Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22042
Default Needs to be replace, but won't be. Will be replaced, but doesn't need to be.

Predict one Bengal who you think needs to be replaced as a starter, call it 3 deep for WR's and CB's, but will not be. Then flip the tables and name a player who doesn't need to be replaced, but will be.

Brandon Tate. Many boneheaded mistakes in fielding kicks, costing the Bengals many yards, yet somehow his is not in Simmon's doghouse. I see this as an indictment of the Bengals ST coach as well, for the record, for trotting Tate out there constantly in spite of not knowing where to back up to and still field a kick and knowing when to let it sail over your head.

Doesn't need replaced, but will be? Nugent. Do not misunderstand, I think he isn't the best kicker in the world, but Brown's small sample is too small a body of work to simply move on from Mike. Plus imagine the hypocrisy presented in cutting lose a starter like the Nuge for a street free agent, yet allowing Cook to start over Robinson, or Maualuga to start over a practice pylon?

Last edited by BengalRugby; 02-03-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: bfine's catch
Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24174
Default Re: Needs to be replace, but won't be. Will be replaced, but doesn't need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Predict one Bengal who you think needs to be replaced as a starter, call it 3 deep for WR's and CB's, but will not be. Then flip the tables and name a player who needs to be replaced, but will not be.

Brandon Tate. Many boneheaded mistakes in fielding kicks, costing the Bengals many yards, yet somehow his is not in Simmon's doghouse. I see this as an indictment of the Bengals ST coach as well, for the record, for trotting Tate out there constantly in spite of not knowing where to back up to and still field a kick and knowing when to let it sail over your head.

Doesn't need replaced, but will be? Nugent. Do not misunderstand, I think he isn't the best kicker in the world, but Brown's small sample is too small a body of work to simply move on from Mike. Plus imagine the hypocrisy presented in cutting lose a starter like the Nuge for a street free agent, yet allowing Cook to start over Robinson, or Maualuga to start over a practice pylon?
Nearly 300 career FG attempts isn't a big enough body of work?
You act like Brown is a UDFA. He isn't.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7703
Default Re: Needs to be replace, but won't be. Will be replaced, but doesn't need to be.

Needs to be replaced, but won't be.
Kyle Cook, Nate Clements, Brandon Tate, and Taylor Mays.

Will be replaced , but doesn't need to be.
Adam Jones( ), Thomas Howard, and quite possibly Andre Smith or Mike Johnson.

Cook- He was dreadful coming back, maybe it was his injury maybe not, that said our offense was firing on all cylinders when Robinson was in, then sputtered with Cook.
Clements- He was good last year, not so good this year, plus he's going to be 34.
Tate- Refer to OP
Mays- He's a poor coverage guy, seemingly can't tackle properly and goes for big hits that result in penalties, time to move on.

Jones- I love Pacman, but after the past 2 seasons he's had he may want more than what Brown is willing to pay, plus he isn't great at generating turnovers.
Howard- This depends on what we do at MLB, if we slide Burfict there Howard should come back, if we draft a MLB or dip into FA, however his future is murky. If the latter happens it will come down to how the coaching staff feels about his injury.
Smith/Johnson- Ideally we keep both, however I personally don't think both players having their best seasons in a contract year was a coincidence. Plus Smith has that gun charge and our team is supposedly trying to get rid of the criminal image.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Needs to be replaced, but wont be:
Kyle Cook, C

I can't think of anyone that shouldn't be replaced but will be... Maybe Clint Boling?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22042

Sample size with the Bengals, obviously.

If his previous body of work was so great, why was he a street free agent? Rhetorically question, obviously, so as to avoid a hijack attempt...
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24174

Quote:

Sample size with the Bengals, obviously.

If his previous body of work was so great, why was he a street free agent? Rhetorically question, obviously, so as to avoid a hijack attempt...
Or to avoid debate.....but it happens all the time. He is 33 and still a good kicker but more expensive than other younger options for a lot of teams. Doesn't hold top priority.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Needs to be replaced but won't be: Chris Pressley. Can't think of anyone else who needs to be replaced...

Will be replaced but doesn't need to be: Geathers, Crocker, Bernard Scott
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16453
bengals Re: Needs to be replace, but won't be. Will be replaced, but doesn't need to be.

Quote:
....orMaualuga to start over a practice pylon?
LMFAO

I think Cook stays but needs to go. At the very least desreves competition.

I fear Geathers is gone but should stay. He is solid, but it doesnt show up in the stats.

A part of me fears Maualuga's return as well.

LMAO... a practice pylon.....
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19143

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
LMFAO

I think Cook stays but needs to go. At the very least desreves competition.

I fear Geathers is gone but should stay. He is solid, but it doesnt show up in the stats.

A part of me fears Maualuga's return as well.

LMAO... a practice pylon.....
Practice pylons everywhere are offended by the comparison.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Most of the guys I would list are Free Agents anyway.

As far as guys that are under contract I would say nobody needs to be replaced.

I guess you could argue Kyle Cook but the Bengals can be successful with him at Center.

A new Center will not vault this team into a contender.

A couple of play makers at the Free Agent spots would do nicely.

Easier said than done.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39302

Quote:
Predict one Bengal who you think needs to be replaced as a starter, call it 3 deep for WR's and CB's, but will not be. Then flip the tables and name a player who needs to be replaced, but will not be.
Isn't that the same thing?

WTS, Cook needs to be replaced, but will not be
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19118

this is kind of a loaded question.

What are we replacing them with? is it a hypothetical question or are you asking based on the available free agents/draft class?

Furthermore, what do you mean by "needs to be replaced?" In order to do what? Win a super bowl? Win a playoff game? Get into the playoffs?

Because Andy Dalton needs to be replaced if we want to win the super bowl. He doesn't need to be replaced if we want to win a playoff game or get into the playoffs. But he definitely won't be.

Marvin Jones and Andrew Hawkins need to be replaced by Sanu and Sanu needs to be replaced by an outside receiver if we want to win the superbowl. But not if we want to win a playoff game.

Peko needs to be replaced if we want to win a superbowl but not if we want to win a playoff game etc.

Who doesn't need to be replaced that will be?
Trevor Robinson. By Kyle Cook.

Clint Boling with Wharton.

BJGE with a drafted player.

Howard with a drafted player.

Mays with a drafted player.

Newman with Kirkpatrick.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7745

Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Needs to be replaced but won't;
1. Ben Green
2. Geathers
3. Rey
4. Peko
5. Crocker
6. Lawson
7. Tate
8. Gresham
Old 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28954

Needs replaced but won't be: Baby Hawk. I like him, but his lack of height (and reach) makes him a very small target. I looked it up and I couldn't find any receivers 5'7" or shorter that were used as much as Hawk, other than Jermaine Lewis a decade ago. Imo, we should get a new #2 and try Sanu in the slot.

Doesn't need replaced but will be: Andre Smith. I have a feeling he might decide to leave in FA.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Who doesn't need to be replaced that will be?

Clint Boling with Wharton.
You are 100% wrong. Wharton will not replace Boling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Doesn't need replaced but will be: Andre Smith. I have a feeling he might decide to leave in FA.
Wharton will replace Andre Smith for a year while the RT we draft in the third or fourth round gets up to NFL speed.

Last edited by fredtoast; 02-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
Needs to be replaced but won't;
1. Ben Green
2. Geathers
3. Rey
4. Peko
5. Crocker
6. Lawson
7. Tate
8. Gresham
1. Will be replaced for a lot of carries. He won't have over 200 carries next year.
2. Will be replaced. Might keep him around but he won't get many snaps
3. Will be replaced.
4. Does not need to be replaced.
5. Will be replaced.
6. Will be replaced.
7. Will be replaced.
8. Will not be replaced.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3270

Needs: Brandon Tate

Doesn't: Boling (Wharton starts at LG next year )
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Its Interesting to me that everyone has Cook needing replaced but no other lineman. We couldn't run the ball the 1st half of the year without Cook. The pass protection was spotty all year.

There has to be other players that are issues on the line.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17079

Need to be replaced, but won't be : Kyle Cook, = P. A.

Doesn't need replaced, but will be : Andre Smith, I think we don't re-sign him
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 863

I'm going to say Marvin Lewis. I'm ready for a new head coach.

You said bare your sole. Wait, you didn't mean the shoe? Well, when you hear I'm a Browns fan you'll understand.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22681

Cook is on the bubble, but chances are Marvin sticks with him. He shouldn't. I'd be all over T. Robinson right now, making sure he's in that weight room preparing for training camp. I don't want to have to draft an Olineman this season. Pay Andre! Don't cause more disruption to that line.

I don't see anyone getting replaced who shouldn't be. Maybe Newman, but if DreK's even close to being ready, you have to roll with him. He was the #1 guy a year ago.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36845

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Or to avoid debate.....but it happens all the time. He is 33 and still a good kicker but more expensive than other younger options for a lot of teams. Doesn't hold top priority.
He just keeps getting hurt, story of his career sadly. Cuz he's a good kicker with good range when healthy.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
You are 100% wrong. Wharton will not replace Boling.

Wharton will replace Andre Smith for a year while the RT we draft in the third or fourth round gets up to NFL speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Its Interesting to me that everyone has Cook needing replaced but no other lineman. We couldn't run the ball the 1st half of the year without Cook. The pass protection was spotty all year.

There has to be other players that are issues on the line.
Jeff Faine, then Robinson took over full time and we seemed to start clicking.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Cook is on the bubble, but chances are Marvin sticks with him. He shouldn't. I'd be all over T. Robinson right now, making sure he's in that weight room preparing for training camp. I don't want to have to draft an Olineman this season. Pay Andre! Don't cause more disruption to that line.

I don't see anyone getting replaced who shouldn't be. Maybe Newman, but if DreK's even close to being ready, you have to roll with him. He was the #1 guy a year ago.
No way will Mike Brown pay him what he'll ask, nor should he since he's not an elite tackle.