Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24488
Default NFL releases Combine invite list

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Just throwing this out there:
Arthur Brown highest rated LB at 90.3
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233
Default Re: NFL releases Combine invite list

Like the little analysis blurbs. I guess they haven't got around to giving all the underclassmen grades.

A. Brown having highest grade means to me LB class is weak. I'm hoping big time that we fill those needs in free agency.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Apparently Swearinger is not going to be the sleeper late round pick many think.

Rambo and TJ McDonlad have some pretty low grades.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24488

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Like the little analysis blurbs. I guess they haven't got around to giving all the underclassmen grades.

A. Brown having highest grade means to me LB class is weak. I'm hoping big time that we fill those needs in free agency.
Why does it mean that?
It is a 90.3

It is one of the higher grades for a defender (and overall).
Dude just can't stop getting nothing but hate.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Just throwing this out there:
Arthur Brown highest rated LB at 90.3
NFL Comparison: NaVorro Bowman

I'm interested to see what he'll run at the combine. Plays very fast. I'd expect a 4.5.

Oh, and NATIBENGALS, we get that you don't like him. It's ok.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8939

Quote:

A. Brown having highest grade means to me LB class is weak
. I'm hoping big time that we fill those needs in free agency.
Disagree, this is actually a pretty strong LB class. There will be at least 3 that go in the 1st round.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Why does it mean that?
It is a 90.3

It is one of the higher grades for a defender (and overall).
Dude just can't stop getting nothing but hate.
He gets plenty of love. Too much IMO. People have been raving about him. His brother fumbling his arse off for the Eagles at the end of the year gave him a spotlight and people have took off with him. Oh the awesome guy who transferred from Miami and plays LB... And then I saw him play and came back down to earth.

Always thought Te'O was questionable when people were calling him a top 10 pick. Now he is dropping. Ogletree gets a lot of love (too much) because he is the best athlete from Georgia's D. Like I have seen some say Minter would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick if this was a stronger LB class.

I dislike the LB class a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
NFL Comparison: NaVorro Bowman

I'm interested to see what he'll run at the combine. Plays very fast. I'd expect a 4.5.

Oh, and NATIBENGALS, we get that you don't like him. It's ok.
Better be a 4.5 because a slow small LB should never be able to get a 90.

I'd take Keith Rivers 10/10 times if the option was to draft him or A. Brown coming out of college with the LB needs we have right now. That's one of the reasons Brown scares me so much.

And the fact Zimmer has made UDFA Burfict and Raider cast of Howard look pretty damn good at WILL. I just don't think using a first round pick on the position is worth it. We can find a damn good option with far less of an opportunity cost than using a first round pick on one.

And Marvin won't start a rookie at MLB, especially an undersized one, so that takes Brown out of the MLB spot and basically locks him in to WILL.

I like Howard. I like Lemur. And if Mays can't cut it at S I want to try him at LB. I'd rather go with any of those three at WILL than using a first round pick on A. Brown.

Just some of my explanation for not being on the bandwagon.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:

The FA market is pretty bad. Especially for MIKE and WILL.

Also, does your device auto-correct your spelling when you type Lamur? It's Lamur, not Lemur.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Better be a 4.5 because a slow small LB should never be able to get a 90.

I'd take Keith Rivers 10/10 times if the option was to draft him or A. Brown coming out of college with the LB needs we have right now. That's one of the reasons Brown scares me so much.

And the fact Zimmer has made UDFA Burfict and Raider cast of Howard look pretty damn good at WILL. I just don't think using a first round pick on the position is worth it. We can find a damn good option with far less of an opportunity cost than using a first round pick on one.

And Marvin won't start a rookie at MLB, especially an undersized one, so that takes Brown out of the MLB spot and basically locks him in to WILL.

I like Howard. I like Lemur. And if Mays can't cut it at S I want to try him at LB. I'd rather go with any of those three at WILL than using a first round pick on A. Brown.

Just some of my explanation for not being on the bandwagon.
I just think this whole "undersized" thing gets taken too far. Russell Wilson was SEVERELY undersized, and he made a good case for ROY. Vontaze Burfict played at 240lbs all season, how did he look? Brown is listed at 231lbs. 9lbs difference, but Brown is a lot leaner than Burfict. Just way too much being put into his size right now. What I see on tape shows me enough to make me look past his size, because despite being a few pounds under the ideal weight, he's a lot more tenacious than bigger guys in this draft.

I don't see ANY reason why he couldn't play MLB in the NFL. If Marvin wants him at 240lbs, they'll get him there, it's not that hard. You can't teach speed.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Interesting name missing from the list:
Eddie Lacy
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Interesting name missing from the list:
Eddie Lacy
He's there, they just don't have him rated yet.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
He's there, they just don't have him rated yet.
So they do, my bad. Was checking based on grade and position, and didn't see him on the first page at all. I'm interested to see his evaluation. Currently Bernard rated highest RB with Joseph Randle behind him.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
So they do, my bad. Was checking based on grade and position, and didn't see him on the first page at all. I'm interested to see his evaluation. Currently Bernard rated highest RB with Joseph Randle behind him.
I would imagine they'd have him either 1st or 2nd. Comes down to what you're looking for in a back I guess. Lacy gives you an NFL ready back in my opinion, while Bernard gives you a ton of potential, but needs a little time to grow into a starting role.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51146

Interesting to see Zac Dysert has a higher rating, although small, than Matt Barkley.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-220
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
Interesting to see Zac Dysert has a higher rating, although small, than Matt Barkley.
How is that surprising?...USC QBs ****....lol
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
How is that surprising?...USC QBs ****....lol
That and anyone that has watched Dysert throughout his Miami career has seen his passing ability. He has suffered from less than stellar receivers (other than probably Nick Harwell), but he is a pretty accurate touch passer. He is also decent when scrambling. He will need to go to a team with an above average OL to be successful in the NFL.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

I really havent seen too much on A Brown outside of reading the lovers and haters on the board. I watched the Oregon / K-State but he didnt really stand out to me. I guess I need someone to sell me on him. I personally like Ogletree because the guy is an athetic FREAK who is most likely going to be an OLB in the NFL. I will tell you that seeing A. Brown compared to Navarro Bowman is extremely appealing. Bowman is very underrated in my opinion. He is a great LB.

RB position is going to be based off what type of back the Bengals are looking for. Does anyone know what type of back Hue will be looking for? Lacy? Bernard? I personally want to see Lacy in Bengals stripes. Bernard would be great as well. A lot of people have been clamoring about Michael from A&M but he seems to be hurt way too much.

WR, Safety will also need to be addressed!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I really havent seen too much on A Brown outside of reading the lovers and haters on the board. I watched the Oregon / K-State but he didnt really stand out to me. I guess I need someone to sell me on him. I personally like Ogletree because the guy is an athetic FREAK who is most likely going to be an OLB in the NFL. I will tell you that seeing A. Brown compared to Navarro Bowman is extremely appealing. Bowman is very underrated in my opinion. He is a great LB.

RB position is going to be based off what type of back the Bengals are looking for. Does anyone know what type of back Hue will be looking for? Lacy? Bernard? I personally want to see Lacy in Bengals stripes. Bernard would be great as well. A lot of people have been clamoring about Michael from A&M but he seems to be hurt way too much.

WR, Safety will also need to be addressed!
Most appealing thing to me about Brown is his ability to shed blocks. There were so many times I would see our LBs (mainly Maualuga) get stuck on blocks and see the ball carrier run right by them. Brown adding some more strength should allow him to do this even better. Ogletree is probably a better athlete, but he is somewhat raw at LB and is not as good at shedding blocks (yet anyway).
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3942

Duke Williams NFL Comparison: Chris Crocker

Way to doom the guy nfl.com
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Duke Williams NFL Comparison: Chris Crocker

Way to doom the guy nfl.com
They aren't exactly wrong though. Reading the analysis both from NFL.com and from cbssports.com, very similar behavior as Crocker portrays.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40125

All the Rambo fans around here can't be pleased with these rankings. 18th best Safety with a 61.4
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2709

I'm thinking that linebacker is a little further down our wish list than some may expect.

Brandon Joiner, Aaron Maybin, and Thomas Howard are all new faces compared to our 2012 crew. Vontaze seems a lock for the middle.

Offense was MUCH lower ranked than Defense and will command earlier attention in the draft. Kirkpatrick is still iffy at corner and Reggie Nelson's counterpart is unlikely to be older than 35... Taylor Mays will be a run support safety, but he's a soup sandwich in coverage.

I'll be shocked if we go LB with either of those first two picks. Maybe at the bottom of the 2nd round.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

They made a very strong case for Ogletree doing better at WLB than MLB in the NFL due to his speed and ability to close. Very good analysis.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3942

Quote:
They aren't exactly wrong though. Reading the analysis both from NFL.com and from cbssports.com, very similar behavior as Crocker portrays.
Oh yes the comparison is a good one. Intelligent read and react safety that can slide down and cover slot receivers man to man also very physical likes to hit people. Hes one of my favorite safeties in the draft because he does it all deep center field coverage, in-the-box run stuffer, and slot corner. He would probably have a higher rating if he didnt have all the off field stuff against him.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

I think the biggest surprise and snub is TE Michael Williams was not invited. Also snubbed were Branden Smith and Kenn Tate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
All the Rambo fans around here can't be pleased with these rankings. 18th best Safety with a 61.4
I saw that and just shrugged. The lowest I had seen him rated was 10th best which I thought was low but possible. 18th just seems laughable. Now Shawn Williams being ranked that high is worrisome, as I was hoping he would a slide under the radar to our 4th. Now he looks like we would have to use our 3rd on him.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...