Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 833
bengals rookie of the year

i see our kevin didnt get any votes, oh yes i forgot he plays for the BENGALS!!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8864
bengals Re: rookie of the year

Or because he's an offensive lineman, who got drafted in a ridiculously talented draft that had 6 Pro Bowlers in it, including 3 QBs... also one of those 6 was first team All Pro, and there was a second team All Pro who wasn't even included in those 6. And those 7 don't include the DROY/NFL tackle leader.

So I don't think Zeitler being a Bengal had anything to do with not getting any votes. I think that while he was a real good rookie, he simply wasn't dominant or impressive enough to get notice in such a talented group of rookies.

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595
Default Re: rookie of the year

If anyone had voted for Zeitler, they should have their head examined and immediately be banned from the voting process.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
If anyone had voted for Zeitler, they should have their head examined and immediately be banned from the voting process.
Ok sure.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49822

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham fan View Post

That's alright.

Much like Geno Atkins, he has the makings of an All-Pro by the 3rd year he's on the field.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2777

Quote:
I'm really surprised Burfict did not receive a single vote for defensive rookie of the year. He wasn't a flashy draft pick but the guy had the biggest effect on a defense over any other defensive rookie in the league. Yeah the guy from Carolina led the league in tackles but what good was it when his team didn't make the playoffs.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25864
bengals Re: rookie of the year

Quote:
LMAO ......sorry but this is just an ignorant statement.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19103

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
I'm really surprised Burfict did not receive a single vote for defensive rookie of the year. He wasn't a flashy draft pick but the guy had the biggest effect on a defense over any other defensive rookie in the league. Yeah the guy from Carolina led the league in tackles but what good was it when his team didn't make the playoffs.
No he didn't.

Stop this nonsense; Lavonte David had an even better season than Burfict or Kuechly, and IMO Casey Hayward should have won DROY.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 22197

I can think of 5 rookies who would get the vote before Zeitler, 3 qbs and 2 rbs. And I have no issues with the droy votes.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 14084

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
That's alright.

Much like Geno Atkins, he has the makings of an All-Pro by the 3rd year he's on the field.

Will take this over the ROY accolades any day.

Believe Zeitler will be a main stay on Bengals O-line for many, many years and help get them to the promised land as well.

Agree with others though that he may not have deserved to win the award.

But certainly was worthy of being mentioned via a vote or two.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

C'mon, in all seriousness, this has to be one of the most useless threads I've ever commented on. Zietler wasn't gonna get votes even if there wasn't 3 Pro Bowl rookie QB's with him. Does anyone here remember the last time an O-lineman won this award? If someone can find that out it would help because I have no freakin idea.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10170

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
LMAO ......sorry but this is just an ignorant statement.
Everything from him is ignorant
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
I think fans should be more concerned with the other first rounder. The one of only a few 1st rounders who had zero impact for their team.
The only one that came into camp without a chance to play because of lack of abiltity.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Does anyone here remember the last time an O-lineman won this award? If someone can find that out it would help because I have no freakin idea.
I'm not the most up to date on these kind of things, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say ****ing never.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
I think fans should be more concerned with the other first rounder. The one of only a few 1st rounders who had zero impact for their team.
The only one that came into camp without a chance to play because of lack of abiltity.
Seriously? Where the hell do you people come up with this nonsense?

It's been said so many times, it should be tattooed onto your forehead - good teams usually don't need their rookies to immediately come in; especially a position like corner that has a nasty learning curve for rookies. And it had nothing to do with his abilities - he had bone spurs in his knee. You ever had a bone spur? You ever had one in your knee? You ever had one in your knee and your job relies on your quickness and burst?

Seriously - at this point I assume you're spouting hate just because it's the only way you can say anything that garners a response.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26110

Quote:
Only Bengals fans would even think of voting for him. Even then, it would only be the most homery Bengals fans that would do it. Although Zeitler had a great year, he didn't even belong in the ROY conversation.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250
Seahawk Re: rookie of the year

Well we had:

Russell Wilson QB Seattle Seahawks - He should have been closer than he was.
Robert Griffin III QB Washington Redskins - Did very well and worth winning I just thought Wilson surprised everyone as a 5'11" 3rd round rookie.
Andrew Luck QB Indianapolis Colts - Definitely had a great rookie season, but disappointed somewhat because of the ridiculous expectations thrown on him predraft.

Alfred Morris RB Washington Redskins - Huge surprise and one of the best RB's this season, although me on the east coast I didn't know he was doing as we'll as he was.
Doug Martin RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Great rookie season. We should have taken him in hindsight.....
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
I'm not the most up to date on these kind of things, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say ****ing never.
Your guess would be correct. Only QB's, WR's, and RB's have won this award.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Seriously? Where the hell do you people come up with this nonsense?

It's been said so many times, it should be tattooed onto your forehead - good teams usually don't need their rookies to immediately come in; especially a position like corner that has a nasty learning curve for rookies. And it had nothing to do with his abilities - he had bone spurs in his knee. You ever had a bone spur? You ever had one in your knee? You ever had one in your knee and your job relies on your quickness and burst?

Seriously - at this point I assume you're spouting hate just because it's the only way you can say anything that garners a response.
Good teams don't need players to come in and play immediately?
Like I said earlier in the room. Teams select 1st rounders to have an impact right away and most did. Believe it or not, Even on good teams.

And you say corner has a huge learning curve? Like the one Gilmore,Claiborne, Jenkins and Harrsin Smith had to hurdle?
And Swagger wasn't expected to start from the end of camp when they basically said he was a 1st round project. This team went after every washed up DB they could in the offseason to fill a huge need. A good 1st round corner would have started for this team on day 1.
And don't get your feelings hurt because of the facts I state. Get used to it. You'll get that a lot from me around here.

Last edited by finso; 02-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250
drunk Re: rookie of the year

We're there any awesome receivers in this draft? I mean the skill guy would have to be terrible for a lineman to win and Idk if that will ever happen.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Like I said earlier in the room. Teams select 1st rounders to have an impact right away and most did. Believe it or not, Even on good teams.

And you say corner has a huge learning curve? Like the one Gilmore,Claiborne, Jenkins and Harrsin Smith had to hurdle?
And Swagger wasn't expected to start from the end of camp when they basically said he was a 1st round project. This team went after every washed up DB they could in the offseason to fill a huge need. A good 1st round corner would have started for this team on day 1.
And don't get your feelings hurt because of the facts I state. Get used to it. You'll get that a lot from me around here.
How many 1st rounders came in and immediately made an impact? RG3, Andrew Luck, Kuechly, Zietler, and Martin. The tackle drafted by Minnesota, maybe? Those corners you listed - mostly struggled. Don't believe me? Get someone with a PFF account to look it up, but just the snapshot you can get for free says it (can't link - phone).

The only ability Kirkpatrick doesn't have is the ability to effectively back-pedal. Oh man - such a huge hurdle. They didn't need him to play anyways since Hall and Newman made a damn good tandem, and Jones wasn't exactly lackluster either. Dre may not have been who the Bengals had at the top of their corner list, but to try and say he was some sort of project because he doesn't have the ability to play is just insane. The dude can ball and showed it on the few games he played - even Peyton Manning (a veteran who would pick on a rookie CB if he thought it'd help) didn't challenge him a whole lot. But since most posters here have a selective memory, I'll just assume you forgot about that game.

Your 'facts' don't hurt anyone's feelings - I just get headaches everytime I read something as stupid as someone saying Kirkpatrick doesn't have the abilities to play at this level.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:

Kirkpatrick could have come in and played great for this team if he was needed (and if he was healthy, which he wasn't.)Fortunately, we had about four other 1st round draft pick corners with more experience playing in front of him. Including multiple pro-bowl players. Very ignorant to assume just because a player didn't receive playing time that he wasn't good enough to play if needed. If he was on another team, he likely would have gotten plenty of playing time.

To think Kirkpatrick lacks ability is beyond stupidity. But we've become accustomed to that from you. Don't think you have ever been correct about anything.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7973

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
It's not a team award. It recognizes ONE player's accomplishments.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10037

Luck > RG III
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

No offense...but most people outside of Cincy probably couldn't tell how good Zeitler was. Lineman don't have visible stats like other positions.

The casual fan would probably say DeCastro was better. Its just the nature of the position and lack of national attention the Bengals have.