Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014
Default Talk beginning to churn

about Mike Wallace landing in Cincinnati....

Per Stripe Hype...

Quote:
The Bengals offense was non-existent*down the stretch of the 2012 season, and it *will hopefully lead the club to go out and find more playmakers via free agency and the NFL Draft. One of the top playmakers on the market this offseason will be*Pittsburgh*Steeelers wide receiver Mike Wallace. He’s*one of the NFL’s most explosive receivers as he’s averaged 17.2 yards per catch in his four-year career.

NFL.com floated the idea of Wallace signing with the Bengals.....

"Mike Wallace to the Cincinnati Bengals - Embittered with his lack of targets and a big-time contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Wallace could go the revenge-relationship route and sign with the divisional rival Bengals. Wallace’s speed and A.J. Green‘s all-around awesomeness could be a devastating combo for opposing defenses. And let’s not forget Wallace would be able to flaunt his hot new fling twice a year against his former team."

CBS Sports also believes Cincinnati is a possible landing spot.....

"Cincinnati:*The*Bengals*are expected to have $55 million in cap space, most in the league. But the franchise doesn’t usually make a big splash in free agency. But how would you like to be*Andy Dalton*and see*A.J. Green*on one side, Wallace on the other? It’s the kind of bold move that could lift the Bengals to the*Super Bowl.
I know its stripe hype but the fact that other sources are beginning to bring the topic up, I figured I would throw this topic back on the board.

Would you want Wallace here? How much would you pay him?

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1485
Default Re: Talk beginning to churn

I just don't think he's worth the 10M he's going to ask for, especially for multiple years. AJ is going to be worth much more than that when he's resigned. Think that kind of money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10392

People said the same crap last year. I remember ESPN saying how smart it would be for Cincy to pick up Wallace and that we had the cap space to do it. This is not gonna happen.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 780

One thing I've learned over the years, if it's a big name, or at least a player you've heard of that's in their prime, the bengals will not sign him. If they were to sign any free agent wide receiver, it will either be someone over the hill or a teams 4th or 5th string wide receiver that we bring in to be our number 2.

You just have to face it, if we are getting a new wide receiver, they will be a rookie....or worthless.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3222

We need more thunder to AJ's lightening. Wallace is a GREAT deep threat, but I think I'd rather have a stop gap like Anquan Boldin to teach Sanu had to be an abusive and physical possession receiver.

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7227

Mike Brown not going to pay that much.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

Per Stripe Hype...

I know its stripe hype but the fact that other sources are beginning to bring the topic up, I figured I would throw this topic back on the board.

i could get used to this mike wallace would be epic.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Talk beginning to churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

Per Stripe Hype...

There is a word they use thag sums it up for me-embittered. If he is unhappy being part of a fabled franchise like Pittsburgh .....well you can take it from there. Or you can make up some good reasons why he would be much happier in Cincinnati with AJ as the primary target.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger phoenix View Post
One thing I've learned over the years, if it's a big name, or at least a player you've heard of that's in their prime, the bengals will not sign him. If they were to sign any free agent wide receiver, it will either be someone over the hill or a teams 4th or 5th string wide receiver that we bring in to be our number 2.

You just have to face it, if we are getting a new wide receiver, they will be a rookie....or worthless.
Joined in February. Been missing this.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I've been reading for years but I just never really felt the need to post that much but I decided to go ahead and join. I have an app on my phone that lets me post any time during the day so I figured it might be fun.

Like I said I've been reading it for years, how else would I know that you are one of the uber optimists on here during the offseason and argue with neek all the time over free agency? Lol

And why should when I joined have anything to do with the validity of my opinion? I'm not all negative, I believe this team has a good young nucleus and should be good for a long time. They are just not big players in free agency, but people will get their hopes up every year because there is a bunch of money to spend.

And let's go ahead and look at the free agent wide receivers they have picked up over the last few years. Coles, Bryant, T.O. Doesn't seem like a good track record to me. If there is a good wide receiver I forgot, please point it out to me.

Last edited by ginger phoenix; 02-07-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Rather get a top receiver in the draft. It would be a fraction of the cost and then we'd still be able to afford to keep guys like Atkins, Dunlap, Gresham, and AJ Green.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3302

I'd pay 8.5 million for him. I think he is worth it. I want him. Will he come here? No. He will not. So, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Joined in 2009. Owns the place.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
Joined in 2009. Owns the place.
Apparently.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Mike Brown not going to pay that much.
It's not just Mike Brown, I also wouldn't pay that much for him. He isn't elite, he's good, but not worth the elite money he wants. He's more of a 5-7 million a year, not 10-11 mill a year, which he feels he is worth.

I'd be all about it if we could get him for a reasonable pricetag.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6521

Quote:
There is a word they use thag sums it up for me-embittered. If he is unhappy being part of a fabled franchise like Pittsburgh .....well you can take it from there. Or you can make up some good reasons why he would be much happier in Cincinnati with AJ as the primary target.
$$

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
I'm of the opinion, and it's been proven many times, that a landing spot for a FA usually comes down to money, as has already been said. The player may say a lot of this and that, but the signature goes where the money is. Relatively short career for NFL players. Even the longest of carers are still short compared to the working stiff.

I believe wholeheartedly that most NFL players would play in Nome or Timbuktu or Afgahanistan if that's where the most money was.

WTS, the most money would not be coming from here.

Make no mistake though, he would be a BIG help here if he only ran 9's all day.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
I'd pay 8.5 million for him. I think he is worth it. I want him. Will he come here? No. He will not. So, I'm not going to worry about it.
He will come here if we pay him and that's $10-11 million a year is what he is looking for. We are one of a handful of team that can spend that kind of money on a WR.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
He will come here if we pay him and that's $10-11 million a year is what he is looking for. We are one of a handful of team that can spend that kind of money on a WR.
Then we should. Should we not? I mean here me out. This guy had an off year last year and was still a beast. We would be putting him SECOND to Adriel Jeremiah Green, a Top 3 WR in the league. Arguably, this guy is the fastest WR in the league, built better, and more top heavy than a Baby Hawk. AJ-Wallace-Hawk-Sanu-Jones. Yes please. I don't know WHO could say no to that. Play a game of Madden and come back, saying, "Yeah, that's not going to work."
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
Then we should. Should we not? I mean here me out. This guy had an off year last year and was still a beast. We would be putting him SECOND to Adriel Jeremiah Green, a Top 3 WR in the league. Arguably, this guy is the fastest WR in the league, built better, and more top heavy than a Baby Hawk. AJ-Wallace-Hawk-Sanu-Jones. Yes please. I don't know WHO could say no to that. Play a game of Madden and come back, saying, "Yeah, that's not going to work."
I don't think we should lock ourselves into a multi year deal at that price point. If he wants to take 10 for a 1 yr deal, do it all day. Multiple yrs is where it starts to sting.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'm of the opinion, and it's been proven many times, that a landing spot for a FA usually comes down to money, as has already been said. The player may say a lot of this and that, but the signature goes where the money is. Relatively short career for NFL players. Even the longest of carers are still short compared to the working stiff.

I believe wholeheartedly that most NFL players would play in Nome or Timbuktu or Afgahanistan if that's where the most money was.

WTS, the most money would not be coming from here.

Make no mistake though, he would be a BIG help here if he only ran 9's all day.
I said nothing about money. I have no doubt he would come here for the money. Not sure how that relates to attitude. Then he would just be very rich with a crappy attitude.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
$$
The dollar signs relate to my post how? Did you see dollars mentioned in my post?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
The dollar signs relate to my post how? Did you see dollars mentioned in my post?

$$
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
I said nothing about money. I have no doubt he would come here for the money. Not sure how that relates to attitude. Then he would just be very rich with a crappy attitude.
Maybe if he's very rich he has a lot less to be crappy about. That's one of his beefs gone. And he would catch 70-90 passes, which would vanquish the other.

I'm not delusional, so I don't think he'll ever come here. But it would be really nice to have him. Watch the offense come alive then. Rookies don't always show as rookies.

Time to stop this counting on unknowns and being bitten in the butt from it. You wanna make a SB run, cross those unknowns off the damn list. How many years do we have to be haunted by the same things before somebody does something?

How about this? Poll the locker room and see how they feel about bringing in a guy who averages 17 yards a catch and I'll accept the vote.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 59

Only steelers receiver we get Is emmanual sanders