Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214
bengals Walter Football mocks T'eo to Bengals @ 21

Was the NCAA Championship game just a hiccup for T'eo or was it poor game planning on the Notre Dame coaching staff?

What are your thoughts...would you pick him at 21 and do you see the Bengals selecting him there?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3855
Default Re: Walter Football mocks T'eo to Bengals @ 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasf316 View Post
Was the NCAA Championship game just a hiccup for T'eo or was it poor game planning on the Notre Dame coaching staff?

What are your thoughts...would you pick him at 21 and do you see the Bengals selecting him there?
Te'o is a player that is hard to figure out. I am not interested in him but I do see the value of selecting him. He is a good cover LBer, not as good as Kuechly but way better than Maualuga. So he would upgrade our LBer core. The BCS game was an aberration or it could have been poorly game planned. Not to mention that ND doesn't have as many stars on it that Alabama has, so Te'o was having to do more in that game which caused him to make more mistakes. So 1 game doesn't make me change my mind that he is a good player.

I am not a fan of taking LBer early, yes we should upgrade it, however Burfict could be Rey's replacement in the middle and we could actually improve our LBer core more by drafting Jamie Collins, Gerald Hodges or Khaseem Greene in the later rounds 3-4. If we do take a LBer early then Minter and Te'o are the 2 that I would want over Alec Olgetree.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214
bengals Re: Walter Football mocks T'eo to Bengals @ 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Te'o is a player that is hard to figure out. I am not interested in him but I do see the value of selecting him. He is a good cover LBer, not as good as Kuechly but way better than Maualuga. So he would upgrade our LBer core. The BCS game was an aberration or it could have been poorly game planned. Not to mention that ND doesn't have as many stars on it that Alabama has, so Te'o was having to do more in that game which caused him to make more mistakes. So 1 game doesn't make me change my mind that he is a good player.

I am not a fan of taking LBer early, yes we should upgrade it, however Burfict could be Rey's replacement in the middle and we could actually improve our LBer core more by drafting Jamie Collins, Gerald Hodges or Khaseem Greene in the later rounds 3-4. If we do take a LBer early then Minter and Te'o are the 2 that I would want over Alec Olgetree.
What sells you on Minter? What about A.Brown? do you think he slides into the 2nd?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3368

Already posted.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892

I believe that there had been interviews delving into the whole fake girlfriend thing in early December (I thought I had read 12/6), so if that's the case Manti Te'o himself might have been freaking out about being caught and had that heart pounding worry over the days leading to the National Championship game. If I had to guess I would say that his heart wasn't in it at the time and he just couldn't focus on the game.

So while I worry about his attention to fame I'm willing to bet he's a good player that just didn't prepare well because of the ****storm that he knew was about to come his way.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49640

Claiming that T'eo will be a bust because of his performance in just the National Championship Game is just as stupid as claiming that Jarvis Moss would be a star because of his performance in just the National Championship Game.

T'eo is a very good LB with great instincts. #21 may be a little high for him unless he really shines at the combine, but I wouldn't be too upset if we took him.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
What sells you on Minter? What about A.Brown? do you think he slides into the 2nd?
Consistency. Like I have said, I am not a fan of any LBer early. However if I had to choose one then Te'o and Minter are ones I like. Ogletree is inconsistent, he will do great one play but then make you scratch your head 3 or 4 plays in a row before another great play. Minter has been consistent, he doesn't have the WOW factor but not many "what are you doing?" plays either.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12284

Walter just taking a shot at us. What he meniton why? We ignore character issues or something?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Quote:
Brown wouldn't be "sliding" to the 2nd round, he's not really a first round prospect. I would love to see him with one of the 2nd round picks and put out at WLB.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9545

Too many question marks surrounding T'eo at this point.

Just think the Bengals are through with head cases.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
Walter just taking a shot at us. What he meniton why? We ignore character issues or something?
No, more that we embrace them and we get the best out of them.

He's a stereo typical Bengal critic. At least he thinks the Lions are worse.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post

Just think the Bengals are through with head cases.
After the way Burfict turned out? Are you kidding?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10084

Didn't like T'eo before the BCS game, still don't after.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Consistency. Like I have said, I am not a fan of any LBer early. However if I had to choose one then Te'o and Minter are ones I like. Ogletree is inconsistent, he will do great one play but then make you scratch your head 3 or 4 plays in a row before another great play. Minter has been consistent, he doesn't have the WOW factor but not many "what are you doing?" plays either.
I would take Ogletree over Minter or Teo and not even think twice.
Minter and Teo both play downhill. Struggle dropping back. Cant stick with players in tight coverage. That is the opposite of what we need. We need guys who can excel in coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Brown wouldn't be "sliding" to the 2nd round, he's not really a first round prospect. I would love to see him with one of the 2nd round picks and put out at WLB.
Why?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:

Wally's Rules. #1--if there is an idiot, an underachiever, a guy whose stock is falling or a thug, mock him to the Bengals in the first. Wally is a weasel and his website is garbage. His mock database, however, is very handy.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Wally's Rules. #1--if there is an idiot, an underachiever, a guy whose stock is falling or a thug, mock him to the Bengals on the first. Wally is a weasel and his website is garbage. His mock database, however, is very handy.
Pretty much.
He just hates on some teams.
Many other websites do a better job of being much more objective.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Minter and Teo both play downhill. Struggle dropping back. Cant stick with players in tight coverage. That is the opposite of what we need. We need guys who can excel in coverage.

Why?
Berserker do you see Ogletree as more of a ILB or OLB? I'd prefer to see him pushed outside with Burfict coming into the middle.

Now if we got Te'o then I'd keep Burfict on the outside.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
Berserker do you see Ogletree as more of a ILB or OLB? I'd prefer to see him pushed outside with Burfict coming into the middle.

Now if we got Te'o then I'd keep Burfict on the outside.
To the first point, OLB. He isn't aggressive vs the run. Runs around blockers instead of taking them on. Freelances because he is so raw as a LB. Takes the hit far too often rather than delivering. On the outside the freelancing won't be as bad and he can use his athleticism and coverage skills much more.

If we took Teo our pass defense would be equally as bad with Burfict and Teo out there as it was with Rey and Burfict. Neither pair should be on the field during passing situations. Would be brutal.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3584

I really don't like any of the 1st round Linebacker prospects. T'eo and Minter both look like a strong side 3-4 ILB to me and Alec Ogletree's talent level really isnt that much higher than Linebacker prospects in the second and third rounds (Greene, Brown, Jenkins, Collins). What pushes Ogletree up is the defense he played in at Georgia.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
I really don't like any of the 1st round Linebacker prospects. T'eo and Minter both look like a strong side 3-4 ILB to me and Alec Ogletree's talent level really isnt that much higher than Linebacker prospects in the second and third rounds (Greene, Brown, Jenkins, Collins). What pushes Ogletree up is the defense he played in at Georgia. Hes even been moved into the OLB category on a few of different draft sites.
What pushes Ogletree up is his size/speed combo. Factor in he has only played LB for a few seasons and his talent, size, speed and coverage skills say he is easily a top 20 pick. His actual game tape, LB skills and strength suggest 2nd round.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3584

Quote:
What pushes Ogletree up is his size/speed combo. Factor in he has only played LB for a few seasons and his talent, size, speed and coverage skills say he is easily a top 20 pick. His actual game tape, LB skills and strength suggest 2nd round.
Agreed, he has all the "physical traits" to be a top 20 pick, but as you said watching him actually play linebacker behind of one of the top defensive lines in college football left alot to be desired.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
That's why Ogletree is my favorite linebacker besides maybe Jarvis Jones. I love that athleticism and ability to cover. On the outside I think he could be great. If he's there at 21 with our history of drafting Georgia players there is a good chance we take him. Unless of course I really really want him bad in which case will take someone else XD
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2727

Agree on taking Ogletree over Te'o, but would even more rather taking someone like Arthur Brown to be our WILL, move Burfict to MIKE, and draft someone like Jamie Collins as our SAM. Brown's ability to shed blocks, even at such a low weight, is impressive, and Collins has played all over the defense and has a good all around skill set. Either way, we need more coverage skills in our starting LBs.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Why?
We do need guys who excel in coverage, however Ogletree freelances. Sometimes he is on point other times he is looking clueless. Not a fan of that type of inconsistency. Now I have said I don't want an LBer but if forced to pick one then I would go with the more consistent player. If the Bengals take Ogletree like I think they will then I wouldn't freak out, but I would have a much lower expectation from him than most. Wouldn't be surprised with his struggles.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405

Quote:

What a waste of a selection that would be.