Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 10
bengals Re: Dalton vs Kaepernick (20/20)

Kaepernick is a great quarterback dont get me wrong but the 49ers have a better ground game than the Bengals do witch is why Kaepernick has the time to do what he does, And Yes Defence wins championships but you need to be able to threaten the other team with your offence. I think the Bengals need to get better on the ground to take the presser off of Andy if they dont they will do the same thing next year. I do not like the 49ers at all I was, am, and always will be a Bengals fan nomatter what but we need to run the ball more effectivly this will give Andy the time he needs to make the throws more accurately Who Dey!!!! P.S. I think Mr. Jackson for RB coach is the right move!!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30357
Default Re: Dalton vs Kaepernick (20/20)

One thing that gets me with the constant criticism of Andy Dalton is that his 2012 performance is on par with Carson "golden boy" Palmer.

2012 Andy
: 62.3% completions,,, 7.0 YPA,,, 5.1 TD%,,, 3.0 INT%,,, 87.4 rating

Carson's career: 62.5% completions,,, 7.2 YPA,,, 4.6 TD%,,, 3.2 INT%,,, 86.2 rating

Yet people act as if Andy's 2012 season was a total disaster.

I understand the last 5 games were pretty weak, but he had his moments even then.

@ SD: Threw 2 picks, but completed 65.8% and accounted for 2 TD's in the win.

vs Dallas: Andy actually played a good game here. Competed 60.6% despite 8 drops by receivers. Would've had 2 TD's and win if AJ makes an easy catch.

@ Philly: Weak game. Went 13-27 for a measly 127 yards and a TD. Can't really pin it all on him though. Receivers had 6 more drops. O-line got man-handled in pass pro.

@ Pizzburgh: I thought this was a good and gutsy game by Andy. Threw for 278 against an excellent defense, on the road, with ZERO help from RB's. Threw 2 INT's, but one of those was on AJ. Made the clutch throw at the end.

vs Balt: Not a bad game at all. Went 10 of 15 with a TD.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20199

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
At some point during a deep playoff run a good defense is going to force Dalton to throw the football.

That's what good defenses do, try to expose the offenses weakness and make them win by that weakness.

If Dalton doesn't improve HIS game this team will not take the next step.

I'm all for getting Andy some help, and I'm not blaming Andy for anything, but he needs a lot of improvement in HIS game or new weapons will be a waste.
He most certainly does. My money's on him doing just that. I'd imagine nobody's more aware of it than him. He has the talent and the will to get to and stay at the top of his game. The top of his game can take us anywhere we need to go. He's probably working on it right now.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
One thing that gets me with the constant criticism of Andy Dalton is that his 2012 performance is on par with Carson "golden boy" Palmer.

2012 Andy: 62.3% completions,,, 7.0 YPA,,, 5.1 TD%,,, 3.0 INT%,,, 87.4 rating

Carson's career: 62.5% completions,,, 7.2 YPA,,, 4.6 TD%,,, 3.2 INT%,,, 86.2 rating

Yet people act as if Andy's 2012 season was a total disaster.

I understand the last 5 games were pretty weak, but he had his moments even then.

@ SD: Threw 2 picks, but completed 65.8% and accounted for 2 TD's in the win.

vs Dallas: Andy actually played a good game here. Competed 60.6% despite 8 drops by receivers. Would've had 2 TD's and win if AJ makes an easy catch.

@ Philly: Weak game. Went 13-27 for a measly 127 yards and a TD. Can't really pin it all on him though. Receivers had 6 more drops. O-line got man-handled in pass pro.

@ Pizzburgh: I thought this was a good and gutsy game by Andy. Threw for 278 against an excellent defense, on the road, with ZERO help from RB's. Threw 2 INT's, but one of those was on AJ. Made the clutch throw at the end.

vs Balt: Not a bad game at all. Went 10 of 15 with a TD.

Aren't you forgetting the last game???

@ Houston:

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

Andy Dalton14/30 127 0 1
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post

@ Houston:

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

Andy Dalton14/30 127 0 1
Oh yeah. The game where Jay Gruden decided to avoid AJ like the plague in the first half? Andy was 4-10 for 3 yards at halftime due to Jay's brilliant game plan and several drops by Gresham.

Andy actually completed 10 passes in the 2nd half for 124 yards. So obviously it wasn't an Andy problem, it was a game plan problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh yeah. The game where Jay Gruden decided to avoid AJ like the plague in the first half? Andy was 4-10 for 3 yards at halftime due to Jay's brilliant game plan and several drops by Gresham.

Andy actually completed 10 passes in the 2nd half for 124 yards. So obviously it wasn't an Andy problem, it was a game plan problem.

We have more receivers then AJ. Are you saying if AJ gets injured or is not on the lineup then Dalton can't play?

I give more credit to Dalton then you. Dalton should not need AJ to be a good QB.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
We have more receivers then AJ. Are you saying if AJ gets injured or is not on the lineup then Dalton can't play?

I give more credit to Dalton then you. Dalton should not need AJ to be a good QB.
He doesn't necessarily need AJ. He just needs competent receivers. A 6th round rookie WR and a TE with a case of stone hands don't qualify. We also don't get RBs involved in the passing game.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:

This will have to happen for the Bengals to contend, unless they find the next Adrian Peterson in this draft.

Dalton needs serious work on his fundamentals, the fundamentals that good pass rushes scare him to forget I guess.

IMO he can do it, there is nothing physically holding him back because other QBs with similar attributes have been very successful.

He is going to have to work on it because with his lack of a cannon arm/speed/overall athletic ability his fundamentals will have to be spot on, every game.

The only thing that worries me about it is Whit said he is very stubborn and doesn't like to be wrong.

That could be a problem (though I don't think it will).

Last edited by gardner30; 02-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
He doesn't necessarily need AJ. He just needs competent receivers. A 6th round rookie WR and a TE with a case of stone hands don't qualify. We also don't get RBs involved in the passing game.
Please make up your mind. I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee

@ Houston:

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

Andy Dalton14/30 127 0 1
You said ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake

I said ....

Quote:

Now you say...

"He doesn't necessarily need AJ. He just needs competent receivers. A 6th round rookie WR and a TE with a case of stone hands don't qualify. We also don't get RBs involved in the passing game. "

Go back to your first statement where you said we AVOIDED AJ. Read carefully, what I wrote IF AJ GETS INJURED OR IS NOT ON THE LINEUP, then Dalton can't play???

That means without AJ in the lineup we should expect the stats he put up @Houston in the future regardless if we have a 6th round rookie WR or a Two-time Pro Bowl TE????

Think about what you said, if not for AJ in the lineup we should expect the results @Houston???? If we did not start passing to AJ in the seond half then Dalton would not even have these stats???

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

Andy Dalton14/30 127 0 1
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Please make up your mind. I said...

You said ....

I said ....

Now you say...

"He doesn't necessarily need AJ. He just needs competent receivers. A 6th round rookie WR and a TE with a case of stone hands don't qualify. We also don't get RBs involved in the passing game. "

Go back to your first statement where you said we AVOIDED AJ. Read carefully, what I wrote IF AJ GETS INJURED OR IS NOT ON THE LINEUP, then Dalton can't play???

That means without AJ in the lineup we should expect the stats he put up @Houston in the future regardless if we have a 6th round rookie WR or a Two-time Pro Bowl TE????

Think about what you said, if not for AJ in the lineup we should expect the results @Houston???? If we did not start passing to AJ in the seond half then Dalton would not even have these stats???

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

Andy Dalton14/30 127 0 1
It's pretty simple BY. Our other receiver sukk. If Andy were to have any success against the Houston Texans defense, it wasn't coming by throwing to Marvin friggin Jones and stone hands Gresham. It was going to have to come through AJ (our only competent receiver). What's so hard to understand about that? We instead tried to get Gresham involved, and he failed miserably. Is that Andy's fault as well?

To answer your question, yes. If we had no AJ Green in the lineup, start a 6th round rookie, a 5'7" gadget player and a TE who drops 80% of his targets, then yes, we should expect 14/30 against one of the NFL's best defenses on the road.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

To answer your question, yes. If we had no AJ Green in the lineup, start a 6th round rookie, a 5'7" gadget player and a TE who drops 80% of his targets, then yes, we should expect 14/30 against one of the NFL's best defenses on the road.

Ok thank you, for the record you are saying without AJ in the lineup Dalton can't play against top defenses on the road, gotcha

Last edited by BengalYankee; 02-03-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12223

If Gresham holds on to these hot read passes ?

It would have then set up AJ and we would not be having these arguments.

It is not that AJ was forgotten. But they were trying to alleviate some of the coverage from him.

Dalton is good but does not have the cannon to throw into double coverage all day with success yet.

Greshams WD-40 hands on this day hurt the offense big time. imo

Just as Maualuga hurt the defense.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok thank you, for the record you are saying without AJ in the lineup Dalton can't play against top defenses on the road, gotcha
With the current offensive players? No. Probably not. But even Drew Brees would look like crap throwing it to Gresham and a 6th round rookie.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12668

Quote:
Yes, Dalton clearly can't compete without AJ Green against a top defense. Ever.

Just admit you hate Andy Dalton so we can move on, because at this point you're grasping for straws and have absolutely nothing.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

What I want to know is was totally AJ Green off limits to throw to in the 1st half?

Why couldn't Dalton go through his progressions and find AJ instead of throwing into traffic for Gresham and Jones?

Did someone tell Andy "Do Not Throw to AJ What so Ever"?

I would like to think that AJ was merely not featured in the 1st half, meaning not the first read.

If that is the case, and it might very well be, young Dalton has more issues than we think scanning the field and reading defenses.

Lots to work on.

Somebody will surely counter with "he was under constant pressure so he didn't have time to go through his reads".

While he was under pressure at times, this really wasn't the case.

If you look at the highlights on NFL.com of the throws that Dalton missed, he really wasn't under that much pressure.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20094

Im sure this has been mentioned (not reading thru the thread), but if KP was drafted by us, who actually thinks he would be having the same success as he is with 49rs?

I am thinking if we had him, he would be forced to play under center like Dalton in a very pro-style west coast offense as there would be no such thing as the pistol formation here. We would still be a quite vanilla offense as KP's running ability would only be used as a last resort thing like running away from the pass rush. I am not saying he would be worse or the same as Dalton is here, but I bet anything he wouldn't be as good as he has been, and definitely wouldn't be as much of a rising star as he is right now.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8991

Quote:
What I want to know is was totally AJ Green off limits to throw to in the 1st half?
Why couldn't Dalton go through his progressions and find AJ instead of throwing into traffic for Gresham and Jones?....
Well, if Gresham, for example, is the primary receiver and you've been told that his matchup is a good one for the team, then the QB will throw it to him even if he's covered as long as it's single coverage. I think that's what you'll see if you watch the first half ... throws to Gresham in single coverage where the Texans DB (I believe it was Quinn most of the time) simply got the best of the matchup or Gresham couldn't come up with the catch. So, IMO, given that the game plan was to work the matchups Gresham was getting there's really not a whole lot of ways to go from that to blaming Andy for not throwing the ball at AJ. Also, I believe there were at least 2 or 3 screen passes called in the first half if memory serves me correctly, and on a screen pass no QB goes through any progression ... you either throw it to the RB or throw it away because everybody else, WRs included, is blocking and not looking for the ball.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1340

Quote:
How long did it take for Brees to become a surgeon though?

He made one start as a rookie, so the Chargers let him sit and learn.

Then in his next 2 seasons, he went 10-17 as starter while completing 59.5% of his passes and throwing only 28 TD's to 31 INT's.

That was with Ladainian Tomlinson as his RB.

The light didn't come on for Brees until his 4th season.
Brees was extremely accurate in Joe Tiller's spread offense at Purdue. He made collegiate stars out of several non-names, including Vinnie Sutherland. I would argue the "light" for Brees was always on, but his early career struggles were the result of adjusting to the Pro level and Norv Turner's overrated offense. Norv was inflexible, and didn't tailor the offense to the strengths of Brees. Sean Payton didn't make the same mistake. The shoulder injury was the nail in the coffin for Drew in SD, and ultimately, the best thing for his career. Dalton has never shown the kind of accuracy or footwork of Drew BRees in college or the NFL. I'm not saying this to be a jerk; its simply the truth.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
What team do you coach?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
You guys don't take to points differing from your own, do you? You can do better than a lame retort; or wait, maybe you can't.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
My point was that Brees wasn't always a surgeon.

He was very inaccurate his first few years.

Both can be worked on and we will see how dedicated young Dalton is at his craft.

More weapons can only help Dalton but if he is delivering inaccurate passes to them it won't matter.
I'll agree with you here. Brees took it to another level once he went to NO. I would argue that Brees was highly accurate dating back to Purdue and Joe Tiller's spread offense. He struggle a bit in Norv Turner's offense, and then got hurt, making it easy to shove him out and promote Rivers. As I mentioned in another post, I think Norv Turner is highly overrated. His offense was great in Dallas, but he had a half dozen Hall of Fame guys on it in key positions. His offenses have been decent in SD, but they've benefited from playing in arguably the weakest division in the NFL over that time period, unless you make a case for the NFC West over the same time-frame. Norv has one style of offense, virtually the same one as in Dallas. It's not the style to maximize Drew Brees' talents.

More weapons will help Dalton. But Dalton has to help them by moving in the pocket better and not freaking out at the first sign of pressure. He exhibited this behavior far too often over the second half of the season. His arm strength will always be a limitation. He can counter it by improving his footwork and ability to hit secondary/tertiary targets with on-time throws.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 8

Well...Okay maybe we should have picked kaperdick,
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Dalton vs Kaepernick (20/20)

Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
Brees was extremely accurate in Joe Tiller's spread offense at Purdue. He made collegiate stars out of several non-names, including Vinnie Sutherland. I would argue the "light" for Brees was always on, but his early career struggles were the result of adjusting to the Pro level and Norv Turner's overrated offense. Norv was inflexible, and didn't tailor the offense to the strengths of Brees. Sean Payton didn't make the same mistake. The shoulder injury was the nail in the coffin for Drew in SD, and ultimately, the best thing for his career. Dalton has never shown the kind of accuracy or footwork of Drew BRees in college or the NFL. I'm not saying this to be a jerk; its simply the truth.
1. So I guess Dalton needs time to adjust to the pro level too, right?

2. Norv Turner was Brees' OC for one season. His rookie season. In all 4 seasons with Brees as the starter in SD, Cam Cameron was his OC.

Also, Brees had a 104.8 passer rating in his 4th season...in SD. So it's not like he became a great passer in NO.

He just needed a few seasons to perfect his game. Dalton needs time as well. He's already shown a ton of promise by throwing 47 TDs in his first 2 seasons.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73507

Aaaand in the biggest of stages, there were plenty of moments with Kaepernick absolutely ballin. This includes the late Gore run, which was created by Suggs focusing on the QB.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20199

Andy's our guy and I like him and support him. But CK is the better player and will always be the better player. He has the cool and the presence and physical tools Andy could only ever dream of.

singersongwriterrocknroll