Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14155
Default Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
You sign Rey to a 1 year deal until you are sure you have an adaquate replacement.
a warm body would be more than an adaquate replacement for Rey...

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51984

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanHero View Post
Dunno about Rivers, but according to urban legend, Maualuga was Marvin's call.
Rivers was most likely a Mike Brown pick. I remember Marvin not looking too happy in the post pick press conference. Rumors were flying that he wanted to trade up and get Dorsey or Ellis because of our need at DT. Mike was content on just sitting there. Rivers was just BPA at that point, but that 08 draft was just awful overall.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Nebraska football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-254
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 22228

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
You sign Rey to a 1 year deal until you are sure you have an adaquate replacement.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find one in free agency or the draft. Personally I hope they cut him as soon as they are able to so that will be forced to find an upgrade. Otherwise if not, they won't feel the need to while he is on the roster.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2318

Do what Donald Trump would do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FIRE HIM!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: -16
bengals Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
Rey was awarded Defensive Team Captain this season. That means a lot. How does one get awarded Captain and then released the next season? You have to predict at this point in time that Rey will be resigned this off season and be our starting MLB going into next year. I see no way that he gets awarded Captain and then Marvin allowing him to walk.

What does this mean for Burfict? Does he stay at WLB? If so, do we resign Howard? Howard was our best LB last season and should be playing WLB IMO. Does moving Burfict to SAM make any sense at all? That is the only solution that I see in which Howard makes it back on the field with Burfict.

I just canít imagine Maualuga not returning and being our starting MLB for the next 4 years after he was given the Captain title. Please tell me I am wrong!!!
Thats an interesting dilemma for the Bengals.I have Burfict in the middle and Howard coming back strong in his regular spot.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: -16

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren930 View Post
Thats an interesting dilemma for the Bengals.I have Burfict in the middle and Howard coming back strong in his regular spot.
While you are releasing Rey, how about letting Geathers go. Here are some very interesting salary numbers.
Geathers 6 yr/33,750,000 salary.
Dunlap 4 yr/3,659,000
Atkins 4yr/2,262,450 (Back to Back Pro Bowls)

Im still trying to figure out why Geathers was starting over Dunlap. I believe it was salary not ability.
Dont let Dunlap or Atkins get away like J Joe did.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2170
Default Re: The madness has to stop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
All I can say is Mike Zimmer kept him as the starting MLB and he was made a captain. So, I guess you are calling Zimmer an idiot.

Great post.
I call it a last gasp motivational tactic.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1878
bengals Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
For all we know, the coaches may think we HAVE an adequate replacement on the roster. You're making the assumption that we do not. The coaches may disagree. The bottom line is that we need to wait and see. But 10 pages of pure specualtion is more fun I suppose.
LADIES AND GENTS, I see our wonderful coaching staff giving rey rey another start to training camp unless they are already working on finding him a home with some options for us. A perfect fit for him would be seattle, where his old college coach may get more out of him. If he is our starting dude again this upcoming season, i see us struggling again in the middle with fast running backs and tightends over the middle.I hope some of the moves we been seeing and hearing about drafting a LB early in this draft is a message we are going to at best keep him for a backup.If we have no offers to trade him or someone willing to pick up his remaining contract, I see him staying here and being used as a backup.I think he would be okay with that as he knows everyone is down on his play as we should be.He is not 1st round talent at this stage of his career.Just my thoughts of course.I welcome yours as we are all wanting the same thing and thats a superbowl winner.By the way, i am so pulling for the niners to hammer the dirtybirds, but i have a feeling the dirtybirds will win this one.hope not.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1878
bengals Re: Goodbye Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
Soooo you like him about 2% of the time......
Hey crisby,that was funny man, the 2% comment.All you guys are funny and also have some good stuff on here.Keep it coming. Its all fun. All of us want the same thing and thats a winner we can be proud of and can wear our colors everywhere we go. Thats all we are asking for.A BENGAL NATION WE CAN LOVE AND RESPECT.I wear my colors no matter what others say. I just give them the finger and laugh. I really love the attention, you know,especially from all the browns fans around here.Its all good to me.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
LADIES AND GENTS, I see our wonderful coaching staff giving rey rey another start to training camp unless they are already working on finding him a home with some options for us. A perfect fit for him would be seattle, where his old college coach may get more out of him. If he is our starting dude again this upcoming season, i see us struggling again in the middle with fast running backs and tightends over the middle.I hope some of the moves we been seeing and hearing about drafting a LB early in this draft is a message we are going to at best keep him for a backup.If we have no offers to trade him or someone willing to pick up his remaining contract, I see him staying here and being used as a backup.I think he would be okay with that as he knows everyone is down on his play as we should be.He is not 1st round talent at this stage of his career.Just my thoughts of course.I welcome yours as we are all wanting the same thing and thats a superbowl winner.By the way, i am so pulling for the niners to hammer the dirtybirds, but i have a feeling the dirtybirds will win this one.hope not.
Forty,, they can't trade him, he's a free agent. He no longer has a contract with the Bengals. When free agency starts he can sign with who ever offers him the most money.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1787

Nothing we didn't already know, not sure if this has been posted. Pretty pathetic when you see it in black and white.

Rey Maualuga isn’t sure the Cincinnati Bengals see him in their future plans and while some of that is thanks to the emergence of Vontze Burfict, it’s more about his mental stability.
If Maualuga plans on staying he needs to focus less on what fans and media say about him.

According to Pro Football Focus, of the 35 inside linebackers who played 50 percent or more of their team’s snaps, Maualuga graded the worst. He was the worst in pass coverage, 26th against the run and second worst in effect that his penalties had on the defense. His 16 missed tackles tied for fifth worst.

In their grading, 12 of the 17 games had a grade worse than negative one. None graded as a positive one or better. In the PFF grading, anything above a one is above average and anything below a one is below average.

According to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Maualuga isn’t sure the Bengals see him in their future plans.
Despite playing all 16 games for the Bengals and having his most productive tackling season of his career (122 tackles on the season), Maualuga experienced difficult in pass coverage and had his share of missed tackles as well.

“I felt as if the playoff game (against Houston) was sort of like, if I perform well they would want me. I don’t know if they want me, but I do know I didn’t perform well,” Maualuga said. “…I really don’t know if they want me back.”

Maualuga will be an unrestricted free agent and odds are he won’t be re-signing with the Bengals.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...nnati/12802507

Last edited by Atomic Orange; 02-01-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 813 View Post
When free agency starts he can sign with who ever offers him the most money.
The bidding war between the Cincinnati Commandos and NKY River Monsters will be fierce.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7925

One would hope that having your opponent in the playoffs specifically game plan to attack Maualuga because they know he is a total liability in coverage would finally get Marvin and Mike to understand that we need better options.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
Rey was awarded Defensive Team Captain this season. That means a lot. How does one get awarded Captain and then released the next season? You have to predict at this point in time that Rey will be resigned this off season and be our starting MLB going into next year. I see no way that he gets awarded Captain and then Marvin allowing him to walk.

What does this mean for Burfict? Does he stay at WLB? If so, do we resign Howard? Howard was our best LB last season and should be playing WLB IMO. Does moving Burfict to SAM make any sense at all? That is the only solution that I see in which Howard makes it back on the field with Burfict.

I just canít imagine Maualuga not returning and being our starting MLB for the next 4 years after he was given the Captain title. Please tell me I am wrong!!!
Did you watch Rey play at all this season? Are you oblivious to how awful he is? They gave him the C to try and motivate him to play better, but that didnt work.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4187

Didnt see the point creating a new thread about Rey, but here is some more info on him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-linebackers/

He was second worst Linebacker in the entire NFL at allowing first downs and TD's.

35 First downs and 2 TD's. He was beaten 6.89% of the time.

London Fletcher was #1 with 33 First downs and 5 TD's.

PS. Would also like to point out that Nick Roach for the Bears gave up a combined total of 9 First downs and TD's on 331 snaps as a SLB. He is a free agent.

Last edited by Synric; 02-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34558

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Didnt see the point creating a new thread about Rey, but here is some more info on him.

He was second worst Linebacker in the entire NFL at allowing first downs and TD's.

PS. Would also like to point out that Nick Roach for the Bears gave up a combined total of 9 First downs and TD's on 331 snaps as a SLB. He is a free agent.
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. He is 37 years old though.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2012

Rey was bad. Lawson was worse. burfict howard. we need another linebacker. Rey is bad hes not as bad as statistics suggest. he had an awful end of the season and a bad beginning. He was ok games 5 - 12. Lawson didnt have a decent game all season. Skuta played worse than any linebacker the limited snaps he played.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38259

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post

PFF claims to know more than they possibly could. Ijs. But yes, Rey stinks.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
The bidding war between the Cincinnati Commandos and NKY River Monsters will be fierce.
Haha. Don't leave out our AAA affiliate, the Orlando Tuskers.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Rey was bad. Lawson was worse. burfict howard. we need another linebacker. Rey is bad hes not as bad as statistics suggest. he had an awful end of the season and a bad beginning. He was ok games 5 - 12. Lawson didnt have a decent game all season. Skuta played worse than any linebacker the limited snaps he played.
Stats actually say he did well until you look closely at them. 62 solo tackles in a season. Hell ray Lewis (deer boy) had 57 solo before his injury and missed a bunch of games.