Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152
Default Re: Anquan Boldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
I would love the signing. Boldin could give some tips and become a mentor for Sanu since there a similar type of WR. Meanwhile he would be making clutch catches to continue drives for our offense. Our 3rd down conversion rate would improve that's for sure.
Hold on! He makes great catches but the throws are there for him to make those catches.Dalton's throws are off target alot and receivers make adjustments.This is why I'm wondering about Dalton because he hasn't been as accurate on open throws as everyone said he would.I think the best deep ball thrown this past year was the one by Sanu to Green.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

Ravens are gonna keep him.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
...yet.

Who knows how good Sanu will be? If he ever becomes as good as Boldin, we'll all be ecstatic. I don't know his ceiling but I like his game. To me, he's a definite keeper. It's a shame it took so long to give him his shot.

I don't see much about Boldin to even complain about. He exploded into the NFL and has been excellent ever since.
I completely agree that we need to develop players, but we're also at the point in time where you can't go into the offseason hoping that a guy develops. This team has made the playoffs 2 years in a row and can't afford to have a hole on the roster.

The other thing that always drives me nuts is that people think that you can't develop a guy unless he starts and plays every down of every game. You CAN develop players in different roles. They don't have to be the starter to make tremendous strides.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 107

Simply put, he'll cost too much. If salary weren't an issue, I'd be all for it. In the real world, I'd pass.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3536

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Yuuup

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6495

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Their cap room is a huge problem, albeit a nice one to have considering where it took them.

They will have no choice but to unload some serious talent.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19899
bengals Re: Anquan Boldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Why not post the entire conversation rather than a snippet. Oh that is right you prefer just to stir the pot.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Their cap room is a huge problem, albeit a nice one to have considering where it took them.

They will have no choice but to unload some serious talent.
Boldin is 32 and there wont be a huge demand for slow possesion type WR's in free agency. I think he works something out with Baltimore to retire a Raven.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I completely agree that we need to develop players, but we're also at the point in time where you can't go into the offseason hoping that a guy develops. This team has made the playoffs 2 years in a row and can't afford to have a hole on the roster.

The other thing that always drives me nuts is that people think that you can't develop a guy unless he starts and plays every down of every game. You CAN develop players in different roles. They don't have to be the starter to make tremendous strides.
Nobody would like to see a proven veteran WR brought in more than me. I'm tired of that hoping for the unknown too when the window is open like it is now. Get that roster as tight as you can and go make a playoff run.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1343

As much as I would like a hard nosed WR like Boldin here; seems to be he won't be the one coming. He was just on the Rome show and said he 100% plans to be back and he said he plans on retiring as a Raven and said its the last place he wants to play.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2132

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanHero View Post
If you don't have faith in Sanu and MLJ just yet, Boldin would be the perfect "rental receiver" for the Bengals. He's probably not getting a long term contract from anyone, so give him a fair, maybe front loaded, two year contract that will allow Sanu and MLJ to learn and grow while having a guy who can still play at a pretty high level. Yeah, I'd definitely be on board a Green/Boldin pairing, the upside far outweighs the down.
Thats the thing, sure I like Sanu and Jones, but let them progress in their roles (slot and #4) and go with a known #2 wideout to form a great WR core...rather than hope for good enough. This could be an ideal fit financially and it allows time for those guys to takeover eventually.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9673

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange85 View Post
As much as I would like a hard nosed WR like Boldin here; seems to be he won't be the one coming. He was just on the Rome show and said he 100% plans to be back and he said he plans on retiring as a Raven and said its the last place he wants to play.
Correct.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cut-by-ravens/

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
If Flacco's agent doesn't budge, Reed gets a good first year number and Kruger gets a long term deal...there won't be any money left for him anyway. He says he will retire now, but he has plenty left in the tank, I doubt he sits.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27504

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanHero View Post
If you don't have faith in Sanu and MLJ just yet, Boldin would be the perfect "rental receiver" for the Bengals. He's probably not getting a long term contract from anyone, so give him a fair, maybe front loaded, two year contract that will allow Sanu and MLJ to learn and grow while having a guy who can still play at a pretty high level. Yeah, I'd definitely be on board a Green/Boldin pairing, the upside far outweighs the down.
Be great for 1 year to mentor Sanu as well.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

Pass on Boldin.

He's on the downside of his career, and wants to remain a Raven. I would bet he would take a pay cut to remain in purple than make a killer payday and wear stripes.

I would rather see the money invested in a young player, like Bowe, who is still improving, or used to get a safety like Goldson, Laundry, Byrd, Quin...
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil413 View Post
If Flacco's agent doesn't budge, Reed gets a good first year number and Kruger gets a long term deal...there won't be any money left for him anyway. He says he will retire now, but he has plenty left in the tank, I doubt he sits.
Can't disagree with that. But who's to say Boldin doesn't take a pay cut to stay? I think he might have to if he doesn't want to retire. I think they'll work something out bc he was a huge cog in the SB run and without anyone opposite of Torrey Smith and an aged D, it would be wise of them to keep that O core together to make another run. Gonna be fun to watch it all play out and how much money Flacco gets.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Pass on Boldin.

He's on the downside of his career, and wants to remain a Raven. I would bet he would take a pay cut to remain in purple than make a killer payday and wear stripes.

I would rather see the money invested in a young player, like Bowe, who is still improving, or used to get a safety like Goldson, Laundry, Byrd, Quin...
That's who I've been pounding the drums for on this board. Bowe would be the ideal fit here next to AJ with Sanu in the slot.

The other person I want in the draft is Lattimore, even though most people will disagree bc of injury. But if you look him up there is nothing the kid can't do.

Man, that would be a dangerous O.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27504

Quote:
That's who I've been pounding the drums for on this board. Bowe would be the ideal fit here next to AJ with Sanu in the slot.

The other person I want in the draft is Lattimore, even though most people will disagree bc of injury. But if you look him up there is nothing the kid can't do.

Well we can forget about boldin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cut-by-ravens/

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

As I mentioned in Sunset's draft thread...

I like Lattimore if the Bengals get another RB in FA to take up the slack for the season, like Steven Jackson (who I know many think is done). Let Jackson start, spell with GE, and give Lattimore time to recover and don't push him in the lineup until late in the season or even next year. Treat Jackson as a bandaid signing and put GE on short yardage and 3rd down duties.

But that's some big splashes in FA, and don't know if the Bengals will make those kinds of moves. I hate to think about what the team could have done if they used all of their cap space...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Can't disagree with that. But who's to say Boldin doesn't take a pay cut to stay? I think he might have to if he doesn't want to retire. I think they'll work something out bc he was a huge cog in the SB run and without anyone opposite of Torrey Smith and an aged D, it would be wise of them to keep that O core together to make another run. Gonna be fun to watch it all play out and how much money Flacco gets.
I don't have hard numbers but they had other free agents like Carey Willliams and have to account for the draft so they'll have to rid themselves of a few deals to even throw say 1.5 million at him for a year. At only 32, he played well enough to get much more than that. Its one thing to take a paycut to be a backup OL or LB to win a ring, but I have a harder time believing a WR that is known for making tough catches across the middle will take a cheap deal...he must really love the Ravens then so more power to him.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7664

Mohamad Sanu.

Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35462

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
We have the much younger version of him (only faster) his name is Mohammed Sanu.
That's a bit rich. I like Sanu but I'm not sure he's gonna be the beast Boldin was when he was younger. Even this year in the playoffs at 32, dude was just awesome, I'm not so sure Sanu will ever be on that level. That's not to say he won't be good, I think he will.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Nobody would like to see a proven veteran WR brought in more than me. I'm tired of that hoping for the unknown too when the window is open like it is now. Get that roster as tight as you can and go make a playoff run.
I agree, but I'd have to go w/ Wallace. Boldin is older, more injury prone, and slower than Wallace. He does fight for the ball well, but what’s overlooked is that he NEEDS to fight for the ball because he struggles to get separation.
He also claims he’s retiring if Baltimore releases him. I don’t buy it, but he claims it.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6747

I don't know going out a SB winner with a couple of contracts under his belt wouldn't be a bad way to go out. I'm luke warm on that scenario but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2485

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Yeah, I would be upset a little bit if I was a Cardinal fan...Guy is all over Baltimore even though he played 7 season with Ari and only 3 with Baltimore he claims he is now always a Raven and will retire as a Raven.