Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12017
Default Re: Ravens saved by the Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Why yeah, ain't you heard? Ray Ray getting ready to have someone pen that "redemption story" for him, complete with the happy ending in the Super Bowl....hell, his ol' buddy Gooddell wouldn't have it any other way! Ol' Rog probably gets a kickback on the movie rights!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2278

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars304 View Post
What about on the safety when the ravens had ahold of a guy by the waste from behind for a good 5 seconds? There is no way a punter gets 9 seconds without some holding going on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
It was holding and only proves my point the refs were told not to call any penalties at the end.

People keep saying what difference does it make as holding in the end zone has the same result.

I'll tell you the difference...if the punter had managed to run those last 4 seconds off a flag would have resulted in the safety punt as the game cannot end in a penalty. I cannot explain for the life of me how you have a punt block on that yard line and the punter runs free for 7 seconds in that limited space.

Those guys were told to hold and knew no flag would be thrown. I also call shenanigans on that 4th and goal. Smith held from the snap. How do you not worry about getting the flag in that situation and losing the game? He was told to hold and that there would be no flag. They called just enough penalties to influence a competitive game and even the power outage. In the end I don't think they anticipated the 49ers being that close to winning.

My wife asked me before the game who'd win since she was betting her father. I told her it will be close in the end and a controversial call or no call will win the game for the Ravens.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13139

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
It was holding and only proves my point the refs were told not to call any penalties at the end.

People keep saying what difference does it make as holding in the end zone has the same result.

I'll tell you the difference...if the punter had managed to run those last 4 seconds off a flag would have resulted in the safety punt as the game cannot end in a penalty. I cannot explain for the life of me how you have a punt block on that yard line and the punter runs free for 7 seconds in that limited space.

Those guys were told to hold and knew no flag would be thrown. I also call shenanigans on that 4th and goal. Smith held from the snap. How do you not worry about getting the flag in that situation and losing the game? He was told to hold and that there would be no flag. They called just enough penalties to influence a competitive game and even the power outage. In the end I don't think they anticipated the 49ers being that close to winning.

My wife asked me before the game who'd win since she was betting her father. I told her it will be close in the end and a controversial call or no call will win the game for the Ravens.

LOL...Conspiracy much???
Break out the foil hats!!

BMOREBLITZ
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4686

Quote:
Wtf...no he wasn't. He hit a certain point and was knocked back 2 yards by the first defender. Then as he was getting tackled backwards the next defender coming from the defensive side of the ball (where forward progress was stopped) and knocked the ball loose. Was most definitely a missed forward progress call.
hey stonehead, the REFS hadn't blown the whistle dead so guess what, FUMBLE, RAVENS BALL!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4686

Quote:

WAHWAHWAHWAH, translation= RAVENS 34 49ers 31
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
LOL...Conspiracy much???

All I'm going to say is, have you ever participated in talking about the conspiracy theories surrounding the Steelers SB wins?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8969

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM TROY View Post
hey stonehead, the REFS hadn't blown the whistle dead so guess what, FUMBLE, RAVENS BALL!
Yeah that fumble was a no brainer. Not only didn't they blow it dead, but it shouldn't have been blown dead at that point.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM TROY View Post
Yeah so because they didn't blow the whistle does not mean they shouldn't have.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
LOL...Conspiracy much???

Go ahead and debunk it. I'd love to hear from a Ravens fan why there wasn't a hold called on either the kick return, fourth and goal, or safety. I don't care about any other play. Those three plays where there is obvious picture evidence of blatant breakage of the rules. Why were there not flags thrown?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Mars304:
Remember the “official bet with umkubas”:
Just wanted to let everyone know, as long as the Bengals win tomorrow, we will never have to see umkubus AGAIN...EVER. I have made a bet with him, that if the bengals win, he can never post on this website again. If the Bengals lose, I will disappear forever. I will take the bullet for the possibility of nobody ever having to read the robots posts ever again.

So lets all cheer on the Bengals and watch them beat the texans tomorrow.

From today’s posts in this thread:

Or how about when the ravens player shoved the ref during one of the brawls and stayed in the game? Or when a ravens player is actually holding on to someone at the waste from behind for a good 5 seconds and never got a call? Or the fact that the ravens defender maintained contact well after 5 yards in the end zone and never so much as looked for the ball? Those are just the ones that stand out that were blatantly obvious. I wasn't even rooting for the 9ers, because I didn't wanna see either team win, but the officiating was very one sided and ridiculous.

I'm referring to the lack of calls against the ravens. If one team is playing dirty, and the other is not, the totals should not even be close. But have fun making excuses for your ravens. Congrats on your team buying a superbowl victory.

Really? Because even after the hold he was almost there. I'm talking like 3 feet away. I'm calling bs on this one. It's not just that one play, I've never seen a more blatant hold in my life, and it wasn't called. Ravens didn't deserve the win. Complete bs.

What about on the safety when the ravens had ahold of a guy by the waste from behind for a good 5 seconds? There is no way a punter gets 9 seconds without some holding going on.

Well that's a rule that needs changed then because there is nothing to stop a team from doing that and cheating. Like I said, complete bs.

STAY OFF THIS BOARD – YOU LOST THE BET – KEEP YOUR WORD - umkubas
Sorry. Any bet with you doesn't count. You're not a real person.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11968

Quote:
Go ahead and debunk it. I'd love to hear from a Ravens fan why there wasn't a hold called on either the kick return, fourth and goal, or safety. I don't care about any other play. Those three plays where there is obvious picture evidence of blatant breakage of the rules. Why were there not flags thrown?

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:

With the current rules in place, nothing the Ravens did here is illegal as far as i'm aware. Think about it though. If you're Harbaugh and there's 11 seconds left and you're going to give up the safety anyway, why wouldn't you tell your guys to hold to give the punter more time?

That rule needs to be changed/adjusted/added so that if someone intentionally holds in that situation, it's a 10 yd penalty causing the kicking team to punt from the 10 yard line and the refs should be allowed to go to replay to determine how much time was on the clock when the initial hold occurred.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
All I'm going to say is, have you ever participated in talking about the conspiracy theories surrounding the Steelers SB wins?
Nope I haven't.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
1. The kick return??? There was no hold.....

2. Fourth and goal??? As the refs stated the ball was not catachable.

3. The safety??? Yes there was holding....How would it have changed the game? Do you know what the penalty for holding in the endzone is??? A Safety! Exactly what the Ravens wanted. Same amount of time would have went off the clock because you know what... A flag does not stop the play. It gets thrown after the play is over. And what would be the results??? THE SAME

BMOREBLITZ
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 16863

There Are No Conspiracies.....all multi-billion dollar businesses are left up to chance....

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !

Last edited by NashvilleBengalfan; 02-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1214

Not sure how many in here have done any officiating, but I've umpired different levels of baseball for many years and I can honestly say, that it's possible for officials to, subconsciously, get 'caught up in the moment' of momentum and big game drama. Not intentional or cheating, but totally subconscious. Momentum drama can spread in that way too, even on the amateur level. It's happened to me a few times as an umpire and I can imagine it could happen to football officials as well, especially since the game is so much faster paced!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
With the current rules in place, nothing the Ravens did here is illegal as far as i'm aware. Think about it though. If you're Harbaugh and there's 11 seconds left and you're going to give up the safety anyway, why wouldn't you tell your guys to hold to give the punter more time?

That rule needs to be changed/adjusted/added so that if someone intentionally holds in that situation, it's a 10 yd penalty causing the kicking team to punt from the 10 yard line and the refs should be allowed to go to replay to determine how much time was on the clock when the initial hold occurred.
Why would you tell your guys to hold? If for some miraculous chance they all hold and the punter runs out the clock and officials throw the flag, the game is extended to an unclocked down due to the rule that the game cannot end on a penalty.

Regardless I'm fine with the strategy if that's what Harbaugh did. The problems lies with the officiating. The game should be called to the letter of the rule book regardless if its a minute into the game or there's 11 seconds left.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
1. The kick return??? There was no hold.....

2. Fourth and goal??? As the refs stated the ball was not catachable.

3. The safety??? Yes there was holding....How would it have changed the game? Do you know what the penalty for holding in the endzone is??? A Safety! Exactly what the Ravens wanted. Same amount of time would have went off the clock because you know what... A flag does not stop the play. It gets thrown after the play is over. And what would be the results??? THE SAME
You obviously don't know that much about football if the above is truly your response.

1. There was a hold and a fellow poster posted a picture of it on the kickoff.

2. Since when does a ball have to be catchable for holding or illegal contact...both occurred.

3. Regardless the outcomes are not always the same. If the punter runs the clock out and a flag is thrown for holding there will still be the untimed safety punt. Had the punter ran off the last 4 seconds and the hold go uncalled...game over. IE NOT THE SAME

The flag not being called and the blatant hold tells me they were banking on running the clock down hoping for no miracle kick return.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10467

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
Not sure how many in here have done any officiating, but I've umpired different levels of baseball for many years and I can honestly say, that it's possible for officials to, subconsciously, get 'caught up in the moment' of momentum and big game drama. Not intentional or cheating, but totally subconscious. Momentum drama can spread in that way too, even on the amateur level. It's happened to me a few times as an umpire and I can imagine it could happen to football officials as well, especially since the game is so much faster paced!
Not that the hold at the end with safety would have mattered but by simply not even throwing a flag every official on the field was every stupid, incompetent, blind or, well, in on something.

They can't ALL miss it. Even if it doesn't affect the outcome...someone had to see it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: rfaulk34 is dumb, BTB is dumber...However Neek is the Mt. Everest of dumb….
Rep Points: 26586

Quote:
Why would you tell your guys to hold? If for some miraculous chance they all hold and the punter runs out the clock and officials throw the flag, the game is extended to an unclocked down due to the rule that the game cannot end on a penalty.

Regardless I'm fine with the strategy if that's what Harbaugh did. The problems lies with the officiating. The game should be called to the letter of the rule book regardless if its a minute into the game or there's 11 seconds left.
I do not think the game is extended to a non timed play in the event of an offensive penalty. The game is extended only in the event of a defensive penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8948

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdino View Post
Not that the hold at the end with safety would have mattered but by simply not even throwing a flag every official on the field was every stupid, incompetent, blind or, well, in on something.

They can't ALL miss it. Even if it doesn't affect the outcome...someone had to see it.
They were blinded by the photos of Ray Lewis holding their loved ones at knife point shown to them during the pre-game.

What do you think Harbaugh was yelling at that security guy during the blackout? He was telling him to remind the refs who was holding the lives of their families.

Either that or they got the replacement refs back and stuck them in some Mission Impossible style masks.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26846

Quote:
Yeah so because they didn't blow the whistle does not mean they shouldn't have.
Good lord are you serious? I certainly hope not. I pity you if you're serious. Seriously.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27472

Not a Ravens fan but it seemed to me they were saved by the 49ers terrible play

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10689

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBengalfan View Post
There Are No Conspiracies.....all multi-billion dollar businesses are left up to chance....
Exactly!!!!! Carry on!!

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Not a Ravens fan but it seemed to me they were saved by the 49ers terrible play
Agreed. With some better playcalling (i.e. when you have 3 plays to make 5 yards, NOT throwing them all the Crabtree with pretty poor route designs at that), the 49er's probably would've overcome those calls. For me they blew it with the playcalling there.