Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3066
bengals Mock 3.0

Alright one more mock until around or after the combine for me. Players are already sliding all over the place so I wonder how it looks after they get timed and measured.

Round 1, Pick 21
Alec Ogletree ILB 6'3" 236 lbs. Georgia Bulldogs

I love me some Ogletree. He's a converted safety so he has a lot of covering instincts. He's pretty quick to boot as I watched him in coverage as well as spy on the fast QB's they played. I don't think too much of him as an inside linebacker, but am much more keen to moving him to the outside where his speed and coverage abilities are more useful and his weakness in getting pass blocks is less a problem.

Round 2, Pick 37
Giovani Bernard RB 5'10" 205 lbs. North Carolina Tar Heels

I think that Bernard would be a great fit in our offense. My biggest concern is that he has been nicked up a few times this past year, which is annoying, but not completely worrisome. The guy has good speed and fantastic pass catching ability, which adds everything that our running game is missing.

Round 2, Pick 55
Justin Hunter WR 6'4" 200 lbs. Tennessee Volunteers

I'm not completely against giving Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu a shot for the WR2 spot, but if we have a chance to get a good prospect to line across from AJ then I say we do it. Another tall pretty fast WR in Green's mold. I think we could move Sanu to the WR3 slot position and then have Hawkins come in relief and 4 wide sets. Let Jones, Sanu, and Hunter compete to be our #2. I think that this could end up being a year where no receivers go in the first round leaving lots of value at the end of the 2nd.

Round 3, Pick 86
Tony Jefferson S 5'10" 212 lbs. Oklahoma Sooners

We have to stop not fixing the safety position. This is the year to address it. There are plenty of talented players in Free Agency as well a deep draft class for Safeties. I like Jefferson's ability to play against the run mixed with some good pass defense. Some work ethic questions, but the guy plays week in and week out.

Round 4, Pick 117
Gerald Hodges OLB 6'2" 234 lbs. Penn State Nittany Lions

I think we can get along with a high draft pick/free agent, Burfict, and Howard at linebacker, but Thomas Howard is 30 and coming off a big injury so I think with Ogletree in the lineup we grab a great value pick in Hodges that can sit behind Howard for a year or two and then hopefully take over the reigns.

Round 5, Pick 151
Marcus Lattimore RB 6'0" 218 lbs. South Carolina Gamecocks

Yes he had one average ACL injury and then this gruesome injury above, but I'm a firm believer in the fact that if anyone can come back from these types of injuries it would be Lattimore. The guys a physical beast. He isn't extraordinarily fast (who knows how much step he'll lose), but he's a load to bring down and he has exceptional receiving ability for his brand of player. He can also block and is a hard worker willing to do whatever is needed of him for the team. Big heart deserves to be drafted even if he has to wait half a year or a year to play. I think we should grab him at an appropriate spot and have him either play a small role if he can play or IR him for a year to eventually replace BJGE.

Round 6, Pick 182
Tyrann Mathieu CB/S 5'9" 175 lbs. LSU Tigers

The placement on Mathieu is all over the place, but Burfict went from a 1st round pick to undrafted so I've got to think Tyrann won't be taken as early as some people predict. I think he has the character problems plus having been out a season will hurt him, but what should keep him draftable is a good combine/workout effort. I don't consider him starting caliber, but I feel he would make a fantastic nickel CB, backup CB/S, and primary return man. Well worth a 6th round pick in my opinion. Don't know how his stock will end up, but right now I think he's third day until he shows off in drills.

Round 6, Pick 189
Khaled Holmes C 6'4" 305 lbs. USC Trojans

I think Khaled Holmes stock takes a nosedive this offseason. He kept getting nicked up all season, didn't perform very well at times when he was healthy, and made some mistakes. While all this sounds bad like we shouldn't draft him the guy has talent. If he does happen to fall then it's well worth the risk to see a player like him attempt to comeback and reach the level he had played to before. Like Boling, Holmes needs to bulk up some in an NFL weight room. I think he could compete right away with Cook and Robinson and would give us an option at C for the future.

Undrafted Free Agents

Jordan Rodgers QB 6'1" 205 lbs. Vanderbilt Commodores

I've been interested in Vanderbilt the past two years. I didn't get to see him @Georgia this year because I believe he was out for some reason. I can definitely see some of his brother in him with his ability to run around the field. Idk if he's ready to be a backup QB in the NFL, but I think we could bring him in as a #3 and compete and learn behind Andy and the #2 to become a future backup with an interesting skill set

Ray Ray Armstrong S 6'4" 220 lbs. Ex-Miami Hurricanes

Hasn't played in a year, but we could use all the young talented bodies at S that we can find especially if they're free.

Quinn Sharp P/K 6'1" 205 lbs. Oklahoma State Cowboys

No point in not bringing in some competition at K. I wouldn't mind having Brown/Nugent/Sharp competing for the starting job.

Resign pretty much everyone significant Smith, Johnson, Huber, Howard, Lawson, Geathers, Maualuga, Jones, Newman/Clements, Gradkowski, Hawkins, Sims, Skuta, Crocker in particular our biggest FA's.

Free Agents
LaRod Stephens-Howling RB 5'7" 185 lbs. Arizona Cardinals

Little guy out of Arizona. The guy has mostly been a #3 speedy, return, seldom used back. He has shined when given a few carries/chances. Wasn't overly great when he had to be the primary starter, but bring him in here and let him be a special teams standout that gets a few touches like Leonard gets in our backfield now.

Jerome Felton FB 6'0" 248 lbs. Minnesota Vikings

I'm always clammoring every year for us to sign the top FB FA in the nation. That would be one way to improve our running game. This year it is Felton who paved the way to Adrian Peterson's record breaking campaign. These guys have changed teams in recent years such as Vonta Leach going to the Ravens. I'd love to see us pull the trigger and bring a great blocking FB in as I don't see it costing a ton of money.

Anthony Fasano TE 6'4" 255 lbs. Miami Dolphins

I've always liked Fasano and thought he was very underrated. If we could get him in here as a #3 TE that can block in three TE sets that would be awesome. He also has plenty of pass catching ability. Perhaps his underratedness gives us an edge in getting him cheaply.

Captain Munnerlyn CB 5'9" 185 lbs. Carolina Panthers

Awesome name. I think he has talent enough to be a strong backup and spot starter when needed.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

bengals Re: Mock 3.0

QB: Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski, Jordan Rodgers
RB: Giovani Bernard, BenJarvis Green-Ellis, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Marcus Lattimore (PUP/IR)
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: AJ Green, Justin Hunter, Mohammed Sanu, Andrew Hawkins, Marvin Jones, Ryan Whalen
TE: Jermaine Gresham, Orson Charles, Anthony Fasano
LT: Andrew Whitworth, Anthony Collins
LG: Clint Boling, Travelle Wharton
C: Kyle Cook, Khaled Holmes
RG: Kevin Zeitler, Trevor Robinson
RT: Andre Smith, Dennis Roland
DE: Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Wallace Gilberry, Robert Geathers
DT: Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Devon Still, Brandon Thompson, Pat Sims
OLB: Thomas Howard, Alec Ogletree, Manny Lawson, Gerald Hodges, Brandon Joiner, Dontay Moch
ILB: Vontaze Burfict, Rey Maualuga, Dan Skuta
CB: Leon Hall, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jason Allen, Adam Jones, Captain Munnerlyn, Tyrann Mathieu
S: Reggie Nelson, Tony Jefferson, Taylor Mays, Chris Crocker, Ray Ray Armstrong
K: Josh Brown, Mike Nugent, Quinn Sharp
P: Kevin Huber
LS: Clark Harris

61 players I'm sure we'll have a lot more than that in camp, but these are my favorites out of the possibilities. So we'd have to cut 7-8 depending on Lattimore.

2 Kickers, 1 DT, 2 LB's, 1 OL, 1 QB, 2 S
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22833
Default Re: Mock 3.0

Not a bad draft. At least this JORDAN's big brother doesn't play QB for the Bengals.

Last edited by Shady; 02-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

I like it too man. I love ogletree(only outside tho, i think hes too weak for middle in the league, and he doesnt shed blocks well enough for me at middle) and LOVE the hodges pick IMO i think we should keep burfict outside with ogletree and have hodges come in immediatley at MIKE and start ballin with those two...the young passion coming from all three of those guys together would be awesome to watch. rookies can and both hodges and ogletree will succeed at a very high level in the middle and outside for us. i think hodges tho is gonna be special.
Olgetree
Hodges
Burfict
those three with the depth that we already know of would be outstanding together. Love the LBS.

Not that big of a fan of gio bernard just becuase he not that explosive and fast to me. But he has "sweet feet" soo smooth, uses his body so well bounce/spinning of tacklers and makes it look effortless. Reminds me of emmet smith to be honest. Im just a sucker for big and fast. But if you give me Gio bernard and Marcus lattimore i think itd be epic together back there and my whole mind set changes along with our running game. loved that pair up of running back picks. ive always said if we get lattimore we gotta get someone else capable of a 3 down load also. dont wanna be stuck BJGE again.

Just Hunter is a beast...I dont think we need to address wr in the draft and would rather do it in free agency...grab someone like hixon or harltine to add to our depth becuase i like jones and sanu alot but if we grab hunter that shift would be so sweet. So i wouldnt be mad at it. SOO I LIKE THE PICK.

Jefferson is a beast and hes could be the best in the draft. COULD.

I love the jordan rogers pick

I im worried about center although they like Robinson i think cook should go so i dig the Khaled Holmes pick have him and trevor battle it out and whoever wins starts.

good draft my guy...completely different then mine but i still liked it alot. not sure how that works ha question tho if eddie lacy is there with your gio pick who would you grab?

Last edited by RIPChrisHenry; 02-05-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Loving the whole first half. As crazily stupid as it sounds, I'm not so sure Lattimore will make it to our 5th, but great value if he does.

The Mathieu pick deserves a jeer though.

Overall, love it.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

I'm wondering where you think Ogletree is going to play.He most likely will be the wlb and move Burfict to mlb.I also think you're dreaming if Holmes goes in round 6 since he's the 3rd best center in the draft and projected to go in 3-4.I love the mock except would like Rambo instead of Jefferson but could live with him in the 3rd.I just like Rambo's ball skills with 16 career int's.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
I'm wondering where you think Ogletree is going to play.He most likely will be the wlb and move Burfict to mlb.I also think you're dreaming if Holmes goes in round 6 since he's the 3rd best center in the draft and projected to go in 3-4.I love the mock except would like Rambo instead of Jefferson but could live with him in the 3rd.I just like Rambo's ball skills with 16 career int's.
Mike Brewster from OSU was the highest rated C going into the 2011 CFB season and only dropped a few spots in the C rankings and ended up going undrafted.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

I would love it if it went down like this and you never know how it will, but I don't see lattimore or Holmes being there that late.

I also have a very strong feeling tht we will address the S issue in FA. So with the 3rd I'd like to stay secondary and get McFadden, he projected 3-4 but I think he won't make it out of the 3rd so that will be a good spot to get a good CB.

If we got McFadden in that spot and the rest of the draft fell in place and we got a guy like Jarious Byrd to play centerfield we'd be in serious business.

We could have lattimore come off the pup list later in the season an really give him all the time and more to get 100% and even get stronger than e was just so we have the confidence he won't get hurt and since there's not really a rush.

I don't see why we need to get the other rb in FA when we have peerman who is a beast on special teams and that's all we will really be worried about at that point as far as depth.

Ogletree will be a beast on the outside with burfict in the middle and Howard on the other side. We would then have some pretty good prospects to groom and battle to take over for Howard after this year or next. Hodges, maybin, joiner, Lammur. I believe one of those guys can take it to the next level with some time.
Lb solved.

WR- keep adding talented guys and someone will break through. Like the pick.

OL- whoever takes there game to the next level will make the OL well above average.

RB- shored up for a good 4-5 years.

S- dominate if we get Byrd

CB- hall is still a beast, hopefully Kirk can make and impact, keep Newman and pacman and add mcfaddin along with the competing youth, might be the weak spot of the team along with WR.

WR- green then a few guys that had flashes. Along with cb not the greatest but could get us by for a year until we get more experience.

I'd could definitely see a playoff win with this draft.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3136

I would be pretty elated.

That draft looks awesome.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
Honestly for Ogletree I feel he best suits weakside linebacker with his coverage skills being his strong suit. He's kind of like Thomas Davis the old Georgia LB/S.

Marcus Lattimore right now is a wild card. James Andrews said his recovery was a miracle and if he can play week 1 then I can see him going as high as round 3. As it is I expect him to at least get PUP'd, IR (8 week thing they do now), or full IR which would probably push him into the 4-6th rounds.

Tyrann is another one that's a wild card. Like I said Taze had issues although perhaps the biggest was not performing well at the combine, but he at least played college ball the year before so I wonder if he ends up being mediocre in the drills he'd be in that 5-UDFA range, whereas if he does really well I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up somewhere in the 3rd round.

Khaled Holmes is just a prediction after having a very poor senior season marred by bad luck, injuries, and bad play. A strong combine could help him, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his draft stock plummet although I must admit probably not as far as I have him listed on here. Once we get through the combine things will begin to clear up and then through pro days we should have a half way okay guess at where some guys will go. In the end you never know because there are surprise undraftee's every year. I don't think my reasons are completely unreasonable for him to fall down the draft board.

Also as far as my Free Agency goes I see it being fairly realistic. Besides Jerome Felton I didn't predict we pick up any big free agents and I don't think FB's command a lot of money anyways. This offseason fills up all the weak spots or holes on the team although as a whole we need more experience (Assuming that the new guys actually play well).

Last edited by Carolinabengalfanguy; 02-06-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Reports have said we are spending to the cap this year so I see us getting at least one big signing. Things are changing around here right before our eyes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Mike Brewster from OSU was the highest rated C going into the 2011 CFB season and only dropped a few spots in the C rankings and ended up going undrafted.
Khaled Holmes was said to have the best footwork by one football analyst and he's actually in a battle with Frederick for the 2nd best center.Brewster is 6'4" with 32" arms is why he went undrafted.Short arms on OL doesn't project well.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
Reports have said we are spending to the cap this year so I see us getting at least one big signing. Things are changing around here right before our eyes
In that case I'd like to see us lock up long term by extending some of the guys that will be free agents next year.

Andre Smith
Michael Johnson

Geno Atkins
Carlos Dunlap

AJ Green
Andy Dalton

We better front load the ones we get done this year so that we have the extra room the next two seasons for our other big players. In all honesty the guys that are probably going to be getting big big contracts are Atkins and Green I feel that we ought to do well by signing the other guys to contracts worth their value than grossly over paying them.

In anyway I can still see how we could fit in a big FA signing.

My guess would be one of the impending FA safeties not named Jarius Byrd, or potentially a veteran WR with my preferences being Dwayne Bowe over Hartline, Jennings, Welker who are either too old, too injury prone, or just haven't produced enough for us to take them over another guy.

I'd love to take Wallace except he probably still wants Fitzgerald money. If we could get him at true value he'd be a good young WR2.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
In that case I'd like to see us lock up long term by extending some of the guys that will be free agents next year.

Andre Smith
Michael Johnson

Geno Atkins
Carlos Dunlap

AJ Green
Andy Dalton

We better front load the ones we get done this year so that we have the extra room the next two seasons for our other big players. In all honesty the guys that are probably going to be getting big big contracts are Atkins and Green I feel that we ought to do well by signing the other guys to contracts worth their value than grossly over paying them.

In anyway I can still see how we could fit in a big FA signing.

My guess would be one of the impending FA safeties not named Jarius Byrd, or potentially a veteran WR with my preferences being Dwayne Bowe over Hartline, Jennings, Welker who are either too old, too injury prone, or just haven't produced enough for us to take them over another guy.

I'd love to take Wallace except he probably still wants Fitzgerald money. If we could get him at true value he'd be a good young WR2.
We can't do anything with Dalton or Green until after the 2013 season and then both guys will still have one more year left on their contracts.

The big time guys we can sign now are:

Gresham
MJ
Andre Smith
Geno Atkins
Dunlap

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones

Last edited by Luvnit2; 02-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
We can't do anything with Dalton or Green until after the 2013 season ad then both guys will still have one more year left on their contracts.

The big time guys we can sign now are:

Gresham
MJ
Andre Smith
Geno Atkins
Dunlap
I can really see us getting good deals on these guys outside of Atkins
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1035

Sigh me up, this my favorite so far
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1359

I like your draft but I'd prefer to see Lacy rather than Bernard and then take a speed guy late in the draft, maybe Robbie Rouse in rd 5-6 area.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

i just want to say look at the pic you have of lattimore, no thanks!!!, wish the dude wasn't injury prone
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487

The draft is great but the guy I actually like the most overall is Jerome Felton. I went to college with Jerome and the man is a tank. He is also probably one of the best ball carrying FBs you will ever see. Runs with power and has the strength to blow up Dlinemen. If he is available in FA we should absolutely try to bring him in. At Furman we used him as a pass catching threat out of the backfield.