Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381
Default AJ admits being frustrated over Texans gameplan

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Green-hopes-to-use-Pro-Bowl-to-launch-into-13/256f3ebd-bc16-4014-b2fa-5eb38d937767

Well, this answers a lot of people's questions, and places a little less blame on the back of Andy Dalton.

Gruden focusing on the Gresham matchup and not involving his best player in the entire first half? Makes about as much sense as going to Ryan Whalen over AJ continuously in the 2nd half of the first Pitt game this year.

Last edited by Bengals_Moderator; 02-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5305
Default Re: AJ admits being frustrated over Texans gameplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Green-hopes-to-use-Pro-Bowl-to-launch-into-13/256f3ebd-bc16-4014-b2fa-5eb38d937767

Well, this answers a lot of people's questions, and places a little less blame on the back of Andy Dalton.

Gruden focusing on the Gresham matchup and not involving his best player in the entire first half? Makes about as much sense as going to Ryan Whalen over AJ continuously in the 2nd half of the first Pitt game this year.
It was known a while back this was the plan, but it is interesting to see AJ for the first time commenting about not getting the ball. Had Gresham caught a few of those balls this story may be different though.

Last edited by Bengals_Moderator; 02-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
It was known a while back this was the plan, but it is interesting to see AJ for the first time commenting about not getting the ball. Had Gresham caught a few of those balls this story may be different though.
The story may also have been different if Andy would've hit AJ on that last deep ball. Fact remains it's just plain stupid to not utilize one of the best weapons in the NFL to try to over-utilize one of the streakiest TEs in the NFL.

Last edited by RedBengal9; 02-01-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18625

Hell, he should have been!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20186

My advice on this topic--turn the page.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

Sounded like he was more frustrated over the fact that Gresham got the targets and couldnt make any plays. Green knows that he was being doubled for most of the first half and that if Gresham could have capitalized on his matchup it would have opened him up more.

Gresham is an issue that must be fixed on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: AJ admits being frustrated over Texans gameplan

Its over, lets hope it is different this year.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6018

As well he should.....but its old news...so lets fix whats broke and beat the snail grease out of them next time.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18963

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Sounded like he was more frustrated over the fact that Gresham got the targets and couldnt make any plays. Green knows that he was being doubled for most of the first half and that if Gresham could have capitalized on his matchup it would have opened him up more.

Agree ! Greshan should start at the very bottom of the depth chart and have to earn his way back on the team.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 294

he should be mad. our plan going in was stupid as all hell. AJ knows how good he is and what he brings to this team. to intentionally not throw him the ball is the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

but this is old news so its time ti fix what's broken and focus on next year. so far its been 9-7 and 10-6, so here's to 11-5 and a seed that isn't the number 6 this time around.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34068

Quote:

Well with the Texans banged up @ LBer using the TE was a good idea..

To bad our TE wasnt able to catch any damn thing that game.

but year bad game plan if we are using a TE attack have 2 of them on the field and use both.

Or have AJ attack the middle

Last edited by Bengals_Moderator; 02-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
The story may also have been different if Andy would've hit AJ on that last deep ball. Fact remains it's just plain stupid to not utilize one of the best weapons in the NFL to try to over-utilize one of the streakiest TEs in the NFL.
too bad Andy over threw him , or was it AJ not running hard enough? if its an over throwing issue, people should stop beotching about his arm strength.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post

Totally agree. I guess I just don't understand Gresham. I remember his draft year all the scouting reports say he's an awesome reciever but the dude has a lot of big time drops.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...-gresham_N.htm

"He's unquestionably the best tight end in the draft," NFL Network analyst Charles Davis said. "No one has the same combination of receiving skills, potential to be a great blocker and ability to run.

This seems to be a little false now. Especially with Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Hernandez, Pitta seem to have better receiving skills than Gresh and all drafted after him. But if we didn't draft Gresh, we probably would've gotten Dez Bryant and that would mean we probably would've draft A.J. Green the next year.

I hope he trains with Green and the rest of the WR's this offseason.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23772
bengals Re: AJ admits being frustrated over Texans gameplan

Quote:

Seriously....they ran 15 offensive plays in the first half and one was a kneel down. People make it seem as if there were 85 plays ran without targeting Green. Not too mention that earlier in the season many were griping that Dalton went to Green too much and did not spread the ball around enough.

Last edited by Bengals_Moderator; 02-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8293

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Seriously....they ran 15 offensive plays in the first half and one was a kneel down. People make it seem as if there were 85 plays ran without targeting Green. Not too mention that earlier in the season many were griping that Dalton went to Green too much and did not spread the ball around enough.
Seriously, it's a do or die game and they didnt target the best WR in the AFC until the second half.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 160

Isn't it possible that AJ was the primary target on some of the 1st half plays and was simply covered and Dalton went elsewhere?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19003

***** that he's frustrated but it's good that he's not ****** and calling people out like a little ***** diva.

He's 100% right that the game plan was terrible, or at least should have been modified when it wasn't working. Even if Gruden doesn't abandon the gameplan, he can still call a few plays that are designed towards AJ.

When you have one of the best receivers in the game, you call plays to get him involved and to keep the defense honest.

Even if the defense was still focusing on him, even when we weren't looking at him, he's a hell of a receiver that can make plays even when being double covered or just extra focused on. AJ's 6'4 and Houston's corners are all 5'11 or under and the free safety that would likely be over him is only 6'0, so, if nothing else, throw him a damn jump ball.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
too bad Andy over threw him , or was it AJ not running hard enough? if its an over throwing issue, people should stop beotching about his arm strength.
You do realize, that just because you overthrow someone, it doesn't mean you have a strong arm..

As to the OP I thought AJ was very gracious in his comments.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2051

Well I guess this will appease those who want us to get more out of our TE's (im one of them lol). We go for Gresh all half, and we get what, 6 passing yards? Called for Gresh to step up and make plays and it didnt happen. Bit worrying considering how good he's meant to be (and fwiw, im in the corner of thinking he's decent and wishing we used him a bit more).

What kinda gameplan involves not targeting our best WR at least ONCE in our biggest game of the season? I get trying to catch them by surprise of whatever, but that is just dumb.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8703

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCincinnatiKid View Post
Well I guess this will appease those who want us to get more out of our TE's (im one of them lol). We go for Gresh all half, and we get what, 6 passing yards? Called for Gresh to step up and make plays and it didnt happen. Bit worrying considering how good he's meant to be (and fwiw, im in the corner of thinking he's decent and wishing we used him a bit more).

What kinda gameplan involves not targeting our best WR at least ONCE in our biggest game of the season? I get trying to catch them by surprise of whatever, but that is just dumb.
Gresham will have a couple GREAT games during a season. He'l have about 8 average ones. He'll have about 6 below average to really bad ones.

The playoff game was a really bad one.

We need to get a WR here so Gresham becomes the 3rd option on offense.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19003

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Gresham will have a couple GREAT games during a season. He'l have about 8 average ones. He'll have about 6 below average to really bad ones.

I think we have one in Sanu (and I think Jones will keep developing).

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyche'sWarrior View Post
Hell, he should have been!
I agree! If this is true and he was putting the teams playoff hopes in ole butter fingers hands then I have serious concerns going into next season.
Sort of makes me wish that he would have taken a job elsewhere.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 02-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
If he targets Green once or twice we probably get to run more than 15 plays.

I really don't mind looking to the TE spot with the cover 2 they were running, but to think that RB screens were going to be more effective than almost anything else in our playbook was a big "what the heck?", in my mind.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post

Exactly. I mean I do have faith in Gresh and I am someone who wanted us to utilise him more. But facts are facts, we gave him a helluva shot to showcase himself in the playoff game and he was awful. Now he's not that bad, but we need to be able to count on him when we go his way.

And I get that we ran 15 plays in the first half. But that's our biggest game of the season and we're not involving our best players. Gotta do better than that, even if its a couple of end arounds.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1594

I thought Green was gracious in his comments, too, but I'm glad to have it confirmed how frustrated he was with the plan.

Marvin's answer would be "Well, it's very hard for someone outside the coaching inner circle to understand what we were doing."

Well, that's the truth, isn't it?

Anyway here's my philosophy: If you've got a cannon, shoot it!