Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4196
Default I think the Bengals will consider drafting

QB of Tennessee Tyler Bray 1st round and RB 2nd round.

Sounds crazy to many I'm sure but but one huge problem we are having with Dalton is missed opportunities. He's not hitting receivers in stride and not laying the deep balls in a place they can be caught. It's all because he doesn't have the natural arm strength to do it. He's reaching deep with in to deliver a ball which is why most are over-thrown or under-thrown. Dalton to me would be a very good back up but as it is now there's nobody to push or threaten Dalton.

2nd rounders would be something like Montee Ball of Wisconsin and Matt Elam SS from Florida.

WR's would be far off my list to draft because Sanu was very much on the rise before the foot injury, It actually put a big dent in our offense when he went down but overall we have good talent at WR that just need the experience.
3. OLB Ronnell Lewis 6'2" 253 Oklahoma
4. RB Ronnie Hillman 5'9" 200 San Diego St
5.. TE Rhett Ellison 6'5" 251 USC
5. FS Aaron Henry 6'0" 208 Wisconsin
5. WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 182 Arkansas
6. OG Joe Looney 6'3" 309 Wake Forest
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: I think the Bengals will consider drafting

If we draft Tyler Bray in the first round, we might as well throw in the white flag for the 2013 season.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1whodeybrew View Post

Sounds crazy to many I'm sure but but one huge problem we are having with Dalton is missed opportunities. He's not hitting receivers in stride and not laying the deep balls in a place they can be caught. It's all because he doesn't have the natural arm strength to do it. He's reaching deep with in to deliver a ball which is why most are over-thrown or under-thrown. Dalton to me would be a very good back up but as it is now there's nobody to push or threaten Dalton.

2nd rounders would be something like Montee Ball of Wisconsin and Matt Elam SS from Florida.

WR's would be far off my list to draft because Sanu was very much on the rise before the foot injury, It actually put a big dent in our offense when he went down but overall we have good talent at WR that just need the experience.
This will sound like I am hating on Mike Brown but it isn't, it is common sense from a marketing major.

Mike Brown will not draft a new QB because Andy Dalton and AJ Green are the face of the franchise right now and generate the most money.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2439

I can't say that Andy Dalton is going to be an elite QB yet. However, I have no doubts that he will be the QB here for a a minimum of at least 3 more years and probably a lot longer than that. He just needs to become more consistent and get a better running game around him and all will be fine. Also, Tyler Bray is really not that great. He put up some big numbers against inferior competition last season and some pretty bad numbers when he had to play the better teams on Tennessee's schedule. He has had phenomenal weapons on offense at Tennessee and an elite offensive line as well. No way this guy will be a first round pick for any team let alone our team.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
This will sound like I am hating on Mike Brown but it isn't, it is common sense from a marketing major.

Mike Brown will not draft a new QB because Andy Dalton and AJ Green are the face of the franchise right now and generate the most money.
why not, its not like mike brown doesnt deserve to be ripped,smallest scouting dept in the league, no gm, and the most money of all the teams to spend
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15318

Quote:

I like the idea of drafting Bray...........................

in the 4th or 5th round where he belongs

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:

I disagree about the deep ball because most times he puts too much air under them.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19176

I don't see much when I watch Bray.

Sure, he has a rocket arm, but his accuracy is god awful

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymad View Post
why not, its not like mike brown doesnt deserve to be ripped,smallest scouting dept in the league, no gm, and the most money of all the teams to spend
The smallest scouting department in the league has led to some of the most highly regarded drafts in recent years. And a team with back to back playoffs appearances has more money to spend than anyone else. How is that grounds for ripping?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post

Mike Brown i$ not a Cheap$kate. Hi$ prime concern i$ NOT hi$ money.......He i$ a man of honor and care$ more about his fan$ then hi$ cold Hard ca$h!!!.................Naaah....not even MB's own momma would buy that song.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2969

If they drafted Bray and Ball that early, I'd find it very difficult to stomach watching games.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3786

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
I disagree about the deep ball because most times he puts too much air under them.

This isnt directed at you. Just pointing something out about how about Andy's deep ball accuracy.

Andy Dalton was 5th or 6th with deep ball accuracy during the 2011 season (Throws over 20 yards) Bengals Offensive line was top 5 in least amount of sacks given up to opposing defenses.

This season Andy was near the bottom with his accuracy over 20 yards, but the offensive line was also near the bottom with sacks and pressure given up to the opposing defense. When Dalton has time to throw he is very accurate. When rushed he has to release the ball to early and more often than not this season over threw his target. I think a combination of him having more experience throwing rushed and the offensive line protecting better will help next year.

PS. Did find the article. Its over 3 years but Dalton made the Accuracy List.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-deep-passing/

He ranked 6th - 28 Completions 60 Attempts 46.7% Accuracy

Last edited by Synric; 01-31-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
The smallest scouting department in the league has led to some of the most highly regarded drafts in recent years. And a team with back to back playoffs appearances has more money to spend than anyone else. How is that grounds for ripping?
Sure, the grades are good after the draft, but ask yourself this - how many starters have we drafted from our recent drafts. Then ask yourself if we really have drafted all that great.

2012 - 1 (Zeitler). This number will surely change as it is too early to judge this group.
2011 - 3
2010 - 3
2009 - 4 (counting Huber)
2008 - 2 (that's if you count Simpson as a starter)
2007 - 1

That's not exactly a great run of drafts. 14 starters added over 6 years. A good set of scouts would increase the number of starters drafted.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:

If they draft Bray in the 1st,I will be done with this team.He's not worth it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3050
bengals Re: I think the Bengals will consider drafting

Tyler Bray has the physical tools of a franchise NFL QB, but he hasn't shown the poise, intangibles, and consistency of an NFL QB. I think in the end there's a good chance he could go in the second, more likely ending up in the third round depending on what happens with drafted QBs in the first two rounds since teams get antsy and overdraft the position.

Plus remember he played with what could end up being 3 NFL WR's over the course of his career so he's definitely had talent around him. I think he'd make a great developmental prospect. Maybe Andy Reid will sniff at him if he acquires a veteran in FA instead of drafting a different rookie.

Oh and there is 0% chance we draft him unless he falls way down to us in the 3rd or later and probably not even then.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Sure, the grades are good after the draft, but ask yourself this - how many starters have we drafted from our recent drafts. Then ask yourself if we really have drafted all that great.

2012 - 1 (Zeitler). This number will surely change as it is too early to judge this group.
2011 - 3
2010 - 3
2009 - 4 (counting Huber)
2008 - 2 (that's if you count Simpson as a starter)
2007 - 1

That's not exactly a great run of drafts. 14 starters added over 6 years. A good set of scouts would increase the number of starters drafted.
No team hits 7 picks every year. No doubt I would like them to be better and they could be better. But since our team almost never goes out and gets big time free agents I credit the majority of our success, having reached the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years, to guys we have drafted and the non- existent GM that goes out and gets free agents for reasonable prices.

We have recently drafted one of the best young QBs. One of the top 3 WR. The best DT. Arguably the best RT. A stud CB. And two well above average DEs.

I can't argue with the fact we could improve. But injuries and other things come into play. And we are far from being one of the worst teams at drafting. And with our recent success I am no where close to thinking a complete overhaul of the process Marvin and Co. are really starting to figure out needs to happen.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22833

If we draft a QB in the first round, we'll all do a nude flesh pile on Fountain Square at noon on a weekday. That's how positive I am that it won't happen in 2013.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

I like Bray. But I would be pretty mad if we drafted a QB in the first considering we have one of the three guys who have thrown for 20+ TDs in their first two years. The other two being Peyton and Marino.

The second year is supposed to be very rough on young QBs. I think we see a big step from Dalton next year.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18694

Quote:

Sometimes having a traumatic brain injury doesn't seem all that bad.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1558

I agree on one thing. It sounds crazy. Maybe that's because it IS CRAZY!

Dalton needs to improve his game, but drafting that guy in the first would be the height of folly.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23152

Quote:

LMAO ......they will not draft any QB in a round above 4 or 5.

Because you have false concerns about Dalton does not mean the team does. The staff is smart enough to understand he is a second year QB and the pains that go along with it. They I am sure are also aware that he has had 2 first seasons that you just do not see many QBs have. The fans are the ones that have a problem with Dalton not the team as they should not have a problem with him.

Guess it is a good thing Payton did not come here out of college as many would have been for running him out of town after his first 2 seasons.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23152

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Sometimes having a traumatic brain injury doesn't seem all that bad.
I would rep you 1000 times for this if I could just beautiful. I almost choked on my coffee!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29560

If the Bengals draft Tyler Bray in the first round I would seriously consider switching teams.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089

Quote:

Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44853

WTF?