Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17505
Default Re: Dalton vs Kaepernick (20/20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Yes, Dalton clearly can't compete without AJ Green against a top defense. Ever.

Just admit you hate Andy Dalton so we can move on, because at this point you're grasping for straws and have absolutely nothing.

I don't hate him at all and I challenge you to find me criticize him. I am the one who said Dalton doesn't need AJ to be a good QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee
We have more receivers then AJ. Are you saying if AJ gets injured or is not on the lineup then Dalton can't play?

I give more credit to Dalton then you. Dalton should not need AJ to be a good QB.

Other's will say that Dalton is too short, has happy feet, or other critism of Dalton. You won't find that with me. If someone says that Dalton got us to the playoff in 2011 and 2012 and I respond the Defense is the common thread that got us into the playoffs in 2009, 2011 and 2012. All of a sudden I am criticizing Dalton. That is the problem with some, if you don't say 100% nice things about Dalton then you hate him.

I try to give a fair and honest comparison of Dalton to other QB's in the NFL and if I say Colin or Russel or Cam is better then Dalton it is not because I hate Dalton, it is because I think those other QB's are better. Notice, I did not say Luck or RG3 was better then Dalton, however, I am sure that the fans of Indianapolis and Washington prefer their respected QB's over Dalton.

I am just not drinking his juice, like many here are. He can do no wrong for some of you and that is fine since this is a Bengals website and all. But it is ignorant to say that Dalton is better then Colin. And I don't care what anybody says Dalton is the 3rd best QB in the AFC North.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 02-04-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 8

We should run the pistol offense too. At the combine Dalton actually ran a 4.50 40 yard dash...kaperdick ran a 4.53. We've seen dalton streaking up the middle for TD many times right? Change his number from 14 to 7 so he look more like running qb too.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16372

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Andy's our guy and I like him and support him. But CK is the better player and will always be the better player. He has the cool and the presence and physical tools Andy could only ever dream of.
But he's just as afraid and he made a ton of bad decisions tonight.

2nd and goal, your boys are blocking for you: WTF do you pass to a covered man when you can run?

Andy would've run.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7626

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
Brees was extremely accurate in Joe Tiller's spread offense at Purdue. He made collegiate stars out of several non-names, including Vinnie Sutherland. I would argue the "light" for Brees was always on, but his early career struggles were the result of adjusting to the Pro level and Norv Turner's overrated offense. Norv was inflexible, and didn't tailor the offense to the strengths of Brees. Sean Payton didn't make the same mistake. The shoulder injury was the nail in the coffin for Drew in SD, and ultimately, the best thing for his career. Dalton has never shown the kind of accuracy or footwork of Drew BRees in college or the NFL. I'm not saying this to be a jerk; its simply the truth.
Norv Turner became SD's HC in 07. He was Brees' OC for his rookie season only and Brees only threw 27 passes. Brees' early struggles had nothing to do with Turner.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6623
bengals Re: Dalton vs Kaepernick (20/20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post

2nd and goal, your boys are blocking for you: WTF do you pass to a covered man when you can run?

Andy would've run.
Yeah, he was looking pretty awful.. and lets be honest.. before the power outage, it was 28-6 and was in the process of getting entirely out of hand... normally QBs don't get 70 minutes to re-right themselves in the middle of a game.

It's not like the 49ers are great because of him. They were a 13-3 team last year, and won a playoff game with Alex Smith as their QB. Heck, Alex Smith had them at 6-2 this year before CK took over. All he had to do was go 3-4 with a team that went 13-3 last season in order to have a winning season. (I don't count the tie for either. It was a shared game.)

He had some good play in the playoffs, and some bad play. Lets be honest though, he has a great TE, a great running game, a great offensive line, a great defense with the best LBing corps in the league. It's not like he has to do a ton in order to look good... heck, Alex Smith had a 104.1 QB Rating this year before CK took over, which is higher than what CK finished with. He threw for 10 TDs in 7 starts, with 4 of them coming in 1 game. He had 4 fumbles in one game against the Pats.

To put it in perspective.. he had a game where he threw for 185 yards and 0 TDs.. and the 49ers won 27-13. That tells you the kind of team he had around him... now don't get me wrong, I think he's a pretty good QB and should get better.. but by no means do I think CK stands for Christ's Kid like some people apparently do. Nor do I think he'd do any better than Dalton has done with the team Dalton has around him. I'll take Andy every time.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1223

I hate this thread
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Yeah, he was looking pretty awful.. and lets be honest.. before the power outage, it was 28-6 and was in the process of getting entirely out of hand... normally QBs don't get 70 minutes to re-right themselves in the middle of a game.

It's not like the 49ers are great because of him. They were a 13-3 team last year, and won a playoff game with Alex Smith as their QB. Heck, Alex Smith had them at 6-2 this year before CK took over. All he had to do was go 3-4 with a team that went 13-3 last season in order to have a winning season. (I don't count the tie for either. It was a shared game.)

He had some good play in the playoffs, and some bad play. Lets be honest though, he has a great TE, a great running game, a great offensive line, a great defense with the best LBing corps in the league. It's not like he has to do a ton in order to look good... heck, Alex Smith had a 104.1 QB Rating this year before CK took over, which is higher than what CK finished with. He threw for 10 TDs in 7 starts, with 4 of them coming in 1 game. He had 4 fumbles in one game against the Pats.

To put it in perspective.. he had a game where he threw for 185 yards and 0 TDs.. and the 49ers won 27-13. That tells you the kind of team he had around him... now don't get me wrong, I think he's a pretty good QB and should get better.. but by no means do I think CK stands for Christ's Kid like some people apparently do. Nor do I think he'd do any better than Dalton has done with the team Dalton has around him. I'll take Andy every time.
CK played great last night. So did Flacco. SF lost due to a poor start coupled with turnovers and a huge ST gaffe. I think Colin passed for over 300 yards and accounted for three TD's. Both he and Flacco were able to put the ball in small windows where their WR's were 'covered' to extend drives. Also threw some deep passes that were absolutely money but not completed (one to Davis and another to Crabtree). he played great. You don't think so? You think Dalton has proved to be a gamer in the playoffs?

So you'd take Dalton over CK. How about Dalton or any/all of the following:

Luck
RGIII
Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post

Andy would've run.
Are you referring to the rollout? All he had was defenders in front of him and the sideline as far as I remember.

Truck, since your the PFF guy and most people on here seem to really respect PFF...how does PFF rate the two QB's? Do they have some sort of final tally (i.e. Rodger #1, Brady #2 etc etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Oh yeah. The game where Jay Gruden decided to avoid AJ like the plague in the first half? Andy was 4-10 for 3 yards at halftime due to Jay's brilliant game plan and several drops by Gresham.

Andy actually completed 10 passes in the 2nd half for 124 yards. So obviously it wasn't an Andy problem, it was a game plan problem.
You're looking more foolish the further this thing goes. First you insinuated that Dalton was in fact good with deep throw accuracy by brining out some ridiculous stat. To say that Dalton was anything other than atrocious in the Texans game is ridiculous. He was terrible. No way around it. I think he's been pretty good overall, but that game was brutal.

Just curious for the over the top Dalton guys, what about his game do you think is so good? I mean do you see him as having elite skills throwing short, intermediate, deep? His ability to diagnose, anticipate and put the ball on the spot? Ability to make plays outside of the pocket? Exactly what do you all see in his game that excites you so much about him?

By the same token, is there anything that you think Dalton does better than CK? Because all I'm hearing is that 'if you put Dalton on that SF team he'd be amazing'. Breaking down the players what do you all specifically think that Dalton has over CK? Because I am not seeing anything...and it's not even close.

Last edited by D.Boon; 02-04-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
CK played great last night. So did Flacco. SF lost due to a poor start coupled with turnovers and a huge ST gaffe. I think Colin passed for over 300 yards and accounted for three TD's. Both he and Flacco were able to put the ball in small windows where their WR's were 'covered' to extend drives. Also threw some deep passes that were absolutely money but not completed (one to Davis and another to Crabtree). he played great. You don't think so? You think Dalton has proved to be a gamer in the playoffs?

So you'd take Dalton over CK. How about Dalton or any/all of the following:

Luck
RGIII
Wilson
It's not hard to pass for over 300 yards when you trail 28-6 all of 11 seconds into the 2nd half. Look up how many QBs pass for 500 yards and actually win the game. Fact of the matter is, CK had sub-60% completion percentage, 1 passing TD, 1 INT (that led to 7 points), and 1 rushing TD. While 2-1 isn't terrible, it's not exactly "playing great".

As for the three QBs you just listed...
1. I think Luck is vastly overrated due to hype and a successful win-loss record... but when you actually stop to look at his stats, he had a SUB 55% completion percentage, which puts him at 37th out of 39 QBs in 2012 to have at least 100 pass attempts. Also his QB rating in the playoffs was lower than Andy Dalton's season completion percentage. That's not even going into the 18 INTs and 10 Fumbles (5 Lost) which if you include rushing TDs, that puts him at 28 TDs, 23 Turnovers... not impressive.

2. I really like Russell Wilson, but I think he's currently at about the same skill level as Dalton, but is just simply asked to do less in order to make his team successful. Lets be honest, BJGE is no Marshawn Lynch.. if Dalton had a RB who could rush for 1,590 yards at 5ypc and double digit rushing TDs, I am sure he'd have equal to or better numbers than Wilson. So I will stick with Dalton in a quasi-wash there.

3. No question that RG3 is easily the most talented QB out of the group. Best QB of the three? Debatable, but sheer talent and athleticism? Not debatable. But he's a 217lb QB who is going to run it 100+ times a season. There's a reason the last time I saw him on a football field, he was crumpled on the ground. There's no guarantee he'll be the same, and even if he comes back 100%, how long until he gets hurt again? That's simply the fate of a light, running focused QB.

Now am I saying that Dalton is amazing? Of course not, but I think he is pretty darn good, just not flashy.. and everyone loves flashy. That's why people on here are always talking about a 3-4 defense.. which is more exciting? Jared Allen getting 22 sacks in 2011 as a 4-3 DE, or Von Miller with 18.5 and Aldon Smith with 19.5 as a 3-4 OLB? Of course everyone's going to say Miller and Smith, because 3-4 OLBs are flashy, while 4-3 DEs just kind of get work done.... but the thing is, there's nothing wrong with just getting it done. Andy Dalton's done a hell of a good job with what he's been given to work with. He only had one legitimate every down WR, and it's not his fault his OC decided that throwing to him for the first 35 minutes of a playoff game sounded silly... nor is it his fault that after BJGE starts running amazingly at first in the playoff game but only gets three carries in the first half.

But now that I read your post, you said how about Dalton "or any/all of the following".. to which I say, yes I will take Luck, Wilson, AND RG3 over Dalton.. because I could take two of the three and outright rob Arizona and Buffalo for all their draft picks.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Orange View Post
I hate this thread
Its like a turd in the punchbowl....

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26264

Colin Kaepernick is terrific at running the read-option offense. This fits with the 49ers' philosophy. Therefore, San Francisco was correct when they drafted him.

Andy Dalton is terrific at running the traditional balanced offense. This fits with the Bengals' philosophy. Therefore, Cincinnati was correct when they drafted him.

Comparing Andy Dalton to Colin Kaepernick is impossible because each quarterback operates within completely different offensive systems. If, somehow, they were interchanged, you would see two very frustrated young players trying to run two very frustrated offenses which would result in two sets of very frustrated fan bases.

Last edited by Fan_in_Kettering; 02-04-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Colin Kaepernick is terrific at running the read-option offense. This fits with the 49ers' philisophy. Therefore, San Francisco was correct when they drafted him.

Andy Dalton is terrific at running the traditional balanced offense. This fits with the Bengals' philosophy. Therefore, Cincinnati was correct when they drafted him.

Comparing Andy Dalton to Colin Kaepernick is impossible because each quarterback operates within completely different offensive systems. If, somehow, they were interchanged, you would see two very frustrated young players trying to run two very frustrated offenses which would result in two sets of very frustrated fan bases.
I don't get the whole 'we can't compare this guy to that guy' logic. We can compare AJ Green to Michael Crabtree, no? They're in different offenses, but one guy is taller, more athletic, able to get the ball at his highest point etc (that would be Green just in case you all couldnt' figure it out).

Yes, they are in different offenses. But one QB is far more physically gifted in every measureable category and throws the ball with better velocity, touch and accuracy. Has also proven to be extremely poised (that would be CK).

Said it before but this thread is like War and Peace...I have no issue w the Bengals drafting AD. He's been very good and it was Gruden's guy so that is good enough for me. But I don't see how anyone if somehow given the choice could prefer the present day version of Dalton to that of CK.

Quote:
It's not hard to pass for over 300 yards when you trail 28-6 all of 11 seconds into the 2nd half. Look up how many QBs pass for 500 yards and actually win the game. Fact of the matter is, CK had sub-60% completion percentage, 1 passing TD, 1 INT (that led to 7 points), and 1 rushing TD. While 2-1 isn't terrible, it's not exactly "playing great".

As for the three QBs you just listed...
1. I think Luck is vastly overrated due to hype and a successful win-loss record... but when you actually stop to look at his stats, he had a SUB 55% completion percentage, which puts him at 37th out of 39 QBs in 2012 to have at least 100 pass attempts. Also his QB rating in the playoffs was lower than Andy Dalton's season completion percentage. That's not even going into the 18 INTs and 10 Fumbles (5 Lost) which if you include rushing TDs, that puts him at 28 TDs, 23 Turnovers... not impressive.

2. I really like Russell Wilson, but I think he's currently at about the same skill level as Dalton, but is just simply asked to do less in order to make his team successful. Lets be honest, BJGE is no Marshawn Lynch.. if Dalton had a RB who could rush for 1,590 yards at 5ypc and double digit rushing TDs, I am sure he'd have equal to or better numbers than Wilson. So I will stick with Dalton in a quasi-wash there.

3. No question that RG3 is easily the most talented QB out of the group. Best QB of the three? Debatable, but sheer talent and athleticism? Not debatable. But he's a 217lb QB who is going to run it 100+ times a season. There's a reason the last time I saw him on a football field, he was crumpled on the ground. There's no guarantee he'll be the same, and even if he comes back 100%, how long until he gets hurt again? That's simply the fate of a light, running focused QB.

Now am I saying that Dalton is amazing? Of course not, but I think he is pretty darn good, just not flashy.. and everyone loves flashy. That's why people on here are always talking about a 3-4 defense.. which is more exciting? Jared Allen getting 22 sacks in 2011 as a 4-3 DE, or Von Miller with 18.5 and Aldon Smith with 19.5 as a 3-4 OLB? Of course everyone's going to say Miller and Smith, because 3-4 OLBs are flashy, while 4-3 DEs just kind of get work done.... but the thing is, there's nothing wrong with just getting it done. Andy Dalton's done a hell of a good job with what he's been given to work with. He only had one legitimate every down WR, and it's not his fault his OC decided that throwing to him for the first 35 minutes of a playoff game sounded silly... nor is it his fault that after BJGE starts running amazingly at first in the playoff game but only gets three carries in the first half.

But now that I read your post, you said how about Dalton "or any/all of the following".. to which I say, yes I will take Luck, Wilson, AND RG3 over Dalton.. because I could take two of the three and outright rob Arizona and Buffalo for all their draft picks.
This is why I like this thread (eventhough plenty ***** about it). It's so subjective. I actually would take Luck over all the young QB's if given the choice. I think he's the best passer of all of them and will ultimately have the best career. Love the others, too. People bring up Brees a lot with Dalton but I'm not seeing it. However, Wilson reminds me ALOT of Brees. Savvy, can buy time and put the ball anywhere on the field. RGIII is also insanely talented. So of course I'd take Luck, CK, WIlson and RGIII over Dalton which is not really a slam to Dalton...more of a compliment to how good those young QB's have been in such a short time.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Yes, they are in different offenses. But one QB is far more physically gifted in every measureable category and throws the ball with better velocity, touch and accuracy. Has also proven to be extremely poised (that would be CK).

But I don't see how anyone if somehow given the choice could prefer the present day version of Dalton to that of CK.

I would.

There are plenty of Colin Kaepernick #7 jerseys at Cardboard Heroes. There's one with your name on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would.

There are plenty of Colin Kaepernick #7 jerseys at Cardboard Heroes. There's one with your name on it.
Why? What do you think Dalton does better? What specifically do you think Dalton has over CK? Or do you just want to make 'witty' quips? Seriously, I'm trying to understand the logic that some have that say, 'yeah, Dalton is better'.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 873

Quote:
Why? What do you think Dalton does better? What specifically do you think Dalton has over CK? Or do you just want to make 'witty' quips? Seriously, I'm trying to understand the logic that some have that say, 'yeah, Dalton is better'.
He beat the Ravens.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
For the offense the Bengals run, Andy Dalton is better. For the offense San Francisco runs, Colin Kaepernick is better. While we're at it, I note that neither of these quarterbacks won a Lombardi Trophy this year. A better comparison to Andy Dalton in terms of talent and playing style is Joe Flacco but, at least for now, Joe Flacco is better.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8488

They're very different players first if all. More importantly look at the talent San Fransisco has. I think Andy would play just as well if he was in Colins shoes.

Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey513 View Post
He beat the Ravens.
Weak, dude. He threw for a TD in a meaningless game v. the Ravens second string defense. Let's not make more out of that than needs to be.

Quote:
For the offense the Bengals run, Andy Dalton is better. For the offense San Francisco runs, Colin Kaepernick is better. While we're at it, I note that neither of these quarterbacks won a Lombardi Trophy this year. A better comparison to Andy Dalton in terms of talent and playing style is Joe Flacco but, at least for now, Joe Flacco is better.
Neither won a Lombardi but one QB excelled in the playoffs and the other turned in the worst QB performance of the tournament. CK looked like he belonged..Dalton looked like the stage was too big and the game too fast. He was awful...

I think a young Palmer is a good comparison to Flacco...big dudes, slow, calm, big arms and can scorch you deep. Dalton, not seeing it. Plus, why do you think Dalton is better for the Bengals offense. CK throws better short, intermediate and deep. He also gives you the extra dimension of being deadly on the run. How would that not fit in any offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
They're very different players first if all. More importantly look at the talent San Fransisco has. I think Andy would play just as well if he was in Colins shoes.
I think he'd look a lot like Alex Smith in SF...where last year the niners were ranked near the bottom in offense. The niners were not an offensive juggernaut until CK took over. He's been a difference maker. Don't see how it can be argued.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Weak, dude. He threw for a TD in a meaningless game v. the Ravens second string defense. Let's not make more out of that than needs to be.

Neither won a Lombardi but one QB excelled in the playoffs and the other turned in the worst QB performance of the tournament. CK looked like he belonged..Dalton looked like the stage was too big and the game too fast. He was awful...

I think a young Palmer is a good comparison to Flacco...big dudes, slow, calm, big arms and can scorch you deep. Dalton, not seeing it. Plus, why do you think Dalton is better for the Bengals offense. CK throws better short, intermediate and deep. He also gives you the extra dimension of being deadly on the run. How would that not fit in any offense?

I think he'd look a lot like Alex Smith in SF...where last year the niners were ranked near the bottom in offense. The niners were not an offensive juggernaut until CK took over. He's been a difference maker. Don't see how it can be argued.
Its not weak its a fact. Yeah Kap was balling so hard last night they went into halftime looking dead, then he chokes and overthrows Crabtree on the final throw. Now that teams have film on him I doubt he has the same success. I don't get the Hate for Dalton he leads the Bengals(with major help from the defense) to back to back play-offs and people wanna crap on him. That said he better improve.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
One of the two wasn't told to not throw to his best WR for the first 35 minutes... and one of the two didn't have a RB who was running for 44 yards on 3 carries.. but inexplicably only gets 3 carries the entire first half........ You'd be amazed how those two things happening will make any QB look like the stage was too big and too fast. 14.7 yards per carry and you only run it 3 times.. best WR in the AFC and you refuse to call a play that gets the ball to him.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Its not weak its a fact. Yeah Kap was balling so hard last night they went into halftime looking dead, then he chokes and overthrows Crabtree on the final throw. Now that teams have film on him I doubt he has the same success. I don't get the Hate for Dalton he leads the Bengals(with major help from the defense) to back to back play-offs and people wanna crap on him. That said he better improve.
It's completely weak. yes, it's a fact. But that was a glorified pre-season game. It was meaningless. Did Flacco even play? A better measuring stick would be game 1 when both teams were 0-0 and nothing was determined. But hey, if you want to say that Dalton is a better QB bc the Bengals beat the Ravens 2nd stringers go for it. Pretty terrible argument though.

Plus, talk about defenses figuring out a guy...how was Dalton over the last 5 or 6 games? And why does Dalton get credit for 'leading' the Bengals to the playoffs when no one will give CK credit for getting to the SB. Especially when it was the niners offense that got them there of which he is the critical piece (lets not kid ourselves...Bengals got to the playoffs on the defense's back).

So I'll ask you what I've been asking the others (which no one has answered yet)

Specifically, what part of Dalton's game do you think is superior to CK's?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
One of the two wasn't told to not throw to his best WR for the first 35 minutes... and one of the two didn't have a RB who was running for 44 yards on 3 carries.. but inexplicably only gets 3 carries the entire first half........ You'd be amazed how those two things happening will make any QB look like the stage was too big and too fast. 14.7 yards per carry and you only run it 3 times.. best WR in the AFC and you refuse to call a play that gets the ball to him.
Do we know that he was 'told' not to? I know that Gresh was the primary, but what would stop Dalton from going through progressions and not throwing it Green's way? It was an awful game plan, though. But you have to admit, Dalton was abysmal in that game. Missed open WR's. Even on the ill advised Marvin Jones throw he was inaccurate (put the ball behind him). He was terrible. I don't see how this can be spun. We all watched it. Honestly, I think it was the worst game of his career. He looked so unsure of himself and just did not seem to be playing with any confidence.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's completely weak. yes, it's a fact. But that was a glorified pre-season game. It was meaningless. Did Flacco even play? A better measuring stick would be game 1 when both teams were 0-0 and nothing was determined. But hey, if you want to say that Dalton is a better QB bc the Bengals beat the Ravens 2nd stringers go for it. Pretty terrible argument though.

Plus, talk about defenses figuring out a guy...how was Dalton over the last 5 or 6 games? And why does Dalton get credit for 'leading' the Bengals to the playoffs when no one will give CK credit for getting to the SB. Especially when it was the niners offense that got them there of which he is the critical piece (lets not kid ourselves...Bengals got to the playoffs on the defense's back).

So I'll ask you what I've been asking the others (which no one has answered yet)

Specifically, what part of Dalton's game do you think is superior to CK's?
I give credit to kap for "leading" them to the SB. He didnt play all that well when he got there though(esp. in the red zone) But look what happened when the Ravens coaches had an extra week to prepare for him, if the lights didnt go out imo this game wouldnt have been close, cause you could tell Kap was nervous.

I think Dalton has better accuracy in the short to intermediate throws when the o-line is blocking. Sometimes Kap throws to hard. That said i like Kap and think he will be a fine QB.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I give credit to kap for "leading" them to the SB. He didnt play all that well when he got there though(esp. in the red zone) But look what happened when the Ravens coaches had an extra week to prepare for him, if the lights didnt go out imo this game wouldnt have been close, cause you could tell Kap was nervous.

I think Dalton has better accuracy in the short to intermediate throws when the o-line is blocking. Sometimes Kap throws to hard. That said i like Kap and think he will be a fine QB.
I think Kap is more accurate in all throws but we'll have to disagree there. To answer my own question, I think Dalton is really good in the red zone. I'd rather have CK there but Dalton was strong prior to the final 5 or 6 games.

I think CK was nervous which is totally understandible. Once he settled in he started balling. Once the offense was humming I don't think the Ravens D had an answer (and they were probably the best post-season defense at least). I think CK displays incredible touch also. As far as the last play, I don't think he choked. I think he had to make a split second decision and gave his WR a chance to make a play. he had a guy in his face almost immediately. It was a good play on both sides of the ball...probably a penalty but could go either way.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think Kap is more accurate in all throws but we'll have to disagree there. To answer my own question, I think Dalton is really good in the red zone. I'd rather have CK there but Dalton was strong prior to the final 5 or 6 games.

I think CK was nervous which is totally understandible. Once he settled in he started balling. Once the offense was humming I don't think the Ravens D had an answer (and they were probably the best post-season defense at least). I think CK displays incredible touch also. As far as the last play, I don't think he choked. I think he had to make a split second decision and gave his WR a chance to make a play. he had a guy in his face almost immediately. It was a good play on both sides of the ball...probably a penalty but could go either way.
Id have trusted Dalton to throw that fade to AJ 100% to win the game. Dalton in the red zone is money, Kap not so much. Although Jim screwed up by not having Kap at least try one run to the end zone. Kap wouldnt have had time to calm down if not for the blackout 49ers got lucky there.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Id have trusted Dalton to throw that fade to AJ 100% to win the game. Dalton in the red zone is money, Kap not so much. Although Jim screwed up by not having Kap at least try one run to the end zone. Kap wouldnt have had time to calm down if not for the blackout 49ers got lucky there.
It helps to have AJ to go up and get those jump balls as he's probably the best in the game at that...but Andy has made good decisions overall in the redzone and has been effective. Not sure how much the blackout helped/or hurt. Both teams had to deal with it, but the niners definitely game out on fire. Maybe it was just time and they started clicking..who knows. I give them credit for their furious comeback. If they get a couple breaks on calls/non-calls CK leads the biggest comeback in SB history. there was the hold on Crabtree and also the blatant off sides on the 2 point conversion. I think the PI that sustained the ravens drive was pretty ticky tacky considering the non-call on the crabtree play. It was a damn good game, though.