Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13611
Default Re: What are your priorities for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I respect your opinion on these guys, but I don't want to sign a 30 year old Jennings. GB has a great offense and an even better QB. Jennings will be looking for big money and he played in 13 games last year and 8 this year. Has the smell of a FA that will get paid big money and fizzle off into the sunset.

Bowe is a wildcard, KC never gave him a QB worth a darn. He has some attitude problems but when you are losing all the time it happens. I also think Reid will get him to stick around.

Amendola I don't know much about, smaller guy but produces when healthy.

V.Jack last year is really the only FA WR that has made a big impact in a while.

The #2 thing is a hot topic, but Andre Johnson has never had a stud next to him, Calvin Johnson same. Housh took two-three years to turn into one of the best WR we had. Sanu has some skill and had he gotten more playing time at the start of the year over Binns and Tate, I don't think we would be so woried.

However if Patterson were at the top of our board when 21 roles around hmmmm.

D.Smith would be a good fit and give some stability to the LB's, 30 years old, but graded out as the second best 4-3 LB. Also frees up the draft some.
I also think Jones and Sanu could develop into very good number 2 receivers. However, I think our Super Bowl window is open about 30%. We get the right vet #2 and it opens up to 50%. I just don't want to be sitting in here next year wishing we had done more at #2 than counting on two very young guys to produce at a Julio Jones level or at least very close to it.

As far as great free agent receivers, they don't come along often, but Bolden worked out great for the Ravens.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I also think Jones and Sanu could develop into very good number 2 receivers. However, I think our Super Bowl window is open about 30%. We get the right vet #2 and it opens up to 50%. I just don't want to be sitting in here next year wishing we had done more at #2 than counting on two very young guys to produce at a Julio Jones level or at least very close to it.

As far as great free agent receivers, they don't come along often, but Bolden worked out great for the Ravens.
I hear you and if a guy like Julio Jones was going to be a free agent I say go for it. However guys like that either resign, get the FT, or get way overpaid at the expense of other positions.

Bolden for sure worked out, tough guy, I don't think there is a Bolden in FA this year though.

They rolled the dice this year with the #2 and lost, I do feel that if they could focus on the upgrading run game it won't matter as much who the #2 is.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13611

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I hear you and if a guy like Julio Jones was going to be a free agent I say go for it. However guys like that either resign, get the FT, or get way overpaid at the expense of other positions.

Bolden for sure worked out, tough guy, I don't think there is a Bolden in FA this year though.

They rolled the dice this year with the #2 and lost, I do feel that if they could focus on the upgrading run game it won't matter as much who the #2 is.
I am in the minority, but it is my hope if they don't add a vet number two (top tier #2 like Hartline or Amendola) that they draft a TE like Ertz or Eifert with pick 2A. I would love to see us have 3 pass catching TE's that could develop. It would give Gruden more weapons and I think help Dalton. Dalton's strength is accuracy within 20 to 25 yards. That is the routes most TE's run 90% of the time.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2527

Quote:
I am in the minority, but it is my hope if they don't add a vet number two (top tier #2 like Hartline or Amendola) that they draft a TE like Ertz or Eifert with pick 2A. I would love to see us have 3 pass catching TE's that could develop. It would give Gruden more weapons and I think help Dalton. Dalton's strength is accuracy within 20 to 25 yards. That is the routes most TE's run 90% of the time.
The problem is we have a second TE and didn't hardly throw to him. Having 3 would make Gruden's mind explode. If we draft a TE early it needs to be because we traded Gresh or something. I get what your saying though, I think at one time NE had 5-6 TE's on thier roster.

Gruden and Andy need a running game to be consitently productive, having a TE that could block would be nice too. I'm sure the D would be thrilled with less three and outs at the end of seasons.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19801

Quote:

I agree, I think Sanu and Jones can be just fine for us. My two issues right now are finding a solidified "slot receiver" as I don't see Hawk in that role due to his height across the middle. I think he should be on the game-day roster being utilized at times however.

The other thing with me is having better depth at WR. If we can find two guys in free agency and/or the draft that are better than Tate and Whalen, then that would be quite nice boost for our receiving corps, especially when/if injuries pop up. And though I would not be against signing a proven vet receiver to step right in to play, I just don't see that happening with the Bengals. So I am hoping they will take the realistic approach to replace Tate and Whalen with better players.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Last edited by Millz; 02-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4569

1.) WLB& MLB both Draft- We lack speed in the Middle 3 even Vontez struggled on third downs.

2.)Safety-We need a guy that can cover and make plays

3.)CB- Newmen will be 35, Clemments is done, Allen didn't play, Pacman has had major health problems and attitude problems, Ghee hasnt played same with prater, and we dont know what we have with Kirkpatrick

4.)RB- Need a 3 down back.

I would not mind drafting a WR but do not think we need one like Jones and Sanu allot.