from only rushing 4.
Texans isolated Geno and forced the other 3 DL to generate the pressure.
They didn't.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3222

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
[/b]

Exactly Zimmer was afraid of getting beat. The texans held the ball for nearly 40 minutes and compiled 420 yards of total offense.
When your offense stinks its hard not to play conservative defense. The last few games or so our offense couldn't bail out a misdeamener J-Walker, let alone the defense giving up points from being aggressive.

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Things change in the playoffs. 5 olineman vs 4 Dlineman equals 2 guys on Atkins. When you blitz it forces the other team to keep tight ends in to block rather than running wide open down the field. Zimmer didn't force the texans into anything, rather sitting back and taking it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49546

Quote:
I re-watched the playoff game. The #1 thing I noticed about the game about our defense was that the pass rush was completely non existent. Mike Zimmer brought more than 6 guys in a blitz only 3 time the entire game. The rest of the time it was just the front 4 or maybe a solo blitzer from time to time. It almost as if Zimmer was afraid of getting beat. In every big game we play it seems like he always runs and hides with his play calling. Yes the front 4 has gotten consistent pressure on their own the entire season but things change in the playoffs. Texans completely out coached us and completely out gameplanned us two years in a row.
If he had blitzed more then we might have given up even more points.

Then you would be here ripping him for blitzing too much and saying that we got out coached.

Our defense only gave up one td. They played well enough for us to win.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12256

I don't even know how you got the strength to go back and watch that game. I was so mad I deleted it right after it was over. It would be nice to go back and rewatch it. Maybe in the dog days of the offseason, but it still too soon.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49546

Quote:
Things change in the playoffs. 5 olineman vs 4 Dlineman equals 2 guys on Atkins. When you blitz it forces the other team to keep tight ends in to block rather than running wide open down the field. Zimmer didn't force the texans into anything, rather sitting back and taking it.
No things don't change in the playoffs. Every team we faced all year had 5 O-linemen against our 4 d-linemen.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6521
bengals Re: Zimmer in playoff game

Quote:
[/b]

You sure that was the defense's fault and not the offense scoring 6 points (the defense scored 7), and otherwise not being able to get a first down, thus giving the Texans a ton of offensive drives? I don't care how many yards they gave up, when that OL was holding as bad as they were, anytime the offense only needs to score 13 points to win, the defense has done it's job and then some.

Zimmer did a great job. The Texans scored 19, which isn't even a very impressive number.. but combine that with the Bengals D scoring 7, so an already impressive 19 turns into essentially 12. Look at the game results for ANY other playoff game this year. The Texans had the lowest score total of any won playoff game this year. Nobody else won with less than 24 points.

Find out how many games are won when a team's offense only needs to score 13 points. I bet you it's some ungodly high percentage.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22382

Quote:
And one less guy in coverage.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4687

Quote:
And with all that still the 2nd fewest points given up in the entire playoffs so far...outside of the 13 given up by Houston to our Offense...not out game planned on Defense...Offense yes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

If we had a MLB worth a crap we likely would have won that game. Shaub and Daniels were playing catch out there, exploiting Maualuga every chance they got.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 42851

Quote:

Just to ensure that I'm reading this post correctly.

You want to throw the man who brought respect back to the Bengals' defense under the Bus??

While you were re-watching that game, did you not notice the number of times that our offense gave the ball back to Houston??

When the defense has to be on the field that long, the coach has to get the most quality time out of his players.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
They didn't.
I think you've nailed it ... they had a good game blocking Geno and how much we depend on him was exposed.

Quote:
Things change in the playoffs. 5 olineman vs 4 Dlineman equals 2 guys on Atkins....
We typically line up in the over-stacked formation which means the O-line has to double Peko and Geno is singled up. I haven't watched that playoff game again, but hard to imagine we lined up any differently too much in that game.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7930

Hey I love Zim and I am/have been stoked that he is a Bengal but getting beat 3 times in two years by the same team is unacceptable.
The Texans even managed to beat Cincy with Yates ( a 3rd stringer) at the helm.
I wouldn't lay the blame on Zim but I will say that the coaching staff as a whole has failed miserably against Houston in the past two seasons.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5515

Quote:
True.

Quote:
They didn't.
I think it was partially that Schaub was getting the ball out so quick. Which could indicate a break down in our secondary. However, a lot of those passes were to Owen Daniels or Arien Foster and when they were to Andre Johnson they were over the middle. So we're back to needing better LBs.

The more I think about it though, the more I agree that even though we held them to 19 points, the defense was inadequate in that game. Specifically, the middle linebacker.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
They didn't.
Not really. The front four racked up a bunch of sacks in terms of numbers, but they never really applied consistent pressure all season. There was way too often when the opposing QB had all day to throw.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16844

So Zim's defensive game gave up 19 points, how many were field goals?

This is just assinine.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
So Zim's defensive game gave up 19 points, how many were field goals?

This is just assinine.
Bottom line is the texans drove up and down the field at will. They dominated offensively, controlling the ball the entire game because our D couldn't get them off the field, and they could have scored a lot more points if they needed to.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2545

Defense was not the problem.

Our inability to convert on 3rd down, lack of explosive plays, and consistency was the problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21392

Quote:
LMAO. ...if you rewatched the game then you saw that Schaub never once dropped more than three steps. They were not going allow us to get pressure because Schaub is not good enough to beat you when you consistently get in his face.

The numbers of Andre Johnson should as well be a telling sign of this. They did nothing but run the ball and dump it off quick. The lack of quality LBs lost that game.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Defense was not the problem.

Our inability to convert on 3rd down, lack of explosive plays, and consistency was the problem.
Oh defense was a problem. Our LBs not being able to cover TEs and the short field was a problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 806

Lets see the Defence allowed 19 points with a poor field position pick by Dalton & Zimmer's D scored the Bengals only touch down. I am sorry but if you think the D was the problem, then you are high off your ***.

While its probably true there was no pressure on Schwab, that goes to playing probably against the best O-line in the league. They did shut down one of the hottest WRs in A.Johnson, but did let Foster get loose a liitle bit. I am sorry but to me the loss blame goes to Jay Gruden, No run game, & no 3rd down conversions. I am sorry if AJ Green has single coverage & 0 1st half targets.... What is wrong with you? However all and all I didn't think the Bengals had a chance at the playoffs last year with that schedule so I'd say it was a successful season in stripes.

Last edited by bambino5130; 01-31-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
LMAO. ...if you rewatched the game then you saw that Schaub never once dropped more than three steps. They were not going allow us to get pressure because Schaub is not good enough to beat you when you consistently get in his face.

The numbers of Andre Johnson should as well be a telling sign of this. They did nothing but run the ball and dump it off quick. The lack of quality LBs lost that game.
He only needed to dump off to the right ends and Foster because they weren't forced to block once in the game. Why keep foster and Danials into block when the opposing defense is only rushing 4 guys. Schaub was not touched once in the game and your defending the defense. If linebackers are your weakness than a great defensive coordinator would find away to make them better