Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089
Default Post Super Bowl Mock

1: traded back for early second and early third

2A: Matt Elam, SS Florida - Keep Nelson where he is, and get a safety that is all over the place. Only concern is his aggression, which hopefully can be harnessed like Burfict's was.

2B: Terrance Williams, WR Baylor - Here is our big, fast outside receiver to be opposite of Green. A true deep threat that had fantastic production throughout his career, even without RGIII his senior year. A starting lineup of Green and Williams on the outsides with Sanu in the slot...my mouth waters just thinking about it.

2C: Arthur Brown, LB Kansas St - Tough between Brown, Greene, and Porter. Chose Brown because of his ability to play both OLB and ILB, and his ability to shed blocks.

3A: Joseph Randle, RB Oklahoma St - A RB that can complement BJGE well and also carry the load if needed, which he has proven once Kendall Hunter went into the NFL. A very gifted receiver with great speed and shiftiness, Joseph Randle should hopefully excel in stripes. He has the frame to bulk up another 5-10 lbs, which may benefit him if he were to come to the AFC North.

3B: Jamie Collins, OLB Southern Miss - Has played all over the defense, and would ideally line up as our starting SAM. He would share time with one of Maybin, Moch, or Joiner.

4: Leon McFadden, CB San Diego St
- Good round to invest in some more youth at CB. McFadden has the playmaking ability, but is somewhat short and plays in a weaker conference.

5: David Bass, DE Southern Missouri St - Sack machine that could develop into a true beast as a situational player in our scheme.

5(comp): Michael Williams, TE Alabama
- Multiple threat at TE that excels at blocking.

6A: Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR Utah St
- Speedster with great hands that can replace both Leonard on third downs and Tate on KRs.

6B: Manase Foketi, OT West Texas A&M
- Small school prospect with good potential. Needs to develop, but would be replacing Roland.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-05-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Pick 2B from RB to WR, pick 3A from WR to RB.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: Post Super Bowl Mock

I'm not the biggest Elam fan, but would take him as long as it's in the 2nd.

Bernard at 2b would be tremendous value and is also my best guess to complement BJGE.

Brown to me seems a little small to play inside but would love him at SAM or WILL.

Like the Rogers pick.

I've seen him more and more in these mocks now. He's got Jarvis Jones numbers at a smaller school so I'll take him.

Like the McFadden pick.

I'll take the rest of the draft as well, it sounds weird to have a 5th rounder on your top 10 want list, but for me that's Michael Williams.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
I'm not the biggest Elam fan, but would take him as long as it's in the 2nd.

Bernard at 2b would be tremendous value and is also my best guess to complement BJGE.

Brown to me seems a little small to play inside but would love him at SAM or WILL.

Like the Rogers pick.

I've seen him more and more in these mocks now. He's got Jarvis Jones numbers at a smaller school so I'll take him.

Like the McFadden pick.

I'll take the rest of the draft as well, it sounds weird to have a 5th rounder on your top 10 want list, but for me that's Michael Williams.
Yea feelings about the same on Brown. He would need to add about 10 lbs of muscle at least to handle NFL caliber OL and TE, making him currently best utilized at WILL. What amazes me is his ability to shed blocks so well, given how "little" he is.

To clarify the 2B pick, it would be an early second round pick. Since we would be trading back, we could trade with a team that picks either before or slightly after the Raiders pick, so it's hard to label whether 2A or 2B is the traded pick and which is the Raiders pick.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24226

Brown being undersized is a myth.
His brother Bryce measured in at 5-11. Brown has at least 2 inches on him.

Keith Bulluck and Derrick Brooks both played a WLB spot at under 240 lbs.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Brown being undersized is a myth.
His brother Bryce measured in at 5-11. Brown has at least 2 inches on him.

Keith Bulluck and Derrick Brooks both played a WLB spot at under 240 lbs.
6'1 is lots big for LB. He could easily get to 235lbs by the start of the season, and there's no reason why he couldn't play at that weight. Lavonte David played at 230lbs all season for TB.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
6'1 is lots big for LB. He could easily get to 235lbs by the start of the season, and there's no reason why he couldn't play at that weight.
Exactly.
Honestly, "size" is the only concern I have seen on Brown.
His play dictates being a much higher pick.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Exactly.
Honestly, "size" is the only concern I have seen on Brown.
His play dictates being a much higher pick.
Yea, when I've seen him being labeled as "undersized", I interpret that as his weight. He's 228 right now, and should be able to get to 235+ by end of TC. Then he would be pretty ideal for a 4-3 LB.

If Brown is gone by pick 53 (labeled 2C in my mock), either Sean Porter or Khaseem Greene if sticking to OLB.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2439

I really don't get the knock on size for these guys. If they can play and do the things needed like shedding blocks and tackling and covering for the position then what difference does 10 pounds make. Elvis Dumervil had the size knock on him even though he played like a top talent and look how he turned out. Oh and that one guy from Georgia that was too small to be an effective DT, Geno something was his name. This staff shouldn't hesitate one bit on drafting Brown. He is going to be a star in this league.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
I really don't get the knock on size for these guys. If they can play and do the things needed like shedding blocks and tackling and covering for the position then what difference does 10 pounds make. Elvis Dumervil had the size knock on him even though he played like a top talent and look how he turned out. Oh and that one guy from Georgia that was too small to be an effective DT, Geno something was his name. This staff shouldn't hesitate one bit on drafting Brown. He is going to be a star in this league.
Pretty much. As long as the guy understands how to play football and use leverage and his size to his advantage, it isn't a huge deal.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Ok, now that the whole "weight for a LB" brigade is through (JK) I want to say that lower
body torque can make up for lack of muscle as a linebacker. Especially when this is
the one position in the NFL where you gain the most exponential weight (besides Olineman).

If Brown can shake off blocks, I'd be happy for him as our OLB, just needs more build to be a MLB.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
1: traded back for early second and early third

2A: Matt Elam, SS Florida - Keep Nelson where he is, and get a safety that is all over the place. Only concern is his aggression, which hopefully can be harnessed like Burfict's was.

2B: Giovani Bernard, RB UNC - Near perfect complement to BJGE. All he is lacking is elite speed, but enough to get away once he hits the open field. More quick and agile than fast.

2C: Arthur Brown, LB Kansas St - Tough between Brown, Greene, and Porter. Chose Brown because of his ability to play both OLB and ILB, and his ability to shed blocks.

3A: Da'Rick Rogers, WR Tenn Tech - With all the receivers projected in the early rounds, one good one should fall. Rogers has character risks, but has the ability to be an elite WR2. Camp competition with Sanu and Jones for the spot.

3B: Jamie Collins, OLB Southern Miss - Has played all over the defense, and would ideally line up as our starting SAM. He would share time with one of Maybin, Moch, or Joiner.

4: Leon McFadden, CB San Diego St
- Good round to invest in some more youth at CB. McFadden has the playmaking ability, but is somewhat short and plays in a weaker conference.

5: David Bass, DE Southern Missouri St - Sack machine that could develop into a true beast as a situational player in our scheme.

5(comp): Michael Williams, TE Alabama
- Multiple threat at TE that excels at blocking.

6A: Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR Utah St
- Speedster with great hands that can replace both Leonard on third downs and Tate on KRs.

6B: Manase Foketi, OT West Texas A&M
- Small school prospect with good potential. Needs to develop, but would be replacing Roland.
i like this draft except i think there are better backs than bernard that we could get in later rounds, and da'rick rodgers is a punk we don't need nor want him on the bengals roster i don't care how talented he is.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonist7 View Post
i like this draft except i think there are better backs than bernard that we could get in later rounds, and da'rick rodgers is a punk we don't need nor want him on the bengals roster i don't care how talented he is.
Better backs in terms of what? Gruden has stated yet again that he wants a RB that can both complement BJGE well, but also can take on a bigger role if BJGE were to go down. Complements to BJGE need to be a RB that can catch, has more speed, and is shifty. Only other RBs I think that are close to fitting that mold are Johnathan Franklin and Joseph Randle. Kenjon Barner could be a candidate, but he'd need to bulk up some if he hopes to take on extra duties if BJGE were to go down. Same with Ellington, but Ellington needs to add less bulk. There are other fast RBs, but they do not have many receptions, so it's hard to judge whether they are good receiving threats. But yes, we could get a RB in round 3 instead.

Possibly swap the Rogers and Bernard picks to go WR with 2B (early second) and 3A (early first). That would allow a player of similar talent to Rogers but not anywhere close to the character issues, and then take a RB like Franklin or Randle with 3A. Not a bad choice, and it was considered, but I believe Bengals will take a RB before a WR this draft.
If I were to switch them, I would like Terrance Williams (WR Baylor) with 2B and Joseph Randle (RB Ok St) with 3A. That may actually be a better scenario than what I have...changing it.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-05-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: changing RB and WR picks.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Pretty much. As long as the guy understands how to play football and use leverage and his size to his advantage, it isn't a huge deal.
Exactly. He does both of those things extremely well and stacks/shed blocks equally well. I love him at all 3 spots as long as he can add the weight. I don't think he'll be a MLB in our scheme but our DT's eating blockers will allow him to missle to ball if he plays there.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonist7 View Post
Agreed 100% gio is my least favorite back in this draft thats talked about. Il take all of these guys later than gio in the second.
Christine michael
Montee ball
Michael Dyer
Jawan Jamison
ZACH STACY
Andre ellington
Joe randle

and now im just getting lazy soo yea no thanks on gio. and yea darick is a punk but i can still see us grabbing him...we litterally just activated joiner today, not sure his rap sheets clean ya know ha