Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5552
Default Which player do you like...

Center/guard- 6' 4", 310 lbs, 3 time 1st team All SEC, Consensus all american, 3 time finalist and 1 time Rimington award winner

Center/guard- 6' 5", 311 lbs, 2 time 1st team All SEC, 2 time Consensus all american, Outland trophy winner, Rimington trophy winner

So...just by comparison what really stands out with these two players?

I am sure some may have guessed but I was just looking into one and thought about the other...

Player one- Jonathan Luigs, 3rd round selection Bengals 2009, played one year

Player two- Barret Jones, projected 2nd round this year

So the question is...would you take him if available with one of our 2nd rounders?

Is he better than Luigs was coming out?

he played Center one year at Alabama...Luigs played 3 years at Arkansas

I believe that Robinson should be our starter next year....just thinking about what some see as a need
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Default Re: Which player do you like...

I posted this in the draft section...not sure why it popped up here...please move
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
I posted this in the draft section...not sure why it popped up here...please move
Luigs had an injurey settlement if i remember correctly.. Ive seen mocks of us drafting a C round 4 this year. But if you want one drafted in the 2nd round then if Barret Jones is gone Grab this guy

Travis Frederick*, C/G, Wisconsin Rated higher than Zeitler (who was the highest rated OL guy since Joe Thomas)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013C.php
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720

I don't want to have to draft OLine this year, but if we have to we have to. Who'd best fit our scheme? Jones or Frederick out of Wisconsin?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9361

I'd sign LaPuente to an offer sheet....the Saints have no cap room.

Last edited by Rattler; 02-06-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I don't want to have to draft OLine this year, but if we have to we have to. Who'd best fit our scheme? Jones or Frederick out of Wisconsin?
I want to see Frederick, He's played with Zeitler. And he's a monster witha mean streak.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Luigs had an injurey settlement if i remember correctly.. Ive seen mocks of us drafting a C round 4 this year. But if you want one drafted in the 2nd round then if Barret Jones is gone Grab this guy

Travis Frederick*, C/G, Wisconsin Rated higher than Zeitler (who was the highest rated OL guy since Joe Thomas)

Not sure about the injury settlement..just know that he could not beat out Cook for the starting spot and it was Cook's first year with us also...the big thing for me is that the Bengals have this huge deal about letting starters keep starting regardless of who is better....I believe if we drafted either Frederick or Jones that Cook would still start...just MHO
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9361

Quote:
Not sure about the injury settlement..just know that he could not beat out Cook for the starting spot and it was Cook's first year with us also...the big thing for me is that the Bengals have this huge deal about letting starters keep starting regardless of who is better....I believe if we drafted either Frederick or Jones that Cook would still start...just MHO
With the piano boy as our line coach, anything's possible.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108

Quote:
True it just says he was released...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6650

Quote:
Center/guard- 6' 4", 310 lbs, 3 time 1st team All SEC, Consensus all american, 3 time finalist and 1 time Rimington award winner

Center/guard- 6' 5", 311 lbs, 2 time 1st team All SEC, 2 time Consensus all american, Outland trophy winner, Rimington trophy winner

I am sure some may have guessed but I was just looking into one and thought about the other...

So the question is...would you take him if available with one of our 2nd rounders?

I believe that Robinson should be our starter next year....just thinking about what some see as a need
College awards and stats are largely irrelevant when it comes to comparing 2 draft picks - especially O-lineman.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
College awards and stats are largely irrelevant when it comes to comparing 2 draft picks - especially O-lineman.
that was exactly what i stated...lol...stat wise not much difference....

just hear a lot about Jones........... is it because Jones played at Alabama? 2 time BCS NC?...is he really that good surrounded by all the other good players?

Luigs had McFadden and F Jones in the backfield his junior year and then his senior year he dropped off a bit after they left for the NFL...

I just see a player in Jones that is a bit over hyped because of his surroundings
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
One need not look any further than the "Remington" Award as proof.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 848

Barret Jones..... 2 National Champ rings. In which the Oline was a big strength in both and played all three positions C, G and OT in his time at Bama

Lugis 0 Rings Center only---- just a tough break with that Injury, but it is football

Robinson 0 Rings Center only--- really showed promise, good in Pass Pro, and the Bengal O seemed to have good rythm with him behind center. It was an obvious downgrad when Cook retained his spot on the line.

Now I like Robinson and think he should start esp. over Cook, but I wouldnt mind picking up the versitale Barret Jones who can play any position on the line and is a proven winner. Jones would add immediate talent and depth, and hell could find himself starting Week one at either G or C. Interrior Oline is still a need IMO. Until the Bengals can run the ball consistently up the middle while getting decent Pass Pro I will continue this tireless rant.

Last edited by bambino5130; 02-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Which player do you like...

Quote:

Travis Frederick at a playing weight of 320-328 over any of them any day of the week. Need to watch Jones a little closer when teams line a big DT up right over him.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 164

B Jones would struggle at 1st with bigger tackles in front of him, more than Fredrick b/c Jones needs to add strength. But IMO in the long run Jones would be the best investment and leader of cincy's Oline
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4351

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Travis Frederick at a playing weight of 320-328 over any of them any day of the week. Need to watch Jones a little closer when teams line a big DT up right over him.
This is not quite accurate. Jones struggles against smaller speedier DTs. Which he would get to practice against one of the best in the league.

[quote] After playing well against LSU, Jones had a lot of problems against Texas A&M. He was beaten repeatedly by an undersized, speedy defensive tackle. Jones made up for it in the SEC Championship against Georgia. After a few rough plays in the first half, Jones was phenomenal in the second half. He dominated nose tackle Kwame Geathers as Alabama's run game ran wild over the Bulldogs. Jones also had success against massive nose tackle John Jenkins.

Jones had a harder time with Mississippi State compared to other teams he has played against this season. Heavy defensive tackle Dewayne Cherrington was a challenge for Jones and guard Chance Warmack. Jones had a good game overall, but wasn't as overwhelming as he has been in other games.

Jones played well against Missouri. He opened up holes for Eddie Lacy to have a huge day and was excellent in pass protection. When going against talented defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, Jones had success. The senior also had a superb outing against Arkansas. He dominated the Razorbacks on the ground and in pass blocking. [quote]

Notice this says that the smaller speedier DTs and that the only massive DT was Cherrington and that he didn't play bad, even had a good game overall, but wasn't overwhelming.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

Quote:

I would take the kid out of Wisconsin Travis Frederick (OG/C) ahead of him IF we are taking an O-lineman early on.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3244

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post

Would love to see Frederick drafted to the Bengals. Big, intelligent, and strong. Perfect fit against the big NTs of the AFC North.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

[quote=Cincy's Best;2802651]This is not quite accurate. Jones struggles against smaller speedier DTs. Which he would get to practice against one of the best in the league.

[quote] After playing well against LSU, Jones had a lot of problems against Texas A&M. He was beaten repeatedly by an undersized, speedy defensive tackle. Jones made up for it in the SEC Championship against Georgia. After a few rough plays in the first half, Jones was phenomenal in the second half. He dominated nose tackle Kwame Geathers as Alabama's run game ran wild over the Bulldogs. Jones also had success against massive nose tackle John Jenkins.

Jones had a harder time with Mississippi State compared to other teams he has played against this season. Heavy defensive tackle Dewayne Cherrington was a challenge for Jones and guard Chance Warmack. Jones had a good game overall, but wasn't as overwhelming as he has been in other games.

Jones played well against Missouri. He opened up holes for Eddie Lacy to have a huge day and was excellent in pass protection. When going against talented defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, Jones had success. The senior also had a superb outing against Arkansas. He dominated the Razorbacks on the ground and in pass blocking.
Quote:

Notice this says that the smaller speedier DTs and that the only massive DT was Cherrington and that he didn't play bad, even had a good game overall, but wasn't overwhelming.
He did not dominate in the Georgia game as you have stated. Yes the running game worked well but you state this as if every run went directly over center. If I am not mistaken there were also downs he was taken out of the Georgia game.

There is also a direct part of my statement you paid no regard to. In the LSU game where were they positioning the DT on a consistent basis? Was the DT directly over him or in a gap? I stated he struggles with the DT directly over him. You could even take out the word big if you would like. For whatever reason he has an issue with a DT directly over him.

And yes I would absolutely still take Frederick.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I would take the kid out of Wisconsin Travis Frederick (OG/C) ahead of him IF we are taking an O-lineman early on.
Agreed see post#14.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmused View Post
B Jones would struggle at 1st with bigger tackles in front of him, more than Fredrick b/c Jones needs to add strength. But IMO in the long run Jones would be the best investment and leader of cincy's Oline
Why would Jones be the better investment?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmused View Post
Agree with you 100%. To answer the ding dong's question below, Jones is more versatile, already has experience playing multiple positions within the OL against SEC caliber defensive fronts. He's already gone up against a lot of the guys he'll face in the NFL. Not sure about Fredrick, but Jones is also a real smart dude from what I've read.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
Agree with you 100%. To answer the ding dong's question below, Jones is more versatile, already has experience playing multiple positions within the OL against SEC caliber defensive fronts. He's already gone up against a lot of the guys he'll face in the NFL. Not sure about Fredrick, but Jones is also a real smart dude from what I've read.
What a Lebeau you are. Yeah his first name would censor or that is what I would have used.

Frederick is versatile as well has played guard and center for the Badgers. Has as well played against NFL caliber fronts. Unless of course you are one of those that believe only the SEC puts out NFL talent.

Hmmm. ....Zeitler has seemed to transition pretty well even though he was not playing against that awesome SEC talent. You must be right though I mean Wisconsin does a terrible job of generating NFL caliber offensive linemen.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
This is easy,His name is WARMACK.CHECK HIM OUT.I like him best.Nothing wrong with the two you guys are talking about, I just feel this guy is the best available.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
I am not sure about this answer....most good/great NFL centers play Center...not guard or tackle but Center...most teams do not move the Center around...most good/great centers are the heart of the Offense...so I guess him being more versatile does not make him the better option...I love the SEC talent thing...that means nothing to me....there are just as many good D lineman in the other leagues also....