Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1666
Default Re: Anyway the Bengals could demote Jay Gruden to RB coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
I'm one of those who believe he did. They said leading up to it if we were going to win it was going to be because another receiver stepped up. Well no other receiver did. They also said last year that we went to AJ too much forcing it to him and was to dependent on him. Ignoring him seemed to be by design, hoping Gresham, Jones and or Hawk would step up and make a name for themselves as many stars are born in playoff runs.

My issue with Gruden is the offense fell apart weeks before the playoffs. And the schizophrenia playcalling that would cause him to forget to run the ball/ stick with a script/ call plays with purpose that led to future plays (play actions) etc.... He was all over the place at times with no method to his madness.
Yup, I back this 100%.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1454
Default Re: Hue Jackson to be new RB coach

Congrats to Hue. For what its worth, I would have rather seen him at OC and bring in Eric Bieniemy as the RB coach, but he was already picked up by the chiefs to be their RB coach. He was canned from the OC gig at CU along with Jon Embree, who subsequently just got picked up to coach TE's for the Brown. Bienemy was instrumental in AP's first couple of years in the league. They should have moved on him earlier if they knew JA was retiring.

Last edited by urinalcake; 01-31-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 11683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
Looks like another great hire by Mike Brown and Marvin is in the works.
Round 3 - AJ McCarron - 6'3" 220

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1572
bengals Re: Anyway the Bengals could demote Jay Gruden to RB coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy <3's Da Bengals View Post
Yup, I back this 100%.

Hey, jj22, i back your messge at 100% as well. Jay Gruden Must ball-out this season with no more crazy, maddening play-calling that was for sure all over the place with no script worth a crap.I hope this guy settles down and comes up with a game-plan that works and he can adjust to on the fly when needed.His brain-cells must be super good this year for us to get in the playoffs.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsIronMan View Post
Maybe we have always gone with the big back because that's what JA wanted? I want Gio we already have our bull in BJGE. The threat to break a huge run or haul in a deep pass, Gio will add a nice few pages to the playbook, and I'm all for opening it up!
Actually, a big back like Lacy can also open things up as safeties would need to be thinking run support. He may not be a 20 yard reception threat, but he could surely take a dump pass that far. I like the way the 49ers can salt away leads at the end of a game with power run formations. Lacy could help with that.

Young, Deep, Talented, and Driven. 12-4, AFC North Champs
This year, they make a run...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I like how people assume Jay just went away from AJ in the playoff game out of design
I could've sworn Jay actually admitted he did.

Of course, it would be hard to find that quote now.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I could've sworn Jay actually admitted he did.

Of course, it would be hard to find that quote now.
From Dalton's Post-Game Quotes:
On why he was more successful targeting WR A.J. Green in the second half than in the first half and if it was due to manipulation in coverage:
“Well I think just the designs of the plays; we were trying to get (TE) Jermaine (Gresham) the ball early. We were trying to get some of the other guys going, but we weren’t making plays. I need to do a better job making sure A.J. gets his catches. He is one of the best receivers in this league. He needs to have the ball thrown his way a lot. I think I could have done a little bit better job, but we tried to get other guys involved as well.”

On if the Texans were able to take WR A.J. Green away completely in the first half:
“No, they weren’t necessarily taking him away; we just had designs where we were going to other guys. We got to the second half and I started throwing his way.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...9-29553208404e

This is as close as I could find from Gruden:
“We had 15 plays in the first half. It’s not like we had 35 plays and none of them were to A.J. One of them was a kneel-down," Gruden said. "A lot of them were screens that did not work. We had a couple pass plays and every pass play that we have there is a big alert for (Green).

"It just happened to work out like that. We tried to work Jermaine out early and he missed a couple plays and it just didn’t work out. The first drive of the game we had great field position and we had the drop on second down and there was third and long and we had to punt. Second drive of the game we had a run for two to three yards, then tried a screen play, which was a tackle for a loss of four, and then had third and long and had to punt again. Then third drive of the game something similar happened. We had a couple first downs and had to punt and then on the fourth drive had to take a knee. Just like that. They did an excellent job of controlling the clock and we did a poor job of keeping our defense off the field so it worked hand in hand."

Gruden is mad at himself for calling two screens early that got blown up ("We hadn’t run a lot of screens throughout the year and now you see why"), but he thought it was the best way to attack Houston's pass rush.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-877343ee2d7f

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73156

If in an case Jay did do that intentionally, then yeah, he should be gone
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 746

Just think, Ocho would have been crying for the ball. AJ played like a professional.

A bad day at a Bengals game beats a good day in the office!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
If in an case Jay did do that intentionally, then yeah, he should be gone
Judging from the quotes posted by Since82 and other quotes I've seen, it was Jay's plan to get others involved early.

Dalton's stats tell the story. In the first half, he went 4 of 10 for 3 yards. Gresh had several drops. In the 2nd half, Dalton went 10 of 20 for 124 yards. Big improvement after he was told to target AJ, but it was too little too late.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-31-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3825

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglester View Post
Just think, Ocho would have been crying for the ball. AJ played like a professional.
Actually Chad threw a punch at half time because he thought he was not getting the ball enough..
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3825

Does anyone think the Bengals already knew Anderson was going to retire...they go to Hue last year and say this year you can be a defensive assistant and then next year when Anderson is gone you are RB coach and maybe OC if Gruden leaves..and then he is in place if Gruden leaves this coming year...If I was a betting man I would say this is what happened....hard to go from a offensive minded Head Coach to a defensive assistant without something else involved
Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50497

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
Does anyone think the Bengals already knew Anderson was going to retire...they go to Hue last year and say this year you can be a defensive assistant and then next year when Anderson is gone you are RB coach and maybe OC if Gruden leaves..and then he is in place if Gruden leaves this coming year...If I was a betting man I would say this is what happened....hard to go from a offensive minded Head Coach to a defensive assistant without something else involved
Hobson wrote that the defensive assistant title was just a way to get Hue on the coaching staff last year, and that he was insurance for the OC spot if Gruden had left.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3482

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
I would think that's how it went down. I can't imangine JA all of a sudden deciding to retire. I'm sure he told Marvin and MB that when he turned 65, he was going to hang it up. Now, I think it was fortuitous that Hue fell into our laps. And, I doubt it was planned.

But, with Gruden getting interest as a HC last season as well as this season, Hue is a good insurance policy. It's a little bit curious that Marvin made him a Defensive Backs coach. But, any slot to get him on staff will work.

Also a little surprising that the Bengals haven't announced Hue's promotion yet. Only thing I can think is Hue may be holdling out to see if any other OC positions open up after the SB. It's not like there are going to be more slots opening for him in the next couple of weeks, though. Or, maybe he's trying to get more money from Mike Brown given the promotion.