Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17722
Default What are your priorities for 2013?

I look at the draft and free agency combined to reach our desired outcome of going back to the Super Bowl in 2013. My assumption is we have already resigned Smith, MJ, Newman, Thomas Howard, Gilberry, Adam Jones, Rey M. (small contract) Huber, Geathers (much less expensive 1 year deal) and Sims. I would cut or not resign Allen, Skuta, Scott, Leonard, Mays, Miles, and Quinn. Here are my thoughts:

Needs Top to Bottom
1. Wide Receiver #2 - Free Agent
We need to develop a tandem that scares defense like White and Jones. We are one of the few teams that enjoys a relatively inexpensive Super Star already with AJ. I think this better be another sure fire immediate guy like Jones or AJ or else, go to a veteran. The two I like are Hartline and Amendola. I think in 2 to 3 years Sanu and Jones could each develop into beasts as well. But, I believe to win now we need a vet and am afraid Dalton needs more proven weapons.

2. Linebacker/Safety - Both From Draft
There are some viable free agent safeties, but they would be costly so I am ruling out safety via free agency. I don't see a 100% stud at linebacker in free agency either. So, I think both of this players are our first pick and pick 2a. should be for a safety and for a linebacker. I like Viccarro or Elam as possible 1st rounders or early second rounders. I like Ogletree or Tao (spelling) at linebacker.

3. Running Back (2 of them) - Both Draft and Free Agency
I love the idea of making Bush a priority in free agency to team with Green- Ellis. He is a speed back with great hands and very good out of the backfield. If we sign Bush, I think we wait until pick 2B. to grab a running back. This back needs to be a three down with more speed than Green Ellis, but big enough to be able to have 25 touches a game. I like Lacy (want to see how fast he runs at combine though), Bernard or even taking a shot at Lattimore because we could sit him a year to get over his injury if we signed Bush,

4. Offensive Tackle - Draft
Whittworth is not getting any younger. Collins is a capable backup, but I would like to see a tackle drafted that would be projected to start in 2 or 3 years.

These would be my priorities. To recap, sign our own stud free agents. Make two big splash free agent moves to improve our 22nd ranked offense. Draft a safety and linebacker with top 2 picks. These guys may not start early in 2013, but hopefully would be contributing big by the second half of the year. I don't count on any 3 rd round pick or higher making major contributions as a rookie.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4116
Default Re: What are your priorities for 2013?

Pretty much.

Only differences I'd add in are:

LB: FA AND Draft. Two of three spots are in critical need of upgrade, and depending where we pick a guy in the draft, he may not start. I'm not sure I'd hang my hat on Howard being as good as he was prior, either.

Tackle--same as you but add in looking for a draftable kid who can play multiple spots or at least back those spots up. Roland just does not count.

DE is all depending on what we do with Moch/Geathers. Both could/(should?) be gone and we have to prepare for that possibility.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Pretty much.

Only differences I'd add in are:

LB: FA AND Draft. Two of three spots are in critical need of upgrade, and depending where we pick a guy in the draft, he may not start. I'm not sure I'd hang my hat on Howard being as good as he was prior, either.

Tackle--same as you but add in looking for a draftable kid who can play multiple spots or at least back those spots up. Roland just does not count.

DE is all depending on what we do with Moch/Geathers. Both could/(should?) be gone and we have to prepare for that possibility.
Good Points.

I really was just trying to prioritize 1st 6 decisions. We still have rounds 3 through 6 to add guys as well as we always seem to nab a free agent LB or two each year at a lower cost.

I agree about Howard, but good news is he is already 4 months post surgery so by time of free agency starts in March, they should know exactly what his situation will be barring a setback. So, if he is a liability, they can not resign him which then would make his spot a higher priority. But, keep in mind, I am already suggesting we draft his replacement in round one or two.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25271
bengals Re: What are your priorities for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I look at the draft and free agency combined to reach our desired outcome of going back to the Super Bowl in 2013. My assumption is we have already resigned Smith, MJ, Newman, Thomas Howard, Gilberry, Adam Jones, Rey M. (small contract) Huber, Geathers (much less expensive 1 year deal) and Sims. I would cut or not resign Allen, Skuta, Scott, Leonard, Mays, Miles, and Quinn. Here are my thoughts:

Needs Top to Bottom
We need to develop a tandem that scares defense like White and Jones. We are one of the few teams that enjoys a relatively inexpensive Super Star already with AJ. I think this better be another sure fire immediate guy like Jones or AJ or else, go to a veteran. The two I like are Hartline and Amendola. I think in 2 to 3 years Sanu and Jones could each develop into beasts as well. But, I believe to win now we need a vet and am afraid Dalton needs more proven weapons.

There are some viable free agent safeties, but they would be costly so I am ruling out safety via free agency. I don't see a 100% stud at linebacker in free agency either. So, I think both of this players are our first pick and pick 2a. should be for a safety and for a linebacker. I like Viccarro or Elam as possible 1st rounders or early second rounders. I like Ogletree or Tao (spelling) at linebacker.

I love the idea of making Bush a priority in free agency to team with Green- Ellis. He is a speed back with great hands and very good out of the backfield. If we sign Bush, I think we wait until pick 2B. to grab a running back. This back needs to be a three down with more speed than Green Ellis, but big enough to be able to have 25 touches a game. I like Lacy (want to see how fast he runs at combine though), Bernard or even taking a shot at Lattimore because we could sit him a year to get over his injury if we signed Bush,

Whittworth is not getting any younger. Collins is a capable backup, but I would like to see a tackle drafted that would be projected to start in 2 or 3 years.

These would be my priorities. To recap, sign our own stud free agents. Make two big splash free agent moves to improve our 22nd ranked offense. Draft a safety and linebacker with top 2 picks. These guys may not start early in 2013, but hopefully would be contributing big by the second half of the year. I don't count on any 3 rd round pick or higher making major contributions as a rookie.

What are your thoughts?
Improving the running game is far more important than an additional WR. Matter of fact improving the running game and making it a consistent threat would improve the passing game even if you added no more WRs.

LB at least strongside should come in FA. Preferably DeAndre Levy or Justin Durant and bring Thomas back on the weakside while moving Burfict to the middle. This would give this team an outstanding LB corp.

Last edited by OSUfan; 01-31-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Improving the running game is far more important than an additional WR. Matter of fact improving the running game and making it a consistent threat would improve the passing game even if you added no more WRs.

LB at least strongside should come in FA. Preferably DeAndre Levy or Justin Durant and bring Thomas back on the weakside while moving Burfict to the middle. This would give this team an outstanding LB corp.
I agree about the LB needed in free agency.

I disagree about the receiver position needing to be addressed in tandem with a speed back. The jury is out on Dalton. Give him a couple of more exceptional weapons in 2013, if he succeeds he is a true franchise QB. If not,like Alex Smith and the 49ers, it is time to look for another QB. I don't think we would know the answer if we keep using young wide receivers opposite AJ. I think the offense will not sniff top 10 if a vet receiver is not brought in.

I hope I am wrong of they don't bring in the vet receiver.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 01-31-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:

I disagree about the receiver position needing to be addressed in tandem with a speed back. The jury is out on Dalton. Give him a couple of more exceptional weapons in 2013, if he succeeds he is a true franchise QB. If not,like Alex Smith and the 49ers, it is time to look for another QB. I don't think ww would know the answer if we keep using young wide receivers opposite AJ. I think the offense will not sniff top 10 if a vet receiver is not brought in.

I agree a proven vet would be alot better at this point since we have Sanu and Jones that can still be developed. If we bring in a proven threat like Greg Jennings that will probably be let go or Dwayne Bowe. Hell I would even settle for someone like Danny Amendola at this point.

At linebacker I would love to see someone like Justin Durant or Deandre Levy but I think one is going to stay in Detroit and the other is going to be pricey. I think someone like Daryl Smith who is aging but a great 4-3 linebacker would be amazing here.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19459

Quote:

Needs Top to Bottom

What are your thoughts?
Your number one priority should be offensive line, but not at tackle because we need a center to come in, compete for a starting job, and push Robinson. At the moment, there's not many quality centers set to hit FA, which means we'd need to find one in the draft. In our division, we need a mauler to handle the massive nose tackles.

Sanu was playing fairly well before the injury and Jones should keep developing, so I don't think receiver is really a need, much-less a priority.

I agree that we just need a safety and backer to bring our defense to the next level, which I don't know why but I like Tony Jefferson out of Oklahoma. There's a few good prospects, though, and we need to get a bad-*** that makes people afraid to come over the middle. Ed Reed and Troy P are aging and on their way out, so we need to bring in that type of player to help our D have a nasty swagger.

Depending on if we want to move Burfict to middle or not, and also if we want to take a MIKE or SAM, Ogletree would be nice at MIKE, but I think we probably move Burfict to MIKE just because we'll want him running the show (even though I like him more on the outside, even if it's at SAM, because I think he's best in space with the freedom to move), so I think that CJ Mosley out of Bama could fit great here at SAM. The NFL has become a passing league and he's great in man coverage, zone coverage, and blitzing, so I'd love him in Zim's scheme.

I agree that we need a running back, but I don't think we need (or would get) Bush AND a draft pick. I think that we just need to draft a back to team with our work horse, The Law Firm, that can offer us a homerun threat.

1. Center
2. Backer
3. Safety
4. Running back
5. Receiver

Two and three could be flip-flopped, but we need a center to solidify our line and give Dalton time to let routes develop and feel comfortable stepping up and throwing (also establish a running game).

Last edited by bradfritz21; 01-31-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 152

Priorities

1. linebacker, or 2...grab one or both through draft or one via draft and a FA lb
2. safety...chris crocker, taylor mays, and robert sands all need to be let go, this is a deep draft especially for safeties
3. an explosive running back via the draft, bjge settled down as the season went on and did really well, peerman is ok but didn't get enough touches to prove he's a viable back up, i'm liking joseph randle, zac stacy, or andre ellington, the bengals need to stay away from FA rb's especially reggie bush, he wouldn't do sh..it in the afc north and up until this point in his career he hasn't done anything, and no to drafting montee ball, he has just as much wear and tear as bjge and he's the same kind of runner and isn't even in the league yet
4. oline depth, wouldn't mind seeing a guy like b. jones or fredrick from wisconsin
5. depth, depth, and more depth...hopefully we resign mj, a. smith, and gilberry so we don't have to make the dline and oline a massive priority.

we need to make sure we resign all our key guys, and we absolutely have to get rid of the over the hill guys, crocker/clements/newman/geathers are too old and don't produce enough, we also need to cut ties with mauluga/lawson at lb and brian leonard. and make sure not to overspend on a FA, but there are several out there who could help and fill a priority to give us some flex room with the draft, sign a good vet wr so our young guys can cont to develop and to give dalton another proven target, there is absolutely no reason to draft one unless it is a mid to late round steal period.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Your number one priority should be offensive line, but not at tackle because we need a center to come in, compete for a starting job, and push Robinson. At the moment, there's not many quality centers set to hit FA, which means we'd need to find one in the draft. In our division, we need a mauler to handle the massive nose tackles.

Sanu was playing fairly well before the injury and Jones should keep developing, so I don't think receiver is really a need, much-less a priority.

I agree that we just need a safety and backer to bring our defense to the next level, which I don't know why but I like Tony Jefferson out of Oklahoma. There's a few good prospects, though, and we need to get a bad-*** that makes people afraid to come over the middle. Ed Reed and Troy P are aging and on their way out, so we need to bring in that type of player to help our D have a nasty swagger.

Depending on if we want to move Burfict to middle or not, and also if we want to take a MIKE or SAM, Ogletree would be nice at MIKE, but I think we probably move Burfict to MIKE just because we'll want him running the show (even though I like him more on the outside, even if it's at SAM, because I think he's best in space with the freedom to move), so I think that CJ Mosley out of Bama could fit great here at SAM. The NFL has become a passing league and he's great in man coverage, zone coverage, and blitzing, so I'd love him in Zim's scheme.

I agree that we need a running back, but I don't think we need (or would get) Bush AND a draft pick. I think that we just need to draft a back to team with our work horse, The Law Firm, that can offer us a homerun threat.

1. Center
2. Backer
3. Safety
4. Running back
5. Receiver

Two and three could be flip-flopped, but we need a center to solidify our line and give Dalton time to let routes develop and feel comfortable stepping up and throwing (also establish a running game).
Our OL to me is the hardest to a true read on their ability. We lost our starting LG to injury in pre season. Then, we also lost our veteran center. I know Cook came back, but I don't think he was 100% healthy, but even more important he lost continuity with all the new guys like Boling and Zeitler.

I don't tink center is a top 5 priority for 2013. I want to see how a healthy Cook, Wharton along with more experienced and hopefully stonger young guard perform. I also think Robinson needs to get stronger so I can see him pressing Cook by the end of next year.

Just my take, but I think our OL is a lot lot our DL was a couple of years ago and could develop into a team strength.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonist7 View Post
Priorities

1. linebacker, or 2...grab one or both through draft or one via draft and a FA lb
2. safety...chris crocker, taylor mays, and robert sands all need to be let go, this is a deep draft especially for safeties
3. an explosive running back via the draft, bjge settled down as the season went on and did really well, peerman is ok but didn't get enough touches to prove he's a viable back up, i'm liking joseph randle, zac stacy, or andre ellington, the bengals need to stay away from FA rb's especially reggie bush, he wouldn't do sh..it in the afc north and up until this point in his career he hasn't done anything, and no to drafting montee ball, he has just as much wear and tear as bjge and he's the same kind of runner and isn't even in the league yet
4. oline depth, wouldn't mind seeing a guy like b. jones or fredrick from wisconsin
5. depth, depth, and more depth...hopefully we resign mj, a. smith, and gilberry so we don't have to make the dline and oline a massive priority.

we need to make sure we resign all our key guys, and we absolutely have to get rid of the over the hill guys, crocker/clements/newman/geathers are too old and don't produce enough, we also need to cut ties with mauluga/lawson at lb and brian leonard. and make sure not to overspend on a FA, but there are several out there who could help and fill a priority to give us some flex room with the draft, sign a good vet wr so our young guys can cont to develop and to give dalton another proven target, there is absolutely no reason to draft one unless it is a mid to late round steal period.
I would like to see us add depth as well. To me guys like Whalen, Quinn, Skuta, Peerman and Miles needs to be challenged to get better or for the team to upgrade them. I ma not a Skuta fan because I think he is a very bad LB. People throw Rey under the bus and he deserves some of it, but Skuta is 10 times worse and we need to have guys that push our starters and are not career special team guys.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24364

Priorities? I have a couple of specific players I want no matter what.

LB Khaseem Greene - the best future WLB who'll be available to us in this draft.
RB Kyrwinn Williams - change of pace guy who can return everything there is to return. Great hands, Terrific speed. Can make people miss and then disappear.

If we don't draft those 2 guys, I'll be very disappointed. If we take Arhtur Brown over Greene, I won't be as upset as if we don't get Williams, but still . . .

There are a couple of different guys I'd be happy with at S, RB, & WR.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Our OL to me is the hardest to a true read on their ability. We lost our starting LG to injury in pre season. Then, we also lost our veteran center. I know Cook came back, but I don't think he was 100% healthy, but even more important he lost continuity with all the new guys like Boling and Zeitler.

I don't tink center is a top 5 priority for 2013. I want to see how a healthy Cook, Wharton along with more experienced and hopefully stonger young guard perform. I also think Robinson needs to get stronger so I can see him pressing Cook by the end of next year.

Just my take, but I think our OL is a lot lot our DL was a couple of years ago and could develop into a team strength.
Cook has never wowed from the position, but he has been solid.

Robinson's play was better than Cook's, and an ankle injury would kill a center. If he can return to 100%, then maybe, but my point is we could always upgrade so why not bring in a guy to battle for the spot? We have so few needs, so why not strengthen possibly the most important spot on the line, especially in a division that needs a dominant center?

I'm just not one to sit back and think "oh, he MIGHT be able to get the job done," when we can get an upgrade to at least fight to improve the spot.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

I disagree about the receiver position needing to be addressed in tandem with a speed back. The jury is out on Dalton. Give him a couple of more exceptional weapons in 2013, if he succeeds he is a true franchise QB. If not,like Alex Smith and the 49ers, it is time to look for another QB. I don't think we would know the answer if we keep using young wide receivers opposite AJ. I think the offense will not sniff top 10 if a vet receiver is not brought in.

No offense but I am getting wore out with the speed back thing. Our running game needs more than some scat back added to it. It is funny that you do not seem to see the running game as a weapon for Dalton. Odd thinking really.

Benny made the most he could with the skillset he has. However, his skillset is not really threatening to a defense. Even when he got into the open field it was not a threat because they knew they could run him down. We need to add one of the following guys:

Eddie Lacy (if you add Lacy you get rid of Benny because Lacy is a faster version)
Giovani Bernard (injuries concern me)
Mike Gillislee
Joseph Randle (could add some bulk and not lose speed or agility)
Johnathan Franklin (not my favorite)
Christine Michael (could be the steal of the draft)

Now do not get me wrong about a "speed/scat" back. In addition to one of the guys above I would as well add in the draft a Barner or Kerwynn Williams. These additions would allow Benny to play in his strongest fashion and that is coming in for relief and tough short yardage and redzone scoring.

Running the ball is absolutely a weapon. Having backs that are effective in the screen game is absolutely a weapon. When you strengthen these areas and they are consistently effective then you strengthen your passing game. How many times do you see teams jump on play action from this offense? Exactly .....because they are not overly concerned.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
No offense but I am getting wore out with the speed back thing. Our running game needs more than some scat back added to it. It is funny that you do not seem to see the running game as a weapon for Dalton. Odd thinking really.

Benny made the most he could with the skillset he has. However, his skillset is not really threatening to a defense. Even when he got into the open field it was not a threat because they knew they could run him down. We need to add one of the following guys:

Eddie Lacy (if you add Lacy you get rid of Benny because Lacy is a faster version)
Giovani Bernard (injuries concern me)
Mike Gillislee
Joseph Randle (could add some bulk and not lose speed or agility)
Johnathan Franklin (not my favorite)
Christine Michael (could be the steal of the draft)

Now do not get me wrong about a "speed/scat" back. In addition to one of the guys above I would as well add in the draft a Barner or Kerwynn Williams. These additions would allow Benny to play in his strongest fashion and that is coming in for relief and tough short yardage and redzone scoring.

Running the ball is absolutely a weapon. Having backs that are effective in the screen game is absolutely a weapon. When you strengthen these areas and they are consistently effective then you strengthen your passing game. How many times do you see teams jump on play action from this offense? Exactly .....because they are not overly concerned.
Where did I say the running game improvement would not help Dalton? It appears you read with your mind made up already at times. I said I felt a speed back was important (Bush) and said I thought another running back (rookie should also be a priority) should be drafted early (3 down back).

The difference I need more input on the OL before I go drafting a 3rd center (early in the draft or 1st 3 rounds) to our roster not counting guys like Boling who could also play center. I want to see if a healthy Cook, a healthy Wharton, a 3rd year Boling and 2nd year Zeitler are the answer. I feel good about Smith (assuming he is resigned or franchised) and Whittworth.

To recap, I do think the improving the running game is very important, just feel the OL may or may not be the issue.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Where did I say the running game improvement would not help Dalton? It appears you read with your mind made up already at times. I said I felt a speed back was important (Bush) and said I thought another running back (rookie should also be a priority) should be drafted early (3 down back).

The difference I need more input on the OL before I go drafting a 3rd center (early in the draft or 1st 3 rounds) to our roster not counting guys like Boling who could also play center. I want to see if a healthy Cook, a healthy Wharton, a 3rd year Boling and 2nd year Zeitler are the answer. I feel good about Smith (assuming he is resigned or franchised) and Whittworth.

To recap, I do think the improving the running game is very important, just feel the OL may or may not be the issue.
I am stating that improving this running game is every bit as important as adding yet another young WR. Dramatic improvement in the running game makes your passing game better.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21077

Offense Offense Offense in that order. And MLB as well (biggest need on defense).

Upgrade at center would be very welcome. But moreso bring in two RBs to go with BJGE unless Herron can be that new 3rd back (dump Leonard). And get a receiver or two for the reason of depth at WR whether it is a Hartline or a 2nd to 3rd rounder or both. One of the biggest problems with the Bengals over the years was having not that good of depth at certain positions. And seeing how WR is now one of the more important positions to have quality depth at, it is time for us to do so.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Offense Offense Offense in that order. And MLB as well (biggest need on defense).

Upgrade at center would be very welcome. But moreso bring in two RBs to go with BJGE unless Herron can be that new 3rd back (dump Leonard). And get a receiver or two for the reason of depth at WR whether it is a Hartline or a 2nd to 3rd rounder or both. One of the biggest problems with the Bengals over the years was having not that good of depth at certain positions. And seeing how WR is now one of the more important positions to have quality depth at, it is time for us to do so.
I agree that biggest priority is on offense. I understand why some of you have given up on Cook, but I have not yet. I am just not a fan of having a second year free agent center and then a rookie center to go with our two very young guards. We draft a center and then we have to cut Cook because we are not going to carry 3 centers.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1588

My priority is drafting as many Georgia players as possible. Seems to be working for us so far.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bengal View Post
In order of importance, at least IMO....

I think it is crucial they land either Bernard or Lacy in the 1st 2 rounds. Either guy can serve as a three down back if the Law Firm should go down and would serve as a great 1-2 punch.
Bernard would be good but we'd have to take him in one because I think he'll be gone by two, and Lacy just doesn't have that homerun ability that I want our running back to have, plus I think he's overrated.

Quote:
A true MLB who can handle playcalling, adjustments and be a true captain of the defense.
Burfict could be that guy and be the big, bad-*** intimadator that we need at MIKE.

He's said that he likes playing on the outside more, but I'd at least move him to SAM where he's in more plays.

Either way, we do need another backer early to put either at SAM or MIKE.

Quote:
A SS that can play the run stoutly and not get torched in coverage. I really like Elam, Rambo and Swearinger as possibilities.
Elam's not bad and I like Rambo, but I also like Jefferson because I think that he could be our compact missle Troy P type because he can be into the backfield or up near the line making plays in a split-second, or he's also good in coverage- zone and man.

In 2011 (I think it was '11), he led Oklahoma in tackles from the safety position, and it's not like Oklahoma's a bunch of scrubs.

Quote:
We need to find a CB to play opposite Leon. I don't see Dre as a true #2 and I doubt the coaches do either, most likely a solid nickelback. Guys like Amerson, Trufant and Davis could be likely with the late 2nd rounder.
cougcoughcoughsomeonewantedJenkinscopughcough

It's too soon to give up on Dre, especially when you haven't even seen much of him in the NFL #2 spot, so I'm not real sure how you make that claim.

Dre has great bump-n-run skills, so I'm hoping that we see some of that, especially since our pass rush will force QBs to get rid of the ball quickly.

Even if Dre doesn't come through, we'd still have Pacman, who isn't exactly a slouch and was ranked in the top 20 (maybe even 15) in lowest percentage of firs downs/touchdowns given up (someone posted the rankings).

Having said all that, I'll be ****** if we go anywhere near a corner early, if at all.
Quote:
I agree that biggest priority is on offense. I understand why some of you have given up on Cook, but I have not yet. I am just not a fan of having a second year free agent center and then a rookie center to go with our two very young guards. We draft a center and then we have to cut Cook because we are not going to carry 3 centers.
With how many games Robinson played and how well he played, I think he has more than enough experience.

As for rookies, college is becoming so much like NFL football that it's not as big of a leap, and guy's like Jones and Frederick would make me comfortable with them stepping in to play (not sure I like anyone to play right away beyond those two).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11246

Honestly, I like Sanu. So I'm uneasy with the WR position. I wouldn't mind Hopkins or Woods in the draft in the 2nd round. Both have talent and could do well. However, I also wouldn't mind getting a player like Hartline in free agency. There's a lot of possibilities with this.

I wouldn't mind having Green, Hopkins, and Sanu on the field. Also, I would like Hawkins back. He would do very well in a gadget role, and definitely can create mismatches. Great speed and a play maker. I definitely want him in Cincy.

With RB, give me Bernard. He's one of my favorite players in this draft. He's a lot tougher than most people think. He has a very high ceiling and I think has the potential to be the best RB in this draft. Injury is a concern, but he's a very good play maker. I also like Lacy, but I like Bernard more.

With LB, obviously everyone likes Greene and Ogletree. And I think the Bengals should get Ogletree, but don't forget, there are other OLBs. Sean Porter could be a gem, he was more of a pass defended this year than years before. But he can definitely get to the QB. Gerald Hodges is also someone who could be a very solid player for years to come.

At safety, I always liked Byrd. Would be happy if the Bengals got him. But I want the Bengals to get Rambo. He's my favorite prospect in this draft, and is a turnover machine. Could you imagine this defense with more turnovers? They had 26 this season, with is tied for 22nd in the league (tied with 5 other teams). Also, I like Duke Williams. He had a nice Senior Bowl, and a very good cover safety. He's arguably the best with deep coverage.

And now offensive line. Just get rid of Cook, and let Robinson play. And draft a backup/someone to compete

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Bernard would be good but we'd have to take him in one because I think he'll be gone by two, and Lacy just doesn't have that homerun ability that I want our running back to have, plus I think he's overrated.

Burfict could be that guy and be the big, bad-*** intimadator that we need at MIKE.

He's said that he likes playing on the outside more, but I'd at least move him to SAM where he's in more plays.

Either way, we do need another backer early to put either at SAM or MIKE.

Elam's not bad and I like Rambo, but I also like Jefferson because I think that he could be our compact missle Troy P type because he can be into the backfield or up near the line making plays in a split-second, or he's also good in coverage- zone and man.

In 2011 (I think it was '11), he led Oklahoma in tackles from the safety position, and it's not like Oklahoma's a bunch of scrubs.

cougcoughcoughsomeonewantedJenkinscopughcough

It's too soon to give up on Dre, especially when you haven't even seen much of him in the NFL #2 spot, so I'm not real sure how you make that claim.

Dre has great bump-n-run skills, so I'm hoping that we see some of that, especially since our pass rush will force QBs to get rid of the ball quickly.

Even if Dre doesn't come through, we'd still have Pacman, who isn't exactly a slouch and was ranked in the top 20 (maybe even 15) in lowest percentage of firs downs/touchdowns given up (someone posted the rankings).

Having said all that, I'll be ****** if we go anywhere near a corner early, if at all.

With how many games Robinson played and how well he played, I think he has more than enough experience.

As for rookies, college is becoming so much like NFL football that it's not as big of a leap, and guy's like Jones and Frederick would make me comfortable with them stepping in to play (not sure I like anyone to play right away beyond those two).
Robinson stepped in and played well against some bad to average defenses. Look back against some great and physical defenses late in the year when they split time. Neither one of them played well at the end of the year. I think everybody forgets Robinson's struggles.

I just want to see a healthy Cook play with more experienced guards (I look at 2012 for Cook as non existent due to his injury and not being 100% as well as no time with Zeitler and very little with Boling who sat most of 2011.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 02-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 35

1. Vet # 2 Wr: Hartline or jennings. Bowe would be demanding alot of money and be great but I rather get Hartline or jenning.
2. Center : I think we should get Barrett Jones from Alabama with our 2a. pick in the draft. He's a beast and he played Tackle, Guard, and Center, he has great athleticism and versatility. I think he is a future pro bowler giving us not only one of the better o-lines in the NFL, but one of the youngest too.
3. Pass rusher ONLY if there if there is someone worthy available in the 1st rd (Dion Jordan). I really liked what the giants did with their D-line rotation by drafting JPP....they won the super bowl that yr . I think Dunlap might play better with less reps since he had his best year his rookie yr with less snaps.
4. Safety: I would get a strong safety in the 1st round or use our 2b pick on a safety, it's a deep class.
5.Linebacker: I would bring back rey (small contract) and maybe a veteran depending who, but there are several good FA linebackers. I think we should also draft a linebacker with our 1st or 2b (if we haven't used it yet). If we don't get a pass rusher in 1st, I would want Ogletree from Georgia. Very good sideline-sideline LB and very athletic but a little raw.
6. Rb: I think we should get reggie bush in FA, he can motion out of the backfield and be a threat in the slot, the speed back we need. I think we should also draft one with our 2b-4th rd pick.
7. Offensive Tackle: Re-sign Andre Smith and draft one in 3rd-4th rd.
As Bengals fans we should be excited, with a solid FA (sign #2 WR & #2RB ) and draft as we have been for the last 3yrs, we are going to be really good.

Last edited by phill32; 02-02-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill32 View Post
1. Vet # 2 Wr: Hartline or jennings. Bowe would be demanding alot of money and be great but I rather get Hartline or jenning.
2. Center : I think we should get Barrett Jones from Alabama with our 2a. pick in the draft. He's a beast and he played Tackle, Guard, and Center, he has great athleticism and versatility. I think he is a future pro bowler giving us not only one of the better o-lines in the NFL, but one of the youngest too.
3. Pass rusher ONLY if there if there is someone worthy available in the 1st rd (Dion Jordan). I really liked what the giants did with their D-line rotation by drafting JPP....they won the super bowl that yr . I think Dunlap might play better with less reps since he had his best year his rookie yr with less snaps.
4. Safety: I would get a strong safety in the 1st round or use our 2b pick on a safety, it's a deep class.
5.Linebacker: I would bring back rey (small contract) and maybe a veteran depending who, but there are several good FA linebackers. I think we should also draft a linebacker with our 1st or 2b (if we haven't used it yet). If we don't get a pass rusher in 1st, I would want Ogletree from Georgia. Very good sideline-sideline LB and very athletic but a little raw.
6. Rb: I think we should get reggie bush in FA, he can motion out of the backfield and be a threat in the slot, the speed back we need. I think we should also draft one with our 2b-4th rd pick.
7. Offensive Tackle: Re-sign Andre Smith and draft one in 3rd-4th rd.
As Bengals fans we should be excited, with a solid FA (sign #2 WR & #2RB ) and draft as we have been for the last 3yrs, we are going to be really good.
Good post and I agree with almost all of it.

I love your last sentence.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
I agree a proven vet would be alot better at this point since we have Sanu and Jones that can still be developed. If we bring in a proven threat like Greg Jennings that will probably be let go or Dwayne Bowe. Hell I would even settle for someone like Danny Amendola at this point.

At linebacker I would love to see someone like Justin Durant or Deandre Levy but I think one is going to stay in Detroit and the other is going to be pricey. I think someone like Daryl Smith who is aging but a great 4-3 linebacker would be amazing here.
I respect your opinion on these guys, but I don't want to sign a 30 year old Jennings. GB has a great offense and an even better QB. Jennings will be looking for big money and he played in 13 games last year and 8 this year. Has the smell of a FA that will get paid big money and fizzle off into the sunset.

Bowe is a wildcard, KC never gave him a QB worth a darn. He has some attitude problems but when you are losing all the time it happens. I also think Reid will get him to stick around.

Amendola I don't know much about, smaller guy but produces when healthy.

V.Jack last year is really the only FA WR that has made a big impact in a while.

The #2 thing is a hot topic, but Andre Johnson has never had a stud next to him, Calvin Johnson same. Housh took two-three years to turn into one of the best WR we had. Sanu has some skill and had he gotten more playing time at the start of the year over Binns and Tate, I don't think we would be so woried.

However if Patterson were at the top of our board when 21 roles around hmmmm.

D.Smith would be a good fit and give some stability to the LB's, 30 years old, but graded out as the second best 4-3 LB. Also frees up the draft some.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyLeisure View Post
My priority is drafting as many Georgia players as possible. Seems to be working for us so far.
This man has life figured out.

CINwillWIN is the man