Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 44924
Default 4.5 Billion "Alien Earth" just around Red Dwarf stars in the Milky Way

Just estimates, but the discoveries coming from Kepler are getting more and more amazing

http://www.space.com/19659-alien-ear...ed-dwarfs.html

Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35053
Default Re: 4.5 Billion "Alien Earth" just around Red Dwarf stars in the Milky Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Just estimates, but the discoveries coming from Kepler are getting more and more amazing

Sign me up ill take a ship and crew there to check it out.....

How fast can we currently travel a light year?

Well either way Im game even if it takes the rest of my life and the next generation to get there.

Or we can do a ship like in the movie Pandorum.

Edit: anyone Think its still impossible for other life to be out there?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 28892
Default Re: 4.5 Billion "Alien Earth" just around Red Dwarf stars in the Milky Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post

Well either way Im game even if it takes the rest of my life and the next generation to get there.

Voyager 1 is has been opperating for 35 years and it just now left the solar system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Voyager 1 is has been opperating for 35 years and it just now left the solar system.
Okay so thats running on 35 year old Technology. How fast can we get there now.

(and if i manage to die in space ill be happy even if i just make it past saturn lol
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post

That's very exciting. The human race is in for a very exciting time in the next couple of centuries!

Thanks for sharing, Danno.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

(and if i manage to die in space ill be happy even if i just make it past saturn lol
Not much faster at the moment. We could build large solar wind sails which over time might get us to 1/10th the speed of light.

Same with using nuclear concussion propulsion. About 1/10th.

Now I'm not sure how much time dilation there would be at 1/10th the speed of light so there could be a discrepancy on how long it would take when comparing those in the ship to those back on earth.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Not much faster at the moment. We could build large solar wind sails which over time might get us to 1/10th the speed of light.

Same with using nuclear concussion propulsion. About 1/10th.

Now I'm not sure how much time dilation there would be at 1/10th the speed of light so there could be a discrepancy on how long it would take when comparing those in the ship to those back on earth.
From my understand the closer to the speed of light one travels slows down the passing of time for them. (but not for the people still back on Earth)

I guess first step is to build ships designed just to travel space and not to launch from earth first so we can develope a better and possibly renewing fuel source to use.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
From my understand the closer to the speed of light one travels slows down the passing of time for them. (but not for the people still back on Earth)

I guess first step is to build ships designed just to travel space and not to launch from earth first so we can develope a better and possibly renewing fuel source to use.
The reality is we need to be able to manipulate areas of physics that we are just not advanced enough at the moment to do. Primarily, mass and gravity.

Scientists understand that it is useless to send out a ship to a nearby star that will take it 200-300 years to reach, when in that time we may develop technology that will allow us to reach that destination in days/months or even just a few years. How would you feel being the 5th generation ship bound person that makes it to the destination 50 years after humans had already made it.

Not to mention the serious issue with space travel and the human body. Low gravity issues with bones muscles heart…Radiation…the list is enormous, and is primarily why we haven’t sent humans to even Mars as of yet.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The reality is we need to be able to manipulate areas of physics that we are just not advanced enough at the moment to do. Primarily, mass and gravity.

Scientists understand that it is useless to send out a ship to a nearby star that will take it 200-300 years to reach, when in that time we may develop technology that will allow us to reach that destination in days/months or even just a few years. How would you feel being the 5th generation ship bound person that makes it to the destination 50 years after humans had already made it.

Not to mention the serious issue with space travel and the human body. Low gravity issues with bones muscles heart…Radiation…the list is enormous, and is primarily why we haven’t sent humans to even Mars as of yet.
I know.. Once these private sector companies decide to go fot it on the mining astroids our space travel abilities will improve Sadly its gonna take the motivation of Profits to get humans patrolling space.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8660

Quote:

Can't the new ship pick up the old ship as it is passing by?

Quote:
Not to mention the serious issue with space travel and the human body. Low gravity issues with bones muscles heart…Radiation…

A little radiation never hurt nobody.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
[/font][/color]

Can't the new ship pick up the old ship as it is passing by?
Yeah...that wouldn't suc either. It's also an incredible waste of resources.

Quote:
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8660

Quote:

Oh, come on, what's the challenge in that? Try to make it past Uranus.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2688

Quote:
Well, 200 seconds on the spaceship would mean 201 seconds on earth (if I used Lorentz correctly). - So every 200 years you would have saved one year. Doesn't seem like too much.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Quote:

The Mass Effect. It's from a video game, but the theory is actually relevant to real life. It uses dark matter to manipulate gravity, and thus mass, to move at the speed of light and other things involved with gravity. The game actually uses real science, it just so happens it doesn't exist yet lol
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
The Mass Effect. It's from a video game, but the theory is actually relevant to real life. It uses dark matter to manipulate gravity, and thus mass, to move at the speed of light and other things involved with gravity. The game actually uses real science, it just so happens it doesn't exist yet lol
the slip gates in that game could be out there.... who knows...
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8420

Quote:

I don't see how anyone wouldn't think that there is other life out there...
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2511

A company founded by former NASA astronaut Franklin Chang-Diaz has been developing a new rocket engine that draws upon electric power and magnetic fields to channel superheated plasma out the back. That stream of plasma generates steady, efficient thrust that uses low amounts of propellant and builds up speed over time.

It will be able to reach Mars in about 40 days, as opposed to 10 months. But even this does not help us leave the solar system soon.

I really hope we land on Mars in my lifetime. Then I hope we start mining helium-3. So much to do and see....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29596

Interestingly, if you have ever read Carl Sagan's Cosmos, there is a chapter in there on reaching out to the stars. In it he goes over the 4 mostl ikely space flight scenarios (keep in mind this is pre-1980), the theory behind each, how fast each would theoretically go and how plausible each would be to build and execute today (then 1980). The two most immediately viable were also the slowest, but impossible to even consider because they both relied upon some form of nuclear fuel, and the use of nucelar materials in space was banned at the time. The two fastest were very highly theoretical, and not really feasible without advances in technology.

The slowest one which was doable with 1980 technology could travel at 1/10th the speed of light, which while not fast enough to cause Time Dialation, would be significantly faster than any current technology, but as i said it isn't feasible due to nuclear bans in space.

More details are in his book but he discusses this in hisd Cosmos series - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4HGaTovMMc - start at 28:00 but the whole thing is awesome.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood Bengal View Post
I really hope we land on Mars in my lifetime. Then I hope we start mining helium-3. So much to do and see....
Your not the only one.

And as far as extended space travel in low G. They have had several designs in sci-fi movies (not star trek) to could generate artifical gravity on portions of the ship.

But we wont go extremely far into space until we vamp the tech up a notch and work out a way to either Build ships in space so they are not limited by the need to breach the atmosphere to get to space. And we can use the Atmosphere breaking shuttles they have to fairy things to and from the ground.

Or another option would be a Large Space Station with Ship builder and a Space elevator.