Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35467
Default Astroid to pass between earth and satelites.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...iss-earth.html

time to start developing some anti space rock devices before we get smashed.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20641
Default Re: Astroid to pass between earth and satelites.

They say it will zoom past earth every year. How is that really possible? Wouldnt it just keep traveling further into space?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
They say it will zoom past earth every year. How is that really possible? Wouldnt it just keep traveling further into space?
I think they botched that part, damn brits. May be implying that asteroids in general pass by earth every year? Read somewhere else the thing is 150 ft wide.

obligatory armageddon reference.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
I think they botched that part, damn brits. May be implying that asteroids in general pass by earth every year? Read somewhere else the thing is 150 ft wide.

There are a few that get stuck in a orbit that brings it close to the planet every time. although every year is a little more frequent than i would assume that like its in the same orbit around the sun.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260

Yeah, that part was confusing because it would get stuck in ordbit, but then why wasn't it stuck in any other planet's orbit?

This would be scary as hell, but as long as Bruce Willis is alive, we're golden
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8796

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post

150 feet wide? That's nothing. Something that small will burn up in the atmosphere, unless it hits the hole in the ozone. But then, it will be one huge rock in the ocean. Are you sure you didn't read 150 miles wide? that may be more of a concern. Maybe 1500 miles wide, like, a kilometer?

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
150 feet wide? That's nothing. Something that small will burn up in the atmosphere, unless it hits the hole in the ozone. But then, it will be one huge rock in the ocean. Are you sure you didn't read 150 miles wide? that may be more of a concern. Maybe 1500 miles wide, like, a kilometer?
The article said if it hit earth it would flatten london
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13623

Quote:
1500 miles is just a tad larger than a kilometer. Hehe.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
1500 miles is just a tad larger than a kilometer. Hehe.

And who said size doesn't matter?

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
The article said if it hit earth it would flatten london

The article has to have a typo, then. 150 feet wide is what, three semi trailers? That would put a dent in Big Ben or seriously damage Windsor castle, but flatten London? 150 feet wide before it hits the atmosphere should reduce at least 1/4th. Maybe it will hit Yemen.

I am not a science person. I'm a stats geek. But I seem to remember our atmosphere has burned up quite a few space rocks since NASA has been monitoring things.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The article has to have a typo, then. 150 feet wide is what, three semi trailers? That would put a dent in Big Ben or seriously damage Windsor castle, but flatten London? 150 feet wide before it hits the atmosphere should reduce at least 1/4th. Maybe it will hit Yemen.

I am not a science person. I'm a stats geek. But I seem to remember our atmosphere has burned up quite a few space rocks since NASA has been monitoring things.
Yeah but it doesnt have the same stopping power and who knows how thick or long it is... Let me go hunting for the size.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yup, been reading for like 6 years now. 150 FT. 1500 Miles would be a small planet and not cool.

2012 DA14 is about 150 feet (or 45 meters) across, roughly half a city block or the diameter of the Hindenburg zeppelin. According to astronomet Alex Parker, it weighs 1/45 as much as the annual potato output of Idaho in a year. If something this size were to hit Earth, it’d create an explosion as destructive as the Tunguska Event of 1908. You better not be underneath should that ever happen.

Also looks like Clay Center is going to live stream it.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Asteroid 2012 DA14 is a little guy, compared to some asteroids, although its size has not been pinned down precisely. It is thought to be about 45 meters across (nearly 150 feet across), with an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.
http://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-2...-earth-in-2013

Quote:
If a space object 150 feet wide were to strike our planet, it wouldn’t be Earth-destroying. But it has been estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 2.4 megatons of TNT. How does that compare with other known impact events on Earth? In 1908, in a remote part of Russia, an explosion killed reindeer and flattened trees. But no crater was ever found. Scientists now believe a small comet struck Earth. That event has been estimated at 3 to 20 megatons. So 2012 DA14 is in the same approximate realm as the Tunguska comet (which, actually, might have been an asteroid instead). It would not destroy Earth, but it could flatten a city.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
[size=3]The article has to have a typo, then. 150 feet wide is what, three semi trailers? That would put a dent in Big Ben or seriously damage Windsor castle, but flatten London? 150 feet wide before it hits the atmosphere should reduce at least 1/4th.
Inertia
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

OK...45 metric tons-my internet at work is IE6, so I don't click links anywhere...sorry. I had no idea it was that big (yes, I know, that's what Eve said). That means we either have to step up our manufacturing of the plasma cannon or create a missile that will turn that thing into pea gravel.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29170

Quote:
wut?

Seriously...wut?

An object 150 feet wide would have no issues getting through our atmosphere, unless it is not very dense. It would do extensive damage anywhere it hit and would cause a nice sized tsunami if it hit the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Yeah, that part was confusing because it would get stuck in ordbit, but then why wasn't it stuck in any other planet's orbit?

This would be scary as hell, but as long as Bruce Willis is alive, we're golden
Q: Could asteroid DA14 impact Earth?
A: No. The orbit of asteroid 2012 DA14 is well understood – it will not come any closer than 17,150 miles (27,650 kilometers) above Earth's surface during its flyby on Feb 15, 2013.

The asteroid’s orbit around the sun is roughly similar to that of Earth, and it makes relatively close approaches to our planet’s orbit twice per orbit. But, the 2013 flyby is by far the closest the asteroid will approach our planet for many decades. The next notable close approach to Earth will be on February 16, 2046, when the asteroid will pass no closer than 620,000 miles (1,000,000,000 kilometers) from the center-point of Earth.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
OK...45 metric tons-my internet at work is IE6, so I don't click links anywhere...sorry. I had no idea it was that big (yes, I know, that's what Eve said). That means we either have to step up our manufacturing of the plasma cannon or create a missile that will turn that thing into pea gravel.
Nah Oil drilling team will get the job done.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
wut?

Seriously...wut?

An object 150 feet wide would have no issues getting through our atmosphere, unless it is not very dense. It would do extensive damage anywhere it hit and would cause a nice sized tsunami if it hit the ocean.
Im with Jabber on this one...I just dont see that as being very big. I guess the impact matters more than the actual size of the thing?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Im with Jabber on this one...I just dont see that as being very big. I guess the impact matters more than the actual size of the thing?
Asteroid 2012 DA14 is a little guy, compared to some asteroids, although its size has not been pinned down precisely. It is thought to be about 45 meters across (nearly 150 feet across), with an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.

Quote:
If a space object 150 feet wide were to strike our planet, it wouldn’t be Earth-destroying. But it has been estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 2.4 megatons of TNT. How does that compare with other known impact events on Earth? In 1908, in a remote part of Russia, an explosion killed reindeer and flattened trees. But no crater was ever found. Scientists now believe a small comet struck Earth. That event has been estimated at 3 to 20 megatons. So 2012 DA14 is in the same approximate realm as the Tunguska comet (which, actually, might have been an asteroid instead). It would not destroy Earth, but it could flatten a city.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Quote:
Well then...

I guess anything traveling that fast is due to do some major damage.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Well then...

I guess anything traveling that fast is due to do some major damage.
Could always be worse.. We arent looking at a gobal killer but we would notice the impact.

Jupiter supposedly takes care of a lot of rouge comets / Astriods usually slingshotting them out into space. But what happens when it sling shots one back at us.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You can be with him all you want...Physics disagrees...

The object that caused the Tunguska event is approximated as being about 200 to 300 ft across. Was most likely made up of ice and rock and exploded a mile or so above the ground and would have wiped out NY easily.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53206

Quote:
The next notable close approach to Earth will be on February 16, 2046, when the asteroid will pass no closer than 620,000 miles (1,000,000,000 kilometers) from the center-point of Earth.

How can they say this when they didn't even see this astroid until about a year ago.

they don't know near as much as they claim.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Q: Could asteroid DA14 impact Earth?
A: No. The orbit of asteroid 2012 DA14 is well understood – it will not come any closer than 17,150 miles (27,650 kilometers) above Earth's surface during its flyby on Feb 15, 2013.

The asteroid’s orbit around the sun is roughly similar to that of Earth, and it makes relatively close approaches to our planet’s orbit twice per orbit. But, the 2013 flyby is by far the closest the asteroid will approach our planet for many decades. The next notable close approach to Earth will be on February 16, 2046, when the asteroid will pass no closer than 620,000 miles (1,000,000,000 kilometers) from the center-point of Earth.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You can be with him all you want...Physics disagrees...

The object that caused the Tunguska event is approximated as being about 200 to 300 ft across. Was most likely made up of ice and rock and exploded a mile or so above the ground and would have wiped out NY easily.
OK...I'd like to think I'm a pretty intelligent guy...I process pretty logically and I'm a computer nerd...then this physics crap takes what I think I know and throws it in the crapper.

I apologize for my erroneous comments.

ALL IN FOR ANDY