Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Bengals eyeing OT DJ Fluker at #21?

Don't know how much I believe this, but it's an interesting thought.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741

From what I've seen of Fluker, I'd be a little upset with this pick. What do you guys think? I think he could be an all-pro guard, but he's going to get lit up on the pass rush against speed rushers if he plays tackle. Complete beast in the run game though. 38 3/8" arms, ridiculous.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440
Default Re: Bengals eyeing OT DJ Fluker at #21?

I would hate this pick for so many reasons. One we have bigger needs and it would be a big reach with our first round pick. Two we have Andre Smith at RT already and if that guy was gonna be a tackle, he would be a Right tackle. Now I know Smith is a FA, but why draft another 1st rounder to replace your current one? You going to draft another one in 4 years?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

Id also be upset with it. But everything we hear until the draft is often just a bunch of BS. 1 to make a story and 2 teams want to throw off other teams.

But joe goodberry just pointed out "The average playoff team spent $16.33M cap space on their offensive line in 2012. The Redskins ($28.35M) and Bengals ($23.3) were way above."
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 42887

Where did it say the Bengals were thinking of Fluker? All I saw was some author's interpretation.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Not a fan of this idea either. Hope it's just a crazy rumor and not a sign that Andre might not be here.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

As far as sheer offensive linemen awesomeness Fluker has been my favorite prospect for awhile now. They just don't make many men that big and athletic.

If we end up having to tag Andre or for some reason lose him I wouldn't be upset with the pick at all. He would be roughly 6mil cheaper than Andre if Andre gets over 7mil a year.

I still think Whit, Fluker, Boling, Zeitler, Andre would be an amazing OL.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18782

Probably in the case that Smith goes elsewhere.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Probably in the case that Smith goes elsewhere.
If Fluker replaces Smith, Andy is going to spend much of 2013 on his back. Serious downgrade.

The Whitworth - Fluker - Boling - Zeitler - Smith line would be NASTY.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3194

Can't see much wrong with getting him, but not at 21. Maybe the 2A pick.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20888

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Where did it say the Bengals were thinking of Fluker? All I saw was some author's interpretation.
I guess it's this.

Quote:
Many in the scouting community think Fluker does not make it past the 21st pick of round one, presently held by the Cincinnati Bengals. In fact some confided Fluker may be a better fit for the New York Giants at pick 19.
Something tells me they didn't exactly survey the "scouting community." What scouting community?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

With Whitworth being 31, and Smith being a FA primed to get a huge payday, it makes sense for the Bengals to be seriously scouting top OT prospects.

WTS, I really hope they don't take one in the 1st 3 rounds unless he's absolutely BPA. That would mean they failed to keep Smith.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29134

Lose Andre, good pick.

Keep Andre, I'd be unhappy.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4304

I like Fluker and I think he would be a fine replacement should we lose Smith. I'd still prefer his teammate, Barrett Jones, over Fluker though.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 42887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I guess it's this.

Something tells me they didn't exactly survey the "scouting community." What scouting community?

Actually, I'd like to see Fluker on the Bengals OL, just not at pick #21.

His body style has interior OL, written all over it. Even at 6'4"+ and 350, he maintains a low center of gravity, and thus his rep as a bull in the running game. Having those long arms also makes him very strong in pass pro, as well.

If the Bengals drafted Fluker, I could see him starting instantly at LG. He could play there, as well as back up both T spots.

Imagine the force an OL like this would have..

Whit Fluker Robinson Zeitler Smith

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
I would hate this pick for so many reasons. One we have bigger needs and it would be a big reach with our first round pick. Two we have Andre Smith at RT already and if that guy was gonna be a tackle, he would be a Right tackle. Now I know Smith is a FA, but why draft another 1st rounder to replace your current one? You going to draft another one in 4 years?
I keep hearing about "bigger" needs. This team underachieved last year and still had a 10-6 record. If we brought back everybody from last year we would still have a top 10 Defense, with a good OLine, a RB that we proved to win with. Yes we could improve but we don't have any "needs".

The reason we underachieved last year was because we lost to the Browns, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Steelers. Hey we even had the lead in the 4th quarter against Denver, but those 4 games were our games that we gave away.

Now I am not saying that we should grab Fluker at 21, but if Warmack was there, I wouldn't want to pass on him for some supposed need.

I don't think LBer, S, or RB, the "needs", should be ignored completely. However as of right now the only LBer in this draft I like in the 1st round is Minter. I know a lot like Olgetree but he is an inconsistent player, we will be happy one serious only to be scratching for the next 3. Where Minter is more consistent. Even then Minter would be a 2nd round LBer in most drafts.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3855

Quote:

His body style has interior OL, written all over it. Even at 6'4"+ and 350, he maintains a low center of gravity, and thus his rep as a bull in the running game. Having those long arms also makes him very strong in pass pro, as well.

If the Bengals drafted Fluker, I could see him starting instantly at LG. He could play there, as well as back up both T spots.

Imagine this OLine:

Whitworth, Warmack, Jones, Zeitler, Smith.

If Smith leaves and he is still there in 3 or 4, Fluker

Whitworth, Warmack, Jones, Zeitler, Fluker

Of course that is an Alabama Line and very unlikely.... but we are imagining right?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

I would never have an issue taking a top O-Lineman. Especially a tackle.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892
bengals Re: Bengals eyeing OT DJ Fluker at #21?

You're not going to be successful by spending draft picks on positions you had good players at. We have $50 million in cap space to spend. Be smart, I don't mind a little frugality if it keeps our cap situation good, but quit letting your good players go just to redraft another person for the same spot. Preferably you keep some of your top talent, you let go problem childs and guys that want ridiculous amounts of money (like Mike Wallace) and you sign the guys at appropriate deals. You fill in other spots that you just can't keep a player at with draft picks and good deal veteran players.

To me we can resign all of our FA's that we need and get good strong deals out of Smith and Johnson, go ahead and keep Atkins and Dunlap, and then sign maybe one strong outside FA, along with re-signing your quality FA's, and good deal veterans from other teams.

The whole draft a CB, he become what we wanted him to be now we won't pay him so we draft another CB thing isn't going to be successful. Albeit JoJoe probably wanted to be out of here like a lot of our other guys at the time (Palmer, Ochocinco, etc.)

I think we have been consistent enough these past two years with our young cast of players that we have finally regained an edge at getting a hometown discount because players know that we can succeed rather than being the laughing stock of the league.

Re-sign all of our best players that are FA's the next two years, get a good outside FA, and re-sign a bunch of our role players plus add some strong veterans for depth.

We can do this and build a stronger deeper team that could make it to the super bowl if they come together and our young players continue to develop and improve their skills with a greater cast around them (Namely Andy Dalton who is probably our most controversial young player).
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
Not fully sold on the player but this is not as drastic as you are making it sound. You have to think long term and the money it is going to take to keep Dalton, AJ, MJ, Atkins and Dunlap long term and extend their deals. With the way the pay scale is set up now this could be a bold but salary wise a smart move.

I do know whatever NFL team is lands Smith if allowed to walk will be getting a damn good RT.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5515

Quote:

Agreed with everything you said, except I'd be OK with him at #21. This pick would significantly improve the offense in a long term way.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
You're not going to be successful by spending draft picks on positions you had good players at.
Yeah, because it isn't like guys ever get injured in this game.

Hey, remember how dumb Mike Shanahan was last draft? He went and got two QBs high. He'll never reach the playoffs that way.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
Yeah, because it isn't like guys ever get injured in this game.

Hey, remember how dumb Mike Shanahan was last draft? He went and got two QBs high. He'll never reach the playoffs that way.
I don't mind having good back up players and if DJ Fluker was sitting there in the fourth round (as Cousins was, which also isn't high, but mid round) I'd probably take him.

Don't compare Robert Griffin III (1st round) and Kirk Cousins (4th round) to me talking about drafting a guy like Andre in the first to be a franchise tackle he does just that and you let him walk to draft another guy in the 1st round to replace him. If money was a big issue then I could understand it, but in our situation I don't see the need for it.

Now if you want Fluker at LG to replace Boling then I can see that as well, but to me it would still be a wasted draft pick because Boling has been playing well in that position.

You could also look at the possibility of putting Fluker at LG and Boling at C, which makes the best sense to me, but talking about drafting Fluker to be a backup lineman (according to you using RG3 and Cousins as an example) is asinine and idiotic.

Cousins compares more to Boling seeing as how they were both 4th round picks. At the time no one was sure if Boling would be a starter, but it was a good value pick. Best case he becomes a starting guard worse case (hopefully) he's a strong backup for the interior line. That is where you acquire your backup players not in the first round where you are trying to acquire a starter in a position where you don't have one.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 246

I remember people being upset about spending a 2nd rounder on a LT about 7 years ago, shortly after giving Big Willie and Levi Jones extensions...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12280

Losing Smith and getting Fluker would be a wash at best. It's time for us to stop replacing talent and add to it. We are saving all this money for something right? Fluker is Smith like but Smith is proven.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedorangeandblack View Post
I remember people being upset about spending a 2nd rounder on a LT about 7 years ago, shortly after giving Big Willie and Levi Jones extensions...
Yeah, but Whitworth played OG for a little while. I think he was pretty good there too. Now if you want Fluke to play guard that's fine, but I honestly think we are good to go at G with Boling and Zeitler.