Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499
Default Re: Wide Receivers: On the Move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Has zero to do with OSU as he plays for the Miami Dolphins. Has everything to do with the fact that he would be a better addition to our roster than anyone on that deadbeat list you posted.
I'd much rather have Harvin, Washington, Maclin, Heyward-Bey, Roberts, Boldin, Young, + even the potential of Benn (who has 5 tds to Hartline's 3 since he entered the league back in '10)

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-01-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 37905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
I'd much rather have Harvin, Washington, Maclin, Heyward-Bey, Roberts, Boldin, Young, + the potential of Benn (who has 5 tds to Hartline's 3 since he entered the league in '10)
Boldin has a few more years, I'd love that kind of guy on the team. He's tough as nails, always has been.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27388

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Boldin has a few more years, I'd love that kind of guy on the team. He's tough as nails, always has been.
Hes starting to lose a step but still is a good pro... We have his type of WR with Sanu though,.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Jeremy Maclin is 24 dude.
DHB>Maclin

Both could be had for about the same price

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27388

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I like the way the team has been drafting in recent years. That momentum needs to keep rolling.

I'm fearing that Miles Austin may never get back to where he once was, as nagging injuries seem to continue hampering him. Wes Welker may be fools gold to any team that does not have Brady or Peyton Manning as their QB, just my opinion of course.
IDK I wouldnt put the success of welker on the QB... Most of his yardage is after the catch. Dude makes people miss... which is probly has more to do with play design than tom bradys skill.

But i guess if we cant get Hawkins in space we probly couldnt get welker there either.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39892

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post

But i guess if we cant get Hawkins in space we probly couldnt get welker there either.

That is pretty much what I was getting at. The "read and call" aces like Brady and Manning are getting fewer in today's NFL. Welker is a shining example of what people refer to as a "product of the system" type of player. Not to take anything away from Wes, he plays hard. But, they could find another reciever with similar skills to his for a fraction of what he would command by staying on the Pats roster.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

www.nepatriotsdraft.com has a pretty good break down of the main WR free agents this year. Its viewed from the point of view of the patriots, but the info on each is still good.

Quote:
WR Danny Amendola, Rams

Amendola isn’t the biggest or fastest wide receiver, but his savvy route running could make him a younger, cheaper alternative to impending free agent Wes Welker, a fellow Texas Tech alum. While he is not quite as quick as Welker (10.6 yards per reception and an average of 4.1 gained after the catch compared to Welker’s 12.0 and 6.0), Amendola caught an impressive 66.3% of passes thrown towards him with just two drops on the season (Welker caught 70.2% but dropped a league-leading nineteen passes.) One cause for concern is Amendola’s injury history, which included a broken collarbone this season.

The 27 year-old Amendola is six years younger than Welker; he makes a lot of sense considering New England’s recent youth movement, as well as the money they already have tied up in Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Brandon Lloyd.

WR Donnie Avery, Colts

The St. Louis Rams shocked many onlookers back in 2008 when they made Donnie Avery the top wide receiver selected in his draft class; the Rams were evidently blown away by Avery’s combination of collegiate production and incomprehensible Pro Day results (4.27 in the 40-yard dash, 3.91 seconds in the short shuttle, 6.3 seconds in the cone drill, 37.5″ vertical.)

In 2008 and 2009, Avery was productive, averaging 50 catches and over 600 yards per season; however, his career was eventually threatened by a devastating knee injury suffered against New England during the 2010 preseason. The injury took essentially two seasons to recover from (he caught just three passes in 2011), but Avery rebounded by catching 62 passes this season for 793 yards (including playoffs.)

Avery’s speed could potentially help New England enhance their downfield passing game; however, he is a low-percentage receiver with a propensity for drops, having caught just 52.5% of his targets on the season and miffing fourteen potential catches.

WR Brian Hartline, Dolphins

Hartline, a 2009 fourth-round pick out of Ohio State, emerged as one of the most targeted receivers in the league this season, catching 74 passes on 118 throws in his direction (62.7%). The receiver gave New England some difficulty in both matchups with the Dolphins last season, catching five passes for 84 yards in week thirteen and five passes for 69 yards in the season finale.

Signing Hartline would weaken Miami’s offense and potentially provide New England with a deep threat; the receiver caught 13/25 deep throws for 421 yards and one touchdown this season. However, it may be risky to pay a possession receiver with only one season of production; last year Hartline caught just 35/66 passes (53%) with seven dropped passes. He has caught just two total touchdowns over the past two seasons and is not considered a threat after the catch, averaging just 3.4 yards after catch per reception.

WR Randy Moss, 49ers

The case for Randy Moss as a member of the New England Patriots can be easily made by reflecting upon his incredible production with the team from 2007-2009. New England’s offense lacks a tall receiver with the ability to get open downfield on a consistent basis, which is Moss’ specialty. He struggled through a weak 2010 campaign after being traded by the Patriots in midseason; upon being placed on waivers by the Minnesota Vikings, no teams aside from the Tennessee Titans put in a claim on Moss.

The future Hall of Famer sat out the 2011 season before returning to San Francisco as a member of the 49ers this season, where he was productive in limited time, catching 28/51 passes for 434 yards and three touchdowns (15.5 yards per reception.)

It appears that Bill Belichick has moved on from Moss, but nonetheless, re-signing bringing him back into the fold would be exciting, even if he turns 36 in February.

WR Steve Smith, Rams

Smith was on the field for just 181 snaps this season, catching 14/24 passes thrown his way. The season is the second straight disappointing performance since undergoing microfracture surgery in his knee following an injury sustained while playing with the New York Giants in 2010. However, at 27 years old, it’s possible that Smith could eventually recoup some of the athleticism that made him the 51st overall pick back in 2007 or one of the most dangerous slot receivers in the league back in 2009, when he caught 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns.

New England could likely sign Smith to a non-guaranteed one-year contract as inside depth; the receiver’s learning curve could be short after learning Kevin Gilbride’s difficult option-route offense in New York, which features some of the same concepts as Josh McDaniels’ scheme.

WR Mike Wallace, Steelers

Quite a few rumors prior to the 2012 NFL Draft had New England trading their first-round selection for Wallace, then a restricted free agent. The 26 year-old is considered one of the fastest, most dynamic receivers in the league, but held out this season and upon returning didn’t appear as critical to Pittsburgh’s offensive scheme as anticipated: he gained just 836 yards on the season, compared to 1,193 in 2011 and 1,257 in 2010. His yards per catch have been declining each of the past three seasons as well.

While Wallace would certainly inject some youth into New England’s receiver corps, it’s likely that his contract demands will prevent him from ending up as a member of the Patriots considering the money already invested in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

This season, adding Wallace is wishful thinking at best, especially because he is reportedly seeking a deal with an average annual value of $10 million or more.
If Randy Moss was willing to play a mentoring role to AJ I would not mind that signing the rewards could outweigh the risks. I doubt he would be though since he is the self proclaimed GOAT WR.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 02-01-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Darrius Heyward-Bey must take a pay cut or else he could be gone

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl..._gone/12757390

We could swing a deal for him and even if you don't renegotiate his deal the 7.7 million is not that bad seeing as how we have signed free agents to be our #2 WR in the past to 4 year 28 million dollar deals.

The guy is bigger than Maclin, and even though he gets a bad wrap for drops his targets to catches ratio is higher than Maclin's.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
If Randy Moss was willing to play a mentoring role to AJ I would not mind that signing the rewards could outweigh the risks. I doubt he would be though since he is the self proclaimed GOAT WR.
I really really don't want Moss "mentoring" AJ
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Darrius Heyward-Bey must take a pay cut or else he could be gone

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl..._gone/12757390

We could swing a deal for him and even if you don't renegotiate his deal the 7.7 million is not that bad seeing as how we have signed free agents to be our #2 WR in the past to 4 year 28 million dollar deals.

The guy is bigger than Maclin, and even though he gets a bad wrap for drops his targets to catches ratio is higher than Maclin's.
Swap out of the 2nd round entirely for both Heyward Bey + McFadden, spend the rest of the draft on LB/S/OL help.........I'M LOVIN' IT !!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

Quote:
Hey fellas, instead of slobbering over a bum like B Hartline, check out this list: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...rs-on-the-move
I've got a better idea...let's trade for Titas Young
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
DHB>Maclin

Both could be had for about the same price
DHB got benched because of his drops, and he always seems to have nagging injuries. Watching him play this season, seeing all the horrible drops and missed opportunities, I just can't get behind him coming here.

Maclin is the best option on the OPs list IMO.
More consistent and still very young relative to his experience.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
I've got a better idea...let's trade for Titas Young

Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6663

Quote:
Hey fellas, instead of slobbering over a bum like B Hartline, check out this list: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...rs-on-the-move
Good post and that's a nice list of WR's.
I like a few of those cats Benn,Maclin,Washngton, and Burleson but to call Hartline a bum is assinine.
Hartline may command to much money anyways but his production speaks for itself.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7611

I would take Boldin on a 2 year or 3 contract and give Jones and Sanu time to grow in our offense

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5766
bengals Re: Wide Receivers: On the Move?

Since the Bengals don't have any particular NEED in the first round, they should steal Victor Cruz from the Giants with their first round pick, who's a RFA. Not like the Giants have the cap space to compete with any offer the Bengals give anyway. Then they draft a RB with the Oakland 2nd rounder, and pow.. the Bengals offense is mighty strong looking. Just a C from being amazing (which may be Robinson if he shows up to camp with some extra muscle built on..)

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals in Toronto View Post
I would take Boldin on a 2 year or 3 contract and give Jones and Sanu time to grow in our offense
Just think what Sanu could learn from Boldin as well...
Both are built similar and have the same attributes: Tough, Strong, Good hands, Good route runner.

Wouldn't wanna overpay though, since like the article said, he's pretty much a TE at this point in his career.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Since the Bengals don't have any particular NEED in the first round, they should steal Victor Cruz from the Giants with their first round pick, who's a RFA. Not like the Giants have the cap space to compete with any offer the Bengals give anyway. Then they draft a RB with the Oakland 2nd rounder, and pow.. the Bengals offense is mighty strong looking. Just a C from being amazing (which may be Robinson if he shows up to camp with some extra muscle built on..)
I wondered the same thing, but I didn't know if it would be possible to keep AJ, Victor, Dalton, Atkins, and MJ with all the contracts that we are going to have to give them. I like the thinking too but I just wonder about the expense. Do teams still have capologists? If so the FO better wake theirs up and get them crunching numbers.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34250

We could get Arrelious Benn for practically nothing. I'd be down with seeing if a change of scenery could inspire the 6'2", 220 lb, WR with 4.4 speed.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
We could get Arrelious Benn for practically nothing. I'd be down with seeing if a change of scenery could inspire the 6'2", 220 lb, WR with 4.4 speed.
Only if he was a first round pick. It's worked for the defense. Would be nice to see one work for the offense for a change.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7225

Quote:
Benn's certainly interesting, I don't know why he hasn't made a bigger impact in TB. He was considered a late 1st round prospect in the 2010 draft.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Only if he was a first round pick. It's worked for the defense. Would be nice to see one work for the offense for a change.
24 yrs old, #17 Overall pick sounds pretty good to me
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
24 yrs old, #17 Overall pick sounds pretty good to me
I think you're confusing his draft number with his jersey number....

He was the 39th pick..... wears number 17.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6663

Quote:
I like Benn quite a bit and he has good speed and size.
I like Maclin as well.His numbers weren't great this past season but the year before he was solid.
Benn on the cheap would be a great pick up.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 02-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think you're confusing his draft number with his jersey number....

He was the 39th pick..... wears number 17.
I stand corrected Dalton throwing to #17 & #18 might still work though.......................................

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.