Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46912
Default Re: Need to lose weight.

Just rub the food you are thinking of eating against a brown paper bag. If the bag turns clear, it's your window to weight gain!

-Dr. Nick Riviera

Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35053

You could always try the super weight loss plan.... But you must complete each and every stage once you start up...

Stage 1. Attractive Brunette shows up at your door and says IF you can catch me you can have me. And takes off jogging at a fast pace. Once you can catch her its on to stage 2.

Stage 2. Attractive RedHead shows up at your Door. Says "if you can catch me you can have me" and takes off running.... (same as stage1)

Stage 3. Big busty atheletic blond comes to your door says the same as the others that can before and takes off at a fast run.... Once you have her its time for your final stage which will repeat until you win..

Stage 4.

Shows up at your door and Says... "If i catch you......"
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23057

Just rub the food you are thinking of eating against a brown paper bag. If the bag turns clear, it's your window to weight gain!

-Dr. Nick Riviera

on a more serious note...

Exercise more, favoring big muscle groups, giants sets, and low rest between sets. Decrease carbs with a high glycemic index, increase protein intake, and don't eat 3 hours before bedtime. Last meal should have the least amount of fat/carbs, so as not to get stored as fat if not used up.

Cardio is a dubious way to lose weight, as the longer you perform endurance exercise, or any exercise for that matter, the more cortisol you build up. Obviously, long term, cortisol is not good for you, especially if your goal is to add/maintain muscle mass.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Hormones/AdrenalGlands.html.

Cortisol

Blood sugar regulation
Anti-inflammatary action
Immune response modification
Heart and blood vessel toning
Central nervous system stimulation
Stress reaction normalization

Cortisol is a catabolic hormone which induces the breakdown of cellular proteins. Cortisol helps maintain plasma glucose levels during a fast by stimulating gluconeogenesis / lipolysis and inhibing lipid synthesis. Glucocorticoides decrease muscle protein synthesis and increase muscle protein degradation so amino acids will be available for glucose production. Cortisol also increases lipolysis, in part, by enhancing GH and catecholamine stimulated lipolysis. In men, significant elevations in cortisol seem to reduce endogenous testosterone by acting directly upon the testis to impair the biosynthesis of testosterone (Di Pasquale, 1992c).

Cortisol increases as intense exercise is prolonged (Di Pasquale, 1992c). Submaximal exercise at lower intensities (i.e. 63% maximum oxygen consumption) stimulates lower cortisol response than higher intensities (i.e. 86% maximum oxygen consumption) (Farrell, Garthwaite, & Gustafson, 1983; Naveri, 1985).

And yes, that is the same Pasquale who developed the Anabolic Diet, which everyone is marketing with a slight twist claiming their own invention...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18257

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
Lifting weights - yes.

Eating right - there's the problem. House full of people that DON'T eat right.
It's a world full of people that don't eat right. You gotta take control. I struggle with it too but it's my fault.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzberg06 View Post
It's a world full of people that don't eat right. You gotta take control. I struggle with it too but it's my fault.
Just about habits bro and getting in the right routine!

Trust me, I know fast food is TOO EASY to just grab and go, I used to go to Mickey D's everyday for my lunch. Truth be told, eating fast food was a helluva lot cheaper than my strict healthy diet I got going on now. I spend 125$ a week grocery shopping just for myself. This is buying things in bulk too.

But once I got in the habit, it's a piece of cake(no pun intended lol) and ritual to do so now, just as eating fast food was in the past.

You can do it ya mommas boy!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
Just about habits bro and getting in the right routine!

Trust me, I know fast food is TOO EASY to just grab and go, I used to go to Mickey D's everyday for my lunch. Truth be told, eating fast food was a helluva lot cheaper than my strict healthy diet I got going on now. I spend 125$ a week grocery shopping just for myself. This is buying things in bulk too.

But once I got in the habit, it's a piece of cake(no pun intended lol) and ritual to do so now, just as eating fast food was in the past.

You can do it ya mommas boy!
Its a lot easier to eat better when you can live in a house void of junk food....

Even if you still eat fast food.. Just make better choices from the menu..

Example (what i do)

Instead of getting 2 Double Cheese from BK

I now get 2 Grilled Chicken Wraps... About the same price and almost as filling...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Its a lot easier to eat better when you can live in a house void of junk food....

Even if you still eat fast food.. Just make better choices from the menu..

Example (what i do)

Instead of getting 2 Double Cheese from BK

I now get 2 Grilled Chicken Wraps... About the same price and almost as filling...

Yeah if you're a big ussy.

Lol @ your substitution. Sure, it's better compared to the other crap you listed, but that food is still JUNK with a shtstorm of sodium.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
Yeah if you're a big ussy.

Lol @ your substitution. Sure, it's better compared to the other crap you listed, but that food is still JUNK with a shtstorm of sodium.
Its chicken cheeses lettace and honey mustard sauce in a tortia.

But its better for you than a double cheeseburger.
I cannot yet survive on rabbit food but im working it into my diet more and more. makes my nose twitch sometimes.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CR- View Post
I just went through the same thing. Here are a few things I did to lose 30lbs in a little over 6 months.

1. Keep a food log for the first 2 weeks. Look at your food, count calories and know what a portion is. For your height/weight you only need between 1200 and 2000 a day.

2. Plan your meals, know what your going to eat, how much and how many calories for each meal. You'll quickly learn what kinds of foods you can eat more of and stay within your calorie goal.

3. Get active but take it slow.

4. Nothing but water after 8:00 pm. This one will **** and will take a while to get used to but will be worth it once you start seeing the results.

5. Realize that this is a lifestyle change. If you don't continue after you meet your goal, the weight will come right back.

Good luck to you!
My only question about this is, what if you work late nights? Like say you get off work around 3 or 4 AM? Because that's a 7-8 hour period from then until I just get off work. So when would I stop eating?

I work out and am somewhat fit, but trying to gain muscle now. I've never weighed over 160 in my life, and right now I'm around 150.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
My only question about this is, what if you work late nights? Like say you get off work around 3 or 4 AM? Because that's a 7-8 hour period from then until I just get off work. So when would I stop eating?

I work out and am somewhat fit, but trying to gain muscle now. I've never weighed over 160 in my life, and right now I'm around 150.
Adjust for time you get off... If person A goes to bed @ Midnight stop @ 8:PM example*

Rugby can probly best tell you how to balk up... But protein and probly strenght reps would help (low # of reps at the highest weight you can)
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10924

Does anyone want me to post a Nude before pic so I can post a Nude after pic in about 3 months?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Adjust for time you get off... If person A goes to bed @ Midnight stop @ 8:PM example*

Rugby can probly best tell you how to balk up... But protein and probly strenght reps would help (low # of reps at the highest weight you can)
So around a 4 hours before you go to sleep? I honestly just want to get into a good eating habit so when I get older I have an easier time with this.

Like reps of 8 at the highest I can go? For example. Or even lower than 8?

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46912

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
So around a 4 hours before you go to sleep? I honestly just want to get into a good eating habit so when I get older I have an easier time with this.

Reps of 8 on your middle sets. Use reps of 4-6 on your heavy work sets.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8660

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Does anyone want me to post a Nude before pic so I can post a Nude after pic in about 3 months?

Let me think about this...

NO!

BJ and SCS might say yes, though.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Reps will depend on your goal, and the range will further depend on the muscle group being targeted.

But as a general "rule"

1-3 reps - telling your body you want strength and not size. Think wrestlers, power lifters, non endurance athletes

4-6 reps -telling the body that strength is needed, but a little added size is appreciated.

7-9 reps -same as above, but the primary is size and secondary is strength.

10-13 reps - Looking for size, with limited strength gain.

There's some nice charts out there showing this in much better detail, how the body responds to lifting stimuli. But basically, if you're looking for size and functional strength, stick between 5-9 reps. The benefit here is in the fact that the body quickly adjusts and improves the rep range, so if you have a well designed program, you will see improvement every week.

I like to have a program set for 6 weeks, and then change things up. But I begin using weight that I could only do cleanly, at a fair tempo, for 5 reps though all the sets.

So I start with a weight I can do 7 times, then stop 2 reps shy on the first set.

Next set, stop 2 shy of failure again.

3rd set, stop 1 shy of failure.

4th, 1 shy of failure.

5th set, go to failure.

6th set, go to failure.

6 sets may seem like a lot, but you are in a low rep range, and as the reps in a set drop, the number of sets has to go up for optimal progress to be made. And as I said before, when you string together 3-4 exercises in a row for a circuit, and only rest 30 seconds between sets, you get a great workout in very little time. By compacting all that work in a limited time frame, it reduces the overall cortisol buildup in your body. It burns calories, as you will force your body into anaerobic respiration for ATP, which is about 13 times less efficient than aerobic respiration, thus the calories being burnt up. And it acts as conditioning, as your heart rate is significantly elevated the entire time.

Once you get in the groove, you realize how much people stand around in the gym wasting time and doing nothing. If you're looking to add mass, increase your protein intake by simply eating more good protein in addition to your normal diet, like a few glasses of whole milk during the day or a couple protein shakes, or snack on hard boiled eggs. Don't modify everything, just add to what you already are doing.

That and lean more towards exercises that work more muscle groups at once. For example, I haven't done regular "curls" for years, and minimally do any focused bicep work. Always do a variation that works more than just the bicep, like hammer curls, reverse curls, or my current favorite, Zottmen Curls. Squats, Deadlift, Bench Press, Cleans, Chins, Dips, any Olympic lift, should all be in your routines. They work a lot of muscle at once and are solid foundations for adding mass.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

Reps will depend on your goal, and the range will further depend on the muscle group being targeted.

But as a general "rule"

1-3 reps - telling your body you want strength and not size. Think wrestlers, power lifters, non endurance athletes

4-6 reps -telling the body that strength is needed, but a little added size is appreciated.

7-9 reps -same as above, but the primary is size and secondary is strength.

10-13 reps - Looking for size, with limited strength gain.

There's some nice charts out there showing this in much better detail, how the body responds to lifting stimuli. But basically, if you're looking for size and functional strength, stick between 5-9 reps. The benefit here is in the fact that the body quickly adjusts and improves the rep range, so if you have a well designed program, you will see improvement every week.

I like to have a program set for 6 weeks, and then change things up. But I begin using weight that I could only do cleanly, at a fair tempo, for 5 reps though all the sets.

So I start with a weight I can do 7 times, then stop 2 reps shy on the first set.

Next set, stop 2 shy of failure again.

3rd set, stop 1 shy of failure.

4th, 1 shy of failure.

5th set, go to failure.

6th set, go to failure.

6 sets may seem like a lot, but you are in a low rep range, and as the reps in a set drop, the number of sets has to go up for optimal progress to be made. And as I said before, when you string together 3-4 exercises in a row for a circuit, and only rest 30 seconds between sets, you get a great workout in very little time. By compacting all that work in a limited time frame, it reduces the overall cortisol buildup in your body. It burns calories, as you will force your body into anaerobic respiration for ATP, which is about 13 times less efficient than aerobic respiration, thus the calories being burnt up. And it acts as conditioning, as your heart rate is significantly elevated the entire time.

Once you get in the groove, you realize how much people stand around in the gym wasting time and doing nothing. If you're looking to add mass, increase your protein intake by simply eating more good protein in addition to your normal diet, like a few glasses of whole milk during the day or a couple protein shakes, or snack on hard boiled eggs. Don't modify everything, just add to what you already are doing.

That and lean more towards exercises that work more muscle groups at once. For example, I haven't done regular "curls" for years, and minimally do any focused bicep work. Always do a variation that works more than just the bicep, like hammer curls, reverse curls, or my current favorite, Zottmen Curls. Squats, Deadlift, Bench Press, Cleans, Chins, Dips, any Olympic lift, should all be in your routines. They work a lot of muscle at once and are solid foundations for adding mass.

Good luck.
Do you have any opinion on the Stronglifts 5X5 routine?

Just ran into an old friend of mine who put on 45 pounds in 5 years (scrawny guy in high school, muscular as hell now). He swears by this routine and I may try to get into it in the coming months as well (I currently do a push/legs/pull/off - repeat routine).

A little info on the program here:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Just ran into an old friend of mine who put on 45 pounds in 5 years (scrawny guy in high school, muscular as hell now). He swears by this routine and I may try to get into it in the coming months as well (I currently do a push/legs/pull/off - repeat routine).

There are a lot of fantastic claims being made, which is the first sign that you should be wary. The 5x5 technique is something that has been around for a while, but this guy is simply marketing it with some wild claims and outlier results. He is taking an old idea, trying to use it towards everything, and trying to make it seem like "he" unlocked some secret.

Alarm bells should be ringing when he claims you'll be stronger than someone roided up! That stuff is illegal and expensive for a reason!

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/...gth-Gains.aspx

One of the most effective words to use in any sales presentation is “New!” as in “New and Improved!” You wouldn’t go into an Apple Store and ask one of the “Mac Geniuses” to show you a line of 2006 personal computers. Doing so would undoubtedly get you some smirks because nobody wants a 2006 computer – or for that matter last year’s model. In the personal computer business “new” is what sells. This concept certainly applies to computers and pretty much all aspects of technology, but it doesn’t necessarily apply to weight training workouts.

I say this because the human body has not evolved dramatically in the last three decades. As a result, some great workout systems that were designed many decades ago are still great and are responsible for developing some extremely strong and muscular individuals. And this is why I treasure many of the old books on strength and mass building. If you’re interested in one that is just as effective now as when Reg Park wrote it, I recommend you pick up a copy of Park’s book Strength & Bulk Training for Weight Lifters & Body Builders.

British bodybuilder Reg Park won the Mr. Britain title in 1949, the overall title in the amateur NABBA Mr. Universe in 1951 and the pro division in both 1958 and 1965. In 1973 Park – displaying a lifelong commitment to hard training – placed second in the tall class in the pro division of that year’s Mr. Universe. Park was probably best known for playing Hercules in five movies and was Arnold Schwarzenegger’s bodybuilding idol.

At 6' 1" Park had legitimate 20-inch arms, could do a strict barbell curl with 200 pounds and is credited as being the first bodybuilder to bench press 500 pounds – which he reportedly did in street clothes! Park helped popularize the 5 x 5 method for developing both strength and hypertrophy.

Another of my favorite books is The Development of Muscular Bulk & Power by Anthony Ditillo (this book, along with Park’s, is available through superstrengthtraining.com). I bought an entire case of Ditillo’s book, and I give out copies to my best students, as it teaches great lessons on the value of hard work. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Anthony Ditillo, let me enlighten you.

Ditillo, like Park, was a man who walked the talk, packing 300 pounds of muscle on a 5'7" frame, although at one point he trimmed down to 190 pounds, proving he knew how to manipulate diet and exercise to transform a physique. As with Park, Ditillo was as strong as he looked, and among his strength feats was performing a seated press to his forehead with 435 pounds for 3 reps.

Ditillo believed in hard work and in striving to continually increase the amount of weight in your workouts. His workouts emphasized exercises that gave you the most bang for your buck, such as heavy-duty presses and rows and full-range squats, the ones that make you leave a stain on the carpet. Triceps kickbacks and plank exercises had no place in a Ditillo workout.

One of the lessons I learned from legends such as Park and Ditillo is that you should look at how to make things harder, not easier. That point of view is very uncommon these days. If today, starting at 7 a.m., Bill Gates had to pay five cents for every set of squats that are done above parallel in the US alone, he would run out of money by 9:52.

Today, before you start your workout, look at your current routine. Are you taking the easy route? Twerps who make no gains in the weightroom are typically guys who will debate you on whether caffeine should be a pre- or a post-workout activity. But ask them why they are not squatting and they will probably explain that squats make their legs too big – yet when you see guys like these wearing shorts, you would think they were riding ostriches.

Bottom line: There are no shortcuts. And with that inspiration, here is a very simple 4-step formula for muscle growth:

Step 1: Take pictures of yourself – front, side and back views – just wearing shorts, and have your bodyfat measured accurately

Step 2: Assess how much you can do for 6RM (repetitions maximum) on the following lifts – pick one per category
Category 1: Full Back Squat or Full Front Squat*
Category 2: Supinated Chin-Up or Neutral-Grip Pull-Up on Rings
Category 3: Snatch Deadlift on Podium or Clean-Grip Deadlift
Category 4: Incline Dumbbell Press (hands semisupinated) or V-Bar Dip.
*Also known as “Ass to grass” squats.

Step 3: Train your *** off for four months to boost your scores on the Step 2 exercises

Step 4: Retest your scores on Steps 1 and 2

By then, you should have gained 15 pounds of muscle and become significantly stronger. Very simple. It’s a new concept, but sometimes it pays to listen to the past.

I highly recommend checking out the books I just mentioned above:
The Development of Muscular Bulk
 and Power
 by Anthony Ditillo
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2688

Quote:
Oh my, yes, that would be Christmas.
Could you also add the dedication "for my beloved Austrian hubby - wet dreams, sweet prince?"
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7090

Quote:

There are a lot of fantastic claims being made, which is the first sign that you should be wary. The 5x5 technique is something that has been around for a while, but this guy is simply marketing it with some wild claims and outlier results. He is taking an old idea, trying to use it towards everything, and trying to make it seem like "he" unlocked some secret.

Alarm bells should be ringing when he claims you'll be stronger than someone roided up! That stuff is illegal and expensive for a reason!

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/...gth-Gains.aspx

One of the most effective words to use in any sales presentation is “New!” as in “New and Improved!” You wouldn’t go into an Apple Store and ask one of the “Mac Geniuses” to show you a line of 2006 personal computers. Doing so would undoubtedly get you some smirks because nobody wants a 2006 computer – or for that matter last year’s model. In the personal computer business “new” is what sells. This concept certainly applies to computers and pretty much all aspects of technology, but it doesn’t necessarily apply to weight training workouts.

I say this because the human body has not evolved dramatically in the last three decades. As a result, some great workout systems that were designed many decades ago are still great and are responsible for developing some extremely strong and muscular individuals. And this is why I treasure many of the old books on strength and mass building. If you’re interested in one that is just as effective now as when Reg Park wrote it, I recommend you pick up a copy of Park’s book Strength & Bulk Training for Weight Lifters & Body Builders.

British bodybuilder Reg Park won the Mr. Britain title in 1949, the overall title in the amateur NABBA Mr. Universe in 1951 and the pro division in both 1958 and 1965. In 1973 Park – displaying a lifelong commitment to hard training – placed second in the tall class in the pro division of that year’s Mr. Universe. Park was probably best known for playing Hercules in five movies and was Arnold Schwarzenegger’s bodybuilding idol.

At 6' 1" Park had legitimate 20-inch arms, could do a strict barbell curl with 200 pounds and is credited as being the first bodybuilder to bench press 500 pounds – which he reportedly did in street clothes! Park helped popularize the 5 x 5 method for developing both strength and hypertrophy.

Another of my favorite books is The Development of Muscular Bulk & Power by Anthony Ditillo (this book, along with Park’s, is available through superstrengthtraining.com). I bought an entire case of Ditillo’s book, and I give out copies to my best students, as it teaches great lessons on the value of hard work. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Anthony Ditillo, let me enlighten you.

Ditillo, like Park, was a man who walked the talk, packing 300 pounds of muscle on a 5'7" frame, although at one point he trimmed down to 190 pounds, proving he knew how to manipulate diet and exercise to transform a physique. As with Park, Ditillo was as strong as he looked, and among his strength feats was performing a seated press to his forehead with 435 pounds for 3 reps.

Ditillo believed in hard work and in striving to continually increase the amount of weight in your workouts. His workouts emphasized exercises that gave you the most bang for your buck, such as heavy-duty presses and rows and full-range squats, the ones that make you leave a stain on the carpet. Triceps kickbacks and plank exercises had no place in a Ditillo workout.

One of the lessons I learned from legends such as Park and Ditillo is that you should look at how to make things harder, not easier. That point of view is very uncommon these days. If today, starting at 7 a.m., Bill Gates had to pay five cents for every set of squats that are done above parallel in the US alone, he would run out of money by 9:52.

Today, before you start your workout, look at your current routine. Are you taking the easy route? Twerps who make no gains in the weightroom are typically guys who will debate you on whether caffeine should be a pre- or a post-workout activity. But ask them why they are not squatting and they will probably explain that squats make their legs too big – yet when you see guys like these wearing shorts, you would think they were riding ostriches.

Bottom line: There are no shortcuts. And with that inspiration, here is a very simple 4-step formula for muscle growth:

Step 1: Take pictures of yourself – front, side and back views – just wearing shorts, and have your bodyfat measured accurately

Step 2: Assess how much you can do for 6RM (repetitions maximum) on the following lifts – pick one per category
Category 1: Full Back Squat or Full Front Squat*
Category 2: Supinated Chin-Up or Neutral-Grip Pull-Up on Rings
Category 3: Snatch Deadlift on Podium or Clean-Grip Deadlift
Category 4: Incline Dumbbell Press (hands semisupinated) or V-Bar Dip.
*Also known as “*** to grass” squats.

Step 3: Train your *** off for four months to boost your scores on the Step 2 exercises

Step 4: Retest your scores on Steps 1 and 2

By then, you should have gained 15 pounds of muscle and become significantly stronger. Very simple. It’s a new concept, but sometimes it pays to listen to the past.

I highly recommend checking out the books I just mentioned above:
The Development of Muscular Bulk
 and Power
 by Anthony Ditillo
That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though the program he offers is totally free, the language he uses just makes it sound like he's trying to market something...

I was always told that low-volume, full-body routines are most useful for beginners and hard-gainers (of which I am neither, I've gained a lot of strength and size using the routine I do now). I've tried just about every routine/split imaginable except for the 5X5.

It's an interesting concept and I'd like to try it out for a bit to see what happens... but at the same time, I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

If I were to follow the 5X5 routine, would adding some pullups, dips and cardio (i.e. 20-25 minutes of jogging as often as possible) harm anything?

Last edited by pat5775; 02-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10924

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollodero View Post
Oh my, yes, that would be Christmas.
Could you also add the dedication "for my beloved Austrian hubby - wet dreams, sweet prince?"
Absolutely. Are we going to the Outback?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2688

Quote:
Absolutely. Are we going to the Outback?
- Sure. I'd go everywhere with you.
Ron Mexico can't come, though. (I, however, will not have any problem in that respect. I hope you like it gooey.)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3012

Well, I lost 60 pounds in two months.

I just drank tons of water, didn't eat much and ranranran. Not really healthy, but got skinny, then started lifting and bulked up.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:
on a more serious note...

Exercise more, favoring big muscle groups, giants sets, and low rest between sets. Decrease carbs with a high glycemic index, increase protein intake, and don't eat 3 hours before bedtime. Last meal should have the least amount of fat/carbs, so as not to get stored as fat if not used up.

Cardio is a dubious way to lose weight, as the longer you perform endurance exercise, or any exercise for that matter, the more cortisol you build up. Obviously, long term, cortisol is not good for you, especially if your goal is to add/maintain muscle mass.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Hormones/AdrenalGlands.html.

Cortisol

Blood sugar regulation
Anti-inflammatary action
Immune response modification
Heart and blood vessel toning
Central nervous system stimulation
Stress reaction normalization

Cortisol is a catabolic hormone which induces the breakdown of cellular proteins. Cortisol helps maintain plasma glucose levels during a fast by stimulating gluconeogenesis / lipolysis and inhibing lipid synthesis. Glucocorticoides decrease muscle protein synthesis and increase muscle protein degradation so amino acids will be available for glucose production. Cortisol also increases lipolysis, in part, by enhancing GH and catecholamine stimulated lipolysis. In men, significant elevations in cortisol seem to reduce endogenous testosterone by acting directly upon the testis to impair the biosynthesis of testosterone (Di Pasquale, 1992c).

Cortisol increases as intense exercise is prolonged (Di Pasquale, 1992c). Submaximal exercise at lower intensities (i.e. 63% maximum oxygen consumption) stimulates lower cortisol response than higher intensities (i.e. 86% maximum oxygen consumption) (Farrell, Garthwaite, & Gustafson, 1983; Naveri, 1985).

And yes, that is the same Pasquale who developed the Anabolic Diet, which everyone is marketing with a slight twist claiming their own invention...
The next time try to at least understand what your posting.

63% VO2 max = 78% max heart rate = aerobic exercise = less cortisol
86% VO2 max = 93% max heart rate = anaerobic exercise = more cortisol

So whether you exercise for 60 minutes or 360 minutes, you will produce more cortisol with higher intensity exercise vs. lower intensity exercise over x amount of time.

Maybe once you're actually in physical therapy school and take some physiology and biochemistry you'll finally figure it out.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though the program he offers is totally free, the language he uses just makes it sound like he's trying to market something...

I was always told that low-volume, full-body routines are most useful for beginners and hard-gainers (of which I am neither, I've gained a lot of strength and size using the routine I do now). I've tried just about every routine/split imaginable except for the 5X5.

It's an interesting concept and I'd like to try it out for a bit to see what happens... but at the same time, I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

If I were to follow the 5X5 routine, would adding some pullups, dips and cardio (i.e. 20-25 minutes of jogging as often as possible) harm anything?

Beginners will usually make gains no matter what the programs, as they have a low "training age." The "older" your training age, the harder it is to make appreciable gains, and younger = easier. I am not certain I would call 5x5, at least Poliquin''s set up with 4 exercises, low volume, so maybe you should clarify what you mean?

Hard gainers benefit from low volume for two reasons, variation and the chance they have been over-training. If you're thinking of dipping a toe in the 5v5 training, just insert the platform in for a single exercise for a few weeks and see how it works for you. If nothing else, the variation will help promote muscle growth/gains.

As for additional exercises and cardio the same day, not really a fan. Using Poliquin's set up, that would be 20 sets already, adding dips and chins to the set up would make for pushing 30 sets, which is a lot if you're not pulling singles. Plus, I've always been a believer of making your workout the "cardio" by lowering rest between sets. This lowers the total workout time by forcing you to keep moving between sets, and keeps you from having to be a hamster on a treadmill. 30 seconds of rest between sets should be the goal, but start with more, working your way down to the half minute mark. It keeps your heart rate elevated and burns a lot of calories. Halfway through the workout, you should almost catch your breath between sets.

There's a lot more to it, as the one piece was from Poliquin's site, and the other was simply a brief explanation of cortisol I pulled off a site. If you want to fine tune your program, mix and match a little to find something that really works for you, just be careful not to overtrain. As a general rule, I try not to engage in strenuous exercise for longer than 45 minute bouts, and no more than 4 times a week tops. Helps prevent over training and motivates me to keep moving lest I can't get the whole workout done in time.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720

I just signed up for a 10k Race on Saturday. This will be my first "race."

Cupid's Crawl