Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise > Hot Topic: Free Agency & Trades

Hot Topic: Free Agency & Trades Discuss all speculation on free agency & trade matters as they pertain to the Bengals. Who would you like for them to sign or deal for? Who are the top free agents available?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25905
bengals Re: Felix Jones would look great in stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
Again, I can't emphasize this enough. He is not a feature back. I am not advocating him coming here to be a feature back, I'm saying to bring him in as a complimentary back. BJGE is our guy to get the bulk of the work. He'll get his 15-20 carries. Jones would be a guy to spell BJGE, and catch a few passes out of the backfield. He has great speed, and a few of those runs that BJGE had last year may have been taken to the end zone by Jones.

actually 1 fumble every 75 touches would equal about 4 a year for a feature back getting 300 carries, or 5 a year for a heavy workload of 375 touches a year. About average, not a fumbling issue at all.

Soft RB as is in he will try to run around the defender instead of over them, and he will take what is there and get out of bounds, but he's not the player to turn it back inside for extra yardage or punish defenders. He's a better receiver than pass blocker, and I would trade the speed and above average receiving skill, for the below average pass blocking, to fill the role the Bengals offense needs. If Bernard Scott was getting the Bengals 615 yards rushing, while averaging 4.5 YPC, and catching 32 passes for another 260-265 yards, 8.4 YPC and 3-4 TD's, no one would care that Bernard Scott can't block. But we haven't got that production from Bernard, and he still can't block either. The numbers are the average for Jones in the past 4 seasons.

I would like to have the Bengals replace Bernard Scott, and still draft a back. Jones is a guy that has produced in limited opportunities, and his role here would continue to be limited. I would feel much better going into next season with a guy like Jones that I know what he's capable of doing and producing, BJGE, and a rookie 2-3 round pick. Than I would with bringing Bernard Scott back, and a rookie to pair with BJGE, or going with BJGE and 2 rookies. Leonard, Peerman and/or Herron are depth and special teams type guys IMO, and shouldn't be looked at as solutions to the RB position. I think Jones offers an upgrade to all of those guys, and wont cost a ton of money.
Personally I do not want to see Benny with the majority of the carries. I applaud what he did last season with the skillset he has but being a feature runner is not his bread and butter. He needs to be coming in for relief and be our tough short yardage and goal line back.

We need to draft someone from the previous list given to be the feature. I would as well love to see us pair a Kenjon Barner, Kerwynn Williams, or Andre Ellington with a drafted feature.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10786

When he's injured (which is a lot.) We will be reverted back to the same running game we had this year.

Why would we want a used FA back over drafting a fresh new RB is beyond me.

Kudos to Bengalholic for the sig
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 319
Default Re: Felix Jones would look great in stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Don't you question missing 6 games in 4 seasons while only being used in a situational role?

You know who I think would look good in stripes? In no particular order:

Eddie Lacy
Giovani Bernard
Christine Michael
Joseph Randle
Mike Gillislee
Johnathan Franklin
Kenjon Barner (in tandem with one of the above)
Kerwynn Williams (in tandem)
Andre Ellington (in tandem)
No, not at all. Why would there be a question for a player that has played in 58 out of 64 regular season games over the past 4 seasons. His situational role would be the same here, so there isn't an increase in injury likelihood based on workload.

I agree with getting a back in the draft. But I think we need more than just 1 back to upgrade the position. I think Jones is a guy that is a known commodity, you kinda know what you're gonna get with him. If the draft pick turns out to be ready for the NFL game and ready and able to out produce Jones game 1, fantastic. If he's not ready, having Jones on the roster to compliment BJGE is a pretty good, and should be a pretty cheap option. He simply fills the role that Bernard Scott was supposed to fill.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
When he's injured (which is a lot.) We will be reverted back to the same running game we had this year.

Why would we want a used FA back over drafting a fresh new RB is beyond me.
He's not injured a lot. He's missed 6 games in the past 4 seasons, and played in ALL 16 games twice in that span.

Why would signing Felix Jones to a 2-3 year deal, that will likely be fairly cheap, prevent the Bengals from ALSO drafting a back in the first 3 rounds?

Used equates to a 25 year old back with 750 career touches? Perhaps I'm missing something. A 3 year deal for Jones to be used in a similar role in Cincinnati would put him at 28 when the contract is up. He's averaged 173 touches the past 4 seasons, so at that pace he would have 520 additional touches over the next 3 seasons. Are 28 year old backs with 1270 career touches really broken down usually?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
No, not at all. Why would there be a question for a player that has played in 58 out of 64 regular season games over the past 4 seasons. His situational role would be the same here, so there isn't an increase in injury likelihood based on workload.

I agree with getting a back in the draft. But I think we need more than just 1 back to upgrade the position. I think Jones is a guy that is a known commodity, you kinda know what you're gonna get with him. If the draft pick turns out to be ready for the NFL game and ready and able to out produce Jones game 1, fantastic. If he's not ready, having Jones on the roster to compliment BJGE is a pretty good, and should be a pretty cheap option. He simply fills the role that Bernard Scott was supposed to fill.
Well what I think some fail to see and what some will not admit to is the actual role Bernard Scott was going to play. IMO they were looking for Bernard to have as many or more carries than Benny. I do not think they intended for Benny to be the actual main man.

We were deficient in '11 when it came to short yardage and redzone scoring. These have been the strengths of Benny. Wiggle, cutback, and open field running are not his best assets which you sort of look for in a feature back. The injury to Bernard was bigger than I think many realize.

I do not think you are understanding the injury reference. He was used in a very limited fashion yet still missed 6 games.

I agree we need more than 1 back that is why you draft one of the guys that can carry a good size load to pair with Benny and then add a Barner or Williams. Did you not read that part?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7973

Quote:
He's not injured a lot. He's missed 6 games in the past 4 seasons, and played in ALL 16 games twice in that span.

Why would signing Felix Jones to a 2-3 year deal, that will likely be fairly cheap, prevent the Bengals from ALSO drafting a back in the first 3 rounds?

Used equates to a 25 year old back with 750 career touches? Perhaps I'm missing something. A 3 year deal for Jones to be used in a similar role in Cincinnati would put him at 28 when the contract is up. He's averaged 173 touches the past 4 seasons, so at that pace he would have 520 additional touches over the next 3 seasons. Are 28 year old backs with 1270 career touches really broken down usually?
He's missed 16 games in his 5 year career.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Oh did somebody leave off an important 1?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10170

Felix Jones isnt that good. Id take a pass on this one.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Well what I think some fail to see and what some will not admit to is the actual role Bernard Scott was going to play. IMO they were looking for Bernard to have as many or more carries than Benny. I do not think they intended for Benny to be the actual main man.

We were deficient in '11 when it came to short yardage and redzone scoring. These have been the strengths of Benny. Wiggle, cutback, and open field running are not his best assets which you sort of look for in a feature back. The injury to Bernard was bigger than I think many realize.

I do not think you are understanding the injury reference. He was used in a very limited fashion yet still missed 6 games.

I agree we need more than 1 back that is why you draft one of the guys that can carry a good size load to pair with Benny and then add a Barner or Williams. Did you not read that part?
Are you suggesting the plan was for Bernard Scott to be the main running back for this past season? If that was indeed the plan, and it didn't happen merely because of injuries to Scott, then the coaches may feel we already have the back we need on the team in Scott.

I understand the injury situation just fine. He wouldn't be asked to carry more of the load here than he did in Dallas. About 175 touches per season.

He's missed exactly 1 FEWER games than Bernard Scott has in his career, and played 5 years to Scott's 4.

Drafting 2 backs and going into next season with 2 rookies, and thus unknowns, I feel is a riskier proposition than going into next season with a BJGE, Jones, and a rookie.

I am all in for drafting a rookie RB. I just don't want 2 rookies in the backfield next season.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10786

Quote:

Why would signing Felix Jones to a 2-3 year deal, that will likely be fairly cheap, prevent the Bengals from ALSO drafting a back
in the first 3 rounds?

He was injured half the season but was only playing because Murray was out and they needed a RB.

We aren't even diving into his performance yet. To sum it up the last time he had a season worth mentioning is 2010. Ask Dallas how they think Jones played.

Kudos to Bengalholic for the sig
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8105

He runs just like BJGE.....and we already have that model.

Throw his way and get the FULL NELSON!!!

MEET MR. INTENSITY!!

Even Gronk don't want none of that!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22557

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
He runs just like BJGE.....and we already have that model.
He is faster than BJGE and probably a better receiver, but I've never been all that impressed with him.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Yes, he missed 10 games his rookie year. The point is he's played in 58 out of a possible 64 reg. season games in the past 4 years. If you or others want to call a hamstring injury from 5 years ago a injury problem when the track record for the past 4 season shows otherwise, there really isn't much to say.

He's played in 91% of his teams games over the past 4 seasons. I don't think the hamstring from 5 years ago seems to be a lingering issue.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you suggesting the plan was for Bernard Scott to be the main running back for this past season? If that was indeed the plan, and it didn't happen merely because of injuries to Scott, then the coaches may feel we already have the back we need on the team in Scott.

I understand the injury situation just fine. He wouldn't be asked to carry more of the load here than he did in Dallas. About 175 touches per season.

He's missed exactly 1 FEWER games than Bernard Scott has in his career, and played 5 years to Scott's 4.

Drafting 2 backs and going into next season with 2 rookies, and thus unknowns, I feel is a riskier proposition than going into next season with a BJGE, Jones, and a rookie.

I am all in for drafting a rookie RB. I just don't want 2 rookies in the backfield next season.
Why don't you want rookie backs? As well, we would still have Benny. RB is probably one of the easiest transitions in the game. You would rather pay the money to bring in a guy that really has no role other than an occasional relief. Hey great money spent.

Apparently Dallas is not real interested in retaining his services. Wonder why that is.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Why don't you want rookie backs? As well, we would still have Benny. RB is probably one of the easiest transitions in the game. You would rather pay the money to bring in a guy that really has no role other than an occasional relief. Hey great money spent.

Apparently Dallas is not real interested in retaining his services. Wonder why that is.
My concern with 2 rookie backs and just BJGE is that we know what we have in BJGE. But if we go with 2 rookies, and thus unknowns, if neither are ready to produce right away, particularly in the passing game we're kinda stuck. With Jones we would have at least a known commodity and know what he's capable of doing. Which despite what some folks may argue, is actually pretty solid work.

If the rookie plays well, and is ready and capable of contributing to the passing game right away, fantastic, all the better. If he's not quite ready for whatever reason, he's learning the playbook, he needs to add strength, adjusting to the speed of the NFL, whatever reason, we would have a back we know can produce in the NFL alongside BJGE.

I haven't seen anything that stated Dallas isn't interested in retaining him, but regardless, there would be reasons for them to move on. They spent a first round pick on him, and he's not worth the pick or the contract they have already paid him. It's unlikely he would accept a major pay cut from the organization without testing the FA market. He is what he is, a complimentary back with a skill set that can help the Bengals offense. He likely won't get a large contract. But it certainly would be smart for him to see if someone is willing to overpay for him again in FA. I don't think he will cost much ultimately, hence another good fit. If he is looking for big money, and some other team offers starter money for him, I would definitely say no. He seems like a Bengals type of signing, if the money is right around where I expect it to be.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1898

Felix already looked like he lost a step this season. He may have been playing hurt but who is to say it's not going to slow him down next year too.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2225
Default Felix Jones

I heard that FJ has been in talks with Cincy.

Sorry no link just heard about it on 1530 radio.

I think FJ and Law-Firm would be a nice 1-2 combo.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 428
Default Re: Felix Jones

Felix Jones is not an upgrade. Pass.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 148

If he comes cheap I guess I wouldn't mind. The guy is brittle so maybe a 50/50 split BJGE would be a good for him.

I would still like Cincy to draft a running back even if they signed Felix because they need to get younger instead of older.

Overall I'd be Meh with the signing
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5057

I'd take him as a change of pace/KR for 2yrs - 3 mill.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1981

I would think Felix Jones would be a huge upgrade to B.Scott.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy <3's Da Bengals View Post
I would think Felix Jones would be a huge upgrade to B.Scott.
You're a huge upgrade to Bernard Scott.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

What's the story on Jones? He's had a healthy average for his entire career minus last season?

In a RBBC he'd be ok. He's good for 100-150 carries. Jones has decent receiving stats catching 48 passes one year.

I'd prefer an Ahmad Bradshaw though.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10037

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer1 View Post
You're a huge upgrade to Bernard Scott.

I saw Scott in Remkes last year while he was still on IR...I couldn't believe how skinny his lower legs were, big upper body running on toothpicks.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post

I saw Scott in Remkes last year while he was still on IR...I couldn't believe how skinny his lower legs were, big upper body running on toothpicks.
His career is likely over now. He just didn't have the talent to stick. Shoulda been over years ago,.