Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76
Default Stubbs trade?

Just wanting others views on this trade. I don't even know the players name from Cleveland, but lets call him Hee Sho Chow, because they both the same, one good season and thats all, for stubbs was stubbs really worth this guy or should we have tried something else, I know quite a few AL teams were interested in Stubbs, now why couldn't we get someone else, hell Coco Crisp would of made me happier and well thats where I put the guy from Cleveland!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: Stubbs trade?

First off, his name is Shin Soo Choo.

Stubbs was given plenty of oppurtunities to succeed within the Reds organization. He had all the tools (Speed, Defense, Power, Arm) to be a great player. He was just not capable of putting it all together. His job was to get on base and he lacked vision and contact to put the ball in play. With his speed, he shouldnt have any problem getting on. He had no approach when he stepped into the batters box. He was becoming an automatic out everytime he went to the plate.

The deal worked out perfectly for the Reds. Choo has a very good On Base Percentage but also adds some pop with his bat. He has always hit very well in GABP. He will get on base at the top of the order or has the potential to knock one over the fence. The only thing about Choo, is his defense is suspect. They are going to struggle with their CF position. Do they put Bruce in CF? Or Choo? Bruce is a much better defender who reads the ball well off the bat and gets great jumps. Has a cannon for an arm. Choo would be better suited for RF and Bruce in CF.

Choo's contract has one year remaining, which means, we can let him walk and bring up our #1 prospect in Billy Hamilton to take over CF and the leadoff position before next year, possibly the end of this year when the roster expands in September.

It was a good trade for the Reds. They get the Leadoff guy they need to get on base in front of Votto to boulster their offense as well as leaving their Pitching staff intact.

Choo RF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Ludwick LF
Bruce CF
Frazier 3B
Cozart SS
Hanigan / Mesoraco C
Pitcher

Thats a pretty solid lineup. Makes this team much stronger then they were last year. There is no reason they shouldnt take the Division by storm this year and make an impact in the playoffs, barring injuries. Last year, outside of Votto, this team stayed pretty healthy. Chapman moving to the rotation is a cause for concern, because he will not be able to throw the heater (100+ mph) with every pitch and will likely run into arm trouble, but that is a discussion for another day.

I love the Reds and pitchers and catchers report in 2 weeks. Cant wait. Nothing better then baseball season. Greenest grass youll ever see and their is no sweeter sound this a white ball getting smacked by some nice wood!!! GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE GUTTERS

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member

I see what ya saying, I would of rather seen use get a pierre, still speedy as hell, still hits around 300 however someone better be wishing or praying for that guy to knock one out of the park, unless he's at Astros park and it gets in the centerfield wall.
But shin hit below 250 last year, I think he was a one year player! So for once I do think Cleveland won, im just wondering whos going to get Sizemore, cuz didn't they release him after the trade? Also why I say that is Cleveland is know to loss trades(colon was one). C.c. I believe was a good one.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPhilsTime View Post
Just wanting others views on this trade. I don't even know the players name from Cleveland, but lets call him Hee Sho Chow, because they both the same, one good season and thats all, for stubbs was stubbs really worth this guy or should we have tried something else, I know quite a few AL teams were interested in Stubbs, now why couldn't we get someone else, hell Coco Crisp would of made me happier and well thats where I put the guy from Cleveland!
im excited to see what choo will bring us.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
im excited to see what choo will bring us.
Yah, but I don't expect much. As long as we don't do a trade for arod ill be ok lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1104

Quote:
I see what ya saying, I would of rather seen use get a pierre, still speedy as hell, still hits around 300 however someone better be wishing or praying for that guy to knock one out of the park, unless he's at Astros park and it gets in the centerfield wall.
But shin hit below 250 last year, I think he was a one year player! So for once I do think Cleveland won, im just wondering whos going to get Sizemore, cuz didn't they release him after the trade? Also why I say that is Cleveland is know to loss trades(colon was one). C.c. I believe was a good one.
I don't think you're looking at the right player. He was injured a good deal of 2011 and hit around .260. Other than that, his average has been around .290-.300 with an OBP around .400
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
I don't think you're looking at the right player. He was injured a good deal of 2011 and hit around .260. Other than that, his average has been around .290-.300 with an OBP around .400
Last year he started off bad, don't know exactly how he ended, but I know he had a few injuries. But his first full season was the one were he hit real good like 320 but last year his average was low, he didn't hit many homers. But I don't really care for him cuz I think he had his year and that's all he had! Yes he did have seasons before 10-11 season with other teams and hit around or above 300, which I believe is why he was a rookie that year. But I do understand trading Stubbs while he's still young so you can get something out of him. However I do think they should of picked an older vet with more then 1 good year! I know there was talk about Juan Pierre and he still has legs but his arm is well terrible! His career average is I believe over 300 but he hasn't had many seasons under 290 and hasn't had a season with a very low average since he was with the rockies. He lead the Marlins in on base percentage for like 2 years. However the reds last pure speed guy(Tavares) didn't work out well, coming from Houston in last two seasons with Houston was in the run for the batting title hitting like 325 but coming to cincy, well his first season, only season with the reds, he hit .01 lol, yea horrible, he didn't get his first hit for like their 7th or 8th game, then found himself in the minors.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1104

Quote:
Last year he started off bad, don't know exactly how he ended, but I know he had a few injuries. But his first full season was the one were he hit real good like 320 but last year his average was low, he didn't hit many homers. But I don't really care for him cuz I think he had his year and that's all he had! Yes he did have seasons before 10-11 season with other teams and hit around or above 300, which I believe is why he was a rookie that year. But I do understand trading Stubbs while he's still young so you can get something out of him. However I do think they should of picked an older vet with more then 1 good year! I know there was talk about Juan Pierre and he still has legs but his arm is well terrible! His career average is I believe over 300 but he hasn't had many seasons under 290 and hasn't had a season with a very low average since he was with the rockies. He lead the Marlins in on base percentage for like 2 years. However the reds last pure speed guy(Tavares) didn't work out well, coming from Houston in last two seasons with Houston was in the run for the batting title hitting like 325 but coming to cincy, well his first season, only season with the reds, he hit .01 lol, yea horrible, he didn't get his first hit for like their 7th or 8th game, then found himself in the minors.
Here's a link to Choo's stats, he's had more than one good year: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...choosh01.shtml

While you're at it, look up Pierre's numbers. He's hit below .280 the past couple of seasons and hits with absolutely no power; he's had about 45 doubles the past three seasons, Choo had 43 last year alone. The only thing Pierre does better is steal bases.