Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 51942
Default Hue Jackson named special assistant to Marvin Lewis as well as RB coach

Hue Jackson will take on new roles on the Bengals coaching staff in 2013, serving as special assistant to head coach Marvin Lewis and as running backs coach.

Jackson is in his second term as a Bengals assistant, having re-joined Cincinnati in 2012. He was Oakland Raiders head coach in 2011, with an 8-8 record that tied for best in the AFC West. He had two of the NFL’s best rushing attacks during two seasons at Oakland, including 2010 as offensive coordinator. Released by the Raiders after the break-even 2011 season, Jackson spent 2012 in Cincinnati assisting position coaches for special teams and defensive backs.

“This is all about us getting better as an offensive team,” Lewis said today. “It was a tremendous development for our staff that we were able to get Hue last year, and now I’m excited to expand his role.”

Jackson is entering his 13th NFL season. In addition to his coordinator and head coaching experience in Oakland, he has been offensive coordinator for two other teams. Before entering the NFL, he coached 13 years in the college ranks.

“People in football know what kind of offensive mind Hue brings to a staff,” Lewis said, “so he’s going to be great with our running backs. And I’m going to take better advantage of his expertise in all aspects of football and coaching, which is very wide. He will help me be more effective in a number of ways.”

With Jackson as offensive coordinator in 2010, Oakland had the NFL’s No. 2 rushing offense, averaging 155.9 yards per game. As Raiders head coach in 2011, Jackson had the No. 7 rushing offense at 131.9.

Jackson’s first term with the Bengals was under Lewis from 2004-06, as wide receivers coach. Jackson and Lewis first worked together in 2002, as fellow assistants with the Washington Redskins.

As Bengals wide receivers coach, Jackson was a key in the rise of Chad Johnson, the club’s all-time receiving leader. Playing under Jackson for seasons four-through-six of his 10-year Bengals tenure, Johnson averaged 93 catches, 1358 yards and 8.3 touchdowns. In 2006, before leaving the Bengals to become offensive coordinator in Atlanta, Jackson oversaw the first 1000-yard receiving duo in a Bengals season, as T.J. Houshmandzadeh (1081 yards) joined Johnson (1369).
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21538
Default Re: Hue Jackson named special assistant to Marvin Lewis as well as RB coach

Wonder how Gruden feels about this....
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49866
Default Re: Hue Jackson named special assistant to Marvin Lewis as well as RB coach

Ah, the protected position, Assistant to the Head Coach.

The Bengals organization must certainly think very highly of Hue Jackson to give him that title. Seems to me that the only interview offers that the team would have to grant permission for are HC positions.

Glad to see it, hope they allow him some serious input into the offensive strategy discussions.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 56786

This has the potential of being huge for our offense, and hopefully it is a long-termed arrangement. Let's hope the egos of the other coaches don't get in the way of taking advantage of Hue's experience.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4039

I have no issues with this.

Hue Jackson is a good coach.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2910

My guess is that Hue was promised this type of role to keep him from potentially leaving for OC jobs. No matter, Hue is a good coach and any input he can provide the offense should be welcome.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9982

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Imo Gruden would be wise to stay humble and to try and learn from Hue.
Hue has HC experience as well as longer tenure in the NFL. Gruden could certainly learn some things from Hue imo.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
the way Gruden called games down the stretch for us, I don't think he should have a right to feel anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3321

Love it!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36800

Thats an awesome move...

A good way to pay a loyal coach.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals_Moderator View Post

As Bengals wide receivers coach, Jackson was a key in the rise of Chad Johnson, the club’s all-time receiving leader. Playing under Jackson for seasons four-through-six of his 10-year Bengals tenure, Johnson averaged 93 catches, 1358 yards and 8.3 touchdowns.
I like Hue, so this is not a shot at him. Just want to point out that Chad was a Pro bowl WR before Hue ever got here.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Hue has HC experience as well as longer tenure in the NFL. Gruden could certainly learn some things from Hue imo.
I look for Gruden to jump ship soon. His stock is only going to stay high for so long before people realize he isn't an offensive genius.

This is kind of like how Bresnahan was brought in as essentially a consultant then Frazier got fired and Bresnahan took over.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
I look for Gruden to jump ship soon. His stock is only going to stay high for so long before people realize he isn't an offensive genius.

This is kind of like how Bresnahan was brought in as essentially a consultant then Frazier got fired and Bresnahan took over.
Except Hue wouldn't be terrible at the coordinator job like Chuckie B was.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Funny.

Paul Alexander is already the Assistant Head Coach, so they had to make Hue the Assistant TO THE Head Coach, since each team can only have one Assistant HC.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Funny.

Paul Alexander is already the Assistant Head Coach, so they had to make Hue the Assistant TO THE Head Coach, since each team can only have one Assistant HC.
Hes a Special Assistant....
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49866

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Hes a Special Assistant....

Just what exactly do they mean by "special"?

Last edited by Bengals_Moderator; 02-06-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Gruden has HC experience as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Just what exactly do they mean by "special"?
like mentioned above, i think that they gave him this when he decided he wasn't going to offer any OC positions. it's an I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine type of deal.

Last edited by Bengals_Moderator; 02-06-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

The Bengals organization must certainly think very highly of Hue Jackson to give him that title.
He helped the Bengals unload a high priced disgruntled QB and also acquire 2 premium picks, Mike Brown probably has written Hue into the will at this point.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9982

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
Gruden has HC experience as well.
I have lived in Florida for the past 20 years so I am well aware of Grudens Arena football league experience.His rise from Arena Bowl winning QB to Arena Bowl winning HC is well known down here. He's a demi-god in the Orlando area.
With that being said a HC in the Arena league is a completely different matter than being a coach (in any capacity) in the NFL.
It's almost apples and oranges.
I'm not bashing Jay I am just saying that it usually pays to listen to the "old bull" especially when the "old bull" is well respected by his peers throughout the NFL.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 02-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34558

Some thoughts:

1. I wonder if Jim Anderson was given a retire or be fired ultimatum? It seems like Marvin/Mike Brown had big plans for Hue. Also, it seems odd that JA stepped down at the exact same time of year that Brat was fired 2 years ago.

2. With this promotion, I'm starting to think Hue will be our next HC. Or at least our next OC.

3. Maybe "special assistant" means Hue will advise Marv on time outs and challenges? We can only hope, right?

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3086

This sure sounds like a head-coach-in-waiting position and is Rooney-rule friendly. Makes you wonder if Marvin has GM ambitions here (post Mike Brown) or elsewhere.

Also seems like Hue will be Gruden's superior, which, depending on their relationship could be good or horrendous. Ever get hired for a position and then have them change your boss unexpectedly?

I'm not ready to join the Hue lovefest. My opinion of him dropped drastically when he bet the farm on Carson Palmer. How's that for judgment? (It worked out GREAT...for the Bengals.)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1039

I think this is great news and I am sure Gruden is on board.

You guys are getting a little carried away with the Gruden bashing. He will continue to grow and expand the playbook.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Some thoughts:

1. I wonder if Jim Anderson was given a retire or be fired ultimatum? It seems like Marvin/Mike Brown had big plans for Hue. Also, it seems odd that JA stepped down at the exact same time of year that Brat was fired 2 years ago.
Interesting indeed. Although it may not have been a sinister move like that. Could've been one of those situations where they sat down with him and asked him what his plans were, how long he planned on coaching, etc. -- after all, he'd been at it 29 years. He may have been close to retirement anyway, and maybe they gave him a little severance/early retirement bonus for going ahead and stepping down now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
3. Maybe "special assistant" means Hue will advise Marv on time outs and challenges? We can only hope, right?
My thoughts exactly. From the article: "He will help me be more effective in a number of ways." Perhaps Marvin's thoughts as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1015

Its been a few days since Ive been on the board, but this brought a huge smile to my face as well as naming adam zimmer secondary coach. Man, its really got a good feeling in cincy these days. Its obvious how highly regarded Marvin Lewis is. He is steering the ship and he continues to improve the team every way he can. cant wait for the draft...should be another good one!