Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 3136
Default Will Pro Football change?

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...own-president#

I had a hard time trying to decide where this should have gone so I decided that this discussion was about football and of course we fans support the sport but it also involves politics. and It's a shame that politics has to be even involved in sports.

FF: Sticking with the culture of violence, but on a much less dramatic scale: I'm wondering if you, as a fan, take less pleasure in watching football, knowing the impact that the game takes on its players.

I'm a big football fan, but I have to tell you if I had a son, I'd have to think long and hard before I let him play football. And I think that those of us who love the sport are going to have to wrestle with the fact that it will probably change gradually to try to reduce some of the violence. In some cases, that may make it a little bit less exciting, but it will be a whole lot better for the players, and those of us who are fans maybe won't have to exam our consciences quite as much.

I tend to be more worried about college players than NFL players in the sense that the NFL players have a union, they're grown men, they can make some of these decisions on their own, and most of them are well-compensated for the violence they do to their bodies. You read some of these stories about college players who undergo some of these same problems with concussions and so forth and then have nothing to fall back on. That's something that I'd like to see the NCAA think about.

I believe the players get paid millions because of their talent and because of the fact they are willing to sacrifice their bodies for the fans enjoyment along with the fact they are competitive and want to be the best at their craft(well a majority do) which is only common sense.

So my question is would you be upset if the NFL became " a little bit less exciting " as Obama says it might or do you think it would hurt the integrity of the game if changes are made to reduce violence and would it keep more fans at home?

Two , do you think that politicians need to stay out of football because things have been going fine without any interference?

Three, do you think things will be just the status quo and no changes?

Four, and I have to ask does your consciences bother you that these guys are violent?

IMO, I can envision a day where every game on Sunday will be flag football.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16666
bengals Re: Will Pro Football change?

Politicians have no bidness involving themselves with anything outside of politics, and even that's up for debate.

I may be getting into semantics here, but I don't consider football violent. To me, that word is used to instill a negative connotation, subliminal even. It's a contact sport and nothing more. This is just my humble opinion of course.

Having said that, I agree with the article where college players are concerned. At least pay these fellers, particularly football players for the reasons the article gives.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Default Re: Will Pro Football change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
Politicians have no bidness involving themselves with anything outside of politics, and even that's up for debate.

I may be getting into semantics here, but I don't consider football violent. To me, that word is used to instill a negative connotation, subliminal even. It's a contact sport and nothing more. This is just my humble opinion of course.

Having said that, I agree with the article where college players are concerned. At least pay these fellers, particularly football players for the reasons the article gives.
College players I believe should be paid by the boosters of individual schools but trying to institute a policy of that magnitude would take years to develop.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4181

To go point by point:

1-It is a tough call. On one hand, the big plays, collisions and the like are what make football a special sport. However, the proper actions need to take place to maintain the integrity of the game, and protect the players at the same time. I think it's possible, and while recent changes haven't been perfect, there has been progress.

2-I have no problem with a politician giving his opinion in an interview like this one. Arlen Specter, on the other hand, was way off his rocker, along with Emmet Burns when they both got unnecessarily involed.

3- Football is a consistently changing sport. It will continue to change and adapt, for better or for worse.

4- My views reflect those that Obama stated in the interview. When a pro goes down, it's a little easier to accept. But when you have college kids tearing knees up, suffering multiple concussions and the like, there's a part of my brain thinking 'there has to be a better way.'
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13954

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post

Yea, I really object to how the word "violence" and "violent" were being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
To go point by point:

1-It is a tough call. On one hand, the big plays, collisions and the like are what make football a special sport. However, the proper actions need to take place to maintain the integrity of the game, and protect the players at the same time. I think it's possible, and while recent changes haven't been perfect, there has been progress.

2-I have no problem with a politician giving his opinion in an interview like this one. Arlen Specter, on the other hand, was way off his rocker, along with Emmet Burns when they both got unnecessarily involed.

3- Football is a consistently changing sport. It will continue to change and adapt, for better or for worse.

4- My views reflect those that Obama stated in the interview. When a pro goes down, it's a little easier to accept. But when you have college kids tearing knees up, suffering multiple concussions and the like, there's a part of my brain thinking 'there has to be a better way.'
Football on any level can be dangerous, agree?
And how far do we go in protecting players and what is the percentage of players that have suffered injuries bad enough to keep from them from playing the sport? And what injuries in particular were they?
And some H.S.'s have pay to play policies now and if the economy doesn't improve enough for the parents in those districts will schools discontinue football?
When it comes to the NFL one has to look at the whole picture IMO.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Football on any level can be dangerous, agree?
And how far do we go in protecting players and what is the percentage of players that have suffered injuries bad enough to keep from them from playing the sport? And what injuries in particular were they?
And some H.S.'s have pay to play policies now and if the economy doesn't improve enough for the parents in those districts will schools discontinue football?
When it comes to the NFL one has to look at the whole picture IMO.
I'm not going to do any data collecting for you. But other questions I will answer. You go as far as you can. How far that is is up to the minds that are much better than any of ours in this matter. The advances in helmets and future innovations with pads and the like are very encouraging. Other rule changes like the kickoff rules and helmet-to-helmet hits are also encouraging, even in the enforcement on the latter still has to be worked out. These rules also have not compromised the integrity of the game.

I imagine (again, not doing homework for you) that all sorts of career-ending injuries happen. The first that come to mind for me would be concussions (which can also be quite life-ending), thinking of Terry Tautolo, and recently Jahvid Best and Seau. Leg/knee injuries are probably very high on the list as well. To a lesser extent arm/shoulder injuries (Greg Cook anyone?) also cause career enders. But again, innovations with rules (helmet to helmet, protecting the QB, chop blocks, blindside blocks, etc.)

I think those lamenting the changes and proclaiming that the NFL is becoming 'flag football' are a little too overeactionary. While at times frustrating, I think the NFL is doing a decent job of 'looking at the big picture' while making progress towards protecting its players.

Although if you do get any answers to your other questions let us know.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
I'm not going to do any data collecting for you. But other questions I will answer. You go as far as you can. How far that is is up to the minds that are much better than any of ours in this matter. The advances in helmets and future innovations with pads and the like are very encouraging. Other rule changes like the kickoff rules and helmet-to-helmet hits are also encouraging, even in the enforcement on the latter still has to be worked out. These rules also have not compromised the integrity of the game.

I imagine (again, not doing homework for you) that all sorts of career-ending injuries happen. The first that come to mind for me would be concussions (which can also be quite life-ending), thinking of Terry Tautolo, and recently Jahvid Best and Seau. Leg/knee injuries are probably very high on the list as well. To a lesser extent arm/shoulder injuries (Greg Cook anyone?) also cause career enders. But again, innovations with rules (helmet to helmet, protecting the QB, chop blocks, blindside blocks, etc.)

I think those lamenting the changes and proclaiming that the NFL is becoming 'flag football' are a little too overeactionary. While at times frustrating, I think the NFL is doing a decent job of 'looking at the big picture' while making progress towards protecting its players.

Although if you do get any answers to your other questions let us know.
Since you referenced homework at least three times who asked you to do any homework for me anyhow?

Last edited by TommyC; 01-28-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

Bernard Pollard believes that the NFL will not exist in 30 years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...exist-30-years
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1785

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Bernard Pollard believes that the NFL will not exist in 30 years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...exist-30-years
Bernard is wrong.
Way too much money is being made.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 39188

It'll change, but it won't go away. All I know is that if Obama had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin and wouldn't play football.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
It'll change, but it won't go away. All I know is that if Obama had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin and wouldn't play football.
Hilarious!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Bob Costas makes this claim.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...lly-unsustaina