Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668
Default The Coaching Advantage

How much of a difference does coaching make?

I remember in the preseason, there were threads claiming the Ravens would fall off. Suggs is injured. They lost Grubbs in free agency. Webb is injured. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are getting older. They're going to fall off the map!

Well, they destroyed us in Week 1 and went on to win the Super Bowl.

I don't think the Ravens are the most talented team in football. They do have talent, no doubt. I'd say their roster is about equal to ours overall.

What I did see was EVERY single playoff game they showed up with emotion ready to play! Contrast that to our game against Houston where they showed Green and Gresham on the sidelines and they looked like they were tranqualized.

The Ravens always show up ready to play. They play with emotion. They are well coached. They are a quality organization.

They have won a playoff game something like 5 years in a row.

They overcome injuries.

I put a lot of this on coaching! Their coach knows how to motivate them. It isn't even about X's and O's. Football is an emotional sport.

The Bengals come out flat too much. I question even with an extremely talented roster if our player can be motivated consistantly.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29932
Default Re: The Coaching Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post

I remember in the preseason, there were threads claiming the Ravens would fall off. Suggs is injured. They lost Grubbs in free agency. Webb is injured. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are getting older. They're going to fall off the map!

I don't think the Ravens are the most talented team in football. They do have talent, no doubt. I'd say their roster is about equal to ours overall.

What I did see was EVERY single playoff game they showed up with emotion ready to play! Contrast that to our game against Houston where they showed Green and Gresham on the sidelines and they looked like they were tranqualized.

The Ravens always show up ready to play. They play with emotion. They are well coached. They are a quality organization.

They overcome injuries.

I put a lot of this on coaching! Their coach knows how to motivate them. It isn't even about X's and O's. Football is an emotional sport.

The Bengals come out flat too much. I question even with an extremely talented roster if our player can be motivated consistantly.
well when were saying Lewis was getting older we had no idea he was juicying like armstrong.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
well when were saying Lewis was getting older we had no idea he was juicying like armstrong.
They do tests in the NFL. That deer antler spray is just to help his injury heal.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

It's no coincidence that the team with the best front office and ownership in the NFL is winning games nearly every year in the playoffs.

It all starts at the top.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
It's no coincidence that the team with the best front office and ownership in the NFL is winning games nearly every year in the playoffs.

It all starts at the top.
Totally agree. We've improved the roster and it's getting us a little more regular season success...but coaching and being able to exploit mismatches is what shines in the playoffs.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588

Quote:
Totally agree. We've improved the roster and it's getting us a little more regular season success...but coaching and being able to exploit mismatches is what shines in the playoffs.
I would also say that players making plays is a big part of that as well. Coaches have to get their guys in the right spots and then they have to make plays. Bolden makes that amazing catch on 3rd and 1, we can't get our wide open TE to make catches.

It ain't about the X's and O's its about the Jimmy's and Joes'. Until our Jimmy's and Joe's get a little better, were going to be a one and done team.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14951

Quote:

They overcome injuries.

It ain't the coaches getting them motivated....how would you like to have a guy who got away with murder getting in your face as your "emotional leader"?! Now THAT'S motivating!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyche'sWarrior View Post
It ain't the coaches getting them motivated....how would you like to have a guy who got away with murder getting in your face as your "emotional leader"?! Now THAT'S motivating!
Im sure Donte Stallworth is available
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3013

Coaching is alot of it, but having great vet players is a bigger part imo. Ravens have what 4 guys on D that could be in the running for DPOTY EVERY YEAR IF HEALTHY. Offense has a great RB great TE and 2 great WRs. O line also has alot of expierence.

Our team, is just too young......

Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Coaching is alot of it, but having great vet players is a bigger part imo. Ravens have what 4 guys on D that could be in the running for DPOTY EVERY YEAR IF HEALTHY. Offense has a great RB great TE and 2 great WRs. O line also has alot of expierence.

Our team, is just too young......
We're always young because we don't really sign free agents that provide impact.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21359
bengals Re: The Coaching Advantage

Quote:

They overcome injuries.

So to perform your job as a grown man on a daily basis does your boss have to come in and give you a rah-rah speech? I seem to perform my job each day on a consistently high level without someone having to come in and talk me into it. For that matter I do it for much less than what an NFL player on average makes.

It is a thing called pride.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 38301

Teams are a reflection of their coach. Bengals are an emotionless and flat team that overcome obstacles from time to time. Ravens and 49ers are very serious, fiery teams with attitudes. The Seahawks are a highly emotional/borderline dirty team, like their coach. The Jets are loudmouth bunch with a lot of talk and little results. The Patriots are a collected and calm team that plays smart football and wants to bury you. Etc...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16841

Quote:
They do tests in the NFL. That deer antler spray is just to help his injury heal.
So you are suggesting Lewis gets to use a banned subsatnce to heal faster and all of the other injured players don't

I fail to see the logic in your statement
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13217

Quote:

They overcome injuries.

Let's keep it real. Ravens have 2 definite hall of famers in Lewis and Reed the past 9 years. They also have Rice, Ngata, Suggs, Bolden (so about 25 years of experience in just these guys) and Yanda, Burk and Flacco.

They just won a Super Bowl barely by 3. They barley beat Denver. Let's make sure we look at all the facts. Their front office and coaching staff is very good, but great players can make any coaching staff look great. Let's see how they do next year and beyond. If they win it all again next year without the hall of famers, then I will give them more props.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13217

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
So to perform your job as a grown man on a daily basis does your boss have to come in and give you a rah-rah speech? I seem to perform my job each day on a consistently high level without someone having to come in and talk me into it. For that matter I do it for much less than what an NFL player on average makes.

It is a thing called pride.
Exactly. These guys are paid a ton of money to be motivated. Players on the Bengals get too many free passes.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37284

You think Jim Harbaugh does a poor job of motivating? ATL and BALT jumped all over them.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1715

Marvin has gotten better. He has made better decisions last 2 years. Hes not jim schwartz bad. Our defense is real good were not quite at either 49ers or Ravens level defensively.
Offensively Andy needs some help sanu hawkins and AJ isnt enough. AJ is great but if no one else on the team scares you you can double him all game and force someone else to beat you. With the really good teams its not enough too win. Andy I feel will take us to the postseason every year. We need another weapon besides AJ.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014

Jim Harbaugh is the perfect example of what a GREAT coach can do for a team. He took a very below average team in San Francisco and turned them into a Super Bowl team in two years. Singletary led the 49ers to an 18-22 overall record over three season. Harbaugh took a team that was run into the ground, added a few key players and took them to a Super Bowl.

Marvin Lewis has been a good coach and is responsible for giving the Bengals and its fan base some optimism for the future. With that being said, I feel like Marvin has reached his climax as the Bengals head coach. I do not see how he could get any farther as our Head Coach. He just does not strike me as a the coach to lead us to the Super Bowl. For us to take the next step, we need to go out and find a coach who inspires players to give 150% on every snap, of every game, for their entire career. Someone who will get in the face of a player and hold a player responsible. Someone with some fire. Someone who doesnt giggle and or push away questions at the podium.

John and Jim Harbaugh are two of the top 5 coaches in the game right now. There certainly is a coaching advantage.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14506

Coaching is a huge part of it ! By and large there's not that much difference player wise in the NFL. Sure Brady, Rodgers, or whoever make a big difference. But it takes 22 guys being lead well to win it all, bottom line.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Jim Harbaugh is the perfect example of what a GREAT coach can do for a team. He took a very below average team in San Francisco and turned them into a Super Bowl team in two years. Singletary led the 49ers to an 18-22 overall record over three season. Harbaugh took a team that was run into the ground, added a few key players and took them to a Super Bowl.

Marvin Lewis has been a good coach and is responsible for giving the Bengals and its fan base some optimism for the future. With that being said, I feel like Marvin has reached his climax as the Bengals head coach. I do not see how he could get any farther as our Head Coach. He just does not strike me as a the coach to lead us to the Super Bowl. For us to take the next step, we need to go out and find a coach who inspires players to give 150% on every snap, of every game, for their entire career. Someone who will get in the face of a player and hold a player responsible. Someone with some fire. Someone who doesnt giggle and or push away questions at the podium.

John and Jim Harbaugh are two of the top 5 coaches in the game right now. There certainly is a coaching advantage.
Please, consider a different phrase.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Please, consider a different phrase.
Hahaha sorry.....how about "peak"?

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Apex?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
You think Jim Harbaugh does a poor job of motivating? ATL and BALT jumped all over them.
He's a half-time motivator.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Apex?
Pinnacle?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:

They overcome injuries.

I think the Ravens coaches take care of game planning and the Ravens players take care of emotion and intensity.

If a coach has to get you emotionally ready to play, you're in the wrong business.