Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26826
Default Re: Here Is Why Bengals Need A WR With A Top Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm226 View Post
If we trade our 1st and both 2nds and move up to the top 10 we can prolly get DeAndre Hopkins. Then a couble of RB's and maybe a S in the 3rd on down. If this team does FA the way they should this draft can be about just a few skill positions.
The fact that you make this statement makes me wonder if you've been watching the Bengals drafts over the last 10 years.

Why make a statement like this that has no chance whatsoever of happening. Deal with reality not fantasy.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post
i agree we have to dev sanu, etc. but another higher pick to add in the mix would not be a bad idea.

However.... only if a stud fell to us.... thats how i would handle it.
Using that kind of thinking, why not draft Matt Barkley in Rd 1 to improve our QB situation? We have to address areas that are WEAK, not areas that are strong But not super strong. WE must draft LBers, S and RB before we even think about WR position.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
The fact that you make this statement makes me wonder if you've been watching the Bengals drafts over the last 10 years.

Why make a statement like this that has no chance whatsoever of happening. Deal with reality not fantasy.
Agreed! This team signs 4th and 5th tier free agents and always as. There will be no big name free agent signees.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19797

Bengals do not need another young WR that will take a year to develop and contribute. They need a vet who can help from day one and will give stability to an inexperienced group of WRs.

Draft other areas where rookies have, historically, had more of an impact on average, like linebacker, safety, or RB. It would be a waste to burn any of the top three picks on a WR unless some ridiculous value player fell into the Bengals laps.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19876
bengals Re: Here Is Why Bengals Need A WR With A Top Pick

Of the WRs listed as 1or 2 on NFL depth charts (tried to take out injury replacements with insignificant snaps) it breaks down as follows:

19 - 1st RD selections
Of those 19 .....11 were bottom half of RD 1

45 starters were not 1st RD selections

13 were 2nd RD selections

32 were 3rd Rd or lower with 8 of the 32 being UDFAs
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I am with you. Even if they did draft a WR many of the same would be on here next season lobbying for another one while the one we drafted this season is developing.
Exactly!!! 95% of the time you draft a WR your not gonna see immediate impact thus every year if your not willing to invest time to develop the WR then every year you are going to want a new WR in the draft, unless you strike gold with an AJ green or megatron....
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Why no more talk about the must have 1st RD wide receiver?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2038

Quote:
Why no more talk about the must have 1st RD wide receiver?
Hey Guys. Lets post the same thing in 3 different threads.

Last edited by BobJones4980; 01-30-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18733

If the right guy (Allen, Patterson, or Hopkins) falls to us, we'll take him. Otherwise, we'll pick no WR until the 4th round or later.

Can you imagine though?

1. Allen, Patterson, or Hopkins
2a. Bernard or Lacy
2b. Kahseem Greene, Arthur Brown, or Chase Thomas
3. Rambo, P. Thomas, or T. Jefferson
4. Gerald Hodges or Sean Porter

Those 4 rounds would make us a much better team already. Add K. Williams in the sixth, and it would be a terrific draft for us.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 869

Rather take one in the 2nd round. Markus Wheaton. Marquise Goodwin. DaRick Rodgers. Better value, and can address LB/S in the 1st.

Personally, I think Marvin Jones made some progress late in the year. He has speed, runs good routes, and decent hands. Is he a No. 2 right now? More like 3A/3B/3C with Sanu and Hawkins, but each is an upgrade over Binns/Tate/Whalen. Drafting a quality guy in the 2nd would allow Cincy to kick Tate or Whalen to the curb, where they belong.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
Rather take one in the 2nd round. Markus Wheaton. Marquise Goodwin. DaRick Rodgers. Better value, and can address LB/S in the 1st.

Personally, I think Marvin Jones made some progress late in the year. He has speed, runs good routes, and decent hands. Is he a No. 2 right now? More like 3A/3B/3C with Sanu and Hawkins, but each is an upgrade over Binns/Tate/Whalen. Drafting a quality guy in the 2nd would allow Cincy to kick Tate or Whalen to the curb, where they belong.
The issue with this is that we would still be stuck with a bunch of 3-4 guys who need to develop. I hope no doubts that Sanu or Jones can be awesome down the road, but we need production now. If there is a first rounder how can give us that, take him. If there is an FA that can do that, take him, but Sanu and Jones are not the guys to take over just yet. Jones looked weak late in the season so to expect hom to be above average in this season is overly optimistic. Sanu is getting an insane amount of hype, but the guy never had more than 47 yards in a game. Even with the expected improvement out of these guys, they are still not good enough to take any pressure off of AJ. This is the exact same thing as saying, "Why should we get a new receiver this year? Caldwell and Simpson are waiting in the wings. It would only deter their HOF careers."

EDIT: Also this post was not directed at you t3r3e3.

Last edited by MrRager; 01-31-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
The issue with this is that we would still be stuck with a bunch of 3-4 guys who need to develop. I hope no doubts that Sanu or Jones can be awesome down the road, but we need production now. If there is a first rounder how can give us that, take him. If there is an FA that can do that, take him, but Sanu and Jones are not the guys to take over just yet. Jones looked weak late in the season so to expect hom to be above average in this season is overly optimistic. Sanu is getting an insane amount of hype, but the guy never had more than 47 yards in a game. Even with the expected improvement out of these guys, they are still not good enough to take any pressure off of AJ. This is the exact same thing as saying, "Why should we get a new receiver this year? Caldwell and Simpson are waiting in the wings. It would only deter their HOF careers."

EDIT: Also this post was not directed at you t3r3e3.
Its cool. My point was that you can get a quality # 2 in the 2nd, even 3rd, and still upgrade positions that are glaring needs (S/LB/RB/interior OL). The consensus top 2-3 WR's to me are not any better than the 5 or 6 guys below them. This is not an AJ/Julio type of WR crop. Value can be had a little later. You won't get an Ogletree/Lacy/top OG a little later, though.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9482

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
Its cool. My point was that you can get a quality # 2 in the 2nd, even 3rd, and still upgrade positions that are glaring needs (S/LB/RB/interior OL). The consensus top 2-3 WR's to me are not any better than the 5 or 6 guys below them. This is not an AJ/Julio type of WR crop. Value can be had a little later. You won't get an Ogletree/Lacy/top OG a little later, though.
The WR class is very close this year with not much top talent. I agree that if we draft it should be in the middle rounds. But then again that leaves us in the same position we are in this year.

I think we should go for a free agent this year as a stop gap while Sanu and Jones continue to develop.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18143

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
The WR class is very close this year with not much top talent. I agree that if we draft it should be in the middle rounds. But then again that leaves us in the same position we are in this year.

I think we should go for a free agent this year as a stop gap while Sanu and Jones continue to develop.
Those veteran stop gaps have helped us so much in the past.

Coles, TO, Bryant.

Let's give it another go with Donald Driver.

Then ignore WR in the draft :)

4-24-13
1. Cordarelle Patterson WR UT
2a. D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
2b. Le'veon Bell RB MSU
3. Jamie Collins OLB Southern Missippi
4. Reid Fragel OT Ohio State
5. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6. William Gholston DE MSU
6. Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH)
7. Nick Clancy MLB Boston College
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9482

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Those veteran stop gaps have helped us so much in the past.

Coles, TO, Bryant.

Let's give it another go with Donald Driver.

Then ignore WR in the draft :)
We never had a true stop gap. Bryant didn't make it to training camp and Coles and TO weren't stop gaps because we didn't have any talent to develop.

If we went out and got a Greg Jennings or someone of that nature who is older but can still play, that is a big difference.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Bengals do not need another young WR that will take a year to develop and contribute. They need a vet who can help from day one and will give stability to an inexperienced group of WRs.

Draft other areas where rookies have, historically, had more of an impact on average, like linebacker, safety, or RB. It would be a waste to burn any of the top three picks on a WR unless some ridiculous value player fell into the Bengals laps.
yes i agree drafting another reciever would be dumb as hell
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3525

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonist7 View Post
yes i agree drafting another reciever would be dumb as hell
AGREED!! We have other more immidiate concerns.

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
AGREED!! We have other more immidiate concerns.
What more immediate concerns do we have then replacing the worst starter (#2 WR) on one of the lower ranked offenses in the NFL?

Sure, we need to grab a linebacker or 2, but to say that we have more immediate concerns is a little bit of a stretch. IF you are going to develop Dalton properly, you need to give him the tools to succeed. Right now, we haven't done that with the WR corps.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
What more immediate concerns do we have then replacing the worst starter (#2 WR) on one of the lower ranked offenses in the NFL?

Sure, we need to grab a linebacker or 2, but to say that we have more immediate concerns is a little bit of a stretch. IF you are going to develop Dalton properly, you need to give him the tools to succeed. Right now, we haven't done that with the WR corps.
While everyone is up in arms about WR I have to wonder if they consider a legitimate running game as a tool for the offense. A legit running game improves your passing game. At some point you have to commit to guys you draft. Sanu and Jones can be legit options for this offense next to Green one way to help them develop is a running game that defenses worry about.