Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default An interesting mock

from http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/201...-superbowl-24/

This is a pretty different mock from others that I have seen. For instance, he has Jarvis Jones lasting until the Browns pick in the 3rd round. That aside I would not mind our first 3 picks looking as he projects. Highly unlikely, but they would be appreciated I think, well except for our 3rd round pick.

Bengals picks
1. Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
2. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
2. Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia
3. Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida

I hate the Xavier Nixon pick. Simply hate it. The other 3 would be walk off home runs if they came to pass. Also if Jarvis Jones is sliding, as predicted here, I am trading our 3rd and our 2nd next year and moving up to grab him. Jones has an insane amount of talent as a rush LB and a LB core of Jones, Burfict, and Ogletree would be godly. To finish out this draft I would look at Shawn Williams in the 4th, RB at 5, Michael Williams at 6 and Branden Smith in the 6b slot.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20756
Default Re: An interesting mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post

This is a pretty different mock from others that I have seen. For instance, he has Jarvis Jones lasting until the Browns pick in the 3rd round. That aside I would not mind our first 3 picks looking as he projects. Highly unlikely, but they would be appreciated I think, well except for our 3rd round pick.

Bengals picks

I hate the Xavier Nixon pick. Simply hate it. The other 3 would be walk off home runs if they came to pass. Also if Jarvis Jones is sliding, as predicted here, I am trading our 3rd and our 2nd next year and moving up to grab him. Jones has an insane amount of talent as a rush LB and a LB core of Jones, Burfict, and Ogletree would be godly. To finish out this draft I would look at Shawn Williams in the 4th, RB at 5, Michael Williams at 6 and Branden Smith in the 6b slot.
But if Jones is a top ten talent and he's slid all the way to the 3rd, wouldn't the rason he slid that far scream stay away?

As far as the draft, I haven no problem with Warmack. If you can get one of the better linemen in the draft, go for it. At 21, the chances of him being at the top of the board are very high, right?

Okafor--if MJ and Gilberry aren't both signed, then okay. Otherwise, maybe grab a DE later to replace Geathers if he isn't re-signed and go S or RB there instead.

I'm all over getting Ogletree with the 2A.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

Jarvis Jones is worth the risk at #21, let alone the 2nd or 3rd round.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

This mock is pretty bad. Someone would take a flyer on Jones long before the third. Daquan Bowers who had a degenerative knee condition that most believe would limit him to one contract went at pick 51. I hate this draft for us as well as I don't think G is a need (Boling did well and is only getting better). I hate the Okafor pick and think he is more of a 3-4 LB than 4-3 DE. The only pick I even like is Ogletree.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Agreed. If Jones is there at 20, I'm standing at the podium, card in hand until Chicago get's their pick in.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1325

Quote:
We are in a bad spot for jones. IF he is there then there is clearly wrong with his knee and we should pass. However if his knee checks out he will be long gone before 21.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 200

I'm more worried about Jones spine than knee!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksob53 View Post
I'm more worried about Jones spine than knee!
I have ZERO concerns about his spine.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Bengals picks

I really can't see Warmack or Ogletree on the board when we pick at the spots that they have them at.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5552

Quote:

Bengals picks

After the first 4 or 5 tackles in the draft the playing field levels out for 5 or 6 thru 10 to 12
Meaning the first 4 or 5 are projected 1st rounders, early 2nd round...the next 6 or so rate from the 2nd to 4th rounds with Nixon projected anywhere from 2 to 4...I am not sure if you meant that you do not like Nixon in general or taking a Tackle in this spot...I would assume that this mocker is assuming Andre leaves via FA....draft a Tackle like Nixon or similar...let Collins play RT next year and groom this years draft pick to start next year...I do not have a problem with taking a Tackle if this is the case...should it be Nixon?....I guess that depends on who is available......
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

Quote:

Bengals picks

That alone made me take nothing from this mock seriously. If Jarvis Jones is there for SOME reason at 21. Jump on him. The second you're on the clock, throw it in.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

Quote:

Bengals picks

Ogletree wont be there at 2B, barring a horrible Combine.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
After the first 4 or 5 tackles in the draft the playing field levels out for 5 or 6 thru 10 to 12
Meaning the first 4 or 5 are projected 1st rounders, early 2nd round...the next 6 or so rate from the 2nd to 4th rounds with Nixon projected anywhere from 2 to 4...I am not sure if you meant that you do not like Nixon in general or taking a Tackle in this spot...I would assume that this mocker is assuming Andre leaves via FA....draft a Tackle like Nixon or similar...let Collins play RT next year and groom this years draft pick to start next year...I do not have a problem with taking a Tackle if this is the case...should it be Nixon?....I guess that depends on who is available......
It seems to be assumed that if Andre did leave that someone else would have to come in to play RT. Why couldn't AC play RT for even more than a year? Could be way off base but he always seems to play pretty well to me.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
It seems to be assumed that if Andre did leave that someone else would have to come in to play RT. Why couldn't AC play RT for even more than a year? Could be way off base but he always seems to play pretty well to me.
I think he easily could start if we did lose Andre. Either way though we would have to do something to get back up tackles.

I'm with you though. I think he does well every time he is given the opportunity. So it isn't like we absolutely have to take one early if for some reason we lose Andre.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I cannot answer that question but I will take a guess...If AC could play that position then he would have started there when we drafted Andre...in 2008 and 2009 AC played in 23 games starting 13 at LT and RT...Andre broke his foot and AC played....must not have been good enough...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I cannot answer that question but I will take a guess...If AC could play that position then he would have started there when we drafted Andre...in 2008 and 2009 AC played in 23 games starting 13 at LT and RT...Andre broke his foot and AC played....must not have been good enough...
Maybe he's gotten better. Hopefully, Andre stays and it's a non-issue.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I think he easily could start if we did lose Andre. Either way though we would have to do something to get back up tackles.

I'm with you though. I think he does well every time he is given the opportunity. So it isn't like we absolutely have to take one early if for some reason we lose Andre.
Right. There are some developmental T's later, right, for depth?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

Quote:

Bengals picks

what is this guy smoking and he should share. there is no way alex okafor and elc ogletree fall to where you have them.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post

I would love AC to get a chance...just looked at some stats...Andrews was here in 2008 and started 15 games at RT...AC played some LT when Jones got hurt....In 2009 Roland started 12 games when Andre broke his foot and AC the rest...seems AC has had his chances but for some reason did not hang on
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
I would love AC to get a chance...just looked at some stats...Andrews was here in 2008 and started 15 games at RT...AC played some LT when Jones got hurt....In 2009 Roland started 12 games when Andre broke his foot and AC the rest...seems AC has had his chances but for some reason did not hang on
The problem starts with Paul ends with Alexander.

I think Collins has done some things that have displeased the coaches over the years. From what I have seen it didn't happen on the field during a game though.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 63

Quote:
I really can't see Warmack or Ogletree on the board when we pick at the spots that they have them at.
No chance Ogletree slips to two, I will be surprised if he is around at 21, unless something unexpected comes up at the combine
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2791

By far the worst mock I've seen this year, it ranks right up there with the worst of all-time. Either this is a big joke, or they hate the Georgia Bulldogs with a passion.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 268

Jones has spinal stenosis. Better not draft him in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
This mock is pretty bad. Someone would take a flyer on Jones long before the third. Daquan Bowers who had a degenerative knee condition that most believe would limit him to one contract went at pick 51. I hate this draft for us as well as I don't think G is a need (Boling did well and is only getting better). I hate the Okafor pick and think he is more of a 3-4 LB than 4-3 DE. The only pick I even like is Ogletree.
I know Boling did well, but Warmack would be an upgrade. So you can't knock picking Warmack if he is available and I think he will be. DeCastro was expected to go in the top 10 last year and he fell. Really if Warmack is there the only way I am happy about not taking him is if we traded and got more picks.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Quote:

Bengals picks

Assuming we add a S in FA then I'd be stoked if it went down like this. Warmack at LG would be a huge upgrade to the line as we'd be able to move Boling to C and have one of the youngest, most promising lines in the league (this isn't to say that Boling is a weakness at LG by any means).

Okafor and Ogletree in 2 would be a huge win. Nixon has a ton of upside; but we'd be better off with the best available runner or S in 3. Still pretty great draft.