Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32089
Default Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

I've seen Bettis mentioned as a possible HOF'er, yet I've never heard Dillon's name mentioned as a candidate for the HOF. Imo, Bettis is getting a lot of play because he spent most of his career playing for a storied franchise (Steelers), whereas Dillon mostly played for the Bengals during the lost decade. But when you actually compare numbers and use common sense, Dillon comes out on top:

Yards per carry:

Dillon: 4.3
Bettis: 3.9

Rushing yards per game:

Dillon: 74.9
Bettis: 71.2

Total yards per game (rushing/receiving)

Dillon: 87.7
Bettis: 78.7

Touchdowns per game (rushing/receiving)

Dillon: 0.59
Bettis: 0.49

Then you have to consider other things, like the fact that Dillon consistently saw 8-9 man fronts during his career with QB's like Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Gus Frerotte and Jon Kitna. Dillon also had more game breaking runs. Dillon had at least one 50 yard run in 7 years of his 10 year career. Bettis only had 2 runs over 50 yards in his entire 13 year career.

As for rings, they both have one. But Dillon got his as the centerpiece of his offense with 1635 yards. Bettis got his while being relegated to short yardage/goal line duty. All things considered, I don't see how anyone could believe Bettis was a better back. I know some Steelers homers will come in here and make excuses for all the numbers, but it is what it is.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 39239
Default Re: Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

Dillon's credit and notoriety will never reach it's peak because he played on horrific football teams most of his career. Just look at the NFL Fan map thread, and that is why. (As you said.)

He was the only thing that made the Bengals even remotely watchable.

I think he was WAY better than Bettis.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I've seen Bettis mentioned as a possible HOF'er, yet I've never heard Dillon's name mentioned as a candidate for the HOF. Imo, Bettis is getting a lot of play because he spent most of his career playing for a storied franchise (Steelers), whereas Dillon mostly played for the Bengals during the lost decade. But when you actually compare numbers and use common sense, Dillon comes out on top:

Yards per carry:

Rushing yards per game:

Then you have to consider other things, like the fact that Dillon consistently saw 8-9 man fronts during his career with QB's like Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Gus Frerotte and Jon Kitna. Dillon also had more game breaking runs. Dillon had at least one 50 yard run in 7 years of his 10 year career. Bettis only had 2 runs over 50 yards in his entire 13 year career.

As for rings, they both have one. But Dillon got his as the centerpiece of his offense with 1635 yards. Bettis got his while being relegated to short yardage/goal line duty. All things considered, I don't see how anyone could believe Bettis was a better back. I know some Steelers homers will come in here and make excuses for all the numbers, but it is what it is.
Now we found something we agree on.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
Now we found something we agree on.
Lol. We probably agree on many things. Just not Dalton. I'm cool w/ that.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

I agree, Dillon also has two of the top 20 single game rushing records, as well as holding the top spot for a while with his game against Denver.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16744
bengals Re: Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

Dillon at one point held the rookie record for most rushing yards/game and all time/game.

He is a definite HOFer in my book, but so is Bettis, as much as I dislike admitting it.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

Yards per carry:

Rushing yards per game:

Bettis also had one of the NFL's best ever blocking backs plowing the way for him in Tim Lester. Ever wonder why Tim went to Pitt with Jerome from LA? It was no coincidence. Tim Lester was a one man wrecking ball, I watched him play college ball at EKU, he was a beast, even after knee surgery. The only thing that ****** for Timmie was that he got the Cal Naughtin, Jr. shaft....they never gave him the ball, and he was quite a load to bring down himself. If Bettis goes in, he should request they hang Lester's shoulder pads and helmet in his display....they plowed the way for him to be great. Bettis was great, but he had some help, Dillon had NO ONE.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18257

I dunno why he isn't mentioned..maybe it's his me first attitude? or some kind of sick scheme to keep bengals out of the HoF?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyche'sWarrior View Post
Bettis also had one of the NFL's best ever blocking backs plowing the way for him in Tim Lester. Ever wonder why Tim went to Pitt with Jerome from LA? It was no coincidence. Tim Lester was a one man wrecking ball, I watched him play college ball at EKU, he was a beast, even after knee surgery. The only thing that ****** for Timmie was that he got the Cal Naughtin, Jr. shaft....they never gave him the ball, and he was quite a load to bring down himself. If Bettis goes in, he should request they hang Lester's shoulder pads and helmet in his display....they plowed the way for him to be great. Bettis was great, but he had some help, Dillon had NO ONE.
First Tim came to the Steelers a year befor Bettis. Second he only played with Bettis for his first 3 years with the Steelers. Third the man that plowed the way From 2000-2005 was Dan Kreider.

Dillon should be on the ballot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35467

Dillion should definately be on the Ballet he also has a SB ring. Hopefully hes listed as a bengal when he enters the HoF.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
First Tim came to the Steelers a year befor Bettis. Second he only played with Bettis for his first 3 years with the Steelers. Third the man that plowed the way From 2000-2005 was Dan Kreider.

Dillon should be on the ballot.
Kreider was a hoss and a work horse. One of my favorites.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzberg06 View Post
Kreider was a hoss and a work horse. One of my favorites.
No doubt and when he left in my opinion was the beginning of the lack of RB production.

You got to love a guy that openly admits that he does not want the ball...He wants to find and hit a guy in the hole.
It's teed up for someone to make the joke.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
No doubt and when he left in my opinion was the beginning of the lack of RB production.

You got to love a guy that openly admits that he does not want the ball...He wants to find and hit a guy in the hole.
It's teed up for someone to make the joke.
They replaced him with Carey Davis and to be honest he just didn't have "it" Dan without a doubt was the silent hero of the Superbowl (Bens TD run..) Willies 75 yard run..the guy just made the blocks..never asked for credit, never cried..Played for cheap and just lowered his head and hit. DAMN I miss that type of football.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
They replaced him with Carey Davis and to be honest he just didn't have "it" Dan without a doubt was the silent hero of the Superbowl (Bens TD run..) Willies 75 yard run..the guy just made the blocks..never asked for credit, never cried..Played for cheap and just lowered his head and hit. DAMN I miss that type of football.
He was replaced by Carey Davis and an offencive coordinator that refused to use a lead blocker.

4th and two..Single back set.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8908

That game where Dillon broke the Rookie Rushing Yards for a Game was fantastic. I don't remember how many yards or who it was against though. Then in the interview after the game, he gave all the credit to the O-Line for opening the holes.

Fantastic player and should be in the HoF in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1802

I think they both should be in the HoF.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
That game where Dillon broke the Rookie Rushing Yards for a Game was fantastic. I don't remember how many yards or who it was against though. Then in the interview after the game, he gave all the credit to the O-Line for opening the holes.

Fantastic player and should be in the HoF in my opinion.
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...9712040cin.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0010220cin.htm

Can you imagine the career Dillon would have had if he spent the prime of his career on better teams. This and the Denver game in 2000 were unbelievable, among others. Look at the passing stats in the Denver game, he had no help at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9475

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Dillon's credit and notoriety will never reach it's peak because he played on horrific football teams most of his career. Just look at the NFL Fan map thread, and that is why. (As you said.)

He was the only thing that made the Bengals even remotely watchable.

I think he was WAY better than Bettis.
Exactly.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Quote:
Me too man, me too.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51499

Corey Dillon made this team watchable during some pretty dark times. There's no denying he left on bitter terms, and I disliked him for a while for doing that. However, I believe he should make it into the HOF, but we know he won't.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-246
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Of all the RB's with over 11,000 yards, only these aren't in the HOF:

Ladainian Tomlinson- 13,684
Jerome Bettis- 13,662
Edgerrin James- 12,246
Fred Taylor- 11,695
Corey Dillon- 11,241

LT is a total lock with all his receiving yardage and TD's.
Bettis has been mentioned, so it looks good for him.
Edge should be a lock considering he had 12,000 yards from scrimmage in his first 7 seasons. Dominant.
Taylor is a little iffy because of all the injuries. He played 3 more years than Dillon, yet has about the same amount of yards.

Basically, I think all these guys are Hall worthy, other than Fred Taylor (due to injuries).

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23292

Dillon was a much better back the Bettis, but Jerome played on a much better team.

Might not be fair, but believe Bettis gets into the HOF and Dillon never gets his foot in the door. He spent too much time as a Bengals, in spite of his numerous record setting performances.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1793

Bettis has that ring.
All the difference in the world.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Guy View Post
Bettis has that ring.
All the difference in the world.
So does Dillion lol
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20631

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Dillon was a much better back the Bettis, but Jerome played on a much better team.

Might not be fair, but believe Bettis gets into the HOF and Dillon never gets his foot in the door. He spent too much time as a Bengals, in spite of his numerous record setting performances.

Pretty much agree. If Dillon could have been on at least a half-competent team as opposed to those horrific Bengal teams he was on, Dillon's chances for the HoF would probably be in the no-brainer category.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis