Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

View Poll Results: Best Position to Pursue in FA
WR 8 25.81%
RB 1 3.23%
QB 1 3.23%
TE 0 0%
OT 1 3.23%
OG 0 0%
C 1 3.23%
DE 0 0%
DT 0 0%
OLB 5 16.13%
ILB 2 6.45%
CB 3 9.68%
S 9 29.03%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274
Default Best Position for FA

Through reading many members' opinions on which positions to draft and where, and also which to go after in FA, it made me want to post a poll as to which position everyone feels would be the best to pursue via FA.

The options to be listed are only for finding a starter at that position, not depth.

Choices are:
WR
RB
QB
TE
OT
OG
C
DE
DT
OLB
ILB
S
CB

EDIT: Probably should have put this in the Hot Topic: Free Agency section. Mods, please move there.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Default Re: Best Position for FA

Here is a link of a list of the upcoming free agents.
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

I voted WR, but after looking over CB there are some really good CB's that may be out there. Everyone wants us to draft a CB, but we could easily bring one in that is relatively young.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16776

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Through reading many members' opinions on which positions to draft and where, and also which to go after in FA, it made me want to post a poll as to which position everyone feels would be the best to pursue via FA.

The options to be listed are only for finding a starter at that position, not depth.

Choices are:
WR
RB
QB
TE
OT
OG
C
DE
DT
OLB
ILB
S
CB

EDIT: Probably should have put this in the Hot Topic: Free Agency section. Mods, please move there.
I voted WR, but I would be thrilled if we picked up a veteran safety like Gholdson, Byrd, Reed or Troy (have a hunch he may get cut). A guy like Reed could be added with the idea he will be gone in two years so we would still need to draft a safety by round 3. There are lots of good safeties in this draft class, so a guy like Rambo or Swearinger would be great additions as well in round 3.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214

I see Safety as the best opportunity, but only if J. Byrd is the choice (18 picks & 10 FFs in 4yr career) impressive stats for a safety...Byrd's still young (hasn't missed a game in career) which is huge over someone like LaRon Landry. Only problem is that the Bills may tag Byrd which will likely cost them near $7 million...not sure what Buffalo will do, but 6-7 million a year to fill a spot that's been practically void in the Bengals secondary for well over ten years is digestable.

Last edited by chasf316; 02-04-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30061

We just had a thread about this a couple weeks ago.

My opinion now, as it was then, is the one position I most want to upgrade in free agency is backup QB.

I think at most positions we are good enough that an upgrade would require a "name" free agent, and we rarely go that route. And at the other needed positions I'd rather upgrade in the draft.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3241
bengals Re: Best Position for FA

I think Safety is a fairly strong free agent class where we need a starter. Also cornerback is pretty strong as well if we wanted to add some young depth rather than using a draft pick.

Jarius Byrd is obviously the top choice in the safety class. Idk what Buffalo will do with him (probably tag him if he won't resign) but I feel we should at least look at him and give him an offer.

Then you have other guys like Goldson, Delmas, Quin, Moore, Philips, Landry, Chung, and etc. that could be signed because I'm not sure what will be available to us in the draft at our position compared to our other needs.

We need to resign Andre Smith, Michael Johnson, Thomas Howard, Kevin Huber, Wallace Gilberry, Adam Jones, Rey Mauluaga, Nate Clements or Terrence Newman.

Others I'd like to resign, but wouldn't die if we lost them: Brian Leonard, Mike Nugent, Manny Lawson, Robert Geathers, Pat Sims, Dan Skuta, and Bruce Gradkowski
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52936

CB's, starting QB's, LT's, and pass rushing DE's are too expensive in free agency.

LB's (for a 4-3) and safeties are probably the cheapest positions among our needs. So sign free agent LBs and Safeties and draft for the rest.

Especiallt draft for RB's because they generally get used up so fast in the NFL. By the time they have carried the ball enough to prove they are worth a decent free agent contract they are already close to the start of their decline.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
We just had a thread about this a couple weeks ago.

My opinion now, as it was then, is the one position I most want to upgrade in free agency is backup QB.

I think at most positions we are good enough that an upgrade would require a "name" free agent, and we rarely go that route. And at the other needed positions I'd rather upgrade in the draft.
It was? I don't remember it. I must admit, I didn't do any quality amount of searching for a duplicate thread topic, but from when I browsed, didn't see it. Maybe it got moved to the Hot Topic FA under JN, which I did forget to look in, and actually should have posted this in.

As for choosing QB, the post stated in bold
"The options to be listed are only for finding a starter at that position, not depth."
So choosing QB when wanting a backup QB kind of goes against the point of the poll.

I really think we need one starter via FA to fully make this team elite in 2013. We could upgrade CB, WR2, S (either SS or move Nelson to SS and get a new FS), RB, and at least one LB.

RB could be debated on whether we would get a "starter" anyway, since BJGE is technically the starter. But for RBBC, it can be interpreted as having 2 "starters" that rotate.

Interior OL could maybe get upgraded too, but I have a gut feeling coaches will stick with Robinson and Cook for one more year to see if injuries to Cook really affected his performance upon return.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-04-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
CB's, starting QB's, LT's, and pass rushing DE's are too expensive in free agency.

LB's (for a 4-3) and safeties are probably the cheapest positions among our needs. So sign free agent LBs and Safeties and draft for the rest.

Especiallt draft for RB's because they generally get used up so fast in the NFL. By the time they have carried the ball enough to prove they are worth a decent free agent contract they are already close to the start of their decline.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Tough though because the safety crop this year in the draft looks pretty good. OLBs for 4-3 look good too, and the FA LB market looks weak. Would you be opposed to the Bengals going after a vet safety this year for like a 2-3 year deal and drafting a potential replacement in 2014 or 2015?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
It was? I don't remember it. I must admit, I didn't do any quality amount of searching for a duplicate thread topic, but from when I browsed, didn't see it. Maybe it got moved to the Hot Topic FA under JN, which I did forget to look in, and actually should have posted this in.

"The options to be listed are only for finding a starter at that position, not depth."
So choosing QB when wanting a backup QB kind of goes against the point of the poll.

I really think we need one starter via FA to fully make this team elite in 2013. We could upgrade CB, WR2, S (either SS or move Nelson to SS and get a new FS), RB, and at least one LB.

RB could be debated on whether we would get a "starter" anyway, since BJGE is technically the starter. But for RBBC, it can be interpreted as having 2 "starters" that rotate.

Interior OL could maybe get upgraded too, but I have a gut feeling coaches will stick with Robinson and Cook for one more year to see if injuries to Cook really affected his performance upon return.
IMO, backup QB, while not a "starter" is more than just depth.

If you do want to limit strictly to starters, then I guess the one position I would want to bring in a vet would be #2 WR.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

It is in the Free Agency sub-forum of Jungle Noise.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

I think history points to S. Even though this is a deep class at S Marvin hasn't shown that he values the position enough to use an early pick to fill the hole. It seems we have a need at S every year, but we still don't draft one early.

I don't know the numbers, but it seems we have had more veterans from other teams start at S than any other position since Marvin got here.

I don't think Marvin trusts young guys at S and I don't think he values the position enough to use a premium pick on one.