Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,680
Rep Points: 22936
bengals Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I think the majority of the board members would love to have either Bernard or Lacy. They are both considered the top two RBs in the draft for a reason. One excerpt that stood out to me though......

"There are some red flags on Giovani Bernard's game tape, however, and I wonder if they'll cause him to max out as a change-of-pace back in the pros. Bernard lacks power. He is not a tough runner through contact. Either Bernard doesn't have very strong legs or he simply doesn't know how to use them. On just one occasion -- against Duke -- did Bernard legitimately move a pile. You often hear about running backs that "fall forward," and max out their runs. Bernard doesn't consistently finish his runs and doesn't consistently fall forward. He was ineffective in short yardage, which probably means he'll be even less effective against bigger, stronger defensive front-seven members in those situations at the next level."

This is what separates Lacy from Bernard. Lacy knows how to use his legs, constantly driving for extra yards when tacklers gang up on him. I just dont see Bernard being an every down back; Lacy can be. I would much rather have Lacy, but I would not be disappointed at all with having Bernard!
Give me Michael, Franklin, or Gillislee. If you select Lacy that would mean get rid of Ellis because Lacy is the faster version.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
BobJones4980's Avatar
BobJones4980 BobJones4980 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,438
Rep Points: 2266
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Give me Michael, Franklin, or Gillislee. If you select Lacy that would mean get rid of Ellis because Lacy is the faster version.
More than just a faster version, an overall better version, actually has a few moves to make a guy miss instead of the same old bull rush into the CB or S that BJGE did so many times last year.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
hacker hacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,250
Rep Points: 1359
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I think the majority of the board members would love to have either Bernard or Lacy. They are both considered the top two RBs in the draft for a reason. One excerpt that stood out to me though......

"There are some red flags on Giovani Bernard's game tape, however, and I wonder if they'll cause him to max out as a change-of-pace back in the pros. Bernard lacks power. He is not a tough runner through contact. Either Bernard doesn't have very strong legs or he simply doesn't know how to use them. On just one occasion -- against Duke -- did Bernard legitimately move a pile. You often hear about running backs that "fall forward," and max out their runs. Bernard doesn't consistently finish his runs and doesn't consistently fall forward. He was ineffective in short yardage, which probably means he'll be even less effective against bigger, stronger defensive front-seven members in those situations at the next level."

This is what separates Lacy from Bernard. Lacy knows how to use his legs, constantly driving for extra yards when tacklers gang up on him. I just dont see Bernard being an every down back; Lacy can be. I would much rather have Lacy, but I would not be disappointed at all with having Bernard!
I want to see the difference in their 40 times and hen we'll see who rises to the top among the RBs
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM
hacker hacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,250
Rep Points: 1359
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
We should double up on backs. Grab Lacy early and get the scat later. We did it last year with DT, CB, WR's. It's a good time for rb. I like a Lacy/Gillislee combo. I don't see any of these change of pace backs having the speed we are all looking for. So go power early. Only issue with Lacy is Alabama backs have come much hyped, but disappointed recently.
I like that idea. We have worked out Robbie Rouse and spoken with him and he's about a 5th or 6th rd guy at 5'7". I'd like to see 2 of them.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM
topcat10 topcat10 is offline
Graduated Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Rep Points: 11
bengals Re: Giovanni Bernard

i like bernard but small i suggest you look at le'veon bell from micigan state he is not ron dayne bell can catch,6''2 242 he's a beast check him out on you tube
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Stewee28's Avatar
Stewee28 Stewee28 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cincy Burbs, Ohio
Posts: 695
Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I want to see the difference in their 40 times and hen we'll see who rises to the top among the RBs
So when Lacy runs the same 40 time that Bernard does, who do you go with? Lacy is going to run a high 4.4 40.

Lacy will still be the number one RB in the draft class, even if he does run a 4.5 40. He is all around a better back. Bigger, great balance, runs with unbelievable leg power, breaks tackles, catches out of the backfield and can be a three down back. I would take Lacy over Bernard any day of the week!
__________________

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:41 PM
09itsourtime's Avatar
09itsourtime 09itsourtime is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,476
Rep Points: 1294
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
So when Lacy runs the same 40 time that Bernard does, who do you go with? Lacy is going to run a high 4.4 40.

Lacy will still be the number one RB in the draft class, even if he does run a 4.5 40. He is all around a better back. Bigger, great balance, runs with unbelievable leg power, breaks tackles, catches out of the backfield and can be a three down back. I would take Lacy over Bernard any day of the week!
I would take bernard over lacy in a heartbeat.

Lacy is overhyped.
__________________
Stay Classy Cleveland, Stay Classy
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 AM
wizbengal21 wizbengal21 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 146
Rep Points: 59
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Montee ball in the third Leveon in the fourth
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 AM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,009
Rep Points: 24188
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
I would take bernard over lacy in a heartbeat.

Lacy is overhyped.
based on?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 AM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 21,558
Rep Points: 39320
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 AM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,684
Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Give me Michael, Franklin, or Gillislee. If you select Lacy that would mean get rid of Ellis because Lacy is the faster version.
That is such a terrible argument. OHHHH now we have two guys who could carry the load if need be... Better cut one.

NO. That will not happen.

BJGE is not getting cut no matter who we draft at HB. So all the people who keep saying that need to get it out of their minds. He signed a three year contract. And he will be here for the remainder of that contract.

Please give me a feasible reason why we would cut the one veteran HB we have that is capable of carrying the load... Because I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Just because we draft a guy who can run between the tackles doesn't mean we cut BJGE.

There isn't a concept going around on these boards that annoys me more than this one.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,680
Rep Points: 22936
bengals Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
That is such a terrible argument. OHHHH now we have two guys who could carry the load if need be... Better cut one.

NO. That will not happen.

BJGE is not getting cut no matter who we draft at HB. So all the people who keep saying that need to get it out of their minds. He signed a three year contract. And he will be here for the remainder of that contract.

Please give me a feasible reason why we would cut the one veteran HB we have that is capable of carrying the load... Because I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Just because we draft a guy who can run between the tackles doesn't mean we cut BJGE.

There isn't a concept going around on these boards that annoys me more than this one.
Do not remember asking you to agree. My opinion on the subject. Not sure what the contract of Ellis has to do with anything.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Well thankfully we don't have you calling the shots
Taking a back in the top 50 that's almost always dinged up, over 5'8" but under 210lbs, can't run away from college defenders in the open field, and isn't very powerful?

Sounds like a great prospect to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,117
Rep Points: 15159
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Give me Michael, Franklin, or Gillislee. If you select Lacy that would mean get rid of Ellis because Lacy is the faster version.
I guess I don't understand this thinking. Do we expect second round picks to come in and start immediately? I believe Green Ellis signed a 3 year contract so he has two years left.

Why couldn't Lacey spell Green Ellis? The Ravens just brought in Pierce to spell Rice and it seems to be working. I like the idea of having two fresh backs all season to wear down defenses.

Lacey would be a great pick in round 2 and then I still think we need to draft or get a better 3rd down back than Leonard.
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,684
Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Do not remember asking you to agree. My opinion on the subject. Not sure what the contract of Ellis has to do with anything.
You don't have to ask me to agree for me to give a rebuttal to an incorrect statement on a public message board.

Green Ellis' contract has everything to do with it. Since when did Mike Brown start cutting perfectly healthy veterans in the prime of their career who are under contract for reasonable salaries? What's that you say? Oh he doesn't. Especially a guy who just signed a three year contract the prior year that included 4 million guaranteed out of the 9 million total.

I like the way you dodged my initial request though.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
gardner30's Avatar
gardner30 gardner30 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,901
Rep Points: 4231
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

1st 40 time was 4.5
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM
jj22's Avatar
jj22 jj22 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 8,383
Rep Points: 13750
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Not many options for a speed back in this draft. And that's a shame because that's what we need.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
Not many options for a speed back in this draft. And that's a shame because that's what we need.
Stop using the term "speed back." That's not what we need.

We need a big play guy capable of making explosive plays who can get outside and also catch out of the backfield.

There are lots of those guys. Gio Bernard is very explosive. You are putting way too much stock in straight-ahead stopwatch-timed 40s. A RB never has a long run in a straight line right up the middle. It's all about making quick cuts, change of direction, having a burst, good vision, setting up defenders, etc
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Natikid873's Avatar
Natikid873 Natikid873 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen City
Posts: 1,112
Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Stop using the term "speed back." That's not what we need.

We need a big play guy capable of making explosive plays who can get outside and also catch out of the backfield.

There are lots of those guys. Gio Bernard is very explosive. You are putting way too much stock in straight-ahead stopwatch-timed 40s. A RB never has a long run in a straight line right up the middle. It's all about making quick cuts, change of direction, having a burst, good vision, setting up defenders, etc
Exactly, the 40 isn't completely irrelevant, but I'm way more intrigued in lateral movement and explosiveness, which is Gio Bernard in a nutshell
__________________

CINwillWIN is the man
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,688
Rep Points: 10380
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Still want Bernard in the 2nd. Easily.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Still want Bernard in the 2nd. Easily.
He's also built like a rock.

I hope he is available with our second pick, but I don't see him lasting that long.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,680
Rep Points: 22936
bengals Re: Giovanni Bernard

Christine Michael the package of speed and power.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM
BengalBuckeye BengalBuckeye is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 223
Rep Points: 152
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Christine Michael the package of speed and power.
To go along with attitude and injuries. I like him if he grows up and puts it all together. If he's there in 4 I take him.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
BengalBuckeye BengalBuckeye is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 223
Rep Points: 152
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Stop using the term "speed back." That's not what we need.

We need a big play guy capable of making explosive plays who can get outside and also catch out of the backfield.

There are lots of those guys. Gio Bernard is very explosive. You are putting way too much stock in straight-ahead stopwatch-timed 40s. A RB never has a long run in a straight line right up the middle. It's all about making quick cuts, change of direction, having a burst, good vision, setting up defenders, etc
We need someone who can take it to the house on any carry.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
We need someone who can take it to the house on any carry.
Yeah, a guy like Bernard can do that.

You're not going to take it to the house by running really fast in a straight line.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.