Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM
tottenham fan tottenham fan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 654
Rep Points: 833
bengals rookie of the year

i see our kevin didnt get any votes, oh yes i forgot he plays for the BENGALS!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 AM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,601
Rep Points: 8864
bengals Re: rookie of the year

Or because he's an offensive lineman, who got drafted in a ridiculously talented draft that had 6 Pro Bowlers in it, including 3 QBs... also one of those 6 was first team All Pro, and there was a second team All Pro who wasn't even included in those 6. And those 7 don't include the DROY/NFL tackle leader.

So I don't think Zeitler being a Bengal had anything to do with not getting any votes. I think that while he was a real good rookie, he simply wasn't dominant or impressive enough to get notice in such a talented group of rookies.
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: rookie of the year

If anyone had voted for Zeitler, they should have their head examined and immediately be banned from the voting process.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
yellowxdiscipline's Avatar
yellowxdiscipline yellowxdiscipline is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OBX
Posts: 8,912
Rep Points: 10170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
If anyone had voted for Zeitler, they should have their head examined and immediately be banned from the voting process.
Ok sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 16,189
Rep Points: 49822
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham fan View Post
i see our kevin didnt get any votes, oh yes i forgot he plays for the BENGALS!!

That's alright.

Much like Geno Atkins, he has the makings of an All-Pro by the 3rd year he's on the field.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
stonyhands's Avatar
stonyhands stonyhands is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Back in the USA
Posts: 1,922
Rep Points: 2777
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham fan View Post
i see our kevin didnt get any votes, oh yes i forgot he plays for the BENGALS!!
I'm really surprised Burfict did not receive a single vote for defensive rookie of the year. He wasn't a flashy draft pick but the guy had the biggest effect on a defense over any other defensive rookie in the league. Yeah the guy from Carolina led the league in tackles but what good was it when his team didn't make the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,995
Rep Points: 25864
bengals Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
If anyone had voted for Zeitler, they should have their head examined and immediately be banned from the voting process.
LMAO ......sorry but this is just an ignorant statement.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,878
Rep Points: 19103
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
I'm really surprised Burfict did not receive a single vote for defensive rookie of the year. He wasn't a flashy draft pick but the guy had the biggest effect on a defense over any other defensive rookie in the league. Yeah the guy from Carolina led the league in tackles but what good was it when his team didn't make the playoffs.
No he didn't.

Stop this nonsense; Lavonte David had an even better season than Burfict or Kuechly, and IMO Casey Hayward should have won DROY.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Millz's Avatar
Millz Millz is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,717
Rep Points: 22197
Default Re: rookie of the year

I can think of 5 rookies who would get the vote before Zeitler, 3 qbs and 2 rbs. And I have no issues with the droy votes.
__________________

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Still Clinging to Hope
Posts: 4,461
Rep Points: 14084
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
That's alright.

Much like Geno Atkins, he has the makings of an All-Pro by the 3rd year he's on the field.

Will take this over the ROY accolades any day.

Believe Zeitler will be a main stay on Bengals O-line for many, many years and help get them to the promised land as well.

Agree with others though that he may not have deserved to win the award.

But certainly was worthy of being mentioned via a vote or two.
__________________
14+18+25+32+85+82+12+84+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Natikid873's Avatar
Natikid873 Natikid873 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen City
Posts: 1,112
Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: rookie of the year

C'mon, in all seriousness, this has to be one of the most useless threads I've ever commented on. Zietler wasn't gonna get votes even if there wasn't 3 Pro Bowl rookie QB's with him. Does anyone here remember the last time an O-lineman won this award? If someone can find that out it would help because I have no freakin idea.
__________________

CINwillWIN is the man
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
yellowxdiscipline's Avatar
yellowxdiscipline yellowxdiscipline is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OBX
Posts: 8,912
Rep Points: 10170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
LMAO ......sorry but this is just an ignorant statement.
Everything from him is ignorant
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
finso's Avatar
finso finso is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NKY
Posts: 2,861
Rep Points: 2804
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham fan View Post
i see our kevin didnt get any votes, oh yes i forgot he plays for the BENGALS!!
I think fans should be more concerned with the other first rounder. The one of only a few 1st rounders who had zero impact for their team.
The only one that came into camp without a chance to play because of lack of abiltity.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 7,117
Rep Points: 13576
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Does anyone here remember the last time an O-lineman won this award? If someone can find that out it would help because I have no freakin idea.
I'm not the most up to date on these kind of things, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say ****ing never.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 7,117
Rep Points: 13576
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
I think fans should be more concerned with the other first rounder. The one of only a few 1st rounders who had zero impact for their team.
The only one that came into camp without a chance to play because of lack of abiltity.
Seriously? Where the hell do you people come up with this nonsense?

It's been said so many times, it should be tattooed onto your forehead - good teams usually don't need their rookies to immediately come in; especially a position like corner that has a nasty learning curve for rookies. And it had nothing to do with his abilities - he had bone spurs in his knee. You ever had a bone spur? You ever had one in your knee? You ever had one in your knee and your job relies on your quickness and burst?

Seriously - at this point I assume you're spouting hate just because it's the only way you can say anything that garners a response.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 13,207
Rep Points: 26110
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
If anyone had voted for Zeitler, they should have their head examined and immediately be banned from the voting process.
Only Bengals fans would even think of voting for him. Even then, it would only be the most homery Bengals fans that would do it. Although Zeitler had a great year, he didn't even belong in the ROY conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Carolinabengalfanguy's Avatar
Carolinabengalfanguy Carolinabengalfanguy is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,464
Rep Points: 3250
Seahawk Re: rookie of the year

Well we had:

Russell Wilson QB Seattle Seahawks - He should have been closer than he was.
Robert Griffin III QB Washington Redskins - Did very well and worth winning I just thought Wilson surprised everyone as a 5'11" 3rd round rookie.
Andrew Luck QB Indianapolis Colts - Definitely had a great rookie season, but disappointed somewhat because of the ridiculous expectations thrown on him predraft.

Alfred Morris RB Washington Redskins - Huge surprise and one of the best RB's this season, although me on the east coast I didn't know he was doing as we'll as he was.
Doug Martin RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Great rookie season. We should have taken him in hindsight.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 13,207
Rep Points: 26110
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
I'm not the most up to date on these kind of things, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say ****ing never.
Your guess would be correct. Only QB's, WR's, and RB's have won this award.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM
finso's Avatar
finso finso is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NKY
Posts: 2,861
Rep Points: 2804
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Seriously? Where the hell do you people come up with this nonsense?

It's been said so many times, it should be tattooed onto your forehead - good teams usually don't need their rookies to immediately come in; especially a position like corner that has a nasty learning curve for rookies. And it had nothing to do with his abilities - he had bone spurs in his knee. You ever had a bone spur? You ever had one in your knee? You ever had one in your knee and your job relies on your quickness and burst?

Seriously - at this point I assume you're spouting hate just because it's the only way you can say anything that garners a response.
Good teams don't need players to come in and play immediately?
Like I said earlier in the room. Teams select 1st rounders to have an impact right away and most did. Believe it or not, Even on good teams.

And you say corner has a huge learning curve? Like the one Gilmore,Claiborne, Jenkins and Harrsin Smith had to hurdle?
And Swagger wasn't expected to start from the end of camp when they basically said he was a 1st round project. This team went after every washed up DB they could in the offseason to fill a huge need. A good 1st round corner would have started for this team on day 1.
And don't get your feelings hurt because of the facts I state. Get used to it. You'll get that a lot from me around here.

Last edited by finso; 02-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Carolinabengalfanguy's Avatar
Carolinabengalfanguy Carolinabengalfanguy is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,464
Rep Points: 3250
drunk Re: rookie of the year

We're there any awesome receivers in this draft? I mean the skill guy would have to be terrible for a lineman to win and Idk if that will ever happen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 7,117
Rep Points: 13576
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
Good teams don't need players to come in and play immediately?
Like I said earlier in the room. Teams select 1st rounders to have an impact right away and most did. Believe it or not, Even on good teams.

And you say corner has a huge learning curve? Like the one Gilmore,Claiborne, Jenkins and Harrsin Smith had to hurdle?
And Swagger wasn't expected to start from the end of camp when they basically said he was a 1st round project. This team went after every washed up DB they could in the offseason to fill a huge need. A good 1st round corner would have started for this team on day 1.
And don't get your feelings hurt because of the facts I state. Get used to it. You'll get that a lot from me around here.
How many 1st rounders came in and immediately made an impact? RG3, Andrew Luck, Kuechly, Zietler, and Martin. The tackle drafted by Minnesota, maybe? Those corners you listed - mostly struggled. Don't believe me? Get someone with a PFF account to look it up, but just the snapshot you can get for free says it (can't link - phone).

The only ability Kirkpatrick doesn't have is the ability to effectively back-pedal. Oh man - such a huge hurdle. They didn't need him to play anyways since Hall and Newman made a damn good tandem, and Jones wasn't exactly lackluster either. Dre may not have been who the Bengals had at the top of their corner list, but to try and say he was some sort of project because he doesn't have the ability to play is just insane. The dude can ball and showed it on the few games he played - even Peyton Manning (a veteran who would pick on a rookie CB if he thought it'd help) didn't challenge him a whole lot. But since most posters here have a selective memory, I'll just assume you forgot about that game.

Your 'facts' don't hurt anyone's feelings - I just get headaches everytime I read something as stupid as someone saying Kirkpatrick doesn't have the abilities to play at this level.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
Good teams don't need players to come in and play immediately?
Like I said earlier in the room. Teams select 1st rounders to have an impact right away and most did. Believe it or not, Even on good teams.

And you say corner has a huge learning curve? Like the one Gilmore,Claiborne, Jenkins and Harrsin Smith had to hurdle?
And Swagger wasn't expected to start from the end of camp when they basically said he was a 1st round project. This team went after every washed up DB they could in the offseason to fill a huge need. A good 1st round corner would have started for this team on day 1.
And don't get your feelings hurt because of the facts I state. Get used to it. You'll get that a lot from me around here.
Kirkpatrick could have come in and played great for this team if he was needed (and if he was healthy, which he wasn't.)Fortunately, we had about four other 1st round draft pick corners with more experience playing in front of him. Including multiple pro-bowl players. Very ignorant to assume just because a player didn't receive playing time that he wasn't good enough to play if needed. If he was on another team, he likely would have gotten plenty of playing time.

To think Kirkpatrick lacks ability is beyond stupidity. But we've become accustomed to that from you. Don't think you have ever been correct about anything.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,322
Rep Points: 7973
Default Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
I'm really surprised Burfict did not receive a single vote for defensive rookie of the year. He wasn't a flashy draft pick but the guy had the biggest effect on a defense over any other defensive rookie in the league. Yeah the guy from Carolina led the league in tackles but what good was it when his team didn't make the playoffs.
It's not a team award. It recognizes ONE player's accomplishments.
__________________

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Rattler's Avatar
Rattler Rattler is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edgewood
Posts: 7,862
Rep Points: 10037
Default Re: rookie of the year

Luck > RG III
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,884
Rep Points: 8983
Default Re: rookie of the year

No offense...but most people outside of Cincy probably couldn't tell how good Zeitler was. Lineman don't have visible stats like other positions.

The casual fan would probably say DeCastro was better. Its just the nature of the position and lack of national attention the Bengals have.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.