Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6883
bengals Proof People Exaggerate About FA

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-team/page/31

So I came across this article, which is fairly interesting.. but then I noticed something.

-Tampa Bay, who signed both Vincent Jackson AND Carl Nicks last offseason, still have $31.3m in cap space.
-Philadelphia, who signed ALL those FA awhile back, AND vastly and grossly overpaid for an overrated Vick (he's making $15.5m in 2013), have still managed to have $5.2m in cap space...
-Chicago, who signed Julius Peppers to that big contract in FA, traded for Jay Cutler who's now making $10m a year.. and then traded for Brandon Marshall who's making $9m+ a year.. they're $13.3m under the cap.
-Buffalo, who gave that huge extension to Fitzpatrick, and signed Mario Williams to that huge contract in FA, has $20.6m in cap space.
-Denver signed Manning to that $100m contract.. and they still managed to have $18.5m in cap space.
-Houston who stole JJo from the Bengals, still managed to find a way to be $12.9m under the cap.

Then I saw something else...

-Pittsburgh who is the "model franchise" of growing your own and not signing high FAs is currently $10.8m OVER the cap.
-Carolina, who hasn't gone for any big FAs, and just signed their own is $11.8m over the cap.
-Detroit also hasn't gone for any big name FAs and they're $1.1m over the cap.

So either these numbers have been completely made up, or someone has been feeding everyone a whole lot of BS about how disastrous signing high tier FAs are. Because I am looking at a lot of teams that only sign their own who are in horrible cap troubles, and I am looking at a lot of teams who have recently signed high tier FAs to big contracts who have loads of space.

So don't tell me that the Bengals can't afford to do anything more than sign their own with $55m (which actually represents over 1/7th of all the cap space in the NFL in 2013) and high tier FAs are out of reach for the team financially. (Looking at you Hobson, Reedy, and all the people who blindly believe what they say.)

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Proof People Exaggerate About FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post

So I came across this article, which is fairly interesting.. but then I noticed something.

-Tampa Bay, who signed both Vincent Jackson AND Carl Nicks last offseason, still have $31.3m in cap space.
-Philadelphia, who signed ALL those FA awhile back, AND vastly and grossly overpaid for an overrated Vick (he's making $15.5m in 2013), have still managed to have $5.2m in cap space...
-Chicago, who signed Julius Peppers to that big contract in FA, traded for Jay Cutler who's now making $10m a year.. and then traded for Brandon Marshall who's making $9m+ a year.. they're $13.3m under the cap.
-Buffalo, who gave that huge extension to Fitzpatrick, and signed Mario Williams to that huge contract in FA, has $20.6m in cap space.
-Denver signed Manning to that $100m contract.. and they still managed to have $18.5m in cap space.
-Houston who stole JJo from the Bengals, still managed to find a way to be $12.9m under the cap.

-Pittsburgh who is the "model franchise" of growing your own and not signing high FAs is currently $10.8m OVER the cap.
-Carolina, who hasn't gone for any big FAs, and just signed their own is $11.8m over the cap.

So either these numbers have been completely made up, or someone has been feeding everyone a whole lot of BS about how disastrous signing high tier FAs are. Because I am looking at a lot of teams that only sign their own who are in horrible cap troubles, and I am looking at a lot of teams who have recently signed high tier FAs to big contracts who have loads of space.

So don't tell me that the Bengals can't afford to do anything more than sign their own with $55m (which actually represents over 1/7th of all the cap space in the NFL in 2013) and high tier FAs are out of reach for the team financially. (Looking at you Hobson, Reedy, and all the people who blindly believe what they say.)

Mike has to do some spending.

I'd like it if he let MJ walk & sign Cliff Avril. Then sign Reggie Bush, & sign OLB/DE Shaun Phillips.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22362
bengals Re: Proof People Exaggerate About FA

Quote:

Pittsburgh has a rather veteran team. Guess what that means? Guys on multiple contracts and being paid pretty good salaries. Detroit was miss managed by Matt Millen. But how did those big signings workout for Buffalo and Tampa?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post

I'd like it if he let MJ walk & sign Cliff Avril. Then sign Reggie Bush, & sign OLB/DE Shaun Phillips.
Sure am glad you are not making personnel decisions.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Pittsburgh has a rather veteran team. Guess what that means? Guys on multiple contracts and being paid pretty good salaries. Detroit was miss managed by Matt Millen. But how did those big signings workout for Buffalo and Tampa?
On the flip side, how has NOT signing top tier FAs worked out for this team?
I wouldn't consider playoff appearances a success. Maybe a good move in the right direction.

Just because you see some other teams fail every now and then doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

BTW: VJax had a career year in yards, and almost tied his career high in TD catches. That's all you can ask for out of a top tier FA; to perform to the best of their ability relative to the team talent. Freeman has been average at best the last couple seasons, so Jackson having the year he did was even more impressive.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17011

Quote:

Stop with this Avril BS; he's older, worse at every aspect, and a malcontent.

Shut up.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38828

Quote:

Didn't they just recently give Vanden Bosch and Tulloch some pretty big money?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19004

Quote:

Do you just copy and paste this drivel into every single thread? How much is enough? Are we getting close yet?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8675

Quote:

You'd be an awful general manager.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7695

Quote:

Cliff Avril is NOT better than Mike Johnson, just stop with that. I'm starting to think you're an alt for Sham69Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Sure am glad you are not making personnel decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Didn't they just recently give Vanden Bosch and Tulloch some pretty big money?
Not really Tulloch is making 3.5 Million in 2013 and KVB is making 5 Million. It's Stafford's ridiculous rookie deal.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

Everyone who says Avril is better than MJ obviously hasn't watched him play much.

Dude has a big mouth and wants way too much. MJ will very likely take a fair deal and stay. He likes it here and has been nothing but a good influence on this team.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 48928

Quote:

Pitt— several veteran guys in the top third at their position who have been with the team for years and have a handful of rings.
Carolina— Stunk management-wise.
Detroit—Stunk management-wise and had several top 15 picks pre-CBA that rangled rookie contracts in.

Notable others:
Denver— McCoach got rid of their big contracts for them. And half their talent.
Chicago— Yup. You named the three people making money in Chicago. And about the only halfway decent players. Not much talent, not much money spread around.
Buffalo— Much like Chicago, they've got a handful of decent guys making big paychecks and the rest of the team could be replaced.
Phili— Good management and stable rosters so they didn't have to throw money around until lately when they hit panic mode.

Many of our FA's are worth re-signing. And if we do, it'll take a big portion of that $55 million. All? Of course not. But the majority of it, even if we let a few of the lesser talented guys walk.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
Pitt— several veteran guys in the top third at their position who have been with the team for years and have a handful of rings.
Carolina— Stunk management-wise.
Detroit—Stunk management-wise and had several top 15 picks pre-CBA that rangled rookie contracts in.

Notable others:
Denver— McCoach got rid of their big contracts for them. And half their talent.
Chicago— Yup. You named the three people making money in Chicago. And about the only halfway decent players. Not much talent, not much money spread around.
Buffalo— Much like Chicago, they've got a handful of decent guys making big paychecks and the rest of the team could be replaced.
Phili— Good management and stable rosters so they didn't have to throw money around until lately when they hit panic mode.

Many of our FA's are worth re-signing. And if we do, it'll take a big portion of that $55 million. All? Of course not. But the majority of it, even if we let a few of the lesser talented guys walk.
Well, a majority is technically $27.6m, so that wouldn't be hard to do...

But I get your point, the thing is.. the reason why people don't think the Bengals can chase any FA is because the Bengals do contracts completely different than anyone else. They pay a lot of money up front, they don't back load contracts at all so they can cut a player and dump his high salary if he's not performing well enough. They NEVER restructure contracts (no other team in the league would pay Geathers $6.2m and Clements $5.5m) of players who aren't playing up to their salary.

That's why people think they can't afford FAs... because the Bengals don't have a GM who's job security relies on making money "appear" when needed, finding ways to squeeze out the last dime, and shuffling contract numbers around. Instead they have Mike Brown who is the only person in the league who likes to honor unguaranteed contracts for players who are nowhere near the skill level of their pay anymore. Everyone's playing the salary cap game other than the Bengals, and that's why they're the team with the longest playoff win drought.

How else do you think Tampa Bay signed Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks (two players quite a few people on this forum were drooling over last FA) and still have $31.3m?

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.