Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129
Default Arthur Brown Scouting Report

Thought this was an interesting read. For those who aren't familiar:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1...s-state-chiefs

Chases down RGIII:

Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1237
Default Re: Arthur Brown Scouting Report

I like him but i dont think he is a first round prospect. seems analysts feel the same way some love him and have him in the first and some have him in the 4th.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

It really depends where you play this guy. If you plan on playing him at MLB in this division, he is going to get flattened by O-lineman.

I would put him at WILL in a heartbeat.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
I like him but i dont think he is a first round prospect. seems analysts feel the same way some love him and have him in the first and some have him in the 4th.
Who has the guy in round 4?

Anyway he has quickly become one of my favorite prospects to look at in round 1 and would be very happy if he was the pick.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

I have Vacarro in round 1 and Arthur Brown with the 37th pick.Hopefully can add about 10 lbs. and still keep his speed.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533

This one's the most impressive of the bunch. He diagnoses and reacts quickly.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Saw him play a few times and he seemed to be everywhere and move like he was shot out of a cannon. Going out on a limb and saying Zim could find a use for this guy.

Seems to be coming down to which is your favorite color, Brown or Greene.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Saw him play a few times and he seemed to be everywhere and move like he was shot out of a cannon. Going out on a limb and saying Zim could find a use for this guy.

but yeah, he's definitely an intriguing player. He plays so much bigger than his size, and if he could get to 235-240lbs by the time the combine comes around, I think he'll cement himself as a mid-late first rounder. Has all the tools.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post

I watched every KSU snap this year, I was at that Baylor game last year when he was chasing down RGIII and he had the game clinching int.

Bill Snyder runs a very conservitive pro style D with not much blitzing from the LB spot. Snyder also teaches his players about being good people and hard workers as well. If a guy screws up, they're gone. Aurther's brother Bryce knows this.

Not that my opinion matters but A.Brown is a solid player, he was playing hurt (ankle) the last half of the year so his played dipped some. I don't know if he can put much more weight on, his frame seems almost maxed out, but this guy tackles, runs sideline to sideline, and sheds blockers very well. He also wasn't playing with a bunch of top 100 guys like Ogeltree in GA, Brown had to shed blockers because his Dline wasn't getting doubled.

He becomes an instant ST stud, can he play WILL, I think so, can he play in the middle, probabley not in our D.
I think he is one of those guys that would be great in a rotation, coming in on 3rd downs to cover RB's/TE's and chase around those read option guys. IMO I don't think he is a first rounder, the main reason is his size, short arms, and not much pass rushing ability/chances. If we were to draft him with the 2B pick I would be A OK with it.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 02-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I watched every KSU snap this year, I was at that Baylor game last year when he was chasing down RGIII and he had the game clinching int.

Bill Snyder runs a very conservitive pro style D with not much blitzing from the LB spot. Snyder also teaches his players about being good people and hard workers as well. If a guy screws up, they're gone. Aurther's brother Bryce knows this.

Not that my opinion matters but A.Brown is a solid player, he was playing hurt (ankle) the last half of the year so his played dipped some. I don't know if he can put much more weight on, his frame seems almost maxed out, but this guy tackles, runs sideline to sideline, and sheds blockers very well. He also wasn't playing with a bunch of top 100 guys like Ogeltree in GA, Brown had to shed blockers because his Dline wasn't getting doubled.

He becomes an instant ST stud, can he play WILL, I think so, can he play in the middle, probabley not in our D.
I think he is one of those guys that would be great in a rotation, coming in on 3rd downs to cover RB's/TE's and chase around those read option guys. IMO I don't think he is a first rounder, the main reason is his size, short arms, and not much pass rushing ability/chances. If we were to draft him with the 2B pick I would be A OK with it.

I like your opinion of him.

IMO he would be a BAD first round pick. A small, fast, non pass rushing LB is not worth a first round pick. I would rather have Maualuga back and keep Burfict at Will than spend our first on him.

I did not know he was banged up at the end of the year. That helps explain why I was scratching my head at the end of the year while watching KSU games wondering to myself why in the world some people were projecting him in the first. Maybe that ruined my opinion of him. But I just don't see first round material.

Wouldn't be upset if we took him at 2b. but 21 or 37 seems to high. Nothing aggravates me more than seeing him mocked to us in the first. We are not that desperate for LB. And I'm not sure he would be that big of an upgrade over Lamur at WILL if it came down to it.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

if the player the bengals want isn't there at 21 i hope they trade back and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th, and if it is a 4th they should package a 6th and one of the 4ths and try to move back into the 2nd or 3rd round, i would love to get brown early in the 2nd but i also think they would need to grab another backer as well, its our weakest position, burfict is the only one who produces rey. m is nothing more than a back up at this point and howard is unknown as far as how he'll bounce back from that injury, bengals need a lb, safety, and rb with first 3 picks
Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
....but yeah, he's definitely an intriguing player. He plays so much bigger than his size, and if he could get to 235-240lbs by the time the combine comes around, I think he'll cement himself as a mid-late first rounder. Has all the tools.
The only game I saw of his last year was versus West Virginia ... but, yes, he was very impressive in that game. I think we make a little too much of weight sometimes ... Jason Taylor actually played some of his best years at DE at +-245-250 pounds, so IMO even 225-230 isn't a crisis for a LB if the speed, instincts and toughness are there. Could be a good 2nd round pick.

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 02-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
The only game I saw of his last year was versus West Virginia ... but, yes, he was very impressive in that game. I think we make a little too much of weight sometimes ... Jason Taylor actually played some of his best years at DE at +-245-250 pounds, so IMO even 225-230 isn't a crisis for a LB if the speed, instincts and toughness are there. Could be a good 2nd round pick.
Yeah, well I think the days of 260lbs linebackers are long gone. Ray Lewis dropped 20 lbs last offseason because the league is changing. This is a pass-first league, and linebackers need to be able to cover as well; as Mr. Maualuga sadly showcased this season. At 230lbs, he might be a little light, but with an NFL strength program they can easily get him to 240lbs. DeMarco Murray weighed 205lbs during his final season at OU, and by the time he started the season in Dallas, he was 215.

The weight isn't a concern to me, and height for a linebacker is overrated as well. London Fletcher is 5'10, and he's been one of the best linebackers in the league for 15 seasons. If Brown comes in and runs a 4.5 like he's expected, I just don't see how you could pass on him.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, well I think the days of 260lbs linebackers are long gone. Ray Lewis dropped 20 lbs last offseason because the league is changing. This is a pass-first league, and linebackers need to be able to cover as well; as Mr. Maualuga sadly showcased this season. At 230lbs, he might be a little light, but with an NFL strength program they can easily get him to 240lbs. DeMarco Murray weighed 205lbs during his final season at OU, and by the time he started the season in Dallas, he was 215.

The weight isn't a concern to me, and height for a linebacker is overrated as well. London Fletcher is 5'10, and he's been one of the best linebackers in the league for 15 seasons. If Brown comes in and runs a 4.5 like he's expected, I just don't see how you could pass on him.
I like the love for the Wildcat! I will say that I've seen A.Brown in person and 240 might be pushing it on his frame. I don't think he wieghed in at the Senior Bowl, I'm guessing he played around 225 though. But your right, now a LB has to be fast and able to cover. I think Marvin is starting to realize this as well. I really hope we use more of a rotation next year and get the right LB's on the field in the right situations.

I really didn't understand why we kept asking Rey M to do things he physically and mentally couldn't.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 939

A interesting discussion/comparison of the guy many are mocking to Cincy (Ogletree) and Brown:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...-and--ogletree
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 40014

Quote:
I like the love for the Wildcat! I will say that I've seen A.Brown in person and 240 might be pushing it on his frame. I don't think he wieghed in at the Senior Bowl, I'm guessing he played around 225 though. But your right, now a LB has to be fast and able to cover. I think Marvin is starting to realize this as well. I really hope we use more of a rotation next year and get the right LB's on the field in the right situations.

I really didn't understand why we kept asking Rey M to do things he physically and mentally couldn't.

I wouldn't stress about the weight issue. Men have a tendency to thicken up, according to their job requirements.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 939

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I like your opinion of him.

IMO he would be a BAD first round pick. A small, fast, non pass rushing LB is not worth a first round pick. I would rather have Maualuga back and keep Burfict at Will than spend our first on him.

I did not know he was banged up at the end of the year. That helps explain why I was scratching my head at the end of the year while watching KSU games wondering to myself why in the world some people were projecting him in the first. Maybe that ruined my opinion of him. But I just don't see first round material.

Wouldn't be upset if we took him at 2b. but 21 or 37 seems to high. Nothing aggravates me more than seeing him mocked to us in the first. We are not that desperate for LB. And I'm not sure he would be that big of an upgrade over Lamur at WILL if it came down to it.
Bringing back Maualuga for any reason would be an error on the scale of a Greek Tragedy. Arthur Brown would be a fine addition to Cincy's roster. If he's still there at 2A, he'll be a worthy selection. He likely won't be there at 2B. Brown, Minter, Teo, and Ogletree are all in the running to go in the latter 1st, to mid 2nd.

The game against Oregon was a let down, but Oregon's offense did that to every team but Stanford this year.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18763

I'm to the point where I'd be fine with Greene or Brown. They both have different strengths. Greene has less size issues, but he doesn't have Brown's speed either. I just hope we take one of them along with Keith Pough.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4123

Quote:

The only reason Ray lost weight was because he is old and lost more than just a step. He needed to compensate somehow.

Just because Maualuga decided to gain weight and stunk even more does not mean the days of big LBs are over. We still play outside in the winter along with everybody else in our division, and if you can't stop the run bad things happen.

Howard was by far the best coverage LB we have had in awhile and he weighs 245.

Burfict and Brandon Spikes have had two of the worst 40 times for LBs in recent memory and both of them are pretty dang good.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
The only reason Ray lost weight was because he is old and lost more than just a step. He needed to compensate somehow.

Just because Maualuga decided to gain weight and stunk even more does not mean the days of big LBs are over. We still play outside in the winter along with everybody else in our division, and if you can't stop the run bad things happen.

Howard was by far the best coverage LB we have had in awhile and he weighs 245.

Burfict and Brandon Spikes have had two of the worst 40 times for LBs in recent memory and both of them are pretty dang good.
I never said 40 time equates to good coverage skills, but Spikes and Burfict aren't exactly good examples for your argument. Spikes is average in coverage, but Burfict is pretty bad, generally. Thomas Howard is a rare athlete at the linebacker position. Came to the combine at 6'3, 242lbs, and ran a 4.42. Most linebackers aren't that quick at 242lbs.

I'm just saying, if Arthur Brown can get up to 240lbs, the size issue should be completely dismissed.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20702

Quote:
I never said 40 time equates to good coverage skills, but Spikes and Burfict aren't exactly good examples for your argument. Spikes is average in coverage, but Burfict is pretty bad, generally. Thomas Howard is a rare athlete at the linebacker position. Came to the combine at 6'3, 242lbs, and ran a 4.42. Most linebackers aren't that quick at 242lbs.

I'm just saying, if Arthur Brown can get up to 240lbs, the size issue should be completely dismissed.
2 of the best WLB in the last 10 or so years have been under 240 lbs.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
2 of the best WLB in the last 10 or so years have been under 240 lbs.
Briggs and Fletcher?
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20702

Quote:
Briggs and Fletcher?
Fletcher played ILB for awhile now.

Derrick Brooks and Keith Bulluck.
Both under 240.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

This site is pretty high on Brown, and offers a nice summation of him as a prospect. They also think he could be the first LB taken in the draft.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/...ng-report.html

Quote:
Arthur Brown, despite weighing less than some wide receivers at 230 pounds, is one of the most physically impressive prospects that we’ve seen. His speed, acceleration and burst allow him to make up for small mistakes in an angle or a read that other linebackers just can’t get away with.

Brown could be scheme-limited in the NFL. I don’t see a place for him on a pure 3-4 team, while some 4-3 teams might only look at him as a weakside “Will” linebacker unless they have some massive defensive tackles. He flows well to the ball and has speed to cover the whole field, so I do think the outside linebacker spot will work for him in the NFL.

That said, I don’t think you can discount what Brown has done at the inside linebacker position. He is undersized, but he plays like he weighs 250. He gets off blocks, blows up lead blockers, and refuses to back down from players 100 pounds his senior.

Add in some above average coverage skills and you have a three-down linebacker that will come in and contribute as a rookie. I will be shocked if Brown makes it out of the top fifty picks come the 2013 NFL Draft, and won’t be surprised at all if he is the first linebacker chosen over Manti Te’o, Alec Ogletree or Kevin Minter.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1696

Kind of small, but you never know