Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29767
Default Does anyone have a plasma TV?

My wife and I will be buying a new TV in March. From the research I have done it would appear that plasma provides the best picture. The concern is from glare or bright lighting. If you have a plasma, especially a newer one, how much difference does it really make?

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 53910
Default Re: Does anyone have a plasma TV?

I have a 2 year old 50" LG plasma, and really can't imagine having a better picture quality. Color, resolution, contrast are all to my liking whether daytime in a natural bright room, or dark room. No disappointments to date.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 44140

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
I have a 2 year old 50" LG plasma, and really can't imagine having a better picture quality. Color, resolution, contrast are all to my liking whether daytime in a natural bright room, or dark room. No disappointments to date.
Plasma rules

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

I have a 55 inch plasma and a 46 inch LED TV.

The plasma is sweet but I like the LED one a little more. The images just seem crisper on it and it's not as dark looking as the plasma although the plasma TV can display true black (the LED just looks like a really dark grey) the LED seems to show a more true color.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51750

I used to sell my plasma when I was in college. I had no idea they were using it to make TVs.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
the plasma TV can display true black....

the LED seems to show a more true color.
Racist?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
My wife and I will be buying a new TV in March. From the research I have done it would appear that plasma provides the best picture. The concern is from glare or bright lighting. If you have a plasma, especially a newer one, how much difference does it really make?

Former TV salesman. Plasmas give you the best picture hands down. It's all about having the truest black levels. You want to see shades of grey, not some crazy bright black (LCD/LCD-LED). Combine that with truer motion handling and you are going to love it.

Panasonic makes the best ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 36

I totally have to agree that plasma is the best....i did my own research and waited a full year before i got the TV i wanted....A 50' Panasonic...it's in my basement so there's no glare and i LOVE it...worth the wait...can't wait to move to a new house so i can justify buying a new one for a new "man cave"! Think i'll go "biggest and best" with that one...again Panasonic!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I have a 55 inch plasma and a 46 inch LED TV.

The plasma is sweet but I like the LED one a little more. The images just seem crisper on it and it's not as dark looking as the plasma although the plasma TV can display true black (the LED just looks like a really dark grey) the LED seems to show a more true color.
The increased blue level and colors are more appealing to your eyes. The sharpness is, if you're interested in the best picture quality, something you don't want. You want that softer looking image.It's more natural.

Quote:
-----------
Quote:
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
--------
Quote:
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

new models will roll out around March. You can usually find good deals on the older models then.

Quote:
-----------
Quote:
Quote:
--------
Quote:

Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensLover69 View Post
Former TV salesman. Plasmas give you the best picture hands down. It's all about having the truest black levels. You want to see shades of grey, not some crazy bright black (LCD/LCD-LED). Combine that with truer motion handling and you are going to love it.

Panasonic makes the best ones.
The Panasonic 65" is the one I am looking at.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11779

Quote:
Ours is about 5 years old...we use it in a finished basement and never had a problem even with the lights on full.

Sadly it gets used more for the kids XBOX 360 and movie watching now that they are older.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 88891

Quote:
Which model? The reason I ask is that the top of line models have a THX certified mode which makes professional calibration pretty much unnecessary. You'll never have to adjust any settings for the best picture quality. For the 2012 models, only the VT50 and GT50 models have the THX mode.

It's a really, really nice feature but obviously not completely necessary. A nice pro. calibration can be had for around $150, should you go with a non-THX mode plasma.

I also think the anti-reflective coating is of varying quality across the models, but I could be wrong. Here are the spec. comparisons on all Panasonic plasmas for 2012, but unfortunately details on the anti-reflective coating are no where to be found: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&output=html

I own a 2010 plasma which is equivalent to the 2012 GT50 model, but is lacking the 3D capabilities. Best purchase I ever made. The picture quality is absolutely stunning.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookdogg7 View Post
Which model? The reason I ask is that the top of line models have a THX certified mode which makes professional calibration pretty much unnecessary. You'll never have to adjust any settings for the best picture quality. For the 2012 models, only the VT50 and GT50 models have the THX mode.

It's a really, really nice feature but obviously not completely necessary. A nice pro. calibration can be had for around $150, should you go with a non-THX mode plasma.

I also think the anti-reflective coating is of varying quality across the models, but I could be wrong. Here are the spec. comparisons on all Panasonic plasmas for 2012, but unfortunately details on the anti-reflective coating are no where to be found: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&output=html

I own a 2010 plasma which is equivalent to the 2012 GT50 model, but is lacking the 3D capabilities. Best purchase I ever made. The picture quality is absolutely stunning.
the G10 was my absolute favorite. The use of the pioneer panels looks amazing. We had this awesome demo from them on it of a polar bear swimming. We sold more than the rest of the district combined and got yelled at (less margin on a plasma). Had the in laws buy one.

Quote:
-----------
Quote:
Quote:
--------
Quote:

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm out of the game in terms of specifics, but the VT is what I hear to be the mack daddy (GT just having some minor differences) . I don't really care about 3D (just a gimmick as we saw in the 50s and 80s) but the THX mode and the use of pioneers technology makes it awesome.

Also, 65" will look sick.

Quote:
-----------
Quote:
Quote:
--------
Quote:

Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Okay....I've read about the professional calibration issue before, but nothing was mentioned about this being necessary when I bought my LG. I put it in my truck, took it home, set it up, explored all of possible settings and settled on the what I'll call factory pre-sets - have enjoyed what seems to be a great picture ever since. What have I missed here?

Clueless in Cincinnati
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Okay....I've read about the professional calibration issue before, but nothing was mentioned about this being necessary when I bought my LG. I put it in my truck, took it home, set it up, explored all of possible settings and settled on the what I'll call factory pre-sets - have enjoyed what seems to be a great picture ever since. What have I missed here?

Clueless in Cincinnati
Quote:
Here are the services included in a typical calibration:

Direct-view and flat-panel TVs: Set grayscale to the NTSC standard of 6,500 Kelvin, improving color accuracy of the entire palette; set contrast, brightness, color, and so on using test patterns designed specifically for each of these controls; optimize overscan and picture position, enabling display of more of the incoming picture; correct "red push" in the color decoder when possible; optimize all DVD input sources using DVD test patterns and HDTV input using an HDTV test-pattern signal generator.

....If you're on a budget, we recommend you first purchase one of the test discs and follow its DIY calibration procedure. If afterward you still feel like your set isn't performing as well as it should or you simply want to guarantee the best picture, you should get a calibration.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739-4.html

Bottom line, if you're currently happy with the picture, save your money. If you're still curious as to what you may be missing in terms of picture quality, you could try a self calibration disc like this one for under $20 first: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739-4.html

Bottom line, if you're currently happy with the picture, save your money. If you're still curious as to what you may be missing in terms of picture quality, you could try a self calibration disc like this one for under $20 first: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Great info! Thanks much; guess I'll be getting the dvd to satisfy curiosity. After all, better is ..... better!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

The GT50

This one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...=1218599348788

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Great info! Thanks much; guess I'll be getting the dvd to satisfy curiosity. After all, better is ..... better!
Might as well, at the very least you'll get peace of mind for under $20. It's a bargain!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

I did a comparison of the GT50 and the VT50. The VT cost $400 more (normal price) but I didn't see anything different in the specs that is worth $400 to me. So what is different that IS worth $400?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Sweet!

If I was in the market for another tv right now, that'd be the one I'd go with as well. You'll love the THX mode. I use it for everything, whether it's sports, movies or games. I'm sure they've made advances in the anti-reflective coating since I purchased mine, but again even mine is less reflective than old CRTs (non HDTVs). I do tend to keep my viewing area darker than most people, but if you never had problem with lighting with an old school tv, you shouldn't have one with a plasma.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I did a comparison of the GT50 and the VT50. The VT cost $400 more (normal price) but I didn't see anything different in the specs that is worth $400 to me. So what is different that IS worth $400?
Quote:
The flagship VT50, meanwhile, gets an Infinite Black Ultra Panel, improved louvre filter, 96Hz mode and touch-pad remote that the GT50 lacks.
Quote:
Along with the VT50 from Panasonic's own line, LG and Samsung both offer 10-point (or higher) grayscale settings, along with full color management, in their plasmas -- making the GT50 the least calibration-friendly plasma at its price point.
Quote:
There's no meaningful difference between the GT50 and the ST50's picture after both are properly calibrated. Both are outstanding performers, among the best plasma TVs I've ever tested, and just shy of the picture afforded by the much less affordable TC-PVT50 series. Samsung's PNE6500 and PNE8000 scored the same as ST50 and the GT50 in this category, but I'd pick the Panasonics because of their slightly better light output (at least compared with the 60-inch Samsungs).
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35123233.html

Not worth the $400, imo. I don't even know what 96hz mode is, you don't need a touch-pad remote, and you'll probably find calibration is unnecessary
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

96hz mode supposedly produces slightly better black, and reduces ghosting in 3D according to this: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281839
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8409

Add a ceiling mount to whatever screen you buy, believe me, you won't regret it, miles ahead of a wall mount.