Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39893
Default Marcus Lattimore?

The longer I think about it, the more I warm up to the idea of drafting Lattimore in the 3rd, if he's there.

With Green-Ellis under contract for 2 more years, it would provide the perfect envronment for Lattimore to fully rehab before being thrust into full time service.

Along with taking Lattimore in the 3rd, I would also strongly consider taking a guy like Zac Stacy in the 6th. I really feel like he would be a perfect change of pace, 3rd down back, adding some excitement factor to the offense. Of course, these moves would signal the end for players like B. Scott and Leonard.

Thoughts?

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2482
bengals Re: Marcus Lattimore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
The longer I think about it, the more I warm up to the idea of drafting Lattimore in the 3rd, if he's there.

With Green-Ellis under contract for 2 more years, it would provide the perfect envronment for Lattimore to fully rehab before being thrust into full time service.

Along with taking Lattimore in the 3rd, I would also strongly consider taking a guy like Zac Stacy in the 6th. I really feel like he would be a perfect change of pace, 3rd down back, adding some excitement factor to the offense. Of course, these moves would signal the end for players like B. Scott and Leonard.

Thoughts?
We need to do one more thing whether it's draft/trade/sign another free agent. And I love Stacy, but I still think we'd have to do something else with someone I'm more sure will be good in the NFL.

Idk about 3rd round I was thinking our 4th but its late in the round. I wouldn't be disappointed because I like him but I'd rather have him later than the 3rd.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76
Default Re: Marcus Lattimore?

I'm ok with Lattimore but the fact you want to draft a 6th- possible CFA to be our number 2 back if Lattimore can't get on the field makes little sense, at least get a FA RB. Remember last year we drafted a 6th round RB.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3092

Lattimore is chance to get a complete back. Not only is he a top runner with power, but he also displays excellent hands, and would be an excellent outlet guy out in the flat. Lattimore actually has more star power and slightly better size, but he reminds me somewhat of another alumni we drafted out of South Carolina, Harold Green, who could be a feature back and also caught the ball well. Green was drafted at number 37, and only rushed the ball 83 times his 1st year with us. The only thing that concerns me is that Lattimore was having an average year pre injury. But he was also keyed on heavily by defenses. I don't think he will be available in the 4th, it will take a 3rd IMO to get him. The guy seems snakebit, but I like his overall talent a lot.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

I just dont think I could take a risk on someone before the 5th round who has already blown out both their knees. Great kid who will hopefully get a chance to run in the NFL but there is no way he will be an every down back next year or even the year after. The Bengals have a serious RB issue that needs to be addressed with someone who can come in and make an immediate impact and I just don't think Lattimore will do that. I would cringe every time he touched the ball waiting for something else to happen to his knee; I guess you could say that about any RB or any NFL player, but when you have already had two major injuries, I would think you are more prone to another injury! If he is there in the 5th or 6th round, then take him, but no where in the first 3 rounds!!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2528

He may perform well in the NFL, and he may develop w/o missing a step. However; You gotta think of it this way, too:

Of all the teams in the NFL, who needs a RB?

Now, who would be in such a dire position to draft a guy that had THAT type of injury?

Can you think of anyone other than the Bengals taking that risk? I can't. That's why you wait. You don't have to blow a high pick on him. Chances are, he'll be there. And if he's not, better chance at either
a)someone else is a better choice, or
b) he's permanently damaged goods.

I like the odds of waiting 'til at least the fourth.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:

Thoughts?
You have to ask yourself if you're prepared to live with the worst case scenario, which is that he'll never be worth a damn.

The next worst case is he can't play this year. Can you accept that? Based on current info, that doesn't seem likely.

If you can manage another trade down in the first like last year, picking up another third, you'd have to really give it a lot of thought.

Then you ask how good he is at or near his best. At or near his best, he is outstanding.

Someone in the league will not let him get out of the third. I'd have no problem with the Bengals using a third rounder, especially if they have two. This is not the same old medical staff and hopefully they'd be able to make the right call on him.

Two blown knees is not the red flag career ender it used to be unless there's a degenerative condition.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19797

Thoughts?

I am on board if the Bengals sign a RB in FA to make up for the limited talent/ability possessed by GE. I still like the idea of signing Steven Jackson as a stop gap #1 back for the Bengals. He still has speed and power, beteer then GE in both areas, and opens up the outside running game. Plus he has excellent vision and was productive behind an aweful Rams line. Bringing him to a winning team would re-vitalize him and allow the Bengals to get a season or tow of production out of him, a release GE the following year.

Anyhow, this pipedream of mine would fit perfectly with drafting and then IR-ing Lattimore. Give the Bengals a solid, productive back and an answer for when the tread wears off the tires.

I suspect Leonard is gone, as he is the same back as GE, but more injury prone with less power. I predicted Brian would be gone this season for those reasons.

And no, I have not read Dinosaur Training yet, but will add that to the semester's reading list.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3453

I think everyone by now knows where I stand on this issue. 3rd is very tempting, 4th would be near impossible to pass up. I had him as a 5th rounder that would be a bargain bin pick up.

I have also been on record to say we should also try to grab a guy like Christine Michael or Knile Davis as well in the later rounds. Worst case is that both bust, which is the same as a lot of players. Best case is you now have 2 dangerous RBs that would make defenses have to choose who to stop. RB or Green.

I like the idea of trading down for an extra 3rd rounder. Hopefully we get an offer or can get someone to accept the offer.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2485

So you want to use your 3rd round pick on a guy that "needs to fully rehab" and may never be healthy again?

To high of a pick to be gambling with, 4th round or later, different issue, but there are plenty of other options in the 3rd for a RB that can contribute right away and has no/little injury history.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
So you want to use your 3rd round pick on a guy that "needs to fully rehab" and may never be healthy again?

To high of a pick to be gambling with, 4th round or later, different issue, but there are plenty of other options in the 3rd for a RB that can contribute right away and has no/little injury history.
i agree if we take lattimore before the 6th i'll be upset, also love your sn, jon snow fan?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7662

We're a deep team with talent across the board and an extra pick. That's why we take Lattimore as high as round three. Its not gonna be as big of a gamble for a team as good as the Bengals.

Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
We're a deep team with talent across the board and an extra pick. That's why we take Lattimore as high as round three. Its not gonna be as big of a gamble for a team as good as the Bengals.
yes it would as talented as the kid is, he's had 2 major injuries the last 2 years, the nfl is faster and meaner than college, look at the bengals history with drafting high rb's they all had significant injuries, i do feel they grab one in the 2nd round, but i could see waiting till the 3rd or 4th just not for lattimore
Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Wasn't a fan of Lattimore when he was healthy.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4111

Unnecessary gamble. There will be guys who are 100% healthy with lead back potential available in the third.

HBs probably have the shortest careers out of any position in the NFL. I can not be sold that using a mid round pick on a guy with a MAJOR injury history, who may never even get back up to speed, and is a huge ? for his rookie year is a good pick when there is tons of talent available at HB and just about every other position without injury concerns.

I could maybe be talked into taking a risk with one of our sixths or maybe we get a 7th round comp. But until I see a 4.5 40 with some 3 cone drills or something I am going to have the image of a mangled knee in my head with the idea that it was a life changing injury.

It's just too big of a risk for a guy who I think has a ceiling that was significantly lowered by two major leg injuries.

If we are taking a gamble early the guy better be healthy.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19882

Quote:

Thoughts?
I would not take him before the 4th and preferably the 5th.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post

Yes, I'm normally not much of a gambler, particularly when it comes to my opinions of what the Bengals should or should not do.

However, in this circumstance, I feel that the potential upside outweighs the gamble factor. We're talking a late 3rd round pick here, not anything earth shattering.

Yes, I fully understand that the guy likely will not play a down in 2013. The way to draft is for the future, not the immediate. The Bengals have a feature back under contract for the next two seasons, that is what makes this a risk worth taking. As I recall, Willis McGahee didn't do much in his first couple of seasons, and he turned in a pretty decent career.

This high risk plan also calls for the drafting of another RB, as well. I used Zac Stacy as my example, because he is a favorite of mine, but other backs would fit the role.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19882

Quote:
Yes, I'm normally not much of a gambler, particularly when it comes to my opinions of what the Bengals should or should not do.

However, in this circumstance, I feel that the potential upside outweighs the gamble factor. We're talking a late 3rd round pick here, not anything earth shattering.

Yes, I fully understand that the guy likely will not play a down in 2013. The way to draft is for the future, not the immediate. The Bengals have a feature back under contract for the next two seasons, that is what makes this a risk worth taking. As I recall, Willis McGahee didn't do much in his first couple of seasons, and he turned in a pretty decent career.

This high risk plan also calls for the drafting of another RB, as well. I used Zac Stacy as my example, because he is a favorite of mine, but other backs would fit the role.
We agree on many things and not saying this is totally insane but I would have some hesitation.

First, Benny did a nice job but I do not see him as the feature back. The skillset to be a feature back is not where his strengths lie IMO. He shines as a tough short yardage and redzone scoring back. He is not a threat when he gets into the open field.

He does not have cutback ability. He is a one hole runner. If that hole is not there then most likely he is going to lower his shoulder and just try to push for a yard or two. This is great for third and short but I think your feature back needs the skillset to be able to bounce it outside if the lane is not there.

Secondly, I feel this offense is a consistent running game away from taking the next step. A consistently threatening running game opens up the rest of your offense. I feel there are too many options that can give us this threat in 2013 rather than in 2014.

Personally, I would like to see two backs taken in this draft to pair with Benny. A three down guy (my list is narrowing) like:

Christine Michael (my favorite)
Johnathan Franklin (quickly rising)
Mike Gillislee
Joseph Randle

And then a speedy change of pace guy that can come in on third down that can get to the edge and has good hands out of the backfield like (in order of preference):

Kenjon Barner (could really be a relief back as well saving Benny for short yardage)
Kerwynn Williams
Andre Ellington

Yes the backfield would be young but with the professional presence of Benny it would be a very dynamic three headed monster that would not be highly predictable depending who was in the game.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

At the end of the day, we're probably going to need 2 RB this year because I don't see Scott or Leonard back. So whether it's FA and Draft pick or 2 draft picks Lattimore is in play because his potential, yes the risk is high but the reward can also be great. With Doctor James Andrews stating it's a miracle and the positive interviews with NFL teams, the 3rd round is fine for me but first we need to sign our own in FA and add some good pieces also.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 94

With our medical staff??? There is no way that I'd take him before the 6th. That would be just silly.
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willminus2 View Post
With our medical staff??? There is no way that I'd take him before the 6th. That would be just silly.

You do realize that the Bengals have a new medical staff, right?

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2342

Quote:
You do realize that the Bengals have a new medical staff, right?
The guy still has last years mock up, might be stuck in a time warp.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
We agree on many things and not saying this is totally insane but I would have some hesitation.

First, Benny did a nice job but I do not see him as the feature back. The skillset to be a feature back is not where his strengths lie IMO. He shines as a tough short yardage and redzone scoring back. He is not a threat when he gets into the open field.

He does not have cutback ability. He is a one hole runner. If that hole is not there then most likely he is going to lower his shoulder and just try to push for a yard or two. This is great for third and short but I think your feature back needs the skillset to be able to bounce it outside if the lane is not there.

Secondly, I feel this offense is a consistent running game away from taking the next step. A consistently threatening running game opens up the rest of your offense. I feel there are too many options that can give us this threat in 2013 rather than in 2014.

Personally, I would like to see two backs taken in this draft to pair with Benny. A three down guy (my list is narrowing) like:

Christine Michael (my favorite)
Johnathan Franklin (quickly rising)
Mike Gillislee
Joseph Randle

And then a speedy change of pace guy that can come in on third down that can get to the edge and has good hands out of the backfield like (in order of preference):

Kenjon Barner (could really be a relief back as well saving Benny for short yardage)
Kerwynn Williams
Andre Ellington

Yes the backfield would be young but with the professional presence of Benny it would be a very dynamic three headed monster that would not be highly predictable depending who was in the game.

Just my thoughts.
Not bad, I like your choices of the feature back. Michael and Randle especially. I would go with Michael but I love the idea of grabbing Lattimore as well. Yes the risk is there, but there is risk with taking any player. You could grab a RB that has never been injured in his career and then has an injury that he doesn't recover from or he just doesn't perform in the NFL. So you have to look at the upside as well.

Any player could bust but if Lattimore IS healthy and remains healthy and transitions well into the NFL, then you now have a dominate back that can and will take over games, like AP (not saying Lattimore is going to be the next AP). So then our running game improves.

Now the other side, if Lattimore bust, how will that hurt our team? Well we have proven that we can win with BJGE even if we are limited we still have effectiveness. While the running game doesn't improve it doesn't decline.

Now drafting a guy like Michael as well as an extra bit of insurance is wise. If he bust we still don't lose anything in the running game, but if he succeeds then we improve our running game. If Lattimore AND Michael succeed then you now have a vastly improved running game to take pressure off of the passing game.

Since it is always a gamble anyway, might as well take the higher payout. I think a combination of Lattimore (3rd round or later if he is there) AND Michael (4th round or later if he is there), would be the higher payout.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willminus2 View Post

I have a guestion for you...

I see that you are still sporting your mock from last year, as your sig.

Are you going to update that for this season, or just keep wishing that the Bengals would have drafted those players last year??

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

I loved watching Lattimore run but, in my opinion, I wouldn't take him before the 4/5th Rd.

2 knee surgeries.

The 1st one sapped some burst and explosion from him so I can't imagine he will look better after 2.

I remember sitting in BW3's and watching him as a freshman and thinking "This kid is special".

After the 1st surgery he really didn't look the same to me, though still pretty good for the college level.

Too risky for a team on the brink of contending to use a high pick on a guy that you aren't even sure will be the same.

If your gonna risk a high pick like that on a risk then make it a non-injury related risk, like a raw pass rusher or a DII player that you think could be really good.

Glad i'm not in charge of drafting players, tough call on a guy like Lattimore.